breastfeeding & co-sleeping survey (x-posted in Family Bed) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Co-Sleeping Survey
I received this email from a friend. It's a survey to tell about how you co-sleep. Please read this and take the survey at http://www.cosleepingsurvey.com/

Quote:
Hello breastfeeding supporters and educators,
As you well know, the best food for a new child is breast milk. You also know that not everyone believes that fact. The formula companies have successfully "separated" today's woman from her breast, at least mentally. The leaders of the Le Leche League are trying to undue this unfortunate shift of culture, and we thank you for it.
As you may also know, many of these same "Big Corp" interests are attacking the Family Bed saying it can't be done safely. They, for all intensive purposes, have a firm grasp on America's idea about the ONLY safe place that a child should sleep, a safety approved crib. Co-sleeping or bed-sharing can be an integral part of most breastfeeding situations. It makes it easier, which helps extend the duration. However, there is a very real movement to officially label co-sleeping as NEGLECT. This would be a major step back for breastfeeding.
There are important bed-sharing guidelines that need to be followed, and not omitted. Public health departments and the general public are being bombarded with news stories calling for the end of co-sleeping. They say it's dangerous and can't be done safely. You as a professional know different.
Help get the message out to save this beneficial parenting choice. Please ask your successful co-sleeping families to help prove something that Mr. Big Corp would like to hide...that people can and are co-sleeping/bed-sharing safely.
www.co-sleepingsurvey.com is a 30 second survey that allows parents who have or are currently co-sleeping/bed-sharing to count themselves as safe parents. The website has been live for under a week and over 1000 people have signed up. Most of them are breastfeeding women. This number is desperately needed to prove that co-sleeping and bed-sharing can be done safely and the only thing that needs to be abolished is the discrimination against this valuable practice.
Thanks,
Co-sleepingsurvey.com
#2 of 4 Old 05-31-2008, 10:42 PM

I filled it out - thanks!

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
#3 of 4 Old 06-01-2008, 11:42 PM

Me too!
#4 of 4 Old 06-05-2008, 11:27 AM

I'm a little suspicious about where this "survey" comes from and the purpose it will serve. I have seen no evidence that La Leche League (which is the proper spelling and is not proceeded by "the" since that would make it "the the milk league") is in any way involved with this "survey." The address on the "survey" website matches the address of a company that sells a product - a bolster of some kind that purports to make co-sleeping safer. So my strong suspicion is that this "survey" is actually just marketing for a co-sleeping "aid."

Sorry to be so cynical but the e-mail copied above arrived to many as spam and may be an unauthorized use of the LLL name.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page