need help writing a letter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-12-2008, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
to my MP

i got an e-mail yesterday abput a pertition to the government about a BF law in UK. htey government respons was tha yes BF is important and best for baby etc and that the NHS has lots of initiaves to up the rates of BF in UK

BUT the part that got me and a few other mums angry is this bit

Quote:
In addition, the Sex Discrimination Act 1975, as amended by the Sex Discrimination (Amendment of Legislation) Regulations 2008, prohibits discrimination on grounds of pregnancy or maternity in the fields of goods, facilities or services, and premises. For example, if a mother who was breastfeeding her baby in a cafe was asked to leave, she could bring a claim of direct sex discrimination against the proprietor, providing her baby is not older than 6 months.
this is a step forward but what about us mothers with babies under 12 months but over 6 month old. my DD and i could be asked to stop with no comeback but my friend with a 4 month old can make a claim under the act if she is asked to stop. its totaly unfair. i mean why even put an age on it all BF should be left alone

Scotland's law protects up untill 2 year old
the WHO recomends till 2 and beyond
the AAP recomends till 1 and beyond

the UK NHS recomend Exclusinve BF till 6 months then Berast feeding and other foods. BUT hte law will only protect infants UNDER 6 months.

i want to write an informative letter to my MP voicing my displeasure and concern about this but have no idea how to word such letter

help! please!

thanks

(i hope i havent broken the UA with this, if i have let me know and ill fix it)

Here is link to the page with the govnerments response on it
http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page15731.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-13-2008, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's horrible! There should be no limit, and if there is a limit, it should be something reasonable, like the WHO minimum. This makes no sense at all.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page