Yay Mr. Rogers! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-07-2008, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While I wasn't as jazzed about the 10-second token mom-feeding-baby-with-a-bottle that was thrown in, there was a segment on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood today in which we saw little creatures of all kinds nursing - including human mothers breastfeeding. Breasts! Nipples! Babies! On Mr. Rogers!

I was shocked, I tell you, shocked. :

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#2 of 22 Old 07-07-2008, 04:48 PM

Cool!
#3 of 22 Old 07-07-2008, 05:13 PM

Oops, double post!

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#4 of 22 Old 07-07-2008, 05:18 PM

I've seen that one! They do have one babe with a bottle, but most of them were breastfeeding. WTG Mr Rogers!!

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#5 of 22 Old 07-08-2008, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I saw that too -- it was great!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#6 of 22 Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 AM

I believe I saw that as well. I think Mr. Rogers handled many issues of childhood very well. It was such a gentle, intelligent, and warm show.
#7 of 22 Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 PM

That's great

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#8 of 22 Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 PM

I watched the same show with DS1 & 2 and was so thrilled to see several babies cry, then latch on and suckle at the breast. Breastfeeding appeared to be natural, beautiful, and easy. As for the bottlefeeding, Mister Rogers is always about inclusiveness. For some children, bottlefeeding is the norm. At the least, I'm glad he didn't exclude those children who don't have the joy of breastfeeding.

He then talked about how all mothers care about how their children are fed. And how about today when he showed tofu being made? My oldest was so happy, he loves tofood as he calls it.

Did you know that Mister Rogers was a vegetarian, never drank or smoked, had two kids, three grandkids, and swam every day of his life? He weighed himself every morning after praying for all of the children and adults who asked for his prayers. His weight was always 143, as he put it - the numbers of letters in "I Love You." A beautiful man, I just wish he was still alive so I could share with him what his show has meant to me and my boys.
#9 of 22 Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 PM

I love Mr. Rogers!

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#10 of 22 Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 AM

Aww, He's so great! :
#11 of 22 Old 07-10-2008, 02:20 AM

DS and I watched that episode too, just a couple of days ago... He was very interested and got right up next to the screen and we talked about how babies drink their mama's milk, and I asked him if he remembered drinking mama's milk and he said yes (he weaned at 16mo; he's now 23mo).

Then later I saw him holding his Pooh bear up to his chest like a nursing baby. I love my kid...

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:
#12 of 22 Old 07-11-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom2e View Post
I watched the same show with DS1 & 2 and was so thrilled to see several babies cry, then latch on and suckle at the breast. Breastfeeding appeared to be natural, beautiful, and easy. As for the bottlefeeding, Mister Rogers is always about inclusiveness. For some children, bottlefeeding is the norm. At the least, I'm glad he didn't exclude those children who don't have the joy of breastfeeding.

He then talked about how all mothers care about how their children are fed. And how about today when he showed tofu being made? My oldest was so happy, he loves tofood as he calls it.

Did you know that Mister Rogers was a vegetarian, never drank or smoked, had two kids, three grandkids, and swam every day of his life? He weighed himself every morning after praying for all of the children and adults who asked for his prayers. His weight was always 143, as he put it - the numbers of letters in "I Love You." A beautiful man, I just wish he was still alive so I could share with him what his show has meant to me and my boys.
Yup! I saw an episode the other day where he was showing healthy foods and had a bunch of examples of how tofu is used. It was neat to see what those things looked like in the 80's!
#13 of 22 Old 07-11-2008, 02:08 PM

Watching Mr.Rogers now.
He's so respectful to children, it brings tears to my eyes.
:
#14 of 22 Old 07-11-2008, 02:53 PM

The world needs more Mr. Rogers!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#15 of 22 Old 07-11-2008, 04:12 PM

I was just coming on to post about this too! I saw the episode w/DS1 a couple of days ago - bf'ing really was shown as a completely easy, natural thing. And I wasn't as bothered as I might have been by the bottlefeeding mama - she was bottlefeeding just as tenderly as the breastfeeding mamas were. I was also struck by the diversity of the mamas - Asian, African American, and Caucasian...and of course the fact that the clip actually showed the babies latching on - with the nipple exposed!!!! (hard to believe the censors didn't get to that one...pretty edgy for 1984!!!!)

Way to go Mr. Rogers!!! We need many more people like him in this world.
#16 of 22 Old 07-11-2008, 04:20 PM

I frickin' love Mr. Rogers!

Can you imagine that clip in a modern show? No way.

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#17 of 22 Old 07-11-2008, 09:38 PM

I remember wishing he were my Dad.

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :
#18 of 22 Old 07-14-2008, 11:38 PM

Dd LOVES Mister Rogers! I did too as a little girl (still do). She watches him everyday. I am so upset that we were on vacation last week and missed that episode. She is so interested when I nurse ds. I EPed with her so she doesn't remember the few times I nursed her. She would have loved to see other mommies nurse.

Marissa - Wife to Keith 6/28/03 and Mommy to Sienna 3/17/06 and Carter 5/10/08 born on his due date!
I love being a SAHM!  EPed with dd.  Breastfed for 2 years with ds.   
#19 of 22 Old 07-15-2008, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I don't know how to come by old episodes, but it was episode #1536 from 1984.

Pretty boundary-pushing for '84 I'd say!

#20 of 22 Old 07-15-2008, 01:58 AM

My mom saw him talk at the Washington Press Club in DC. She was very impressed. It was in the middle of a stressful day at work, and she said just listening to him made her feel relaxed and safe. She was a very gentle parent herself, who nursed me for 2.5 yrs. She loved Mr. Rogers, and it was usually the only tv she ever watched when I was a wee one.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#21 of 22 Old 07-19-2008, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

and getting off topic, but yesterday he showed a kitten being born... "and once its mother licks it clean, it will look for one of her nipples, so it can drink its mothers milk."

My partner swears that this kind of stuff was on TV all the time in the mid-80s, like Buffy St. Marie nursing Cody (sp?) on Sesame Street and animals being born and the like. Granted, I watched less TV, but was blatant display of nipples (which were not shown when Buffy nursed Cody) and positive talk about breastfeeding actually widespread in the 80s? I missed it...

#22 of 22 Old 07-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Banned

Just thinking about Mr. Rogers gives me the warm fuzzies!

I tried to find the clip on youtube, to no avail. However, I did find this bfing in public clip, unrelated to Mr. R, and got such a kick out of it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rrnxtiYmXig

"breastfeeding in public JEDI!"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page