AOL "article" on cross-nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-29-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a really awful piece of "news" on cross-nursing. The worst part is that it comes up at the top of AOL's homepage today with a "BREASTFEEDING GONE TOO FAR!" title - no doubt it will get a lot of readers.

Please add your comments if you're comfortable doing so.

http://www.parentdish.com/2008/07/28...438x1200327322
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-29-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested View Post
Here's a really awful piece of "news" on cross-nursing. The worst part is that it comes up at the top of AOL's homepage today with a "BREASTFEEDING GONE TOO FAR!" title - no doubt it will get a lot of readers.

Please add your comments if you're comfortable doing so.

http://www.parentdish.com/2008/07/28...438x1200327322
I'm flying out to CA tomorrow to visit family, and my sister has a 9-month old, and I have a 7-month old. I told her we should cross nurse to see if the LO's notice. I would have no problem whatsoever with her nursing my son. Maybe if it was someone who I was unsure of their history (drugs, diseases, etc.) then I'd be nervous, but with my sister it's not a big deal. I even told her to go out with her husband on a "date" and that I'd watch her son and nurse him if he got fussy.
#3 of 7 Old 07-29-2008, 02:35 PM

Just read it as well. The author was not completely negative about it she used more fact to present her case and magazine opion poll. In fact she had a two VERY ++++++ Cross nursing stories to share. What was disturbing was the headline on AOL's site. As a woman who has cross nursed two other babies I am very angry with the headlines. I wish I did not have AOL.:

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#4 of 7 Old 07-29-2008, 08:31 PM

I don't get the "45 percent of people think it's disgusting or weird" statistic at all! I mean, I probably wouldn't want a complete stranger to nurse my kid other than in an emergency, but a friend or family member if I'm not around - sure, why not?
#5 of 7 Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Surprisingly, the most ardent supporters of nursing, The La Leche League is firmly opposed to wet nurses or cross-nursing. According to their website:

A Leader shall not ever suggest an informal milk-donation arrangement, including wet-nursing or cross-nursing. If a mother wishes to discuss these options, the Leader's role is to provide information about the risks and benefits so that the mother can make her own informed decision based on her situation.
I don't get how they can say LLL is 'firmly opposed' from that quote. It is really puzzling.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#6 of 7 Old 07-30-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso-lynn View Post
I don't get how they can say LLL is 'firmly opposed' from that quote. It is really puzzling.
I know -- the official position is to have no position on it at all -- to stay entirely out of it, for liability reasons.

A far cry from "firmly opposed".

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
#7 of 7 Old 07-30-2008, 09:42 AM

If someone is comfortable with nursing a baby that is not theirs, or letting someone else nurse their baby, who cares what others think? There really are better things to worry about in my opinion. To me, it isn't much different than two babies sharing a bottle if there is only one bottle of formula available.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page