Mothering Forum banner

AOL "article" on cross-nursing

827 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  GooeyRN 
#1 ·
Here's a really awful piece of "news" on cross-nursing. The worst part is that it comes up at the top of AOL's homepage today with a "BREASTFEEDING GONE TOO FAR!" title - no doubt it will get a lot of readers.

Please add your comments if you're comfortable doing so.

http://www.parentdish.com/2008/07/28...438x1200327322

#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by interested View Post
Here's a really awful piece of "news" on cross-nursing. The worst part is that it comes up at the top of AOL's homepage today with a "BREASTFEEDING GONE TOO FAR!" title - no doubt it will get a lot of readers.

Please add your comments if you're comfortable doing so.

http://www.parentdish.com/2008/07/28...438x1200327322
I'm flying out to CA tomorrow to visit family, and my sister has a 9-month old, and I have a 7-month old. I told her we should cross nurse to see if the LO's notice. I would have no problem whatsoever with her nursing my son. Maybe if it was someone who I was unsure of their history (drugs, diseases, etc.) then I'd be nervous, but with my sister it's not a big deal. I even told her to go out with her husband on a "date" and that I'd watch her son and nurse him if he got fussy.

#3 ·
Just read it as well. The author was not completely negative about it she used more fact to present her case and magazine opion poll. In fact she had a two VERY ++++++ Cross nursing stories to share. What was disturbing was the headline on AOL's site. As a woman who has cross nursed two other babies I am very angry with the headlines. I wish I did not have AOL.
:

#5 ·
Quote:
Surprisingly, the most ardent supporters of nursing, The La Leche League is firmly opposed to wet nurses or cross-nursing. According to their website:

A Leader shall not ever suggest an informal milk-donation arrangement, including wet-nursing or cross-nursing. If a mother wishes to discuss these options, the Leader's role is to provide information about the risks and benefits so that the mother can make her own informed decision based on her situation.
I don't get how they can say LLL is 'firmly opposed' from that quote. It is really puzzling.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by soso-lynn View Post
I don't get how they can say LLL is 'firmly opposed' from that quote. It is really puzzling.
I know -- the official position is to have no position on it at all -- to stay entirely out of it, for liability reasons.

A far cry from "firmly opposed".

#7 ·
If someone is comfortable with nursing a baby that is not theirs, or letting someone else nurse their baby, who cares what others think? There really are better things to worry about in my opinion. To me, it isn't much different than two babies sharing a bottle if there is only one bottle of formula available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.