Didja Ever? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-24-2003, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you ever been in BabiesRus or Target or some other supermegastore and seen a very pregnant woman stockin' up on those big ole cans of formula? Didja ever have a violent urge to say "Hey. Ever hear of breastfeeding?"

This is why going into these stores is so depressing for me. I know every woman has her own story and but seriously. Can they really ALL be the victims of cancer or other impediments to BF? Can they really all have failed at BF before actually giving birth? I had to go in to buy a new carseat. Otherwise I avoid these depressing places.

Just such a

denny
#2 of 12 Old 10-24-2003, 10:30 AM

Yes, I have seen pregnant women in stores and wanted to just ask if they were even going to try to breastfeed, I think i would if I can ever find a tactful way to do it(I lack tact). There were a few times I was out with a nursling and ran into a prego and made it a point to nurse in fron t of her but they usually look as if I peed on their foot and qiuckly leave:
#3 of 12 Old 10-24-2003, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I never see anyone bfing in those stores, not even in the secluded room they offer. I saw one woman with a newborn in the cart and a propped bottle.
#4 of 12 Old 10-25-2003, 09:12 PM

I had to go buy formula last night. I was SO ashamed... *sigh* (ok so I'm not pregnant, and am nursing, but still...) I wish all the women who's milk comes in easily would just *breastfeed* or give me their milky ability! It's just not fair!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#5 of 12 Old 10-25-2003, 11:18 PM

A little OT but wanted to say:

Lisa to you mamma. One formula can out of desperation, necessity, and hunger should not be giving you guilt.

You are doing what you can, and what you know is best. Mamma, it takes living in a glass house before you can throw a stone. Or something like that : .

Anyway, you gave it a good college try and are still giving it hell. You did not opt out and stock up on the first day you found out you were pregnant. That, I have no respect for.

You, are trying. That in my book momma, is being a hero!

During this next couple of months try really hard to let yourself be human and realize that not all things can be so easy. Peace be with you and Orion.

Take it easy hun and keep on trying.

Jenny
#6 of 12 Old 10-25-2003, 11:26 PM

hey, I nursed in BRU whenever we were in there, and not in the crap nursing room ours has, but right out there on the sales floor in one of those over-priced gliders.

and lisa lynn, try not to waste our energy feeling guilty. there is no one on this earth who tried harder than you did to avoid formula. if someone gets snotty with you for using formula, take one of those big ass cans of enfamil or similac or whatever and brain them with it.
#7 of 12 Old 10-25-2003, 11:40 PM

Oh, I love those pricy gliders that recline in BRU. They're always right up in front of the glider display. We nurse sitting in the soft, comfy gliders with my feet up just about everytime we go there.

Never been in their nursing room...
#8 of 12 Old 10-27-2003, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

No,no,no,no,no! 1,000 times no! No guilt. If you tried and it did not work out then fine. It's the women who are 8 or 9 months prego and buying a year's worth of formula and bottles that just twist my melon. Hello? Like just give BF a try?

I always nursed in the comfy chairs and loved how the sales help would come by and remind me of the existence of the "nursing room".

Thanks so much. I'm happy right here where I can stare at the pregos buying the cans of formula.

denny
#9 of 12 Old 10-27-2003, 05:12 AM

Thanks for all the kind words everyone Oh and I am still breastfeeding , just have a very low supply

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#10 of 12 Old 10-27-2003, 07:57 AM

LL, I think anyone who has read the boards here would be happy to issue you your certificate--license to buy formula. And I could just see you there at the formula aisle, saying to other moms, "Oh, but you really should try this, and this, and this, and this, and this, before even thinking about stocking up on this stuff."
It's there to help your Orion grow, and thank goodness...but you regard it as what it is, and that's a backup safety net.
I think your experience is SURE to make you even more a lactivist.
And I have never been in the formula aisle in BRU, but I have not seen anyone bfing anywhere else in the store, either.
#11 of 12 Old 10-27-2003, 11:11 AM

Yeah, It's all about trying! Your doing that so no guilt needed. I've been there on the low supply, I was lucky enough to have a small freezer stash. But my milk supply did pick up, keep hope alive that your will too.
It just bugs me when the mama never even tries or acts like just the thought is nasty. I've never seen anyone nursing a BRU either but I do love those gliders, had to buy one.
#12 of 12 Old 10-27-2003, 12:08 PM

i stay out of the formula aisles. and when i DO go down that aisle for some reason (oh and i'm talking about walmart), i comment on how icky it is. oooh last time i was at walmart, there was this cute guy in the aisle with me....and the tv over my head was playing a formula ad and i said something to my mom about it and the cute guy looked at me and smiled.

wanna know something funny?? the formula/baby food/dipes at my walmart are in the same aisle as the cookies and junk food!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page