the importance of NIP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-25-2003, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to share my experience last weekend (you know how slow things get done with a baby).

I went to the mall with my sister, 4 year old, and 12 week baby. We went to have lunch at Billy Heartbeats which is a sitdown hamburger place. I guess I should state here that nursing is hard for me and I still learning (a whole different thread). I only nursed my 4 year old 2 weeks so NIP is new. We don't get out very much and this was one of the first times I NIP and certainaly the most open public place.

So here I was trying to get him to nurse while he is upset and distracted, thinking longingly of the bottle of EBM in my bag (due to low milk, I supplement after every feeding, but I don't feed a bottle without nursing KWIM). My sister watched me stuggling and then said "hey look your not the only one". I look across the restaurant and see a women nursing an older baby/toddler. That made me feel so much better and more secure in what I was attempting.

Thanks to that mama! I hope that one day I am that woman nursing an older baby and without even knowing it, encouraging a new mama to NIP.
#2 of 11 Old 10-26-2003, 01:52 AM

Good for you Victorian! Your post illustrates why I have taken to coaxing my 2 yr old to NIP whenever possible. For every ten people I horrify: there may be ONE who is encouraged, or at least intrigued about finding out how long you can/should nurse a child.

You go girl!
#3 of 11 Old 10-26-2003, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Keep it up!

Brava to both that woman nursing her toddler and your sis who both noticed and pointed it out to you. Things will get easier!
#4 of 11 Old 10-26-2003, 03:41 PM

Sounds like you're doing great, and thanks for the story. I get tired of being the only one nursing (or so it seems) and that gave me some hope that another mama will be encouraged from seeing us nurse now that I have a squirmy almost-toddler! It will get easier soon and you will be one of the encouragers too. Take care.
Peace.
#5 of 11 Old 10-26-2003, 04:44 PM

I just sent a thank you letter to a woman I met 3 years ago at a baby gym class who nursed her 2 yo. It was the first time I'd seen a baby older than 9 mo or so nursed--ever--and it really shook some backward ways of thinking I had about nursing toddlers.

Now I'm nursing my 18 mo and it's WONDERFUL! We NIP and I hope I'm inspiring other moms--or at least making it more acceptable by making it more visible.

Mel
#6 of 11 Old 10-26-2003, 05:25 PM

I got a few glares but also a really positive comment for NIPing my 7 month in a ride line at Hersheypark. Whenever I see another mom NIPing, I try to thank her (if feasible)--or at least give her a big huge smile. I've lost two friends over their embarassment at my NIPing. They were two friends I didn't mind losing. :-)
#7 of 11 Old 10-26-2003, 07:13 PM

wtg mama!!!

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#8 of 11 Old 10-26-2003, 07:19 PM

thank you muchly!
#9 of 11 Old 10-26-2003, 11:12 PM

SEE!!! that's exactly why I feel that NIP is essential to rising the BF population. I make it a point to NIP anywhere for that very reason, you never know when it may put a mom at ease.
DH and I went to a fair last year, DD was almost one. I saw a mama there with a very pretty new baby, I noticed her and the babe several times and teh baby was just fussy, fussy. I finally sat down to nurse DD because she was getting sleep, and the mam just stood bouncing her babe for a while, then she finally sat next to me and starting nursing her babe. We smiled at each other but she didn't speak english and my spanish is limited to talking about the baby's name, how old and saying how cute she was.
Anyway after we walked off Dh told me that her husband said to her, "see she's doing it, you can do it to, go ahead and try" nad then she sat down to nurse her baby.

Edited for really bad typos!

#10 of 11 Old 10-27-2003, 01:56 AM

That is exactly why I'm on a mission to nurse my dd everywhere I possibly can! I've always said that I want to inspire other women to bf, etc. My dd has literally been nursed everywhere. I can even hold her across my arms, nurse & push a shopping cart at the same time. :LOL I've been waiting for 16months for someone to say something negative, but it hasn't happened. I also think I'm oblivious, LOL, so I don't bother noticing people looking hahaha.

Keep up the great work mamas!!
Amy
#11 of 11 Old 10-29-2003, 12:01 PM

I always nursed my son in public, and have already nursed my dd numerous occasions in public... i too am kind of oblivious.. i probably just dont notice looks, but have also never been asked not to....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page