Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoobieAddict View Post
The man chased down a complete stranger with an internet print out to basically accuse her of trying to spread HIV by breastfeeding and you can't fathom the idea that he might shut it down for "decontamination?"
I'm sure we'll find out if it really happened when the media does the story.

However, as a field supervisor with a pool management company, I could shut a pool down for contamination any time I wanted without anyone batting an eye. Pools close for vomit or poop every day - no one would even bother to ask what kind of contamination it was.

The only way it would come back to bite me is if someone called and complained and the incident was looked into (as I imagine this one will be).

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
Old 08-11-2008, 07:43 PM

WOW. It's 5:45- so glad i caught this! I'll be watching the news in a few and I'm in St. Augustine- if theres a nurse-in I'll totally drive up for that. I can't believe this!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 PM

The news video is up and was well done I think.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/h...16089&catid=25

Of course I've already left my two cents. *wink*

Angela <><
Old 08-11-2008, 10:08 PM

I like the way it was handled, but I'm wondering why they all referred to "people" breastfeeding? As far as I know, only *mothers* breastfeed and thus deserve the feminine pronouns of she/her, rather than the genderless "they" or "people."
Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 PM

Wow! When I read this thread the other day I was really hoping that it was an exaggeration... how sick and ignorant some people are!!! If I didn't live several states away I would join in on the nurse-in!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:09 PM

Given the wonderful response from the Park Department and the pledge to retrain everyone on this, is there going to be a nurse-in?

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Old 08-12-2008, 12:23 AM

I thought the news article was we written and the news report was really well done but was slightly irritated by the comment that went kinda like this:
When I got the letter I thought that the mother was exagerating, maybe they just asked her to put a blanket over her or cover w/ a towel but NOT harrassment.
What does she think asking a mother to cover while nursing is? It is DEFINATELY harrassment!!!

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 08-12-2008, 01:58 AM

I love that the introduction mentions "an educated mother...."

Loved it.

Angela <><
Old 08-12-2008, 02:07 AM

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...116089&catid=3

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:08 AM

What's the deal with the nurse in? I have no one to nurse but I don't live very far away and I could go and offer support.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 AM

I hope there's still a nurse-in. I'll be there in spirit!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanMom View Post
So, do all women swimming in the pool have to prove they are not lactating? Because if breastmilk is such a concern, then having a lactating woman in the pool at all might be a problem--you never know when I might leak a little, after all! How do they know if a woman is lactating or not?
Yeah, no kidding. Maybe we should be required to wear little swimmers over our boobs. I leak all the time.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:43 AM

This is crazy! I agree, I still leak at a year. And even the majority of the comments about the news story are supportive (although some in a creepy way.)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post
I thought the news article was we written and the news report was really well done but was slightly irritated by the comment that went kinda like this:
When I got the letter I thought that the mother was exagerating, maybe they just asked her to put a blanket over her or cover w/ a towel but NOT harrassment.
What does she think asking a mother to cover while nursing is? It is DEFINATELY harrassment!!!
Yeah I thought the same thing. And isn't she the head of the breastfeeding coalition? Not cool.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:54 PM

That's what I thought too. I was disappointed that she said that, and that the news decided to use THAT snippet. (especially after the mention of blankets had already come up, like, twice?)
Old 08-12-2008, 01:35 PM

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that...I was really over Haycook's words...I expected a lot better from the BF coalition. I really can't figure out her motive in saying that--all it said to me was "it's reasonable for someone to ask a woman to cover with a blanket while bfing." :

Honestly, this part bothers me way more than the whole Tom Wright thing--someone who is totally ignorant or has major issues I can understand, but someone whose job it is to advocate for nursing mothers, who basically pulls the rug out from under all of us who refuse to cover? Not so much.

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
Old 08-12-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
I like the way it was handled, but I'm wondering why they all referred to "people" breastfeeding? As far as I know, only *mothers* breastfeed and thus deserve the feminine pronouns of she/her, rather than the genderless "they" or "people."
At least they are not saying "Mankind breastfeeds HIS young." like an anthropology video I saw 14 or so years ago did.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:55 PM

Wow, that dude has issues. :

And as much as the response from the city was a good one, I think a nurse-in would still be warranted, if only to help "re-educate" the employees about breastfeeding. Especially that guy.

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

Old 08-12-2008, 03:31 PM

I have not read all this thread - only the OP.

Please read these documents that were prepared after a NIP incident in Edmonton, Alberta Canada a few years ago. The mom involved was an IBCLC, nurse and lawyer (!) and her dh is a law professor (wrong person to discriminate against).

Please use this research and report in responding to this incidnet. With this report, the mom was able to have the municipal policy on bfing completely rewritten.

Here are the documents that may help you:

http://www.breastfeedingalberta.ca/advocacy.htm\

Scroll down to the Breastfeeding Action Committee of Edmonton. It was formed after this breastfeeding in a municipal pool incident in 2002.

Janice
Old 08-12-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice in Canada View Post
I have not read all this thread - only the OP.

Please read these documents that were prepared after a NIP incident in Edmonton, Alberta Canada a few years ago. The mom involved was an IBCLC, nurse and lawyer (!) and her dh is a law professor (wrong person to discriminate against).

Please use this research and report in responding to this incident. With this report, the mom was able to have the municipal policy on bfing completely rewritten.

Here are the documents that may help you:

http://www.breastfeedingalberta.ca/advocacy.htm\

Scroll down to the Breastfeeding Action Committee of Edmonton. It was formed after this breastfeeding in a municipal pool incident in 2002.

Janice
policy does not need to be rewritten. In FL, we are legally "permitted" to nurse in public, wherever we are legally allowed to be and we are "permitted" to expose our entire breasts including nipple in order to feed our babies. what needs to be rewritten? we have a great law, just no penalty for someone who breaks the law by harassing us.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
I don't think it has to be limitted, because a really great SO will be completely supportive of BFing, even if they can't do it themselves. My DH makes sure to help out when I've got the LO connected, because I've got pretty much 1 1/2 good arms to use, so I'm not inclined to walk around, or even reach very far. If we're out someplace, and it's snack time, he'll find me a chair, bring me water, or pass me a rag if I start leaking on the other side.

If a guy can help out, then I'd say that's taking part in Bfing the child. And IMO, guys should be proud to be able to take part in it.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 PM

How about we send him some brownies made with breastmilk?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyJoia View Post
policy does not need to be rewritten. In FL, we are legally "permitted" to nurse in public, wherever we are legally allowed to be and we are "permitted" to expose our entire breasts including nipple in order to feed our babies. what needs to be rewritten? we have a great law, just no penalty for someone who breaks the law by harassing us.
Thanks, I didn't realise where this was. Yes, FL has a law. In Alberta, in the incident that I am talking about, we have Human Rights legislation also, which protects bfing. As you said, there is often a law, but no enforcement or penalty. So then we may have to fall back on education. The report linked to gives all the research and links to CDC etc addressing some of the things the manager said about contamination of pool water, HIV, etc Its all put together in one place - so the mom (or other writers) would not have to find it themselves, if they want to add that into thier letters.

Just want to help and support. NIP complaints in pools comes up over and over again, and reading about another mom that was able to change the policy and training in a large city, can be very supportive and encouraging.

Janice
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceyTheBatmom View Post
I don't think it has to be limitted, because a really great SO will be completely supportive of BFing, even if they can't do it themselves. My DH makes sure to help out when I've got the LO connected, because I've got pretty much 1 1/2 good arms to use, so I'm not inclined to walk around, or even reach very far. If we're out someplace, and it's snack time, he'll find me a chair, bring me water, or pass me a rag if I start leaking on the other side.

If a guy can help out, then I'd say that's taking part in Bfing the child. And IMO, guys should be proud to be able to take part in it.
: When I talk to someone not in our family about our parenting choices, I say "we" breastfeed, "we" homebirth, etc....he is as much a part of this team as I am!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have removed a multitude of posts that are a violation of the UA. You may not namecall, defame someone, post about assaulting them, or post in any other manner that is against the UA or the law. I realize this man behaved abominably, but that doesn't mean that we as lactivists need to stoop to his level and not be civil.

I will be contacting you if you had a post removed. If you have any questions or concerns, as always, please PM me.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 08-13-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice in Canada View Post
Just want to help and support. NIP complaints in pools comes up over and over again, and reading about another mom that was able to change the policy and training in a large city, can be very supportive and encouraging.

Janice

I was apalled, as a pool supervisor, to hear one of my lifeguards say at the beginning of the season, "Yeah, you have to watch out for those women who try to breastfeed though..." You better believe they got some education.

A mamma was bfing her 2 week old at one of my pools today. It always makes me happy to see that. :

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
Old 08-13-2008, 12:08 PM

I was a lifeguard and pool manager for more than one year. Seriously - all the (literal) crap we had to deal with sometimes the LAST thing I would worry about was a mother there supervising her children.

It was the mothers who just dropped their kids off for a day of cheap babysitting with no sunscreen or food or towels or anything that made me to want to harrass them. *wry grin*

I would have LOVED to see a nursing mothering at my pool! Better than the woman who thought a white (yes - thin white cotten) sports bra qualified as a bathing suit top. My poor guy liefguards would all go take their break when _she_ got there. *rolls eyes*
Old 08-13-2008, 01:08 PM

So breastfeeding moms and HIV positive people aren't allowed at Mr Wright's park? Someone needs some MAJOR sensitivity training-like sensitivity and diversity bootcamp or something... Just terrible!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesley&grace View Post
Yeah I thought the same thing. And isn't she the head of the breastfeeding coalition? Not cool.
This. I was highly disappointed in her statements. I know it can be stressful to interview for media, but this seems way, way off. "Not harassment" to be told to use a towel? WTH?

I'm thinking I need to look her up and write her myself. I feel let down and saddened.

User Tag List