Time to write letters - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For some insane reason i still read parents magazine. (ok it shows up at my house and I have no idea why. ) I am often angered by their articles, but this time i just had to speak out. They have an article telling women how to deal with your baby on the go, and as you can imagine breastfeeding comes up not only do they offer that you can nurse in private rooms, in dressing rooms, or somewhere with a blanket, they mention that "if all else fails you can retreat to your car."

I am outraged so I wrote them, and I would love if others would join in. This is the September 2008 issue in the as we grow 0-12 month section.

[email protected]

here is my letter

Quote:
I am writing in response to your as they grow article aimed at 0-12 months. The subject being "On the go!". I have not even finished the article and I feel the need to write you. In your advice on feeding your child in the mall you do offer many suggestions for breastfeeding that are good for moms. Many new mothers are too shy to breastfeed in public or they have children who need a low key environment to eat which is fine, I respect that a woman has a choice about how she feeds in public. That choice should include nursing on the go, while shopping, sitting in the food court, whatever. Some mothers are not bothered by this, and many babies have no trouble eating in a busy environment. I was sad and shocked to see two things:

The first was that you never offered up the option that they just nurse where they are without a cover. There is no reason a woman can not just nurse her baby without covering up, in fact in many states it is illegal to tell a woman she can not breastfeed, hopefully this will become a nation wide law. It's time to encourage mothers to breastfeed and show that it is not something shameful that we need to be hiding.

Secondly I am appalled that you would suggest "if all else fails, retreat to your car". The last thing a mother needs is to feel isolated from society, our lives have already changed so much and all this is doing is making a mother feel worse. I thought you were supposed to help build up a mothers confidence? On top of treating the mother like a leper of society you are helping to keep breastfeeding rates in this country appallingly low. Let's try to work together to help mothers catch up to the rest of the world and to scientific evidence that breast feeding is far superior to any other kind of feeding. Let's normalize breastfeeding, it has been taboo in this country far too long.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 05:05 PM

Old 08-21-2008, 05:21 PM

Great letter! Let us know if they respond!

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

Old 08-21-2008, 07:05 PM

I think it's a little tricky for Parents to advise NIP if NIP is not protected everywhere. I read recently here that in MA it's not protected. Parents can't advise their readers in those states to engage in potentially illegal activity.

I would love to see Parents do an article about NIP and explain what the laws are and where... In states like MA their advice is probably right on, but they should have encouraged moms in states A,B,C,H,I,J and X, Y, Z to feel comfortable nursing anywhere. (And told people where to write to change the breastfeeding laws in other states.)

I think it's a little tricky for them from a legal standpoint, but I wish they would have addressed NIP as an option for at least some of their readers.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Not having a law that protects a behavior (in this case breastfeeding) doesn't make that behavior illegal. It is not illegal to breastfeed (or NIP) in any state.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
Old 08-23-2008, 01:45 AM

Great letter. That article really bothered me too. While I can appreciate nursing with a cover as I did when we were just getting started, I didn't like the fact that they made it seem like a necessary step in the process. And the car, please! That is the last place I want to be in 90 degree heat thank you.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:39 AM

:: Outstanding Letter!!

I have basically given up on that particular mag as it makes me :
Old 08-23-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandam View Post

Great letter. That article really bothered me too. While I can appreciate nursing with a cover as I did when we were just getting started, I didn't like the fact that they made it seem like a necessary step in the process. And the car, please! That is the last place I want to be in 90 degree heat thank you.
not to mention those of us who took the BUS...what are we supposed to do?

(I mean, besides nurse on the bus. nobody's kicked us off yet!)
Old 08-23-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBecks View Post
I would love to see Parents do an article about NIP and explain what the laws are and where... In states like MA their advice is probably right on, but they should have encouraged moms in states A,B,C,H,I,J and X, Y, Z to feel comfortable nursing anywhere. (And told people where to write to change the breastfeeding laws in other states.)
I live in MA and in 2 years of nursing have never 'covered up' while nursing in public. It is not illegal, just not expressly protected. FWIW, I've never had anyone say boo to me about it.

I'd rather see an article about the benefits of nursing in public, covered or uncovered, as a way to encourage moms on the go to continue nursing even if they aren't going to stay home or in their car. Focusing too much on the laws can get people bogged down.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 PM

Email written. I hate that mag, it shows up at my house for free too.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

Old 08-24-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I'd rather see an article about the benefits of nursing in public, covered or uncovered, as a way to encourage moms on the go to continue nursing even if they aren't going to stay home or in their car. Focusing too much on the laws can get people bogged down.

This article has been written....here in Mothering

One more reason why its the only parenting mag subscription anyone really needs!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganmarie View Post

One more reason why its the only parenting mag subscription anyone really needs!
Well, right. I guess in the context of this thread I meant, "I'd rather see an article in a mainstream publication like Parents..."

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
Old 08-24-2008, 01:51 PM

I just came here to post this exact same thing. I'll go write my letter now...

Angel, teaches Psych, married to Martin, chiropractor since 06/25/05 , Mama to DS, Quinn 7/11/07 and DD, Eliza 8/2/10 :
Old 08-24-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boheime View Post
Not having a law that protects a behavior (in this case breastfeeding) doesn't make that behavior illegal. It is not illegal to breastfeed (or NIP) in any state.
:
And I may be mistaken, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought NIP was protected by federal law and most states choose to pass their own laws to clarify those laws or give additional rights to nursing mothers.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

Old 08-25-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganmarie

Quote:
Well, right. I guess in the context of this thread I meant, "I'd rather see an article in a mainstream publication like Parents..."
I know I was just being facetious. Of course, agree completely. Until they can get Mothering into the hands of every new mom, the alternative is to get mainstream magazines to at least stop printing misinformation...and even better, start printing helpful tips.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:30 PM

Writing a letter now. I hate Parenting. I've asked them so many times to stop sending me their nasty mag and they just won't quit!

ETA - Ok, I see that this is for Parents, not Parenting. They don't send it to me, but I still hate it!

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).

User Tag List