UGGG.... I hate when people get defensive about breastfeeding!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 11-03-2003, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mod Alert.......Mod Alert........Mod Alert

Please refocus this thread back to the original topic. That of a response regarding breastfeeding. If you would like to discuss school issues, there are other forums for that. I know I caught this a bit late but I am asking you to comply with the User agreement. I will also be PMing some of you to ask you to edit your posts.

Thanks for your compliance.
~Stephanie~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 11-03-2003, 01:17 PM

I didn’t think anyone was “ripping” anyone apart. We were merely having a discussion about how the OP was upset that someone responded to her harmless message the way they did. I believe that everyone has a *right* to parent how they feel is best or whatever way they prefer, whether bf or bottle-fed, starting their child in school early, home school, and any other hard parenting choices there are! Heck, I don‘t even have a clue about most parenting choices! (he he) I just have a 5 month old, so I barely know how to give him a bath, much less whether I’d start him in school early or not. (Just kind of learning as I go) But, Morgan’s_Mom sorry if any comment I said has offended you. Tthat was not my intent at all. I love it on MDC as much as the next person and would hate to think that I’ve ruined anyone’s experience here.
*hugs all around*
#33 of 42 Old 11-03-2003, 01:19 PM

Oppps,
just saw the mod alert! I guess I'll shut-up now.
#34 of 42 Old 11-03-2003, 01:25 PM

:LOL
#35 of 42 Old 11-03-2003, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support. We pretty much agree that although she might/might not be feeling guilty over her decisions, she came at me wayyyy too strong for what I posted. That was all I wanted to find out, if I was out of line for what I wrote, which I didn't think I was (and her bragging about her daughter to make some point, whatever point that was, was pretty ridiculous).

Anyway, after my very long post back to her, the post filled with facts and a couple articles by Dr. Newman, this is how I ended the letter. Just so you all can see, I tried to be very nice and offer help, IF she felt like she ever needed it.

" HER NAME- There was a question posed to the group. I feel like I am part of
this group, at least I hope. I answered it honestly and without any
accusation. I would hope that saying something truthfully and without
accusation would be fine with several adult ladies. Please don't come at me
with a knife being so defensive for something that is so important to our
children and our nations health. You could just as easily of said "hey, nice
to see someone who would give a new parent that type of answer as it's the
truth. I tried to nurse my babies but found I had a very rare condition, to
which their were no other answers. I have made peace with it and thank my
Lord that my children are fine, but I know I would have liked to have nursed
them...." instead of how you 'yelled' across the computer. Anyway, I am
sorry you became so defensive and angry at the simple and honest statement I
made, but I hope you won't be like that in the future to someone else trying
to share their opinion and speak truths. We are all adults here, lets
discuss like adults. If you have any questions, ever, about nursing or
anything related to it, you are more than welcome off -list to write me and
I will be more than happy to get you the info. you want. Honestly, I would
love to help.
Sincerly, Heather"

So, although I was ticked for how nasty she got, I tried to contain it (for the most part) and let her know she was very offensive, but I would still be here to help if she wanted. Hey, I am human too!

Thanks for reading guys.
#36 of 42 Old 11-03-2003, 04:30 PM

Well, It doesn't matter to me if the child is truly gifted or not the mother should not(did not have to) put all that in her response to the original OP. she opened herself adn her child up to what ever skeptism(I'm not gifted so I am probably spelling it wrong)is being tossed here.
There was no reason for such a post afterall the OP was not targeting her, she was answering a question. She could have projected her guilt better IMO. It's just guilt over FF you see it all the time but in this case I feel it was uncalled for.
#37 of 42 Old 11-04-2003, 03:01 PM

This is a support and advocacy board for breastfeeding....not for formula. I guess when we talk about breastfeeding so wonderfully and all the benefits it offers, the truth hurts.
#38 of 42 Old 11-04-2003, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Firemom
This is a support and advocacy board for breastfeeding....not for formula. I guess when we talk about breastfeeding so wonderfully and all the benefits it offers, the truth hurts.
:

I don't understand this post. I thought the OP was posting about something that happened on another board that WASN'T primarily about BF.
#39 of 42 Old 11-05-2003, 12:29 AM

As I'm reading the posts, all I keep thinking is, "Gosh, if this woman breastfed her dd, she could be the mom of a young Doogie Howser!! They would all be famous!!"

And for the record, 13 months is not too early to be potty "trained". People who practice EC have had successes that early. Unfortunately we didn't start ECing until Aidan was 12 months, but he is 100% diaper free at 20 months!!

Amy
#40 of 42 Old 11-05-2003, 01:05 AM

If you read the initial post that lactationmom posted, she states all the benefits of breastmilk. That is what I was refering to. The post responding to her talks about a lot of other stuff, but basically she wasn't happy with what lactationmom wrote.

What she wrote it all true regarding breastfeeding. Therefore thats what my last post was pertaining too.
#41 of 42 Old 11-05-2003, 11:40 PM

heather, i provided her info on relactation several weeks back, we began talking on im, and i said i was nak. she asked what that was, i tld her nursing at keyboard, she said she had nursed her first, dr ordered her to stop bc baby was getting ill etc, she didnt even attempt with #2, and with #3, she was bottlefeeding, expressed regret over it, i encouraged her to start pumping, getting baby to latch etc, .

all i can say is it sounds to me like she did try, and just the very rural area she is in (no local ibclc, and lll not too close), probably accounts for some of her poor information. i will agree it seemed as she was attacking you, and that was completely uncaled for.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#42 of 42 Old 11-08-2003, 04:37 AM

i hate that...the "my baby is so smart and so cute and doing just fine...blah blah" methinks the mommy dost protest too much...guilt, in my opinion. what i don't get is all these mothers who claim they are just fine with feeding their babies formula like to try to overcompromise...if they are so fine with the decision, they wouldn't feel the need.

i thought what you said was the absolute truth. and why is it that when we feel that way, we are called "militant", when all we are really saying is what should be the norm!

yeah, most babies do "just fine" or even thrive on formula...but statistically speaking, breastfed babies *are* smarter and healthier. this does not mean we are calling every formula-fed baby fat and dumb. : she had no right to attack you that way.

i came all the way back here to edit this to say:

i'm sure we've all know someone who lived to a really old age or who is perfectly healthy despite smoking like a pack a day. that doesn't prove that cigarettes are "fine". we still know that they are dangerous and kill lots of people...just because some people thrive despite smoking doesn't mean that tobacco doesn't kill people. it's flawed reasoning.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page