Should I hide? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 09-20-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still learning to NIP, I'm a 32g/h with a small baby.

I've tried everything, the only thing that works is the boob out the top, but some say its showing too much. I hate the idea of a blanket or special hat on baby

Suggestions?

Also I find it so hard without a pillow, how do people do it?
#2 of 32 Old 09-20-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmama View Post
I've tried everything, the only thing that works is the boob out the top, but some say its showing too much.
psh so what? seriously when ds NIP its like a peep show but thats the only way he will nurse and g-d help the person who says anything (someone did .. i posted a while back about it) if your uncomfortable then by all means do what you need to do but everyone else can stop staring at your boobs and worry about their own lives.
#3 of 32 Old 09-20-2008, 08:38 PM

When I have to unbutton or pull my boob out the top I cover just my boob, not dd face, with a burp cloth b/c it makes me more comfortable.

You do what you need to do to nurse that baby.

nak

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#4 of 32 Old 09-20-2008, 08:53 PM

I don't know how little your DC is but with DS I found as he got bigger it was SO much easier. When he was little I didn't think that I would every be able to nurse in public. When he go to be about 3 months I was a pro and also cared less about what other people said. DS never liked to have his head covered so a nursing cover was never an option.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#5 of 32 Old 09-20-2008, 09:07 PM

Only you can decide what works best for you, BritishMama!

I'm not sure what 32g/h means.

I can tell you what helped me, though. Practice. I wear different clothes out than just around the house, so NIP was a whole different ballgame. So I started practicing at home in my going out clothes.

Also, and I'm very small up top, ditching the nursing bra contraption entirely and switching to nursing shirts (with a soft, no underwire bra when needed.) Depending on the way they open, these can keep you much more covered -- IF that's what you're going for.

Third, LLL meetings. Nothing like seeing other mamas nurse newborns and toddlers to "normalize" bf in your own mind! Because, really, this is an issue about YOU being comfortable and confident!

About the pillow, sometimes it helped me to put one foot up on the bench next to me and lean my elbow/the baby's weight on that. When he got bigger, I just crossed one ankle over the other knee (not a skirt girl!) Maybe a small pillow to take with you?

If you're in England, I have no idea what the laws are over there. But if you happen to be British in the US, you generally have a legal right to nurse anywhere you have a legal right to be. So feel free to tell "some people" that you're within your legal rights, smile, and look adoringly into your precious baby's face!

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#6 of 32 Old 09-20-2008, 09:15 PM

I have been wearing a tank with built in bra (NOT a nursing tank) When it is time to nurse, I have been flopping over the top of that, and then pulling up my regular shirt. No belly shows, and next to no boob shows. I am not large chested, though. I don't know if that would be enough support for you or not.

I agree, it will get easier as they can latch themselves on. You wont need to see what is going on in a few months. Until then, do what ya gotta do to feed the baby. If it is easy for you to flop over the top, then do that. You can carry an extra pre-fold diaper with you to cover the top of your breast if you need a little coverage. The baby will cover the bottom and nipple of your breast.
#7 of 32 Old 09-20-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockportmama View Post
I'm not sure what 32g/h means.
It's her bra size. She's saying she has big boobs and a tiny baby.

Definitely practice. You need to be comfortable with it. And baby can sense your insecurity. I never used a pillow to nurse, it was too uncomfortable. But I wasn't comfortable NIP until daughter was older. I nursed in the car or in dressing rooms.
#8 of 32 Old 09-20-2008, 09:22 PM

Here's what I've done in your position: Take a blankie and tuck the edges in my bra straps. This drapes the blanket over your breast but not your baby. I understand how it seems like you're half naked when you've got a breast of that size pulled out. (I've been H, then I, then J with a new nursling. My breasts know the alphabet! )

As to how to breastfeed without a pillow...Well, my breasts are not just large but long; I've always just sat with my legs crossed (Indian or tailor style, depending on where you're from) and put baby in my lap. Never appreciated sagging breasts til I found out how much easier they make nursing. If you don't want to lug around a nursing pillow, why not see if you can make a little travel size pillow work; that you might be able to stow in a diaper bag.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#9 of 32 Old 09-20-2008, 09:35 PM

practice in front of a mirror first. That always helped me. I was able to see at what angles skin was showing and how to best position DD. You can do it mama!!
#10 of 32 Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 PM

Have you tried nursing in a sling yet? i know it's an acquired skill, but I found it to be the easiest way to nurse while shopping, etc., and some even have a "tail" that you can use to cover your upper chest if you like. I always nurse over the top of my shirt...it's just easier. Of course, I am not gifted with large breasts, so I'm not sure if it would be comfortable for you, but it's worth a try.
#11 of 32 Old 09-20-2008, 11:37 PM

I have small breasts and I always nurse out the top of my shirt. It's easy to me and my toddler who helps himself. Just do whatever makes you feel most comfortable and remember that breasts are for breastfeeding!
#12 of 32 Old 09-21-2008, 05:00 AM

32 g/h is i think her bra size. BIG CUP

UK law sucks.

it only protects BFing mums with babies UNDER 6 months. even scotland is better than that, they are protected for a whole 2 years.

mind i am nursing a 1yr old adn have never had a problem.

Kiz
#13 of 32 Old 09-21-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
I don't know! My little guy is nearly 11 months old and I'm still using pillows. Zomg, they are such a pain! : I think I'm going to burn 'em when I no longer need 'em.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#14 of 32 Old 09-21-2008, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

thank you everyone!

there are no LLL meetings near by, I never see women BF either

Quote:
Originally Posted by painefaria View Post
I don't know how little your DC l
5 weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post

As to how to breastfeed without a pillow...Well, my breasts are not just large but long; I've always just sat with my legs crossed (Indian or tailor style, depending on where you're from) and put baby in my lap. Never appreciated sagging breasts til I found out how much easier they make nursing. If you don't want to lug around a nursing pillow, why not see if you can make a little travel size pillow work; that you might be able to stow in a diaper bag.
i think it would be easier if mine didnt sag

Quote:
Originally Posted by greene_mama View Post
Have you tried nursing in a sling yet? i know it's an acquired skill, but I found it to be the easiest way to nurse while shopping, etc., and some even have a "tail" that you can use to cover your upper chest if you like. I always nurse over the top of my shirt...it's just easier. Of course, I am not gifted with large breasts, so I'm not sure if it would be comfortable for you, but it's worth a try.
i can nurse on the left with boob exposed, the right is then tricky and it;s impossible to close the sling with baby + boob

sorry nak like always
#15 of 32 Old 09-21-2008, 09:37 AM

try the burp cloth or blanket like a PP mentioned. I go over the top, myself and while I don't always cover up, when I feel the need to do so, I usually use a burpcloth or a blanket with one corner tucked into my brastrap and let it drape over my breast, not on baby's head. It takes a little practice in front of the mirror.

Also, try the cross football hold: take the baby's head in our right hand, like a softball with baby's body on your forearm. I like to have one leg on either side of my forearm. then you hold your left breast with your left hand and put baby on your left breast. reverse for right side. It's really easy to balance a young baby on your forearm while holding it;s head like a softball. When you hold baby's head like that, it makes for really easy control and it makes it easier to get baby latched without a boppy or pillow

nak
#16 of 32 Old 09-21-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemagicmummy View Post
32 g/h is i think her bra size. BIG CUP

UK law sucks.

it only protects BFing mums with babies UNDER 6 months. even scotland is better than that, they are protected for a whole 2 years.

mind i am nursing a 1yr old adn have never had a problem.

Kiz
Very big cup. I was an H cup when I had my middle daughter, and she was about 5lbs at birth. She was, no kidding, smaller than my breast. I so identify with the OP's exposed feeling.

Quote:
i think it would be easier if mine didnt sag
Are you holding baby with one arm & breast with the other? That's what I loved about putting the baby in my lap to nurse. It meant I only had to hold my breast a little up off the baby's face, and I was able still to have a free arm.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#17 of 32 Old 09-21-2008, 11:27 AM

nak

seriously, I just whip it out there. and dd likes to look around a lot while we're in public, so half the time my nipple is just hanging in the breeze. But I really don't think anyone can really look at a leaky mom boob with a baby hanging nearby and think "heh heh, nice tits". Something about the baby "desexualzes" them and makes them just food receptacles.

and if anyone does stare/get finicky about it, i advocate telling them to get a grip.

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#18 of 32 Old 09-21-2008, 11:49 AM

Have you tried an undershirt? I would wear tanktops under my outershirt, boob goes over the tank top, outershirt gets pushed up to cover the top of the boob. Mine may be "little" (C/D) but I feel ya on the saggy bit. When DD became a toddler, or it was too hot to wear 2 shirts, I'd pop the boob over the top and put my hand over the top of my boob.
Then again, it never bothered me to have my boob hanging out

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#19 of 32 Old 09-21-2008, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Been lucky so far she sleeps on the sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HidaShara View Post
nak

seriously, I just whip it out there. and dd likes to look around a lot while we're in public, so half the time my nipple is just hanging in the breeze. But I really don't think anyone can really look at a leaky mom boob with a baby hanging nearby and think "heh heh, nice tits". Something about the baby "desexualzes" them and makes them just food receptacles.

and if anyone does stare/get finicky about it, i advocate telling them to get a grip.

LOL I love that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
Very big cup. I was an H cup when I had my middle daughter, and she was about 5lbs at birth. She was, no kidding, smaller than my breast. I so identify with the OP's exposed feeling.

Are you holding baby with one arm & breast with the other? That's what I loved about putting the baby in my lap to nurse. It meant I only had to hold my breast a little up off the baby's face, and I was able still to have a free arm.
my boob is bigger than dd's head

my lap is too low for that

1 hand on breast one on baby
#20 of 32 Old 09-21-2008, 12:21 PM

I bought a bunch of bellabands when i was pregnant and now that i am nursing, I still wear them to cover my stomach while nip. so i pull up everything I am wearing but still my whole stomach is covered. it works really well for me

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
#21 of 32 Old 09-21-2008, 12:48 PM

I have the same cup size, and I always pull my breast out of the top of my shirt to nurse. It may be too exposed for some (my fellow MDC mama bff thinks so!) but I don't care. I am lucky that NS laws are fantastic, but I think if you act with confidence, you are less likely to attract bullies who will try to make you feel bad.

I've never had anyone say anything to me except "Oh, that's so nice!"

I always used the arm of a chair/bench when I was still needing to hold the baby and the boob.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#22 of 32 Old 09-21-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Ok--so I get a really fluffy blanket (it's actually my son's "magic blanket"--the one that he magically falls asleep with)--and I ball it up and put it ontop of my knee/thigh--either I'm sitting on the floor with my one leg up (the side he'd be nursing on)--and prop him there--or when I'm sitting on a chair/couch I prop my foot up on something (like a rung on a chair in front of me, the stroller foot rest, my diaper bag--something)--and put the balled up blanket on my knee/thigh so he's "propped" up.

I've always been jealous of the mamas whose boobs are the perfect length/shape/size that they can just hold their baby in their arms in a cradle position, so their baby's head is resting in their arm nicely--my son's head needs to be far enough away for proper positioning--so I always need pillows or something to prop him with--and since *I'M* not supporting his head I NEED a pillow or blanket prop, because I have to support my breast.

My shirts are loose right now--and that's perfect for me--cause once I latch--I just let the fabric from the end of my shirt just cover my boob until it's almost touching my son's face. HE sometimes plays with the shirts--like peekaboo style or flaps it around (which is immodest)...he'll even pull the shirt over to rub on his cheeks and eyes when he's tired...for the most part I stay VERY covered--and no one can see anything (I"m more worre4id about my stretchmarked stomach..but keeping my breast covered for the most part is a goal too, I suppose) because my shirt is covering my top boob, and a blanket balled up or a pillow is covering the bottom part/stomach.

I don't know if that made any sense...but I hope that helps...

I can relate to the dilemma of having huge breasts/modesty in nip situations. Good luck!

Oh, and I wait to unclip my bra and expose my breast until his head is mostly in the way--when he's all set up to just latch on! (so that his head would cover most of my breast when he's latching)
#23 of 32 Old 09-21-2008, 05:02 PM

Finding a comfortable position may be challenging -- I would normally cross a leg, lift that leg up and hunch -- not great for the back. Also scout out where the comfy chairs are in the places you regularly go -- a nice location is always good. I would look at whatever cover (or not) makes you feel the most comfortable.

You could also look at using whatever you have with you (a bag?) on your lap to help support the baby.
#24 of 32 Old 09-22-2008, 01:52 PM

I've been as big as g/h when nursing a tiny. I got really comfortable with sitting on the floor (grass, edge of a "cleanish" sidewalk) and positioned with one knee up to support the baby. I also threw a pillow into the bottom of the stroller (well, with the 1st 2; my 3rd hated strollers). I also was able to put my diaper bag under my leg to help support. I could sit on a park bench in the same way I sat on the floor. Chairs proper are harder. Often I nursed the babe in the car with the (car) pillow and then went to wherever I was going with baby in carrier/carseat/stroller.

The baby will get bigger, which will make it easier. But you don't want to stay home until that time. If it's getting cooler where you are, you might wear a light cardigan or something with the tank/shirt you're up and over for slightly less exposure if you want, or right now shawls/scarves are "in". But you can also just get comfy with how you do it.

We're rooting for you!
#25 of 32 Old 09-22-2008, 02:08 PM

I found wearing a shawl or pashmina helped me to still look stylish and allowed me to cover (for my comfort) my breast while NIP. The pashmina was light weight and I could adjust it to cover whatever needed covering and still comfortably feed DS. I wish I had taken some pics of how it looked.

LP
#26 of 32 Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 PM

38F here, 3.5 week old. I wear skirts with the waistband pulled above the stretchmarks. Pull up my shirt, then use that to block the top of my breast, she blocks the front, and I have to hold my breast up so that gets the outside.

As we get better at things, I'll probably stop covering as much, but when I'm holding an attention magnet I'm not up for totally hanging out at the grocery store.

I think it's going to get harder as she gets heavier, fortunately, she's getting more comfortable with being worn so :
#27 of 32 Old 09-22-2008, 02:17 PM

I have big boobs too (ok a D but I'm teeny everywhere else so the effect is big)

I was never very good at NIP sorry to say. I did use blankets but always managed to have them fall away. Meh, I figured it was other people's problem if they were offended by my glorious lactating breasts!
#28 of 32 Old 09-23-2008, 01:41 PM

I can so relate - 34g/h here! It was really hard when ds was tiny, but it does get so much easier! I did need to carry a boppy pillow everywhere, or I used the diaper bag on my lap as a pillow - for the first 4 months or so. A rolled up coat or something worked too, but it wasn't ever terribly comfortable until after he got a bit bigger. I used belly bands to cover my tummy, and l try to always have a cardigan or jacket with me to help me feel a little more covered. I just pull up my shirt, though, and let that do most of the covering. I don't worry too much, but it does seem like a lot of breast is showing all at once if they're this big! Not like those smaller chests that can neatly pop in and out (my smaller-than-me chested bff and I have ds's the same age and it was always so much easier for her in public when the babies were tiny)! Oh - and I never got the hang of nursing in a sling comforably - the positioning is just all wrong for me and my "girls"!
#29 of 32 Old 09-23-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfatty View Post
I've always been jealous of the mamas whose boobs are the perfect length/shape/size that they can just hold their baby in their arms in a cradle position, so their baby's head is resting in their arm nicely--
Me too -- though I have the opposite problem: itty-bitty titties. Baby was always too low if I just cradled him/her with my arm, or tried to sling-nurse. I always needed a stack o' pillows or creative positioning.

I know this isn't helpful practically speaking, but hopefully it helps to know that everybody's got some challenge or other.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#30 of 32 Old 09-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm still learning to NIP, I'm a 32g/h with a small baby.

I've tried everything, the only thing that works is the boob out the top, but some say its showing too much. I hate the idea of a blanket or special hat on baby

Suggestions?

If you are an H cup, where are you going to hide, the dark side of the Moon?!

I'm a 42-44 DD/DDD myself, which is E or F, so about the same size cup. I feel your (back) pain.

If you feel comfortable, and the law is on your side, don't worry about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page