Angelina to appear on the cover of W magazine while breast feeding! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 10-10-2008, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think she is using her public voice for positive causes and I admire that in a person.

She is walking the walk and talking the talk.
#32 of 41 Old 10-10-2008, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The word that came to mind when I saw this photo was "blissful," which is just how I felt when nursing (although I didn't look as good!). I thought it was beautiful!

Like it or not, lots of people out there think breastfeeding is icky. If this photo changes even one person's mind, it's done its job.
#33 of 41 Old 10-11-2008, 12:00 AM

Even though there is very little shown I still think that it is really great that she will come out with it! I do wish that it was a tandem photo, but one is still great!

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#34 of 41 Old 10-11-2008, 01:01 AM

WOW! That is a gorgeous photo. Very elegant. I'm very happy to see it out there and normal.
#35 of 41 Old 10-11-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJaneLouise View Post
I must be blind cuz I don't even say the baby, let alone any breast
:

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#36 of 41 Old 10-11-2008, 07:44 AM

I notice that this is W's 'Art Issue'. While I think that breastfeeding is beautiful and can certainly be portrayed artistically, I worry that by pairing breastfeeding with high art and celebrity photos it gives the impression to everyday people that it is unusual, exclusive and/or a luxury. I'd like to see a magazine cover with a regular mom breastfeeding her baby on a bench at the mall, not hidden away in some 'feeding room', bathroom or car. THAT would blow me away -- a sign that breastfeeding is moving towards normalization among the general public.

I suppose with the way people idolize and copy celebrities these days though, it will hopefully influence some people in a positive way.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#37 of 41 Old 10-11-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana9+2 View Post
I *LOVE* the photo! You can see lots of top boob. It's a comfy nightgown/top, just pulled right down casually to nurse. No blankets, no baby covering, no shame. And you can see the baby's hand. And she looks SOOO happy.

Sorry, I love it! I think it does great things for breastfeeding normalcy and promotion. I love it.

I personally wouldn't want more of me visible on a magazine cover while breastfeeding. I don't cover while NIP but I don't want anyone to see my nipple either, if I can help it.

I think it's a lovely, warm, pro-bf photo.
This is exactly how I feel. I absolutely LOVE it!

Angel, teaches Psych, married to Martin, chiropractor since 06/25/05 , Mama to DS, Quinn 7/11/07 and DD, Eliza 8/2/10 :
#38 of 41 Old 10-11-2008, 10:41 AM

I cannot believe that we have *here* negative reactions to this... This is *huge* for "lactivism" no matter how you feel about any aspect of it. Even the promoting of 'shock value' is still helping the cause, if you will. It's such a gorgeous picture....Some want her topless with nipples exposed and a close up of "deep latch positioning"? Come on! It's snapshot of a beautiful woman breastfeeding....it's a family photo for chrissake.
ok, sorry...i just am so happy about this. truly. because i live in that mainstream with the 'W' mag readers...
#39 of 41 Old 10-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
I think it's a beautiful photo. She looks so hazy and happily exhausted -- it's a classic babymoon photo.
This sums up my feeling toward the picture.
#40 of 41 Old 10-11-2008, 02:15 PM

I was just coming to make sure y'all knew about this. So great!
#41 of 41 Old 10-12-2008, 09:40 AM

they did a segment abut this (very brief) on the today show and had someone from LLL say how wonderful it is that Jolie brought normalcy to breastfeeding.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page