Are there any situations where you'd cover up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 10-09-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My inclination on this would've been "no" until yesterday.

I was incredibly grateful that she was willing to nurse in the sling with the sling pulled up to block most of the view when I had to latch her on and start nursing on a crowded bus yesterday.

I think I might've resorted to a blanket in that situation if she hadn't been in the sling. Of course, then I would've elbowed the young man next to me in the ribs, so... Yeah, just infinitely better all around that Lina was snuggled away in the sling.

Now, an experienced toddler mama would've known better than to transfer through downtown at the start of rush hour.
#2 of 68 Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 PM

I covered up when I was nursing DD to sleep on a overnight train in coach class. I knew DD & I would fall asleep before she popped off my boob, and I wasn't really in the mood to flash the other passengers all night long.
#3 of 68 Old 10-09-2008, 06:20 PM

I cover up on occasion when it's for *my* comfort- such as when with my MIL at her 50 year class reunion. Or the couple of times my dh has brought dd to work so I could nurse her there. I never really cover her head though, I just use a blanket or my sling to cover up my side, belly and any other exposed skin that I may have.,
#4 of 68 Old 10-09-2008, 06:29 PM

I cover up up when I visit my DH's family in Morocco. As a conservative islamic culture, it would be HIGHLY embarassing to have one of his male family members see my boobie! Even as pro-EBF as they are, boobs are still off-limits.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#5 of 68 Old 10-09-2008, 09:12 PM

If I had another reflux baby, I would buy a commerically made cover instead of hiding out and stripping to the waist to protect my clothes from his frequent pull-offs and refluxes.
#6 of 68 Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 PM

Yes, if I was around a child who was recently weaned or in the process. I've asked friends in this situation before nursing, but they have never requested me to cover-- but I would probably ask.
Yes, if I was around a child that was waiting for a test and was fasting.
We were recently in that situation (being around children that had to fast for 6+ hours) and I had that in the back of my head... but dd didn't need to nurse while we were in the waiting room and I knew my son wouldn't mind that she nursed when we were waiting for the MRI and were in our own room.

I can't think of many others, except for my own convenience, like when its freezing out, or in the past when I've just been a chicken at times. I think I'm over that now, I hope.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#7 of 68 Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 PM

I will when my creepy uncle is around. And probably often when latching on. I don't care to show my nips to anyone.
#8 of 68 Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 PM

I do at church.... I'm have a kid with reflux so they pop on and off and I don't know if I"m comfortable wtih church peopel seeing my boob.
#9 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 12:40 AM

Around the 4-5 month mark both of mine became highly distractable. Even though they were hungry, if there was any activity visible to them, they wouldn't nurse. Covering up helped keep them nursing long enough to finish a feed and kept me from squirting bystanders.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#10 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 02:01 AM

I used to be in the "nursing covers are anti-lactivist" camp. Then I had my second daughter and was distracted with my toddler all the time, so I figured what the heck I'll use one. I found that it was so much easier to eat at a restraunt without having to keep on adjusting my shirt. I did not have to wear a tank top under my shirts anymore. And it's a great conversation piece with other moms that may have been too shy to approach me before. I do not think it is needed to be sucessful at breastfeeding but, it can help a mom who is uncomfortable with NIP. Not that I am uncomfortable with NIP, it makes me proud to NIP, it's just that I don't have to even worry about an unlatch flash. I can't be on my gaurd as much anymore since I have my toddler, too. Besides, the cover has that boning so the blanket isn't right on the baby's face. I can see my baby and smile at her all the same with the cover on.

I think that this "all or nothing" mentality sometimes hurts the lactivist cause.
#11 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 02:40 AM

I usually nurse in the sling (home and out) and so that provides a sort of built in cover no matter what. But, while I won't ever not nurse, I definitely am more conscious of being discreet sometimes, just because I don't want the stress of dealing with other people and just need to feed and go about my life! Does that make sense? Sometimes I am more comfortable if me feeding my baby is not the center of attention...
#12 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2libby View Post
I do not think it is needed to be sucessful at breastfeeding but, it can help a mom who is uncomfortable with NIP. ... I think that this "all or nothing" mentality sometimes hurts the lactivist cause.
I couldn't agree more. I had HUGE fears about NIP with my DS, now 18 months old, because I could never figure out how to do it discreetly. (I'm VERY well-endowed -- an H cup when nursing. NOT easy to hide, especially with a baby who needed a lot of help latching on!)

I didn't want to use a cover because I didn't want to be "bad lactivist" ... but what I ended up doing was pumping and bringing along bottles just about anywhere we went. As a result, my DS ended up with nipple confusion and stopped nursing altogether at 2 1/2 months. I pumped exclusively until he turned 1.

Now that I'm pregnant again, I've gotten a couple of cute covers and plan on using them whenever I NIP, at least at first. I would love to eventually be confident enough in NIP without one, but I'm taking baby steps ...
#13 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 02:58 AM

I covered up while nursing in church.

And when I was first learning how to help baby latch on.

Me:
#14 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 AM

Not once in 18 months. Not with DD, either.
#15 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 10:20 AM

I cover up around my male family members (Dad, Brother, SFIL) Its for my own comfort, they never say anything, and only my dad seems even a little uncomfortable but it just makes me feel weird. I can nurse in public with no problem, or around friends, but something about my own family members makes me feel odd if I'm uncovered. We were always a very modest private family with nudity and I guess it carries over to this. Actually I usually just go in another room all together. Everyone has their hangups I guess!
#16 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 11:07 AM

I couldn't think of any situation for an age-2-and-under nursling where I'd want to cover up. But honestly, there are situations where I just don't want to NIP my 3 year old at all - and a blanket wouldn't be the answer.

Too bad, though. For example, DD loves to nurse when having a story read to her. So when we went to the library for story-hour, guess what she wanted to do. But I felt way too uncomfortable nursing my 3 year old with all the other mothers around who weren't even sitting NEAR their own 3 year olds, much less NURSING them. But it was a shame, because it would have really made my DD's day to have been able to do that.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#17 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
Yes, if I was around a child who was recently weaned or in the process. I've asked friends in this situation before nursing, but they have never requested me to cover-- but I would probably ask.
Yes, if I was around a child that was waiting for a test and was fasting.
We were recently in that situation (being around children that had to fast for 6+ hours) and I had that in the back of my head... but dd didn't need to nurse while we were in the waiting room and I knew my son wouldn't mind that she nursed when we were waiting for the MRI and were in our own room.
Those are really good reasons I hadn't thought of before! We usually think of covering up as being for adults' comfort level, but I never considered how it would make a child feel, who wanted to nurse but couldn't.

For me, the only times I have even tried to cover were on very sunny days when I couldn't find a way to position myself so the sun was not in his eyes. Then I would loosely cover just enough to give him the shade he needed to be comfortable. But that's entirely for HIS comfort, not anyone else's. And he still can't stand having things over his face, so I'd have to hold it VERY loosely above him.

SAHM to Declan (12/12/06) and Blythe (2/9/09)
#18 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 01:45 PM

Only for DD's comfort and only with a ring sling, never a nursing cover. When I say for DD's comfort, if she is trying to nurse to sleep when we are in public, then being in the sling can help to block out the distractions of the world around her.
#19 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 02:16 PM

I would cover up in any situation where I felt uncomfortable and wanted to.
#20 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 02:23 PM

Dd is 19.5 months, and I think I have only ever covered her up when I thought it might help her to fall asleep. But it has been a long time since she would allow such a thing.
#21 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 03:55 PM

I've put a floppy hat on kiddo's head when the sun was super bright.

If I were being leered at in a more than superficially creepy way, I would speak up loudly and then leave the area. Random oglers are generally embarrassed by a dirty look or a raised eyebrow, that's not so bad.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#22 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thought of another situation and Lina's face was actually covered--when eating messy food! I used the napkin at Outback to protect her from horseradish sauce (mmm, onion....)
#23 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 05:35 PM

I cover when walking down the street with her in the Ergo feeding, on the bus & on the tube. In fact basically if she feeds in the Ergo she feeds covered. I just find it simpler.
#24 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
I cover up up when I visit my DH's family in Morocco. As a conservative islamic culture, it would be HIGHLY embarassing to have one of his male family members see my boobie! Even as pro-EBF as they are, boobs are still off-limits.
I don't really cover but do pull my shirt down over my boob so that it's not this flashing big white boobie, I'm just not comfortable bearing that much skin (it's a LOT of skin!). I am a little more self-conscious around muslim people as I don't want to make them uncomfortable. This happens more on the buses for me.
#25 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 06:26 PM

I can't think of a situation where I've felt the need to cover up (since my brief attempt when I had my first baby). I don't cover up at church either. I've never had someone leer at me...I'd probably alert DH or somebody else or confront the person from a distance. I don't normally show any boob anyways. My shirt covers up any breast from the top and DS covers any nipple or breast bottom. I have had DS flash my boob in public a couple of times, but I don't think anyone else actually noticed.
#26 of 68 Old 10-10-2008, 07:06 PM

I had been planning on nursing w/o covering so I could be a "good lactivist." And then I had a : moment and snapped out of it. I don't have to do something I'm uncomfortable with just to send a message. And how is me being clearly uncomfortable (because body language would probably give it away) going to encourage other women to nurse? So now my plan is to cover (unless I ever don't want to) so that I can just focus on enjoying my baby. In the end that's what's really important.
#27 of 68 Old 10-11-2008, 03:39 AM
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana9+2 View Post
I would cover up in any situation where I felt uncomfortable and wanted to.
Yup.

I've never covered my sons head nor do I carry a blanket of any description but there are many social occasions where for my comfort and others, I make sure to either arrange/adjust/pre plan my clothing or sit where no one will get an eyeful.

To my mind, normalising breast feeding doesn't involve displaying yards of naked flesh or making others uncomfortable by being 'immodest', for want of a better word.

That said and with an almost 17 month old, if you're gonna sit here and chat with me, you'd better like nipples cos your probably going to see 'em

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#28 of 68 Old 10-11-2008, 09:53 AM

I cover when *I* am uncomfortable and actually my hang-up isn't about showing "too much" breast (heck I have an awesome dragon tattoo on my breast that I'd love to show off to anyone) my issue is showing my big-stay-puft-marshmallow belly. So I'll cover if there is the slightest chance my belly would show.

I am the same with all of my babies, I love my boobies, loathe my belly.

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
#29 of 68 Old 10-11-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
I always cover up even around my girlfriends. Although it is permissible for women to see your breast while you a nursing, I'm just not comfortable with that.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#30 of 68 Old 10-11-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Yup.

I've never covered my sons head nor do I carry a blanket of any description but there are many social occasions where for my comfort and others, I make sure to either arrange/adjust/pre plan my clothing or sit where no one will get an eyeful.

To my mind, normalising breast feeding doesn't involve displaying yards of naked flesh or making others uncomfortable by being 'immodest', for want of a better word.

That said and with an almost 17 month old, if you're gonna sit here and chat with me, you'd better like nipples cos your probably going to see 'em
: (Except mine is 20 months.)

-- Miss 1928 -- and Opera Singing Mamma to Eloisa -- 12 Feb 2007
-- Wife to a Wonderful Husband and Pianist -- 27 March 2003

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page