Local Grocery Store Does The Right Thing!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This happened to a friend of a friend in my town: she was at a Food Lion with her 6 month old, who started crying and having a hard time. In the checkout line, the mom tucked baby in the sling and let her nurse. The checkout girl noticed and commented loud enough for other customers to hear: "Oh, I guess nowadays anybody can just whip it out anywhere they want to and the rest of us just have to deal with it!"

The mom, who'd been having a rough day, felt so bad she actually started tearing up. Another Food Lion employee happened to notice her crying (I'm not sure if it was another cashier or a stock person or what) but she asked the mom if she was okay, and the mom ended up telling her what the checkout girl said. The second employee immediately went to the manager, and the checkout girl was made to apologize to the mom, and ended up being suspended from her job(I'm not sure for how long) and reprimanded in her file. Isn't that nice?

Just wanted to share that.

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

#2 of 12 Old 10-22-2008, 11:52 PM

Good to hear! I cannot imagine under what circumstances it'd be appropriate to make a snarky comment about/to a customer like that! Regardless of the subject.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#3 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 01:33 AM

#4 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
Good to hear! I cannot imagine under what circumstances it'd be appropriate to make a snarky comment about/to a customer like that! Regardless of the subject.
Agreed. Just unbelievable that someone thought it would be appropriate to say such a thing. I hope she lost some pay over that and learned a lesson--and realized how WRONG she was!
#5 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 12:44 PM

I love how simple the store kept it. Employee said imappropriate thing, employee got reprimanded. No nurse ins, no petitions required.

Shame that the employee felt the need to say it in the first place though!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#6 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
I love how simple the store kept it. Employee said imappropriate thing, employee got reprimanded. No nurse ins, no petitions required.

Shame that the employee felt the need to say it in the first place though!
: And no "we're taking it very seriously."

I just have to say I hate the phrase "whip it out." It's so insulting. To me it seems to imply that someone nursing a baby is related to a man flashing people or something, kwim? I know there's something else about the phrase that pushes my buttons...but I can't quite put my finger on it.

What an awful, snotty thing for that cashier to do.
#7 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=hollyvangogh;12451116]: And no "we're taking it very seriously."
QUOTE]

Because when they do take it seriously, like this store did, they don't have to say so. Actions speak so much louder than words!
#8 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 08:48 PM

I love reading things like this! Simple, but effective (at least I hope).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
: And no "we're taking it very seriously."

I just have to say I hate the phrase "whip it out." It's so insulting. To me it seems to imply that someone nursing a baby is related to a man flashing people or something, kwim? I know there's something else about the phrase that pushes my buttons...but I can't quite put my finger on it.

What an awful, snotty thing for that cashier to do.
I agree about the phrase, but with my first baby my internal mantra whenever I was unsure about something was, "When in doubt, whip it out." In other words, nursing solves all manner of baby troubles and was my first line of defense as I waded into this parenting thing!

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
#9 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu822 View Post
I agree about the phrase, but with my first baby my internal mantra whenever I was unsure about something was, "When in doubt, whip it out." In other words, nursing solves all manner of baby troubles and was my first line of defense as I waded into this parenting thing!
See, that's cute! I just never hear the phrase used in any way other than to put down women who don't choose to cover - implying they just "want attention" or whatever. :
#10 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
See, that's cute! I just never hear the phrase used in any way other than to put down women who don't choose to cover - implying they just "want attention" or whatever. :
You're totally right. It IS offensive in that regard ...maybe we can change that, though! (Uphill battle, I'm sure.) I don't feel comfortable saying "whip it out" even as I used it, but it is a handy little rhyme, especially for a new mama! I've definitely been counseling my sister (due in Jan. and a new MDC member) about the many uses of breastfeeding! :

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
#11 of 12 Old 10-25-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu822 View Post

I still use this mantra.. So does DH.
I never thought of it as a negitive thing, probably since no one ever used it negatively towards me.. Maybe I should pick a different mantra

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#12 of 12 Old 10-26-2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
"Oh, I guess nowadays anybody can just whip it out anywhere they want to and the rest of us just have to deal with it!"
Well...yes! If it were said in a different tone of voice, that would actually be a fairly good lactivist statement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page