May Mamas...End of April - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 115 Old 04-15-2004, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OOPS...totally missed the May-bee thread! Well, can we start a new one since there are so many pages?

Just want to see how all of you are doing at this late date!
We had our home visit with the mw Vicki on Monday and it was great! She brought a great energy to the house and made all of us very excited for the birth! We reviewed procedures and such for the birth. She told us some things about how she operates, as far as when we can talk about things and when we just need to follow instructions :-). It was so neat to have a prenatal visit on my own bed! It was just sooooo awesome! She took a tour of the house and she was excited about the size of our tub and bathroom! The dogs were GREAT! They were totally mellow and listened so well. Dd stayed home from school to be here. Both the kids were so cute. As Vicki checked my belly and listened to the baby's heartbeat, ds stood next to me and rubbed my hand. Dd sat in the background with dh and watched so intently. Vicki offered to check my cervix but since dh is going out of town on the 27th, we are going to go see her before we take him to the airport. She will check me then. If I am thinned out or dialated...my man stays home! LOL

So, next Monday, I have the green light to go into labor! But it could still be another 5 weeks! I have been feeling a TON of pelvic and cervix pressure, not to mention the feeling like my hips are coming "unglued"! LOL Vicki said that it is the baby trying to engage into my uterus! WOW! Working with Vicki, I have learned so much this time around. There are just so many things that an OB just says are "normal" and a midwife explains. She loves to educate her clients! I really like that! Anyway, things are going well.

My mom and MIL will be here soon - my mom on the 20th and MIL on the 30th. I am excited for them to come! It think it will be fun to have a house full of supportive women!

I am going to try and have this baby starting on May 1st. I think that I will just try EPO (with my mw's ok), sex, and lots of walking. I don't think that I could handle nipple stim. I have heard that the herbs (like the cohoshs) make for a harder labor (just like pit) or maybe I heard that you can have unproductive contractions unless the baby is truly ready. Since many of those techniques will not work unless your body and the baby are ready for labor. YKWIM?

Have you had any feelings or intuitions about when the baby would come? Did you think of dates through your pg? I have been feeling (it may just be hoping, since the mw is going out of town) that the baby is going to come before May 6th (she is leaving 7,8,9). It sounds so silly when I write it out. I just feel like I may go earlier instead of later. But I refuse to go to the hospital, so I am sitting in the tub and drinking some wine while she is gone! :-)

Anyway, that's all for now! How are you?

Full Time Student Mama with a teenager blahblah.gif  a cool tween Peace.gif a rockin kid jammin.gif a pretty fairy  hearts.gifand a non-stop running machine joy.gif and still shouting about lactivist.gif  intactivist.gif  delayedvax.gif and signcirc1.gif
#2 of 115 Old 04-15-2004, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the new thread kanpope! I'll come out to play!

Had my 38 week check today. All is well in pg land for me. Didn't gain any weight in a week. Baby still really high up in my ribs, which is just fine with me, since my OB is leaving town for the weekend, and I really don't care for the OB who will be covering for him. My OB is in a solo practice, but I know the other solo practice OB covers for him,, and I just don't get a good vibe from him, so I'll be sitting with my legs crossed and avoiding laughing too hard or sneezing this weekend. :LOL I have a feeling it *might* be next weekend, but I only say that b/c dh has to work next weekend, making things more difficult. I delivered my first on a weekend that dh was working, and I specifically did not want to go into labor that weekend either. So it will be my luck to have to labor by myself while dh finishes work. Mainly b/c there is no backup for him on the weekends, not b/c he doesn't care. Plus, bil/sil who will be taking care of dd#1 while I'm in the hospital are having a friend in from California next weekend, so all signs point to it being the worst weekend to go into labor, so its a sure bet.

I'm so excited, I'm going to book my Mom's ticket here tonight. I just have to check with her tonight on the phone the weekend I picked to make sure it is OK with her. Unfortunately she'll only be able to come for a Thurs-Sunday visit but I'm thrilled she'll be able to come meet this new little person. Even better, the price I had been seeing on NWA's website is now $40 cheaper. So that makes me a happy camper. I think I'm going to have her come the weekend of May 20-23. Dh's and my 5 year wedding anniversary is the 21'st, so hoping we can *maybe* sneak away for an hour or so after the kiddos are sleeping (well, at least our 2yo anyway).

I'm really chatty about myself today. Feeling a little self-centered :LOL

Take care May Mamas!
#3 of 115 Old 04-15-2004, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah'sMama
I'm really chatty about myself today. Feeling a little self-centered :LOL
I think that all my pregnancies, I have been pretty much self-centered! :LOL I am constantly thinking about how I feel, about labor, about birth, about people being here for me, about the new baby, about what the new baby needs, what I want the new baby to have...and then I try to save a fair share for my dd and ds! :LOL Poor kids, when I am pg, they watch way too much TV! Then, I have to wean them!

Anyway, don't feel bad! These are the only times in our lives when it really is all about us! :LOL

Full Time Student Mama with a teenager blahblah.gif  a cool tween Peace.gif a rockin kid jammin.gif a pretty fairy  hearts.gifand a non-stop running machine joy.gif and still shouting about lactivist.gif  intactivist.gif  delayedvax.gif and signcirc1.gif
#4 of 115 Old 04-18-2004, 01:33 PM

sarah's mama, where in NE are you?
#5 of 115 Old 04-18-2004, 02:19 PM

I'm in Maine Anika-are you in NE too? We're having the best weather here today. 60 and sunny! Took dd oustside for a ride in the wagon, she had a ball!
#6 of 115 Old 04-18-2004, 07:46 PM

Here's a link to the old thread...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...97#post1344197

Do you think we should do some sort of a roll call? We have a ton of names on our "list", but not a ton of participation, and I was wondering how much we might be wondering when May rolls around... I could do something really dorky like put an asterisk next to "active" names (any better ideas are welcome!). And I think there are some recent joiners who aren't on this list...

User name (name), #which, EDD

Mcsarahb, 4/29 Its a GIRL!!!
Pottermamma, #2 4/30?
Sandra Dee, #5, 4/30? or 5/8?
Sarah'sMama (Sherri), #2, 5/1 It's a GIRL!!!
Dandjsmama (Wendy), #3, 1st week of May
NorthernLight, #2, early May
Fiddlefern, #1, ??, It's a BOY!!! (Luke)
Frankies_Mama (Julie), #2, 5/2 It's a GIRL!!! (Cecelia Louise)
Shalom, #3, 5/3
GoodWillHunter, #5, 5/3
Bekahsmom (Robbie-Lynn), #2, 5/3
Mommasuz (Suzy), #2, 5/4 It's a GIRL!!!!
MorningDove, #1, 5/5
BurnsideMommy (Rissa), #2, 5/5, It's a BOY!!!! (Hunter)
Andriagirlie, #2, 5/6
KKmama (Kristine), #2, 5/7, unmedicated hospital VBAC
Owen&mama (Dinah), #2, 5/10
Learning #1 5/10
Kanpope (Nicole), #3, 5/10, homebirth, It's a BOY!!!
JesikaJ (Jesika), #1, 5/10
Defenestrator, #2, 5/12
Mollyeilis, #1, 5/12
Marbles (Rayna), #3, mid-May
SquirmyWorm, #2, mid-May
Mere, #2, mid-May
Babywearingmama (Mary), #3, mid-May?
Pipermomma, #2, 5/14
PoeticNSoul, #3, 5/15
The Lucky One,#2, 5/18
Mamameg (Megan), #1ish, 5/18, It's a GIRL!!
TwirlGirl (Carla), #4, 5/19
Gus'smama (Elsa), #2, 5/19
Renae, #1, 5/19, It's a BOY!!!
Merpk (Amy), #4?, 5/20
Anothermama #2, 5/20-ish, It's a BOY!!!
2nurturemore, #6, 5/21
Phishmama (Julie), #3, 5/23
Kittymama, #1, 5/23
Theelves, #2, 5/23, It's a GIRL!!! (Kathryn Nadine)
A&L+1, #1, edd 5/23
Scbegonias (Stephie), #1, 5/24
Heatherfeather, #1, 5/25
Andrea0408 (Andrea), #3, 5/25, It's a GIRL!!
Kidatheart (Jennifer), #1, 5/26
Jacqulyn, 5/26
Sagesmamacrystal, #2, 5/28
PattyCakes, #1, 5/28
jakobsmami (annika) #2 5/28
Karenpl, #7, late May
Chanin2000, #2, 5/30
Liz-hippymom, #2 or #3?, 5/31
Jacqueline, #1, late May
Kids'ncows, #3, late May, unmedicated hospital VBAC
TurboClaudia (Claudia), #1, late May/ early June
OlyMama (Trish), #2, ??
DawnaRose (Dawn), #3, ??
Ahimsa, ??

If you have any additions or changes, please feel free to pm me or post a message, and I will update as soon as I can.
#7 of 115 Old 04-18-2004, 07:59 PM

Ug, I realized Friday that I had been feeling a little puffy and headachy all week, so I called the drs. office... no big deal, told to rest. Then dh later told me he'd been feeling the same... wondered if it was just the tummy bug lingering. Anyway, I've felt great this weekend, I've done a lot of yard work, get to pee in a cup tomorrow and see if anything's up (I doubt it, at this point).

Kanpope and Sarah's mom, I have been thinking that about myself! The world revolves around me, me, me!

I feel like I have the green light (as of tomorrow) too... I was 37 wks on Friday, my doula's out of town this weekend, but then back tomorrow for the long haul. I feel like a bit of a dork admitting this, but I still have my + HPT. Tomorrow, I'm going to burn it or destroy it or otherwise get rid of it (did this in my last pg, too)... symbolizes to me that I'm ready to give birth....

I had dh check my cervix on Friday (didn't want the dr. to do it), and as I expected, no dilation or effacement yet. No big deal.

Sarah, I like both your name suggestions. I think Delta June has more rhythm to it, though.

Morning Dove, sorry about your BP etc. Hopefully, your MW is just doing a bunch of "CYA" activity. How "low" is your iron, out of curiosity? Mine is ~34, and the dr. acts like it's a big crime, but hey, I'm taking the iron and feel great, and I *know* it was lower in my last pg.
#8 of 115 Old 04-18-2004, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by KKmama
I feel like a bit of a dork admitting this, but I still have my + HPT. Tomorrow, I'm going to burn it or destroy it or otherwise get rid of it (did this in my last pg, too)... symbolizes to me that I'm ready to give birth....
I keep my HPTs forever and out them in the kid's baby books!

#9 of 115 Old 04-19-2004, 11:21 AM

Hi everyone,
Hope you all had good weekends. We did, but it was too short! I'm very envious of those of you who only have a week or two left of your jobs. I guess I'm not far behind...only 3 1/2 weeks left for me, but it feels longer!

Sarah-I like Delta Katherine a bit more than Delta June. But, they're both nice and Delta is unique.

MorningDove-I understand feeling like the midwife at times can be a bit more concerned about things than I think she would be. Mine had me cut out white sugar & flour and my glucose wasn't even that hight by dr. standards (118). Now that I've cut it out, however, it's in the 80-90 range, so she's much happier. Also, she's been a bit concerned by my bp (normally in the 120/70-75 range) but last week it was 118/62 and she was happier. So, I guess it is a little bit of CYA. I also think in my case it's because we're having a home birth. I don't think she even wants me to approach any kind of high-risk category, so she's highly preventative. I'll take it if it's what I have to do to birth the baby at home, though, so I'm okay with it. Just a little surprised by it.

I just started week 34, so I'm still on visits every two weeks. Last one went well. We talked about getting the group B strep test (or not) at my 37 week visit. I need to research it a bit more, but I'm leaning toward having it. My next visit is next Friday, April 30 and since my mom will be in town, I'm taking her with me! She's been a bit concerned about the homebirth, so I'm hoping if she meets my mw, she might feel a bit better about things. I think my mom thinks it's weird that I'm asking her to go, but oh well. Small steps...

Baby shower this weekend and next, so it will be busy, but hopefully we'll get a lot of the stuff we need.

Have a great weekend anyway!
#10 of 115 Old 04-19-2004, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Jacqueline
I just started week 34, so I'm still on visits every two weeks. Last one went well. We talked about getting the group B strep test (or not) at my 37 week visit. I need to research it a bit more, but I'm leaning toward having it. My next visit is next Friday, April 30 and since my mom will be in town, I'm taking her with me! She's been a bit concerned about the homebirth, so I'm hoping if she meets my mw, she might feel a bit better about things.
I decided to do the GBS test because in the even that I have to transfer. I don't know if all hosptials are like this but around here, if you don't come in with a negative test, they assume you are postive and put you on an antibiotic drip! I have had two negatives with my other kiddos, so I am counting on this one being the same. If it is positive, my mw will treat me and I can still have my hb. I am pretty sure. Well, I am having the test tomorrow.

My mom is coming into town tomorrow and my MIL will be here on the 30th. I know that she is apprehensive about the hb, so I am a little nervous about the vibe that she will bring. My mom and dad met my mw and loved her! They are totally comfortable (or so they say) with the hb. I hoping my MIL will have a chance to meet her and hopefully it will ease any concerns that she may have. It is so lame, she has said more than once (only once to me, I got annoyed) that she is afraid that the baby could drown in a waterbirth! UGH!: DUH! She also loves to tell us horror stories that ended up well. "Her babies were born at 28 weeks and they did not think that were going to survive. It was horrible. But they made it and they are doing fine!" I don't want to hear anything but happy hb stories! :LOL

Okay, ended up venting a little! Sorry!

#11 of 115 Old 04-19-2004, 02:33 PM

Hey there!!!!

Had an appt Firday and my BP continues to rise So, bummed, but no other symptoms and it goes down considerably (from 120/90 to 120/62) when I lie on my left side....so I am spending lots of time on my left side. We did some blood work as well cause my blood from last time had coagulated prior to being tested??? So, this is actually good cause she ordered a liver screen, which can also tell us if the high BP is a concern. After this appt I decided I'm ready any time, then we can just avoid the whole BP thing ....but Ds is sick now with a horrid cough...so, we'll be waiting on the birth now (like I really have a choice right?????!!!!)

Re the Vit K...We choise not to do it with Ds and were not going to do it with this baby either...but, When talking to our midwife she suggested we do it...she said she used to be of the mind that it is the parent's choice and she would not push one way or the other (she really doesn't on most things) but she had an experience about a year ago with one of her clients that has led her to advocate for the shot, although she will support whatever decision the parents make. She had a client whose son was born beautifully, no brusing (I actually said the same thing, "well I'd do it if the birth were traumatic or there was visible bruising") no trauma...then about 6 weeks later internal bleeding and he died. Unfortunately the peds should have caught the problem, but had the baby had the vit K at birth there would not have been one at all. I guess there are two forms of the problem, one that happens directly after birth and one that can linger and not be caught till a few weeks post partum. I don't want to freak anyone into doing anything, just want to share another story related to the one McsarahB shared on the last thread. It doesn't just happen after brusing or a traumatic birth. This lady had a great birth, healthy baby, no problems at all...until....
Needless to say, We will be doing the shot this time...and I don't feel pressured, I just feel like this is important and have a different point of view I didn't see/learn with Ds. KWIM???
Isn't it great though that we have do choices and know that we don't have to just accept what our care providers tell us...there are so many options and it is learning about all the possible benefits and risks or each that is important, so we can then make the decision that best suits us. (OK enough rambling!!!!!)

Blessings to all of you...can't wait to see who goes first
#12 of 115 Old 04-19-2004, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by pottermamma
Re the Vit K...We choise not to do it with Ds and were not going to do it with this baby either...but, When talking to our midwife she suggested we do it...she said she used to be of the mind that it is the parent's choice and she would not push one way or the other (she really doesn't on most things) but she had an experience about a year ago with one of her clients that has led her to advocate for the shot, although she will support whatever decision the parents make. She had a client whose son was born beautifully, no brusing (I actually said the same thing, "well I'd do it if the birth were traumatic or there was visible bruising") no trauma...then about 6 weeks later internal bleeding and he died.
We were planning on forgoing the vit K shot but your post got me thinking (thank you! ) and I decided to do a little reading. This is from http://www.babyreference.com/VitaminKinjectORnot.htm

(emphasis is mine)

Vitamin K: Inject or Not

The problem of bleeding into the brain occurs mainly from 3 to 7 weeks after birth in just over 5 out of 100,000 births (without vitamin K injections); 90% of those cases are breastfed infants,3 because formulas are supplemented with unnaturally high levels of vitamin K. Forty percent of these infants suffer permanent brain damage or death.

The cause of this bleeding trauma is generally liver disease that has not been detected until the bleeding occurs. Several liver problems can reduce the liver's ability to make blood-clotting factors out of vitamin K; therefore extra K helps this situation. Infants exposed to drugs or alcohol through any means are especially at risk, and those from mothers on anti-epileptic medications are at very high risk and need special attention.

Such complications reduce the effectiveness of vitamin K, and in these cases, a higher level of available K could prevent the tragic intracranial bleeding. This rare bleeding disorder has been found to be highly preventable by a large-dose injection of vitamin K at birth.

The downside of this practice however is an 80% increased risk of developing childhood leukemia. While a few studies have refuted this suggestion, several tightly controlled studies have shown this correlation to be most likely.4,5

Apparently the cell division that continues to be quite rapid after birth continues to depend on precise amounts of vitamin K to proceed at the proper rate. Introduction of levels that are 20,000 times the newborn level, the amount usually injected, can have devastating consequences.

It goes on to say...

The breastfed infant can be supplemented with several low oral doses of liquid vitamin K8 (possibly 200 micrograms per week for 5 weeks, totaling 1 milligram, even more gradual introduction may be better). Alternatively, the nursing mother can take vitamin K supplements daily or twice weekly for 10 weeks. (Supplementation of the pregnant mother does not alter fetal levels but supplementation of the nursing mother does increase breastmilk and infant levels.)

Something for all of us to think about!

edited to add:
Here are a few other links with info ...
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/vitklong.html
http://www.wyethnutritionals.com/answers/q15.htm
http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/mult...pdfs/evm_k.pdf
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/lrf-/pr...ontroversy.htm
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml

#13 of 115 Old 04-19-2004, 04:14 PM

Had my prenatal appt. this morning... bp lower than last week (90/50, normal for me... last week was something like 110/60), no trace of protein, weigh less than last week, no headaches, no GI stuff, etc. so we're assuming it *was* a bug (dr. said something's been going around) and that I'm over it.

Found out the evil dr. has not had her baby yet Oh well. If I go into labor before she does and she's on call, I'll just have to deal with it.

Pottermama, I'm sending you bp lowering vibes.
#14 of 115 Old 04-19-2004, 05:00 PM

Hi all-

kanpope, thanks for that info re: injected vs. oral Vit. K. I think we will be going for the oral doses for the babe ourselves. I hadn't heard that about the link between leukemia and the injection; we had just chosen the oral to avoid the shot for the babe. But good info and now I'm even more glad we're getting it.

Not much new here. Mw appointment tomorrow and I think I will have one of them check my cervix. I have had tons of BH in the last week, very low down that feel kinda like menstrual cramps. I *think it's the cervix ripening/dilating kind (my mw said something to that effect) so I decided to go ahead and get checked. We'll see.

Otherwise trying to take lots of walks, do lots of squats, etc. I want to get this baby going! Can't wait to meet her!

Oh, and thanks for the responses on the names. I think we are going with something else, after all, but I will keep Delta on my list for next time.

Sarah
#15 of 115 Old 04-19-2004, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mcsarahb
I have had tons of BH in the last week, very low down that feel kinda like menstrual cramps. I *think it's the cervix ripening/dilating kind (my mw said something to that effect) so I decided to go ahead and get checked. We'll see.
What is BH?

#16 of 115 Old 04-19-2004, 07:04 PM

I've given up on keeping up with you all, but I did want to pop in and give you all a May Mama and lots of peaceful, easy birth energy.

BH is Braxton-Hicks, kanpope, and I've been having them like crazy over the last several weeks. Luckily they are doing something and I am currently about 3 cm and at least 50% effaced. I know I can be this way for another month, but at least that's 3 cm I don't have to do in active labor.

My hypno-birthing class is over and I've been practicing when I can. DH and I are planning a "hypno-birthing date" or two just to get some last minute practicing done without our Toddler on the Edge around. He's been keeping us on our toes, which might explain all the contractions! : I am so looking forward to this labor and birth as a result of these classes. I know it will be the experience that I missed out on the first time.

Anyway, I'm at 38 weeks and praying I make it through the next two weeks of work. Most likely I will, which I am sure will reveal my winning personality as the time drags on.

To all of you agonizing over the different intervention decisions, good luck. My experience has been that one agonizes to such an extent until the final decision, and then, boom, it's done and you move on to the next. There are so many risks we take in this world, so once you've come to peace with your decision, just know that you've done the best you can for your baby no matter what that decision is...and let it go. We really wrapped ourselves around the axle about every decision when pregnant with ds. We made some decisions in 'favor' of the medical community and some in 'favor' of the more holistic community. I found that in both arguments there were gaping holes, but in the long run I have a healthy, happy two-year-old, so nothing else matters. Call it luck, call it the right decisions...I'll never know.

And if you've read this far, forgive what appears to be some sort of advice. I usually don't vent my opinions on the boards since these things are such a personal decision and I'd hate to think my opinion was any better conceived than someone else's. In any event, there you have it.

I look forward to hearing all the birth stories and to experiencing my own! We're all so terribly lucky, aren't we?

Peace to you all!
#17 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 02:15 PM

kanpope, thanx for the info on the vit k. i think i'll go with a supplement for myself since i'll be bf'ing.

i am just wondering about this...i thought jewish people wait 2 weeks to circumcise when there was no vit k given, to prevent bleeding. i heard that the baby's body starts producing vit k at around that time. so why are all those deaths linked to the fact that the babies didn't get the shots, when they happend at 6 weeks or so. couldn't there have been something else wrong? or did i miss sth?
i hope all you firsttime mamas are going to your LLL meetings to get prepared for breastfeeding. the people i met there are just wonderful, finally some likeminded people.

sherri, i'm in manchester, nh. yep, sure is beautiful weather, we took ds to the beach yesterday and he was digging in the sand like a madman.
i think i'm a bit relaxeder (?) about the new baby and how ds is gonna react. i was so worried for a while about taking mommytime away from him that i even sometimes wondered, if i shouldn't have waited a year to get preggers again. maybe i feel better, cause he finally decided to sleep in his crib all night long with waking up maybe 2x insted of rolling around in our bed all night and kicking me in the belly.:LOL

got my next mw appt tomorrow and i suppose the gtt i took two weeks ago as well as the iron test went fine since i haven't heard from them. told them so!! so much for unneccesary testing...

so mamas, what are you eating these days? still as healthy as in the beginning, or do you think you can let yourselves go now that the baby is almost cooked anyways? my diet still looks the same as in the beginning....right now i'm having vanilla icecream with strawberry topping. hm:
#18 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 04:59 PM

Quote:
... by jakobsmami
... i thought jewish people wait 2 weeks to circumcise when there was no vit k given, to prevent bleeding ...

No, they don't.

Jewish people have the bris milah at 8 days unless there is a problem like severe jaundice or the baby is very premature. Vit K does not enter into the equation at all. It is irrelevant.

8 days.
#19 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 05:36 PM

I can't get over these smilies or pretty colors!
I think all the faery ones are my favorites! Hehe.
Anyway...I don't have a lot to say...is this thread for everyone to keep up with where we all are at any given time? And the abbreviations kind of confuse me: I've seen dd, dh, and all sorts of stuff I am not savvy on...but I'm a dork. Sorry for the silly questions. I'm new to this forum and I have mommy-brain!
So yes, this is my first child, I'm 36 weeks along as of tomorrow (so that makes me due on the 19th of May), and I am in the phase of my pregnancy where I am just not comfortable! My back hurts, my legs/feet hurt, my wrists and shoulders hurt, my lower pelvis hurts! Every friggin' thing pains me! Not to mention my little one's body parts getting jammed up in my ribs!
I've scheduled a prenatal massage from a professional who was HIGHLY recommended by someone in my yoga class, for next week! I am so looking forward to it, because, I tell ya, it is SO needed right now!
I am on my "maternity leave" (actually, I quit my job so I can be a SAHM for a little while...not sure how long since money will be tight but I will do what I can!) now so the realization that this birth is just around the corner just blows me away! I am so excited and scared a little, too. My baby shower is this weekend and I can't wait!
Not much else going on though...I go to my OB this Thursday. Still trying to find a pediatrician and really really enjoying the fine weather here in New England. I try to go out whenever I can.
Good luck and hello to all you fellow May mamas! I'm really excited to find such a great forum!

-Renae
#20 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by renae
And the abbreviations kind of confuse me: I've seen dd, dh, and all sorts of stuff
Renae -
Check out http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&threadid=2080

That will help you out! Welcome!

#21 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 07:06 PM

MCSARAHB......Did these cramps you had feel real severe, real low, like just above the pubic line?? That is what I had this past weekend while camping. I thought I just needed to go to the bathroom. By the time I walked over to the building, I was doubled over with pain! It sure scared me a bit! I was wondering how I could get help, I was far from my family! After sitting on the potty a little while, it went away. After I got back I took some Maalox, thinking maybe it was gas. It hasn't happened again like that, but that was scarey! You think that was a BH?
Today i feel SO SLUGGISH! I can barely walk when I have to. I feel like I swallowed a bowling ball! I am ok as long as I am sitting or laying. But forget walking! And I still have 5 weeks to go!!! I hope this is just an "off day", and I will return to "normal" tomarrow! This sux!:
I was wondering if I should start doing a walking program now? I have not been exercising regularly this whole time...with the problem of my knee and all. But now I am considering doing some walking, not a lot. Do yall think this would do any good this far along, or am I wasting my time?.......hugs...Elfmamma
#22 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 07:35 PM

Welcome Renae!

Elfmama - I thought you were going to lay off the excitement! My experience with bh is that they are not severe, although with this one if the baby is in a certain position they can cause me to need to seek a bathroom! Were you dehydrated? That can cause premature labor. My SIL had a case of that with one of hers around 5 or 6 weeks early. (She was on a car trip and trying to avoid the restroom.) I would guess that walking would be OK, but you probably ought to double check. I don't want to eat much now and what I do want doesn't have much protein so I've been sluggish, too. I sure notice a difference on the days that I start out with 2 or 3 eggs, take my vitamins and keep up the water - too bad I don't want to!

Owen&mama, glad you checked in!

No new news here.

OK, I need to get back to work! Everybody take care of yourselves and your little ones.
#23 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 07:55 PM

Good afternoon-

jakobsmami, funny you said that about LLL - I just went to my first meeting this morning., You're right; it was great. Lots of like-minded mamas and good info. The leader was good and went out of her way to get people to talk about early bfing issues just for my benefit (I was the only pg mama there this time). I know most of the stuff from reading, being a doula, etc. but of course it will be different when it's actually happening to me! I'm glad to have such a great resource of mamas who have BTDT, and are local!

Elfmama, the feelings I was talking about are not gas or other intestinal pain; they are definitely contractions. They're not super painful, just uncomfortable and low, I think where my cervix is. My mw said that ones like that that feel like menstrual cramps usually mean that the cervix is "ripening." (My dh hates that word for it...he says it makes him think of a piece of rotten fruit:LOL ).

Although I DO have plenty of gas pain...:LOL ...but I can tell the difference. Sorry you had such an experience. Hope that doesn't happen anymore. I agree, maybe you were dehydrated.

Off to my mw appointment!

Sarah
#24 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 08:39 PM

kanpope--thank you for the link to the thread! It was just what I was looking for. I felt a little lame not knowing some of the acronyms!
I figured the dh, dd, ds were SOMETHING to do with immediate family (like, "darling husband", etc). I also wouldn't have gotten the one for La Leche League--I would have just spelled it out! Hehe.

But now, I think I am cool.
(I got the smilies down! Heck yea!)

Obviously I just posted. No new stuff here. My back still hurts when I sit here at the computer so I guess I will go rot my brain at the teevee with my husband. Blah.
Oh, about LLL--I was supposed to go to my first meeting last Thursday, but I totally forgot because I didn't write it down and there was some discrepancy with where it was going to be held and I thought the leader was going to call me, and it was my last day of work on top of that. *sigh* I was sad I missed it, it would have been my first.
I will try to make it to the one in May (they're the third Thursday of the month where I am) but I may be busy with the new babe by then!
I WILL make it to one, oh yes I will.
Ow, back. Gotta run.

-Renae
#25 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 09:04 PM

I had a midwife apointment Friday. I am 1cm dialated and a little bit effaced. I am exited. My fiance is coming home next week, after being gone for two months. I cannot wait! I've been feeling good except for being a bit puffy these past few days. Hopefully, it's nothing. Baby hasn't engaged yet. Maybe he's waiting for daddy to get home. I have been really tired and lazy. I can't seem to get off my butt and take a walk. I have managed to do my yoga a few times a week. I wish I could motivate myself to walk. I know it would make a big difference. Besides that I've been getting everything ready for my homebirth.

Ahimsa

Mother to two great kids. &
#26 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 10:13 PM

Hey hey May mamas! Welcome aboard, Renae.

I'm feeling really good tonight...just got a two day dosage of unseasonably warm spring weather in *gasp* the spring!! I feel so rejuvinated....much needed after all the bh contrax and pelvic pains I've been experiencing of late.

Had a good appt last night-all vitals in check and bp was down-WOO HOO!! I've put on 41 lbs this pg so I'm right on w/what I gained with ds#2 (Ian). I am at weekly appts from here on out and scheduled the remainder of my appts last night too.

I'm feeling more ready for the baby to get here-I've been nesting a bit and now all the layette clothing is washed and put away, the last of the diapers and covers are purchased and here, ready to go, and I just got both a maya wrap sling and pouch. Dh is ready too and he's convinced the baby will come in early May. I still won't let myself get excited b/c only time will tell and no matter what, I'm gonna have this baby in my arms "soon".

Well, Ricky's 5th birthday is tomorrow so I better close and get wrapping his gifts.

Keep on keepin on, mamas! Should we start wagering bets on who we think is gonna go first?!
#27 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 10:14 PM

merpk, thanks for clearing that up for me.

renae, i had a hard time with all the abbreviations at first. go and check out the diapering board,:LOL you'll go crazy...:LOL

on the vaginal exams: my mw's usually don't check until at least 38 weeks, but i'm thinking about not having any at all. any other mamas here who say "no" entirely and wait until they go in labor?

my is hurting a lot lately when i sit down for a bit longer. i can barely make it through dinner and checking my mails and posting a bit is a big challenge these days. but i'm thankful i don't have those excruciating backpains like i had them with ds.
#28 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jakobsmami
on the vaginal exams: my mw's usually don't check until at least 38 weeks, but i'm thinking about not having any at all. any other mamas here who say "no" entirely and wait until they go in labor?
None for me! Just isn't a standard part of the practice for my midwives. It is entirely possible I might make it all the way through the birth without one as well. Sometimes they will do an early labor check to gather info that helps them tell whether or not to call in the apprentice and second midwife, but I have a history of fast births, so if I look like I am in labor, they will probably all just show up.

Prenatal vaginal exams can be so misleading. I have known women who remained at 6cm for weeks, and women who were 0% effaced and not dilated who had their babies 36 hours after the appointment. There are times when they can be useful, but my provider would have to give me some pretty good reasons for doing them before I would consent.

I had my first of my weekly prenatals yesterday. Everything is fine, except my bp, which is creeping up, but it did that last pregnancy as well and never got too high. I have no swelling or other pre-e symptoms, though, so I am not too worried.

My house is still a total disaster. In my nesting efforts, I have torn everything up and have several projects running at the same time. My four-year-old has been showing signs of new-baby-worry-stress, including a bit of potty training regression, so I am trying to soothe him a little bit.

Dh and I have a date this Friday, when my mom is taking my ds overnight. I am so looking forward to being alone for 18 hours or so. We are broke, so we will probably not do anything too extravagant, but dinner, movie, sex, sleep, sleeping in . . . it's all good enough for me!

Take care everybody. I hope we hear some birth stories soon!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#29 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 10:43 PM

Welcome, Renae! Ahimsa, are you new, too?

I did the GBS because I figured it would be better to know, I could always refuse interventions, and odds were likely that I was -. The gamble paid off (I'm -).

Hugs to you, Pottermama. I really hope your BP stays as low as possible!

More and more BH here, which makes me feel positive...

Sarah, did you get checked?

Maybe owen&mama will go first...

Elfmama, take it easy! Would it be possible to swim instead of walking? I wouldn't want to exacerbate the knee thing... I'm sorry it's still bugging you. It's been months since you fell, hasn't it?

I agree on going to LLL meetings *now*. I wish I had done it when I was pg with ds... I was so busy (and grumpy), but it would have been a good thing.

I'm still eating pretty darned healthy, but I can't squeeze as much in. Sometimes protein is a chore.

I've decided that I'm not going to have any internals unless there is a good reason to do it... I don't see that there's any huge benefit to them, and I'm pretty sure I won't accidentally go into labor and have the baby without noticing. If I get really curious, I'll have dh wash his hands really well and check me. I'm less worried about his flora than what might be floating around the drs. office or hospital.
#30 of 115 Old 04-20-2004, 10:47 PM

I'm wondering if we want to do some sort of check-in or something as May approaches (with regard to the roll call list)... It seems like we have a lot of people listed who are sort of MIA or lurking or whatever... I just don't want to wonder if so and so ever had her baby.

What do you think about putting an asterisk next to the people who have been actively posting (well, around sometime in the last couple of months)? I'd be open to other ideas, too (or doing nothing at all).

Anyone?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page