Birth Stories! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 05-04-2004, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I'll start this thread! Everyone feel free to jump on in .

My contractions started during the night on Friday and by Saturday morning were obviously "real" but still irregular. Dh and I tried to make it a normal day. By lunchtime, things were a little more regular and we told the midwives to come on over. At this point, being a first-timer, I really didn't know how much longer I had but felt pretty ready for them to be there.

MW assistant arrived around 3:30 to see how I was doing. She and dh set up the tub. I was getting ansy for the other mws so she called them. One came over around 4:30 (?) and I got in the tub. I really wanted to know how dilated I was, but was really scared to get checked. At that point I was pretty much in laborland and everything sounded too complicated.

Once I was in the water I felt a lot better; mw checked me and I was at 6 cm. and paper thin. The baby was already super low and the mw was very excited that I was progressing so fast. I was so relieved!! I was so sure I was at, like, 2 cm or something, and it was good to know that pain was doing something. Mw and assistant got their "just in case" equipment all ready while I labored on with dh at my side. Mw #3 also arrived at some point.

I was soon ready to push - really quick from 6 cm to pushing! The asst. tried to check me again, but my position was weird and she said all she could feel was head, so just to trust my body and do what it told me. The contractions had turned into pushes by then. My brain had nothing to do with pushing - it was completely, totally involuntary. Felt really bizarre, amazingly powerful. At some point dh got in the tub with me and sat behind me; I had turned around to a sitting position.

I pushed for about 45 minutes, baby crowned slowly, we felt the head, mws supporting me. Loved feeling the head! I remember that so clearly. And then BOOM, babe shot out all at once, body and all. Mws caught her and brought her to my chest, dh and I held her. After the cord stopped pulsing they cut it and handed her to dh while I delivered the placenta.

Once that was taken care of, she nursed right away (WOW - what an awesome feeling!) and we rested. I got 2 or 3 stitches for a very small tear from the torpedo baby.

Happy and healthy now, tiring and wonderful last three days. I can't believe I'm a mama! What a wild experience - what an amazing high. Hard work but so completely worth it. Dh was so great; I couldn't have done it without him. Such a reassuring presence, always at my side.

Sorry so long...who's next?!

Sarah
#2 of 78 Old 05-05-2004, 08:22 AM

FANTASTIC story Sarah!!!
#3 of 78 Old 05-05-2004, 10:51 AM

Oh Sarah! How awesome! It gets me so excited!!!!!!! I'm so thrilled you had such a great experience!!!!!!!!!
#4 of 78 Old 05-05-2004, 10:56 AM

I loved your story! I love birth stories.

Thanks for sharing it
#5 of 78 Old 05-05-2004, 11:22 AM

WOW! Sounds like a quick, loving labor.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us, Sarah!

And of course, Congratulations and Welcome Lillian!

Megan
#6 of 78 Old 05-05-2004, 06:07 PM

Ooh! I adore birth stories! I used to read them even before I got pregnant, because they are so amazing!
Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful experience! And Welcome Lillian!
Congratulations!!!
This is making me so excited! Yay!

-Renae
#7 of 78 Old 05-05-2004, 11:41 PM

Wow! So inspiring!! Sounds like a *great* experience! (And I *love* the name you gave her!)
#8 of 78 Old 05-08-2004, 09:58 PM

ok, so let me see how much of this i can get out between baby and toddler needing their mamma!!!!!

I started feeling contractions thursday but they were really irregular and like 2 hours apart. I called our midwife thurs evening just cause she wanted a nice warning, but nothing was really going on that she needed to be here for. We went to bed and I slept on and off till 1:30 when I couldn't sleep anymore. I had contractions about 15 min apart from then till 5:30 when we decided to call our midwife. I knew things weren't really going to happen too soon but cause of the blood pressure issues we felt like it would be good to have her come. So, she came at about 6:30 or so and took my blood pressure, which was high of course but not scary high....so on my left side I stayed while she set up. contractions slowed a bit at this point as she was having me tell her when they started and when they stopped, she reassured me this was normal cause I was feeling badly she was here already. her assistant arrived not too long after and i felt really grateful everyone was here and set up....now we just needed a baby. i was 5 1/2 cm at this point and just having nice contractions I could handle and breathe through. after a while they suggested i go for a walk with dh...which i was SO into since i was sick of being on my side. so, we took a nice walk for about an hour with me squatting with my contractions. It really felt great and when we got back our midwife was asleep , and we sat and talked with her assistant (someone we knew anyway) for a while. I just took conversation breaks with my contractions and layed on my left side.
This continued on till about noon when everyone was ready for lunch, except me. things started getting more intense and i went back to the bedroom and layed down. after lunch they checked me and i had only made it to like 6 1/2 but labor was really just beginning to pick up. Kept getting more and more intense and then I puked....tons....Ds was in and out the whole time too, which was so great. After a while I got up and went outside again just to get things going. I was looking at the mountains connecting with the Spirit and the birthing power of nature and felt like I needed to push...I hollered that out and they all came runnin!!! We ran back inside (as much as I could run) and they checked me...only 9cm.. i was so bummed, but things kept getting stronger and stronger and i was really giving into my primal energy. i wanted to push again and they checked me again and i had an anterior lip (AHHHH) so after a few more i really had to give in to the urge to push...so we pushed for about 1/2 hour or so and i was really getting tired. but they helped me through. i birthed kyler on my bed on my left side with dh holding my one leg and the midwife catching and her assistant allowing me to prectically rip her hand off. Ds and our friend watched the whole thing!!! I pushed him out at 5:07 pm. Dh cut the cord after while and Ds oversaw this as well. Kyler Morrow had a nice size head (14 in) and I pushed him our quick and hard and ended up tearing almost end to end, but saved the rear!!! So, I got bunches of stiches while holding my beautiful new son. after while he nursed we weighed him and he was 8lbs 7 oz, 21 and 3/4 in long. the midwives cleaned up and were on their way at about 10:30pm...then it was just Dh and i and our new son sleeping in our bed and our other son peacefully asleep in his. we just both sat and marvled at our new family for a while before drifting off to sleep.

your story was excellent to read mcsarab...so glad you had such a great birth as well....Birthing is so powerful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#9 of 78 Old 05-08-2004, 10:44 PM

Oh pottermama!!!!!!! Aside from the tear (ouch!) it sounds LOOOOOOVELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're making me EAGER to birth this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#10 of 78 Old 05-08-2004, 11:10 PM

Ohhhhh, Sarah and Pottermamma-thank you both so much for taking the time to share your baby stories here!! !!! I reading both of them and now I have happy tears in my eyes. Gosh, this is all so very exciting! I really needed to see these stories and feel the energy from you both right now. You've each given me quite a smile and a bit of levity about what all this discomfort is for, and that there is an oh so happy end in sight.

Oh, and pottermamma-YEOUCH!! I hope your tear heals quickly.
#11 of 78 Old 05-09-2004, 09:35 AM

Thanks so much for sharing Pottermama. Sounds like a great birth - save the tear - OUCH. Take it easy and I'm sending you lots of healing vibes.

Congratulations again!
#12 of 78 Old 05-09-2004, 02:15 PM

Thanks you guys for the healing vibes...the stiches are already feeling much better and the swelling is down TONS!!!!!! All for a great cause right!!!!
#13 of 78 Old 05-10-2004, 03:30 PM

Hi everyone! Am I only the third May mama to have had a baby? Gavin was born on May 6th, so it's taken me a few days to get on the computer!

My birth story:

I started to have some suspicions that the birth was imminent on Wednesday, as I was having WAY more BH than normal. They weren't bothersome at all though, so I carried on as usual, working, making dinner, etc. While I was making dinner I noticed the contractions were starting to sort of feel like something more than the usual BH, so, as I was standing next to the microwave clock, I started timing them. Fairly regular. Hmm...After we got dd in bed around 8:30, I started paying more attention to them, trying to figure out if this was indeed the real thing. Well, eventually I deterined that yes, they were (more and more they were starting to feel like something); I also realized that it was 10PM at that point, so I likely had a very long night ahead of me. The contractions were still light at that point and spaced anywhere from 4-6 minutes apart, but sadly, they weren't quite light enough to actually let me get any sleep. So, I read for a while and got things ready, then I called the midwife to let her know that things were picking up in intensity. As the contractions were still 4-6 minutes apart, she suggested I sit in the bathtub for awhile and see how things progressed from there. I ended up sitting in the tub for about an hour, during which time the contractions continued to become more and more intense, but still 4-6 minutes apart. After I got out, I told dh that I was about ready to go to the birth center; by this point, I couldn't function very well through the contractions. We met the midwife there around 4:45 AM, and boy were they INTENSE at that point. Interestingly though, they were still 4-6 minutes apart, which ended up being my saving grace. She checked me, declared me to be at 6cm, and I got back in the bathtub there (a great big clawfoot tub I should add - very nice!). After about an hour in the tub of squeezing dh's hand through contractions like no tomorrow, I threw up, figured I was in transition, and got out. The midwife checked me once again and lo and behold, I was at 10cm. Now the fun begins...to preface, I had a really hard time pushing dd out...it took me over 2 hours. This time I was assured repeatedly by just about everyone that second babies ALWAYS push out quickly, 3-4 pushes, no problem. That's what I was expecting this time around. WRONG. Three and a half hours later I had a baby...leave it to me to take longer to defy the odds...geez. Anyhow, it was possibly the hardest thing I've ever done, but I eventually got the deed done and Gavin was born at 9:25 that morning. As it turns out, he was posterior - a surprise, since I had absolutely no back labor. Aparently posterior babies are harder to push out. Anyhow, I can't complain - I had no tearing of any sort, and literally as soon as he was born I felt fine...isn't labor just amazing in that way? I should also mention that my contractions never did pick up in frequency - they remained 4-6 minutes apart the whole time. Although this probably made my pushes somewhat less effective, I was SO thankful for the break. There's no way I could've pushed for that long if my contractions had been any closer together.

Anyhow, we were all feeling great post-birth so we went home about 4 hours later and tried to catch up on some sleep...I can't say that I've stayed up for over 24 hours in a looooong time (and I don't care to do it again!). Gavin is doing very well now and is a fabulous nurser...my milk just came in so I'm in that wonderful Incredibly Hulk stage right now, but otherwise, I feel great and am up and around.

Thanks for letting me share, and good luck to all the other May mamas!!!

Edited to add a link for pictures: http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...1&sort_order=0

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#14 of 78 Old 05-10-2004, 06:06 PM

Welcome baby Gavin!!!!!!!!!!! And warm hugs to you Meredith, mama of two!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing your birthing story!!!!!!!!!!

Two Oregon May mamas with babies already... are fiddlefern and I the only other Oregon May mamas-to-be?

warmly,
claudia
#15 of 78 Old 05-10-2004, 06:18 PM

Welcome Gavin!!!!!!

What an excellent birth!!!!! 3 1/2 hours of pushing WOW!!!!! You are a trooper!!!!! Have fun with your new baby boy!!!!!
#16 of 78 Old 05-10-2004, 08:59 PM

GREAT birth Meredith (3.5 hrs of pushing!!? You're my new hero!)

Congratulations to your whole family and Welcome Baby Gavin!!

So glad to hear you're all doing well. Thank you for sharing!
#17 of 78 Old 05-10-2004, 10:40 PM

OK, gonna try to get this typed before I forget too much....

Katelyn Marie Born on May 5, 2004 at 12:31 am

As many of you remember, I went past my due date. At my appt. last week, my doc was concerned with how big the baby was, and wanted to make sure I could avoid a C by having too big of a baby. So we decided to induce. I really can't tell you how disappointed I was by this, but at the same time, I didn't want to take any risks with the health of my baby. So I went to the hospital at 4pm on Tuesday and he inserted Cervadil around 5. They brought us dinner (lobster rolls! Only in Maine I guess). Dh and I just surfed TV for a while. I asked my nurse around 6 if the Cervadil was going to put me into labor, how long does it normally take. She said around 2 hours after insertion is when most people start noticing discomfort/contractions. Well, no sooner than I ask her this, I get up to use the bathroom, and noticed I was feeling a little crampy. So, get back in bed and chat with dh for a while. Around 7, things were a little more uncomfortable, but nothing too big. The biggest complaint I had was how my butt was so sore, but was assured that it was from the Cervadil working on my cervix, and all the nerves in that area. Around 8 or 9, things were definitely more uncomfortable. At 10, I tried to sleep, but by then was getting definite contractions. About 11 is when things started to pick up fast. I went from manageable contractions that I could breathe through with little trouble to full on contractions. Dh was timing them-lasting for 45 seconds coming every minute! Yowza! Anyway, around 1130 I started to feel some pressure, told my nurse, and she checked me because I was really wanting some drugs, because the contrax were *so* intense and close together, I felt a little out of control. So she checked me and tells me I have made tremendous progress, baby has come way down. I ask her how dilated I am, and she says she can't tell me until another nurse checks. Another nurse checks. Get the same answer. So a third nurse checks, and finally she tells me I was completely 10! So the next hour is a complete whirlwind. The nurses are running around, getting my doc there, getting the delivery kits and baby stuff. By this time, I couldn't help but push, the need was so intense. So the nurses let me push, and my doctor soon arrived. While I was pushing right after he arrived, I felt my water break, or should I say explode? It was the weirdest feeling. So I pushed more intently once he was there, because I wanted to make sure he got there in time. Unfortunately had to have an episiotomy b/c of how fast everything took place. Soon after that, her head was out and I remember him telling me not to push, and that was so hard. Even though I wasn't consciously pushing, I could feel my body still pushing. But during this time he had to cut the cord, because it was wrapped around her neck twice. After that, her shoulders came out, and she just kinda slid right out. That was the strangest feeling, like she just slivered out. They brought her up to me and I got to hold her right away. They all were exclaiming what a big baby she was so they took her to be weighed. 8lbs 12 oz! And she was long too 21.75inches! I got to hold her while I was being stitched up and dh did too. She nursed right away, latched on like an old pro!

I still cannot believe how fast and intense everything was. I was GBS+ and didn't even have time for the antibiotics. The nurses were getting them ready for me right before I got busy pushing! I am so amazed at what I accomplished-I have never felt such satisfaction in my body. My dh was incredible through it all too. I swear his shirt will never be the same. The only thing that got me through those contrax were him-he came right down and I hugged him *tight*. A couple times I really tugged at his shirt-I'm surprised I didn't rip it right off! lol!

Katelyn is a great nurser. My milk came in on Friday and she's been munching away ever since. I forgot how tender my nipples would be the first few days though. Yikes! Physically I feel awesome. I can't believe how much quicker the recovery has been the second time around. Went for a walk outside with dh and dd's last night in our neighborhood, and we even have some pretty good hills. I don't really even feel my stitches either less than a week postpartum. I almost feel normal again! If it weren't for my sore nips-I would say I felt normal.

Now we are just trying to get in some sort of groove with the two kids. Dd 1 is really being affected by Katelyn's arrival. She loves the baby, always kissing on her and stuff, just having a hard time with the adjustment though, so therefore, I've really been having a hard time too. It is so hard to see her so unhappy, just breaks my heart.

Wishing all of you lots of healthy birthing and recovery vibes! Thanks for reading our story.

edited to clarify-even though i was really wanting drugs at one point, i didn't get any, and i'm so glad i didn't. makes the feeling of accomplishment that much better!
#18 of 78 Old 05-10-2004, 11:17 PM

long time lurker here...

Hi folks, and congrats to our first few May babes!! I had a little girl last night at 8:30pm Little Ivy was born in a fishy pool in the kitchen after a one and a half hour manageable labor and 2 pushes...one for her sweet head and one for the rest of her! Her 2 smitten sisters Olivia and Annika jumped in with us to dote on her, sing to her help me deliver the placenta and rub her vernix in!

I will post a full story soon...I'm totally in love with her, she smells insanely awesome and I can't stop kissing her!

What a great Mother's day!

peace to the Mamma's in waiting!
#19 of 78 Old 05-11-2004, 04:12 AM

Enjoying all the stories, and welcoming all the babies ... take good care of yourselves, mamas ...
#20 of 78 Old 05-11-2004, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the story Sarah. WOW! That's a fast/intense labour!! Glad you're feeling good though.

Marbles! Congratulations and welcome Ivy! Can't wait to hear your story - sounds amazing!
#21 of 78 Old 05-11-2004, 09:43 AM

Wow! I don't read the forum for one day and here are all these amazing stories! CONGRATULATIONS to all you new mamas!
I tell you...reading all of this today is really just making me so happy, and I'm now anticipating the arrival of my own little one even more! Thank you so much for sharing all these beautiful experiences!

Welcome babies! Congrats families!

-Renae
#22 of 78 Old 05-11-2004, 11:20 AM

Congratutlations to all the new arrivals...! I can hardly believe I am reading the birst annoucnements and stores of women who were due in the SAME MONTH as me! I guess I better get used to it... and finish packing that hospital bag while I'm at it. (Procrastinator.... who, ME?

But seriously, as a first timer, it gives me great comfort to read these birth stories... stories from women who understand that birth is natural and normal and not something to be feared. As much as I believe that in my heart, my head has been building up a bit of anxiety lately, and reading the accounts of others has definitely helped to remind me, "I CAN DO THIS!" Thanks mamas for helping a newbie feel just that much more at ease!

Megan
#23 of 78 Old 05-13-2004, 06:33 PM

Hello I am mainly a lurker, but I thought that I would share my story.

I am not as crunchy as most other moms here, but I still love to read.

So I hope you enjoy my somewhat different story. I was due in May but had an end of April baby

Birth Story for Shyanne Amber 4.28.04 Edd 5.9.04

Tuesday nights is dh’s guys night out, so he goes to his cousins and plays games etc…
While he was gone I put the travel system together by myself and I was munching on some pineapple.

Dh got home at about midnight and I bet now he wishes he had came home a bit sooner. About 12:37am I had realized I was having some contractions about every 3 minutes or so and they had been going on nearly an hour. Being that we live a ways away from the hospital I decided to call because they were a little bit different. I had also lost some of my plug earlier in the day and just before as well but I still didn’t think much of it.

We called the labor floor and they advised I should probably come in. I was 38wks and 3 days. I had Ds on Wednesday of my 38wk just as I did Shyanne. Kind of weird huh?
By the time we got there it was nearly 1:30-2am, and of course my contractions were kind of irregular…got to be around 3am or so after being monitored, they checked me I was at least about a 4-5 they were quite surprised about it considering my contractions weren’t very regular nor strong and I wasn’t having much pain. So about 330am they decided to admit me and my doc would see me in the morning to break my water had it not broke on its own. They were on to check my every 2 hours my last check I was nearly at a 7cm and 70% effaced they laughed saying I didn’t need an epidural I seemed to handle the pain well. I just laughed and said no I want it because I am sure that it’s going to hurt at some point J 5am the epidural lady came in and put in a half dose they wouldn’t allow me to sit up because they were worried I would become complete because I had dilated rather fast. I woke dh up, as I was about to get the Epidural, I let him sleep because he hadn’t slept since 5am on Tues. and here it was 5am on wed morning. I had been up since 10 am the day before, so needless to say I was beat. After I got my epidural I laid down I was almost at an 8 and then I had started to feel some pressure they checked again and said that I was nearly complete but the internal part of my cervix was at a 7-8 apparently there are 2 layers and usually they dilate together but I didn’t lol.
So of course the internal was what is most important lol…even though I was able to stretch to a 10 they wanted to have me catch up. They called my doc in and she had came in and broke my water then checked me again was nearly a 9. She had to go into surgery since Wed that is her surgery day so she said that she’d see me in 2 hrs hopefully.
At that point they had decided to give me pitocin because I had kind of slowed and not had any progression over a 2 hr period. So I got the pitocin and that took about 20mins or so for me to get complete and they called my doctor out of surgery and I had a fingertip left so we pushed through it. About a half an hour later Shyanne was born, she weighed 6lbs 8.3oz and was 18” long. She was totally perfect and beautiful.
My epidural helped ease my contractions but I was able to still move my legs some and lift my butt up.
So since I could feel all the pressure of it all and a little bit of pain not too much to really even consider it pain, but I felt the entire birthing process. I had to have an episiotomy because Shyanne’s hb would decrease every once in awhile while I was pushing. And was becoming sluggish to return to a normal range. I had one with ds so I was ok getting another one. And she is now 2 wks old and the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen.

I just remember since I had felt everything thinking omg I am going to crap all over my doctor lol…with Cole I had felt nothing so I didn’t worry about it, even though I know that it happens! Lol but needless to say it was wonderful being able to feel all the birthing process. My doctor was fantastic and the nursing staff was fantastic. We estimate my labor was about 8hrs or less. Steve was fantastic and so sweet. I had such an amazing experience and I am glad to be home.
Big Brother Cole is doing great! The hardest part for me was for when we had to take him to gma’s to have the baby then his first hospital visit, where I couldn’t go home with him. He has been a big help and hasn’t even acted out or been jealous at all. He is a little whiny at times, but that is nothing really new. He seems to not care if I have to take care of her, but he wasn’t too keen on daddy doing it.
One piece of advice is to make sure you have batteries in all of your baby items lol because you just never know when you will go. We have none and still don’t so life is a bit of a hassle, but Shyanne loves to be held and I love to hold her so right now we are bonding and learning each other. I am nursing and doing to exclusively right now and it is really the most amazing experience. I was unable to breastfeed Cole and he turned out just fine, but I gave the attempt to him as I did with Shyanne and she has taken to it very well.

Needless to say I am in my underwear and nursing bra all day. Once my milk came in for the 2 days it came in, day 3-4 I needed to wear one because I felt the pull of gravity and I thought that I would fall over. My mom is coming in this weekend so I am looking forward to that and I also have a friend who is due in sometime next week. I am sorry that I am not around too much but I know that everyone understands. I want to thank everyone for going through this amazing experience with me and I am truly lucky to have all of you wonderful woman/moms in my life to share my children with you. I just can’t wait until all of us have our little ones to hold and snuggle on the outside!

I will see if i can put a picture of her too. This was her at 2 wks old.
http://w3.the-kgb.com/elph/Shyanne%20Amber/hello1.jpg
#24 of 78 Old 05-13-2004, 06:42 PM

Wow Jaime! Congratulations! What a great story. It sounds as if you had a wonderful labor & birth!
Welcome Shyanne! Lovely name, btw.
(I am loving the birth stories! I can't wait till I get to post my own!)

-Renae
#25 of 78 Old 05-14-2004, 07:28 PM

Congratulations Jaime and thank you for sharing your great story! Welcome baby Shyanne !!
#26 of 78 Old 05-17-2004, 12:37 PM

OK, here's the story of Garrett Bryan's arrival on Saturday - two weeks ahead of schedule..

I started losing my plug on Friday afternoon. My water broke Saturday afternoon sometime after 4 - it was gushing out periodically. No contractions yet so I put a diaper on and started thinking about hospital preparations and called back up child care. (My mom was supposed to take care of them but nobody figured on this early of an arrival.) Around 6:30 I decided that contractions had started but they were very irregular in timing and intensity, so I kept taking my time. About 7:30 I decided that I was starting to feel serious and although contractions didn't have a completely set pattern they were definitely getting stronger and more frequent so I told dh we better step up the pace. We finally got out the door around 8:45 and started the drive to the hospital.

About the time we hit the freeway I had a thought of, "I don't think I can do this." followed quickly by "OH! That means I'm in transition!". So for the next 20 minutes I had serious contraction on top of serious contraction - they never completely went away. I even had one pushing contraction about 5 minutes from the hospital but I really tried to push gently. We pulled up to the ER entrance and dh asked if I wanted to walk or use a wheelchair. Well, I'd had a little break from contractions so I thought I'd walk - WRONG!!! As soon as I was standing up I was pushing! He kept telling me not to push and I said then I better lay down right here 'cause I can't stand up and not push. Luckily my sister was there and found a security guard with a wheelchair - nobody was at the ER desk. I ended up not laying down in the parking lot but survived until I got on the wheelchair. The gal was at the ER desk when I was wheeled in and tried to stop us when she found out I hadn't pre-registered, I don't know if dh said anything to her or not but we headed on to L&D. A nurse and dh helped me get stripped down, I immediately got on my left side and told her I was going to push. The nurses were really cool and said to do what my body told me to do. They tried to put a monitor around me but I don't know that they ever got any tones. They called my dr and told him I was complete. He wasn't at the hospital but must have been really close by because it was 11 minutes from the time I got to L&D until ds was born and somehow he got there in time to catch him. I really tried to control the pushing and I have an intact perineum that really feels like normal already. (I didn't tear with dd either, but the nurses stretched me for quite a while and I felt very abused down there for several days after.)

So there's the story of my non-medicated, non-intervention VBAC. This was by far my most intense labor and the pushing stage was much stronger and shorter than it was for my first VBAC. About the only thing that happened that I didn't really want to was clamping the cord before it was done pulsing but I hadn't talked to doc or dh about it before and I was in too far gone mentally to mention it during delivery, so I can't blame them.

We got a few comments about the delivery from nurses and about our no eye-drops, vit K, or vaccination request. But everybody was very respectful about it. I think that I can tell that Garrett is a little bit young, he doesn't seem to be quite the champion feeder that his siblings were, but he is doing OK in that department.

So, who's next?
#27 of 78 Old 05-17-2004, 01:58 PM

WOW,

kids'ncows, now _that's_ an exciting birth story! Maybe a little more excitement than you planned on. You'll have fun tellin' that one to Garrett as he gets older.

11 minutes in L&D- ya practically had a home birth.

glad you're feeling well
#28 of 78 Old 05-17-2004, 02:00 PM

Welcome baby Garrett!!!!!!!

And warm hugs to you, strong mama kidsncows!!!!!!!!! What an awesome VBAC story!!!!!!!!!

warmly,
claudia
#29 of 78 Old 05-17-2004, 03:00 PM

Wow. WHAT an exciting story!!
Congratulations, kidsncows, and welcome, Garrett!
That is such a story to pass down to the little guy. Whoo.
One by one...arg! I want to be next!! :LOL

-Renae
#30 of 78 Old 05-17-2004, 06:03 PM

Woo hoo, Kids'ncows! Welcome Garrett! What an amazing and inspiring story!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page