March 27-April 3 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 111 Old 04-01-2004, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What about posture can make a baby choose a bad position? I've read that one shouldn't recline, but sorry, I can't spend my whole pregnancy sitting up in a straight-backed chair!

I don't think I do anything different with my posture than with bbay #1, although this time I'm walking more. #1 was posterior and I hear that can come from being too sedentary. So we'll see...

I thought I was getting better today but although the sore throat is gone, I still have this horrible pressure in my head! I forgot how long it takes me to get over illnesses when I'm pg.
#92 of 111 Old 04-01-2004, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Regarding posture and baby positioning, its ideal to sit with your knees lower than your hips as often as possible. This opens up the pelvis, so the baby positions itself correctly. I sit on a birthing ball when I'm at the computer, or occasionally on my ergonomic kneeling-chair-thingy. Some positions that put your knees higher than your hips (and thus close up your pelvis) are: sitting on the couch or in a car. Mothers who walk a lot during pregnancy have lower rates of breach or posterior babies, according to what I've read.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#93 of 111 Old 04-02-2004, 11:40 AM

Spinning Babies has some interesting information about posture and positioning.
#94 of 111 Old 04-02-2004, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Great link. Thanks!

I caused quite a scene carrying my yoga ball into work this morning...but ahhhh...it feels SO much better than my chair!

~Erin
#95 of 111 Old 04-02-2004, 12:51 PM

I've had it on my list to check out that spinning babies site too. I don't have a birth ball but I just swapped out my desk chair in favor of a kitchen chair that I'm straddling.

Ryanna, hope you aren't having any more contractions/pre-term symptoms.

I'm so GLAD it's Friday. I'm TIRED. Anybody else starting to feel really tired all the time again? I can't figure out if it's because I've had a super busy week or if it's because it's just that time of pregnancy again. Hoping it isn't the latter.

DD is at her grandma's for a couple of hours today. We've had so many playdates etc this week that I'm going to have to spend today and tomorrow catching up with work. One more week and DH has spring break. I'm looking forward to that.

Happy Friday.
#96 of 111 Old 04-02-2004, 04:40 PM

My horrible neighbors woke me up at 1:00 AM with some kind of loud thumping bass music, and then I started having horrible heartburn, so I never got back to sleep until 8:30! I tried my first Tums, violating my "don't eat anything that tastes bad" rule, and even that didn't help. It's almost noon and I'm still feeling it a little. I had it with dd, but it only lasted a few minutes. Ouch!

Yesterday I got a notice from Medicaid saying they were not going to pay for the homebirth after all...they were switching me to a plan that covers hospital births only. I called them up and got them to switch me back. I don't know why they would want to do something that is more expensive for themselves.

Dh went out after I woke up and got some donuts to cheer me up. It worked for a little bit, but then dd ate one and immediately started throwing up. Poor kid! We felt bad. After I woke up I didn't feel that great either, but then dh made me an egg and I felt better.

Yesterday our kitchen floor was completely covered in dead ants. It turns out our neighbors were spraying, and the ants were running to our place to escape the poison, and then just dropped dead. So dh is caulking where they came in. It was quite a shock to see them. We had no idea where they came from at first, or why they were all dead. He swept them up and it was so gross!
#97 of 111 Old 04-02-2004, 08:17 PM

My cervix is very long and very thick! So I guess it was just stress, and maybe the fact that I'm not eating very much. (I think the baby is hungry, even though I'm not... : ) I had lots of contractions last night, too, and they totally exhausted me, but I guess it just means I need to eat more. This goes against my entire food philosophy, which is basically to eat only when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I hate eating when I'm not hungry, because it makes me feel funny and exacerbates my heartburn something awful .

Speaking of which, Greaseball, you must have the nastiest neighbors ever! Ick! Loud music and dead ants.. fabulous combo. :

Oh, and I've gained (I think) 2 pounds since my last appt (a month ago). That's much better than I did with EliBean, so I'm pretty cool with it. My arms and legs are still skinnier than they were, all the weight is in da ! :LOL

I took the GTT today. I actually got a really bad headache this time. I think it was the weather, though. I always get headaches when it rains/is about to rain. It's from the low pressure. :LOL I really want a massage tonight; perhaps I can get Mike to beat me.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#98 of 111 Old 04-02-2004, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

YAY!! So glad to hear your good news!!
#99 of 111 Old 04-02-2004, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Woot!

I had my first "it's none of your damned business what I eat or drink" experience today. I ordered a latte at Starbucks. The lady behind the counter said "Decaf, right?" I glared at her until she crumbled into a small pile of shame. Then I let her off the hook with a fairly friendly lecture on how different women make different choices about what to give up, and I had chosen to give up booze and peanuts.
#100 of 111 Old 04-02-2004, 09:52 PM

Yeah Eilonwy!

Smithie:LOL

I was sick all day today. MY stomcah is way off and I've been light headed. I kept telling myself it would just go away but it didn't so I made dh come home. I don't think I could have taken my oldest to preschool and done all the things I needed to do today. My kids watched more tv this morning then they have in a long time.

Id' been hoping for a nice relaxing afternoon where I could just sleep and take it easy but I really didn't need to feel like crap on the day it happened. And today was one of the worst possible days for me to not feel good. I am trying to tell myself that it was the baby's was to slow me down even if it was only for the day.

Have a great one!
#101 of 111 Old 04-03-2004, 12:53 AM
Banned

Yeah Rynna!!! I am so relieved to hear that.

Greaseball-It's good to hear that Medicaid will switch you back. How stupid!

Lilzark-Don't worry about being a downer-we all have our days No one here is thinking that about you

Smithie-Very nice retort. A little caffeine here and there is not going to hurt anyone. And it really isn't others' place to assume anything about you.

Arg. I have rearranged our house somewhat. The living room is so filled with toys everywhere from the last couple days that you can't even walk in it. I just picked it up and I can see that ds has now dumped out all the buckets from his toy box thing and once again it is impassible. He has also dumped out both toy tool boxes as well as other little containers I use to organize his stuff, I hate it when he comes right behind me and undoes everything I do. I only have so much energy to devote to cleaning, yk? And I already pulled all my favors with my bro today (bathroom and trash, not to mention helping me move a bookshelf which means he moved it and I watched since I am on strict no heavy lifting orders from my chiro) He has definitely been super helpful

We got our new dresser and I was putting all of the baby things in the old one and I discovered that there were no socks and only one hat. I remember pulling all the socks out of the box when I went through all of the nb stuff. So I have been racking my brain for the past couple days-did I give them all to goodwill? did I send them off to the pregnancy crisis center? did I consign them? Finally, after feeling like a total goon and being resigned to buying some, I remembered that I put them in a basket on top of our bookshelf until the dresser came. It was a very "duh" moment.

Hey, oldnavy.com is having a good sale on tank tops right now-2 for $10. I'm not all that fond of the colors, but I love only paying $5 for a shirt!

Well, I am taking some deep breaths so I don't throttle my son as soon as I get up from here. Not to mention I just reorganized all his toys. It is so anal, I know, and pointless, but if I don't do it, then all of the sudden the toys don't fit in the buckets anymore and when I go through it I find puzzle pieces to puzzles we don't have anymore, broken utensils he played with one day while someone was cooking, etc. The guys don't toss the trash stuff when they clean up, they just shove everything in the buckets. :

My reflux is really bad too. Almost all the time. It is actually a pretty rare day that I don't have it at least 70% of the time. I was hoping that it was my horrid diet with Tain that made it so bad last time, but no, it is just as bad this time too. I don't really like taking tons of tums, but sometimes it is so bad, I need something in order to function. I try to put up with it as long as possible. It is truly aweful at night and if dh or ds wake me, I can't get back to sleep. So I down the tums. Also, water really makes it bad. Which sucks, b/c I find that I am thirsty a lot and subconsciously avoid drinking water b/c I know it will hurt. Stupid sphincter!

Well, I am officially getting fat thighs. Very disappointing. We don't have a full length mirror so I didn't notice until trying on undies at VS a few wks ago. Man, once you get that fat for the first time, it sure is easy for it to come back. Now that spring is here, though, I have more energy and the weather is nice enough to take walks, so hopefully I can stem off the worst of the ballooning. And bfing will do the rest. But I am disappointed in myself. It is totally the amount of bad stuff I have been eating for the past, like, 2 months. I wish sweet stuff wasn't so tasty...

how come it's always the times that I think I don't have anything to say that I write a novel?
#102 of 111 Old 04-03-2004, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
julie-
i do that too! i organize all the boy's toys into separate baskets and thier room is even arranged in centers! and thier favorite activity is not playing creativly in the centers (like all my child dev classes told me they would : ), but dumping out baskets off toys all over the floor....
drives me nuts!

greasball- i would be worried about all the poisin those runaway ants brought into my house! yucky nieghbors...

Rynna-
yeah!! i am very glad you are not dialting. heres some to get your baby to 8 pounds!!!!

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#103 of 111 Old 04-03-2004, 03:35 PM

Well, I lost 4 lbs last week because of being sick...funny thing is, when I'm not pg I don't lose weight like that!
#104 of 111 Old 04-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Banned

It snowed last night. What the heck?!
#105 of 111 Old 04-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Banned

Slow goings on Saturdays. So, I keep offering my sewing services to mamas. I think I just like the idea of a project with praise at the end. Or the gratification of helping someone out. I don't know. It's not like I don't have projects of my own to do, they just aren't as fun. I know when I tell dh that I offered to sew something else for a mama, he's going to get that look. But honestly, I put myself in that person's shoes. I'd rather have something made by someone I had contact with than buy something from WalMart. I'd rather have a solution that I can't provide myself than go without b/c I can't afford to pay a professional for what I need. And I don't do a whole lot with my days, so it's not like it really inconveniences me or something. I don't mind not getting paid for my work, as long as I don't end up paying for anything out of pocket, it's all good. Am I a total weirdo? Does anyone need anything?
#106 of 111 Old 04-03-2004, 11:35 PM

Here's what I need!

One of these puppets!

I've always wanted one, but they cost $200-$400, so I thought maybe I could learn to make them.
#107 of 111 Old 04-03-2004, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Julie, if you wanted to take on something as big as a crib set (quilt, dust ruffle, curtains, diaper stacker) using a bolt of gorgeous-but-going-to-waste Waverly that I'd mail to you, I'd be thrilled to pay you for your time and effort, plus you could keep the extra fabric. Being a total sewing moron, I'd want you to pick out the right pattern and whatever notions were necessary and just add them to your bill. PM me if you're interested...

In other news, dh and I dropped off our last remaining foster hound at her new home <sob>, then hit some baby stores. We didn't buy anything except a Baby on Board sign, but we picked out several things for the registry and our commitment to finding a used crib was strengthened. Cribs are a freaking ripoff.
#108 of 111 Old 04-04-2004, 01:32 PM

Hi ladies!
I popped into one of the last June threads before we left for a vacation and have been reading this one a bit.
Just wanted to wave hello and give {{HUggSS}} to Smithie on seeing her foster go, but congrats for finding a placement!

Lucky Mommy to 1 awesome 5 yr old son , 1 strong minded 19 month old baby girl ::, and 1 beloved angel baby
#109 of 111 Old 04-04-2004, 07:25 PM

I don't think I need anything right now, Julie.. but I do know someone who needs a sling! She's not due until December, so there's plenty of time. I'll definately pm you.. I've got lots of fabric around, but I'm afraid of my sewing machine (an absolutely wonderful Pfaff in excellent condition.. but it scares me! ) and I'm uncoordinated anyway. Like, how do I make sure that Eli isn't getting into the fabric I haven't started working on yet? :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#110 of 111 Old 04-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Banned

Sewing with a toddler around is an exercise in patience. I am a very organized, anal retentive person, but my sewing stuff is a disaster! I let him play with the knobs on my machine, he unravels the spools on my serger, he knows where the bobbin goes, so he is always taking that out. My sewing desk has drawers without knobs and he just learned how to open them. So now he gets into my bobbins and unravels them all. I have a little mini drawer set on the desk where I keep the things I need close while I am sewing like chalk, replacement needles, straight pins. Yeah, that thing is a complete mess. I have no idea where most of the stuff has gone and definitely no idea which drawer stuff is in any more.

The rest of my supplies are in inaccessible places so at least all the zippers, buttons, ribbon, etc are in a place he can't access and my fabric is in opaque plastic totes (actually plastic file boxes from Office Depot-2 for $9!) so he doesn't really get into that. He does like to tip over the trash can, though.

He knows not to turn things on and what things are off-limits (like scissors) so I just sort of let him do whatever. It buys me time when I am on-line (my sewing stuff and computer are in the same room) and he has really developed an interest in what I do, which I think is pretty cool.

Rynna-I found starting stuff to be pretty scary too. I started by doing things that didn't require a whole lot of skill and very few complicated stitches. Lap quilts are great starter projects b/c they aren't so big you get discouraged or have trouble sewing on them and they use a simple straight stitch-you don't even have to backstitch! The cutting is monotonous, though.

Well, I should get cracking. Wanting to do projects for others has made me feel the need to get my own done!

I have a mw appt on Tues. After this one, we go to every other week. Seems too soon...
#111 of 111 Old 04-04-2004, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Started a new thread for the week!

June 4-10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page