June Mamas May 2-May 8 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 125 Old 05-04-2004, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Figured out in the middle of the night last night that my irritability, tiredness and insomnia were probably iron-related. I take an iron pill and voila! all better. Except for the restless leg thing, though my mw says to eat a banana a day and it should go away. Made me feel like a dork for forgetting that considering this is not the first time this pregnancy I have had an iron issue. Other than that, I am good. Mw appt was short since Tain is irritable. Hoping to get Rowan's quilt finished today, then I think I am done with baby stuff. Weird to think I still have so far to go...

My mom's birthday is the 21st so if baby comes that early, I am sure she would be thrilled, though I hope he doesn't since all my labor help flies in on the 24th.

I get pains low in my pelvis too and baby has been vertex since 28 wks.

Smithie-so glad you like it!!! And that it got there safely...thanks for letting me know.

As far as starting labor goes, I wasn't sure when it started either. I just had Matt start timing them for me and when they don't go away if you walk/lie down/eat/sleep, etc and they get closer together, that is the best sign you have. To be honest, I started at 3 cm with no ctx whatsoever with Tain and when I went into labor, I didn't believe it was really happening until my water broke. It just seemed so similar to false labor I didn't want to get too excited in case it stopped. So I guess the general consensus is that you are never really sure when it starts until it gets heavy.

Well, I can smell Tain from the other room so I guess I need to go change some pants!

Have a great day!
#62 of 125 Old 05-04-2004, 06:07 PM

I love the belly pics! So cute! I keep forgetting to have dh take some pictures. Everytime I think about it, it is either when he is at work or it's the middle of the night and somehow I don't think he'd be too happy if I woke him up at 3 am to take a belly shot!

Erin- Our dogs could be twins!
#63 of 125 Old 05-04-2004, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The only thing better than a belly pic is a belly pic with a dog in it!

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=ziabfct...d&x=0&y=6topsq
#64 of 125 Old 05-04-2004, 07:22 PM

Oh, and I enjoyed looking at all the cute stuff on Erin's registry so much, I am going to give the rest of you the same pleasure.

http://www.felicite.com/X/?lydiacurrie
#65 of 125 Old 05-04-2004, 11:02 PM

Great belly pics!

Well, DD had an amazing recovery. She threw up from 7-10, slept on the floor in the living room from 10-12, ate like a maniac from 12-1 and then went about her day as usual with just a tad more clingyness than usual. Jefe, the dog, was her constant companion while she was sick. At first I thought, "oh, that's so sweet" when I saw him laying beside her on the floor. Then I realized he was just waiting for the next chance to help "clean up" more puke. He is so gross. For you first time Mom's with dogs...if yours are anything like mine, they will SO LOVE to get hold of poopy diapers. I am so past the letting him give me kisses stage.

Anyway, now I'm back on the computer to try to get some work done. DH did the whole bed time routine tonight so that I could lay on the couch for an hour. The house is reasonably decent considering all the extra laundry we had to do thanks to the stomach bug. And now ... work ... yucko. I'm really getting tired of work. But I've got to stick it out for a few more weeks.

I was just realizing tonight that according to my ultrasounds, my due date is really the 2nd (but I've been thinking the 9th). So I made a short list (stocking freezer, packing DD's overnight bag, preping downstairs bedroom, etc) of stuff I absolutely have to finish before D day and am going to try to tackle it the remainder of this week and next. Because after that, it could be any day! I just can't believe it. But at the same time, I really am becoming so miserable that it seems like no matter how exhausted and overworked I am post-baby, it's got to be easier than this. I know I'm kidding myself but I'm getting to that point anyway. If I can manage it, tomorrow I'm heading to the store to get the cheapest cell phones I can find and I'm double checking my homebirth kit to make sure I have everything.

Just can't believe we are this close! Well, enough procrastinating. Hope everyone manages a good nights sleep.
#66 of 125 Old 05-04-2004, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedling
It seriously HURT to being lying down. I got up, took a shower, and while it felt better being upright, I was still having contractions. I went back to bed thinking I was probably in labor but thinking I needed to sleep. And it hurt too much to lie down. So I woke up DH and got into an upright position. So in my experience, if it hurts to lie down, there's a good chance you are in labor. Take a shower and see if it goes away...if not, start timing.
This is exactly how it happened for me! I couldn't be sitting or lying down during a contraction, it was excruciating. I showered and also went to the grocery store, because my childbirth teacher said if it was prodromal labor it would likely stop if you went out in public.
#67 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 12:56 AM

So, you know how scared I was to go to interview Pediatricians?? Well, it was for good reason. I met with this one Ped today and towards the end of our interview he asked me what happened to Emma. I told him exactly what happened. I didn't give my standard SIDS answer. I was very honest. He responds with, "Looks like you learned your lesson the hard way". WTF?!?!?!?!?! I was so shocked that I couldn't speak. He then made some comment about how I wouldn't do that with my other children, leave them on the bed. He told me how he and his wife were so careful to put nothing in the crib with their daughter. He acted as if it were my fault that Emma died!!!! That because she was on the bed with her blanket/pillow barracade, it was MY fault that she died!!!! I was livid when we left. The longer we were there the angrier I got. I feel guilty enough about her death, I know it isn't my fault, but who can I blame?? I didn't need this from this asshole doctor. I hope that the other doc we meet with on Thursday is better than this one. Otherwise, I'm going back to Kansas.
Oh, and he was telling me how co-sleeping is so bad and more babies die of SIDS when parents co-sleep. That is NOT true. Most the time when babies die when co-sleeping is if the parents are either obese, drunk or on drugs. I just don't want to deal with ignorant people. ARGH!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#68 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Anyone else have this restless legs thing? It is making me crazy! I am so tired right now and I can't sleep b/c my legs are all jittery. I feel like running a mile (though I'd be lucky to run 100 yds right now LOL) but I am the only one home with sleeping ds so even taking a walk is out of the question. This sucks!
#69 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 07:54 AM

Quote:
"That's a hard way to learn that lesson".

Oh Kim...I am SO sorry that you had to experience such ignorance. What an @sshole.

What is wrong with people?
#70 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 09:18 AM

Kim- I'm so sorry that doctor was such and insensitive JERK! GReat big to you. At least though you know now that he is a complete @#$% and you didn't have to figure it out in the middle of a sick visit!
#71 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedling
Great belly pics!

She threw up from 7-10, slept on the For you first time Mom's with dogs...if yours are anything like mine, they will SO LOVE to get hold of poopy diapers. I am so past the letting him give me kisses stage.
Glad your dd is feeling better. The whole dog thing completly groses me out! My dogs will sniff out a poopy diaper in the diaper bag and will find a way to get the bag open and w/out damaging the diaper eat the poop. They also rush to the scene of any throw up. They are gross
#72 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 10:18 AM

Kim, keep looking! There's a perfect doctor out there for you... Have you thought about maybe just giving the next doctor you see your old pediatrician's name and number and tell him/her that they can call your old ped if they would like the details, but that you would rather not discuss it?

My sleep schedule is all screwed up. I wake up sooo early now! I woke up at 4:30 this morning. The baby had hiccups and was very hyper and I couldn't fall back asleep. I got up and watched the early news and managed to doze off, but woke up again later with a big surge. The Hypnobabies program seems to be working wonderfully, though, because before I even fully woke up I conciously relaxed my entire body during the surge so it wouldn't hurt. I've only had a couple minor surges since then, though.

I'm so relieved - I called the Labor and Delivery ward last night to ask if they have birthing balls available there and they do! There's no way the big ball would fit in the backseat along with the infant seat and my sister and my m-i-l when we need to head to the hospital and I so didn't want to fool with having to re-inflate it. I've actually avoided sitting on it since the PTL started, but maybe I'll pull it out again now that I've made it to 36 weeks.

My mom told me about my birth again last night, and went into more detail than she had before - its a really cool story: She woke up with intense contractions and had a dr's appt already scheduled for that morning. When she went in, he checked her and sent her over to be admitted to L&D. They had her walk the halls ALL DAY LONG to try to get things moving faster, but by that night she still hadn't progressed. The dr checked her and then told her that if she didn't make significant progress within the next hour, they would do a c-section - she thinks she remembers that she was only at 2-3cm. She and my dad prayed about it and waited (she really wanted a vaginal birth), and when he came back in an hour she was complete and ready to deliver! I was born about 9:40 that night.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#73 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 10:48 AM

Kim, what a freaking jerk! I'm sure you'll find the right dr. soon. Maybe you could contact your local LLL leader and ask if they know anyone?

As for gross dogs, I've got one of those myself! She loves to try to get a poopy diaper and clean up if dd gets sick. What a sicko. Our opinion of her is forever changed! :LOL Our other dog doesn't much care for that type of thing. She's a paper dog. She hunts down tissues and paper towels to eat!
#74 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 11:22 AM

Kim, I'd be really upset by that too. I just can't believe someone would SAY that. When I read your story all I could think was "wow, this could have been and could so easily be me". All my friends and I do the EXACT same sleeping/napping arrangement with our babies. It really was freak accident and for that doctor to try to say otherwise is just really, really wrong.

On a much lighter note, my dog is not only a poop, throw up dog, he is also a paper dog. Nothing delights him more than cold season ... he loves to raid the trash cans for kleenex. He is truly a gross animal.
#75 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kim, sorry that doctor felt he had the right to be a jerk. I hope that causes him to lose business. Tell everyone!

OK, all your dogs are gross. They are probably the grossest of all animals. Our chickens are unclean and will even poop in their food dishes, but at least they eat around it!

I don't have restless legs, but they seem to itch every night. And it's only at night and not during my afternoon naps, so it couldn't be the sheets. :

I'm all nervous because when my midwife dropped off the bag of birth supplies, there was an iodine pad inside. I hope they are not thinking of painting the genital area with it! I thought they quit doing that in the 1940s! I don't want to be treated like I'm a dirty person; if I wanted that I would go to the hospital! But I have an appt today and I will ask her what it is for.
#76 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I don't want to be treated like I'm a dirty person;
Grease, I am so with you on that! I hate when I'm watching one of those stupid birth shows on tv and the mom is completely draped and the dr. is wearing a strange mask and scrubs. That is really weird to me. At the hospital birth center where dd was born there were no sterile drapes, my mw was wearing jeans, t-shirt, and latex gloves. Dh caught dd with (gasp!) his bare hands and placed her onto my bare skin. Why would they need to put the baby on top of sterile drapes on the mom? I mean, she's the MOM for crying out loud!
I would be asking about the iodine pad too, but I'm sure your mw isn't planning on using it to do anything absurd like wipe you down with it. It's probably just one of those things that's thrown in there.
#77 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 12:48 PM

Even in the hospital, when I was GBS+ and had a forceps delivery with stitches, they did not use iodine.

Weird how people think the baby must be protected from the "germy" mother, as if there are no germs inside the mother!

Also, they handed dd to dh soon after she was born (I forget who got her first?) and they didn't make him wear a mask or scrubs. The doctor wore scrubs, mask, eye shields, hair net, etc. but that didn't bother me.
#78 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 01:05 PM

Kim, that doctor needs a big ol' kick in the heiney. Or maybe we should make him eat a poopy diaper.

I am actually very excited to hear that the dogs will come running to clena up the baby puke. Since they eat their own puke, I guess I shouldn;t be surprised. It's much easier to clean the carpet when the dogs have done a prerinse!

I'm going to Babyrobics today, after skipping two weeks in a row. Maybe this baby will decide it's time to come out, hah. He his really starting to hurt me with his rib-and-bladder gymnastics routine.

In other news, we got the nursery painted! I'm going to let it air out for a few days while I clean all the crap out of the closet, then we'll start setting up.
#79 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie
I am actually very excited to hear that the dogs will come running to clena up the baby puke. Since they eat their own puke, I guess I shouldn;t be surprised. It's much easier to clean the carpet when the dogs have done a prerinse!

Okay, you guys are seriously grossing me out. I'm so glad I have a cat.
#80 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 01:34 PM

Kim- A pox on that doctor! How horrible!! I had so much anxiety interviewing pediatricians before DS was born. I didn't find one I liked till DS was probably about 5-6 months old. I had one dr tell me I wouldn't be able to breastfeed and work outside the home and literally give me a 30 minute lecture on why it was terrible not to vaccinate. The way I finally found the one we love was through a friend at LLL.

I don't have a dog, although I grew up with them. Isn't their desire to eat that "stuff" part of their protective instinct? Like in the wild they ate it to keep predators off their trail?
#81 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 02:46 PM

Kim-- I am so sorry the doctor said that -- it is awful.

When interviewing peds for our first 2, I had been planning on nursing since our son was only 4 months old when we started the process (he came home at 22 months old). One ped said that she doesn't even recommend that "real" parents (her word) nurse past 4 months, so she certainly wouldn't recommend it for me. She also went on and on about how internationally adopted kids do really well adjusting "except those black kids. Those black kids are always behind." That is an exact quote.

Went to Ob today. Growth spurt. Though I have gained only 1 lb. these past 2 weeks, belly grew 4.5 cm. -- no wonder I was hurting so much!!!!

Peace,
#82 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 03:17 PM

I don't get these doctors who want our business and then think they can be rude to us. If I wanted, say, a maid, and she was rude to me and blamed me for things and criticized my parenting, I would hire someone else!

I think peds should stick to childrens' health and not think they should have a say in parenting choices. I had a WIC lady tell me that nursing at night was a "bad habit." What does she know; she's a nutritionist! And obviously not a very good one. My parenting decisions shouldn't mean anything to her.

I had my appt today and they assured me, the iodine was to clean their own hands and any equipment they might use! They also tried this thing to get the OP baby to turn, where they wrapped me in a sheet and shook me around. It was fun, but the baby just did a complete 360 turn and went back to where it was! Still, I wish someone could have seen it. Definitely not one's idea of a prenatal appointment!
#83 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 03:38 PM

Thank you all for your support and ideas of how to get this stupid doc!! I like a pox on him, thanks curlygirl! I am going to write him a letter and let him know that his actions and words are NOT acceptable. I will also find all the information I can about co-sleeping and it's saftey and include that. My old Ped said that she would be more than happy to talk to whoever we choose to be our Ped here, but I don't want to waste her time with that stupid doc. Know what I mean? I am praying that tomorrow when I go meet with this other doc, he will be lots better.
I have to agree, all this dog talk is making me ill...but I'm not surprised. Jeremy's folks have a cat who will cough up hair balls all over the place, then the dog will eat them. GROSS!!! :Puke
Well, I went to the midwife this morning, and...drumroll please....baby is HEAD DOWN still!!! I was thinking that s/he turned breech because of some vicious kicks and things I was getting on my cervix. But, baby is head down!!! My urine looked great, no sugar, my blood pressure was wonderful and I haven't gained any weight. That last part is FINE WITH ME!! I've already gained 30 lbs, so this is just great. I am measuring 41 weeks though. She did a vaginal exam (to be 100% sure that it was a head she was feeling) and said that she isn't surprised now that I am measuring so far ahead...baby is WAY high up there. Now that I know that s/he is head down, baby can drop anytime! That will make my breathing and heartburn LOTS better!!! But, I'm not counting on it anytime soon!!! Anyway, all is good in pregnancy land!!!!!
On another note...my poor sweet hubby...he's sick. Jeremy lived in Ecuador for 2 years, and hasn't been sick other than a cold since he's been back in the States. Well, after bragging about how he hasn't thrown up in 4 years and how he has an iron stomach (blah, blah, blah) karma caught up with him and he is sick!! I feel bad for him, but it is a little humerous. I think it's something he ate though...he doesnt have a fever. It's probably chicken he didn't cook enough. I keep telling him that he doesn't cook it enough...I put mine in the microwave to cook it more when he grills it. He's sick and I'm not. Poor baby!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#84 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 05:37 PM

WOW! The reality just really hit me that soon I will have this baby. LOL! I just recieved a preadmission phone call from the hospital where I will be birthing to go over all the preadmission stuff. I have less then 7 weeks until my guess date and it still seems so far away and I'm really enjoying my pregnancy so I guess it kind of surprises me that I will soon be a mommy of 3!

The sad thing is I remember being 7 weeks pregnant and thinking June was REALLY far away and now it's lurking right around the corner!
#85 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 09:35 PM

Kim, .

I felt super crappy yesterday, and I know that it's because I'm anemic but there's really nothing I can do about it. I can't afford Floradix and iron tablets make me so constipated I can't think straight. I'm already constipated, God knows I don't need help there! : (T: How do we get the old "rolleyes" smiley back? I don't like the new one at all! )

A coworker of Mike's had a yard sale last weekend and brought all the stuff he didn't sell to work for people to take for free. I went through all the kids clothing and ended up with two big boxes full of stuff! None of it was small enough for Eli, to say nothing of NewBean, but a lot of it will fit my nephew and is going to him on Saturday. It is definately to my advantage to choose clothing for him as I'm going to be seeing all of it again in a year or two. :LOL Anyway, Mike's coworker has a girl and a boy, both of whom are skinny, so he had lots of little girl's slim stuff, sizes 4-6X. One of my nieces is also a slim, but she needs an 8 for the length. The other is a 6X/7 and there's nothing slim about her. :LOL She's a tank! Still, I took all the nice jeans; some of them are unisex and will fit my nephew and Eli later, and the others were just too cute to pass up! I'll find something to do with them, even if it turns out that NewBean is not a skinny-mini like her brother is.

So I had fun and got a lot of clothing, but still nothing girly for NewBean. There must be something I'm forgetting to do, karma-wise...

Eli is very tired right now, but he's playing with his favorite truck (the one he's named "Chevrolet") and he will not give it up. I have a feeling that if I went to the bedroom to lie down, Eli would come flying in and just pass out. He had a very long day today! We went to a LLL meeting this morning, where he got overstimulated and was in quite a hurry to leave as soon as I stood up.. He went running for the door, "Open, open! I go!" and as soon as we were in the hallway he was totally zen. We got into the car and his relief was palpable.. all those toddlers were just too much for him! He did very well through the meeting (except when he fell and cut his lip open and when a woman who'd left her infant in his carseat on the floor yelled at him "DON'T TOUCH THE BABY!!!" as he got close to the kid) but he was very obviously pleased to leave. I just think it's fabulous that he can let me know things like that, kwim? I'm fascinated by the way he (and all babies) communicate.

Even though my belly is definately smaller than it was carrying Eli (I can still button all the buttons on my overalls!) I have definately entered the 'beach ball smuggling' phase. :LOL My mother thinks that my belly only looks smaller because *I* am smaller, but she's mistaken; I'm actually not that much smaller than I was. The belly, however.. well, I think it's because she likes to sit transverse. When should I get worried about that? I don't think a transverse baby can deliver vaginally... I also will have to remember to ask my doctor if he will deliver a vaginal breech. My MIL was absolutely shocked when I told her that most won't; her first delvery (SIL) was breech and she said "Enough people should have learned watching me. All I heard the whole time was 'Come in here, you gotta see this!' There must have been a dozen people in there!" It really surprised her to hear that these days, a midwife is more likely to deliver a vaginal breech than a doctor is.

Awww!! Eli just walked into the bedroom and came back out again. I said "It's all right, you can go lie down if you like." He looked up at me and said "nap". I said "You need a nap?" and he said "Please. And nursie nursies." How can I say no to that?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#86 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 09:42 PM

Rynna, you might try alfafa tablets (pretty affordable at WellSpring). They actually counteract the constipating effect of the iron tablets. Or you could try nettle tea. You could probably get dried nettles at WellSpring too...I got mine from my midwife. Anyway, I think both perk up your iron levels.

Well, DD down early b/c no nap but I've got a disaster zone in the house and another day that I came up short with work time. Uggh.
#87 of 125 Old 05-05-2004, 09:50 PM

Greaseball- Your midwives were using your sheet as a rebozo (a Mexican shawl), iin a traditional Mexican technique for baby turning. There are several ways to do it, all of them for different reasons. I wouldnt worry about an OP baby right now though, you've got plenty of time.

Kim- That Dr is a real A$$. Sorry you had to go through that.

On the same note, we are officially looking for a new ped too. The ped that my first two are seen with just has too many damn patients. We've just gotten back health ins, and so I wanted both of them in for a well-child check, since kimber didnt get a 4yr physical and zack will be 2 next mo and hasnt seen her since his 1 yr visit. The first available appt to fit them both in at the same time~~ mid SEPTEMBER!! Im like, are you nuts? Thats 5 months from now, Im going to have three kids to fit in by then!! We can do individual appts, they said, in August... LOL. I scheduled them with an NP in JULY (july??? Thats forever from now, on the other side of the rainbow... Im not making any plans past the middle of june right now, LOL). I hope we'll have found a new ped or family dr by then.

My first home visit was today. My house has not been deep cleaned, my birth kit was just ordered a few days ago, no clean baby clothes ready to go in case... I told the midwife (the back up came today) that I have no plans to do any of it until next week and the week after cause the cleaning will have to be done again and we have to clean out the garage to get to the baby clothes. good thing I go late! Ive put all this off so long that if I went early I'd be in deep doo-doo. (and my dogs are doo-doo eaters too... nasty little mongrels.)
#88 of 125 Old 05-06-2004, 10:15 AM

Well, now that the closing date is set on our house and my m-i-l is here, all activitivy (surge-wise) has seemed to stop. Figures, huh? I was getting myself all prepared to go litterally at any moment, but all of a sudden I feel like it will be weeks... I would be thrilled to have the baby next week, actually, because then I'd have some time to recover before the move!

I'm now back to sitting on my birth ball - I forgot how comfy it is! I love being able to gently bounce and rotate while I'm working at the computer...

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#89 of 125 Old 05-06-2004, 10:35 AM

Wow, am I sore! My entire body feels like I've been beaten up! Must have been the busy day yesterday. I was feeling pretty decent, so I did a lot but now I'm seriously regretting it! Eli seems to have gained a pound or two just over the past week.. or maybe that's my anemia talking.

Speaking of which.. alfalfa tablets?! Like you feed to guinea pigs? I didn't know they were for people, too! I'll send Mike in search of them when he gets home.

Last night, I told Mike to go back and empty the car because there were wet diapers in it, and Eli's carseat needs to be washed. He said he knows he hasn't been doing as much around the house as he said he would, but that he worled really hard today. I said I'd love to be more sympathetic, but that's why I wanted him to help me with all this crap back in the first trimester when I could still bend over, and he totally refused. He's the one who waited until I was a beached whale to get started on the big jobs, not me! I've been trying to do this for the past 8 months! He was annoyed by that, but he shut up in a hurry because I was right. At any rate, he didn't bring the diapers in, so I'm sure the car smelled like cooked pee this morning. Lovely, and entirely his fault. :LOL Maybe he'll actually bring them in tonight. :LOL

I think I'm doing nothing but putting together bracelets today. I'll have to go back to Wally World to see if they got the small envelopes in so I can start mailing. I'm not looking forward to walking around in there. Ick.

Yesterday, it occured to me that I am less than 5 weeks away from where I was when Eli was born. Unbelieveable! 5 weeks seems like nothing at all... but when I was this far along with Eli, I was miserable 24/7 and desperate to get him out ASAP. I was 34 weeks pregnant with Eli for my 25th birthday, and boy did that ever suck. I wanted a baby for my birthday! :LOL I also asked for a foot massage, a bath (I needed Mike's help to get in and out at that point because I had no leverage) and a cake. I got none of those things; Mike came home from work and passed out like someone had hit him. That's no way to behave on your wife's birthday, even if she's not 8.5 months pregnant!! I'm still mad about it, can you tell? :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#90 of 125 Old 05-06-2004, 04:33 PM

The Alfalfa supplement I'm taking is put out by "Nature's Way". 100 Capsules to the bottle and I'm pretty sure they are under $10. I got them from Whole Foods. What I've read about them says that they are high in both calcium and iron and that the two don't interfere with one another as they do in regular (non-whole-food) mineral supplements. They are also high in vitamins C, A, E, and K. They can cause loose poop so you should start out taking them slowly...one the first day, two the next and so on until you are up to two after each meal and two before bed (8 a day!). They are supposed to help postpartum with blood loss & bowel movement but just take them the first day and not again until the fourth or fifth postpartum day b/c they can promote lactation to the point that it makes engorgement worse. Also, they can make newborn jaundice worse. I'm paraphrasing all this from "The Amazing Alfalfa" an article written by Lisa Goldstein, CPM, CNM. I don't have a link to the article, sorry. It's a handout that my midwife gave me. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page