June Mamas May 2-May 8 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2004, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The alfalfa has helped me a lot too, I didn't know that about stopping them after the first day pp, I thought they would help with milk not thinking about making engorgement worse, thanks for that!

I just have trouble *remembering* to take the vitamins/supplements.

The baby has not been moving much the last couple days and I'm worried. My midwife is very laid back about it, she says as long as the baby moves everyday it's okay. Well, of course it's squirming around right now as I'm typing this, LOL!

Yesterday something happened to the manual transmission on our car. I don't know if it's fixable or not. I took the bus to work today and was just miserable, because I had a terrible charlie horse at 4:30am and could barely walk most of the day. But must say that I'm very fortunate to have the option of taking the FREE bus to work in these situations. DH is going out of town with his band next weekend. Thinking about being home alone all weekend with no car makes me want to panic. I was supposed to go stay with my mom but if I can't get there I don't know if she'll come pick me up. Argh.

Tamara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2004, 08:16 PM

*sigh* Well, Eli woke up from his morning nap about an hour and fifteen minutes later than usual with a fever. He's been a limp, sad ball of Babyness all day. Just not his usual cheerful self. He nursed a fair bit, but he kept falling asleep. Mike came home and he woke up & went to daddy, so I finally got a chance to go to the bathroom (I can no longer stand up on my own when I'm holding Eli.. : ) and then I took his temperature. 103.0. Is there anything I can do to get rid of his headache without lowering the fever too much? I couldn't handle seeing him in pain any longer this afternoon, so I gave him the tylenol.. he was just miserable.

I'd also like to know what's bothering him... my guess is that it's his ears. We have small tubes in my family, and while I didn't have them there is a family history of severe, recurrent ear infections. Of course, he smells sick (he has sick breath) which doesn't usually go along with the ear infections. I was thinking that we'd try to avoid antibiotics this time, but the sick breath says to me "bacterial infection" so I'm thinking we might have to take him in. I'm so not looking forward to it... Mike's new insurance is acting weird; apparently they don't cover well baby checks! I'm too pregnant (read: my fuse is way too short) to deal with insurance people right now, so I was hoping to avoid it until the brain fog lifts, but with Eli being sick I'm going to have to do it a heck of a lot sooner. *sigh* Anyway, he can't take the cheap stuff, so he'll be put on zithromax. On the positive side, it's only five days so he always gets all of it. On the negative side, amoxil only costs $6, which is way less than our co-pay; we have to pay the full co-pay for zithromax ($25, last time we needed it). Ick, ick, ICK!

And again, I feel guilty because I don't think he would be sick if he was still getting lots of nursie milk. Every time he gets sick, I feel like it's my fault. Mike said the same thing as soon as he got home, he always feels like he's somehow not being vigilant enough when Eli gets sick, and having to see Eli in pain is punishment for it. I try to tell myself that all kids get sick, that it's part of growing up, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 05-06-2004, 08:53 PM

Rynna- It sucks when our kids are sick. I always feel so darn helpless!! I think the whole sick thing is going around 'cause my little one has this yucky nose thing.

Hope your little one feels better soon!
Old 05-07-2004, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yikes!
my computer is trashed..dammed viruses. i havent been able to get on MDC for 5 days!!! i was seriously aching for some MDC time! now i am on DHs work laptop. i am SO READY for my babe to COME OUT!!!!! i am 37 weeks tomarrow and my midwife said i could start trying EPO and sex and walking to get her out..im in too much pain. everything is ready except my belly cast which i am doing tomarrow and i need to buy some disposable cameras...yikes coming soon...a baby!

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
Old 05-07-2004, 12:55 AM

I have had about the worst day ever... DH and I went to Lowe's and fought about everything. Why get a $140 lawn mower when you could get a $180 one? Why a $600 fridge when you can get an $800? (but a deep freeze is frivolous) Why paint a room in two colors when you could paint it in 4 (including painting the ceiling)? There is no way we can afford maternity leave, a new house, hospital deductables, AND top-of-the-line appliances for everything in the house. He just doesn't grasp this concept, and makes me feel like a stingy mean person for crushing his dreams...

Then I talk to my parents, and they act like I'm a horrible sister because I told my younger sis that she can't drive with the baby in the car. She's been driving for only 9 months and she's had two accidents since February - both of which were completely her fault (hit one parked car and one fire hydrant). How in the world am I being unreasonable??? Not to mention the fact that I have given her my car, which I am still making payments on and paying the insurance for. And, she lives with DH and I because we invited her to so it would be easier for her to afford grad school. Yeah, I'm a horrible sister... (they did apologize and finally admit that I was making a responsible decision - but it would have been way nicer if they had been affirming from the beginning instead of guilting me about it first before finally admitting they would make the same choice)

My m-i-l is visiting, and so my f-i-l calls a lot, of course. But he NEVER asks to speak to me. I find it really insulting. But, I'm still upset at him because he told me 2-3 last week (during the whole PTL fiasco) that it was partially my fault that his daughter checked herself into a mental hospital. Wanna know why? Because I said I didn't want smokers to hold my baby, and she quit smoking. So, according to him, quitting smoking played a big part in upping her stress level to the point of going to the hospital.

Plus, everyone's acting like I'm trying to hurt the baby by being upset. Telling an upset pregnant woman that she needs to calm down for the baby's sake is just a big guilt-trip-gut-punch. Don't they realize that that comment helps ZERO - it just makes me more upset!

I'm also annoyed because DH and m-i-l have watched me walk around the house doing laundry and cleaning the bathrooms for the past hour and didn't even bother to ask if they could help.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:09 AM

QoC, your post really struck a chord with me. I'm sorry you're having such a crappy time dealing with family. Ick! I told one of my sisters I wouldn't let her take Eli for a drive after learning that a)she had driven with my nephew without a carseat when he was 13 months old and b)she didn't know how to fasten the straps properly on Eli's seat, to say nothing of installing it correctly. She was so offended by that, but mom and my other sister told her off. :LOL

My FIL has studiously avoided any mention of this pregnancy. It's really quite amusing, actually. :LOL Of course, he thinks we're all going to burn in hell. It just blows his mind that his only son has strayed so far from the path! :LOL The fact that not only are we excited but that we totally *planned* this pregnancy would probably make his head spin if he thought about it, so mostly he pretends that nothing is going on. It's absolutely hilarious, because MIL, while she wishes things were a bit different, is really quite excited about NewBean and her impending arrival. This will be her second grandchild and her first granddaughter, how could she not be thrilled? :LOL I am almost certain that the only reason FIL hasn't sat the two of us down to talk about our sinful life is that MIL threatens him in that quiet, non-threatening way she has. :LOL It's absolutely incredible to me how much control that woman weilds without raising her voice a single decible.. she doesn't even say hop before he says how high. :LOL

Mike and I fought a lot more last pregnancy than we have this time, mostly because Mike now knows his duties and what he must do. Keep me happy, and it will all be over soon. :LOL The fact that I've made it to 32 weeks feeling so good and with relatively few problems... well, that's just icing on the cake for him. He'll do anything within his power to keep me happy for the next few weeks. Now if only I can teach him to do this during the second trimester next time... :LOL

Old 05-07-2004, 01:41 AM

Well, we found our Pediatrician today!!! We interviewed Dr. Borgenicht, he was SO compassionate and kind. He realizes how difficult this pregnancy is for us and that we will have more questions than most 2nd time parents. He is absolutely great!!!! He couldn't believe what the other doc said, he was pretty upset by that. He has no problem with us doing delayed vaccinations, co-sleeping, and thinks it is great that I love to breastfeed. Oh yeah, and he also said that he will only use antibiotics if they are absolutely necessary. That is great, he's not into overmedicating!!! I am just thrilled and relieved beyond belief! Oh! And the other doc wanted us to bring the baby into the office the day after s/he is born for a checkup. This doc said that as long as the midwife thinks baby is fine, we don't need to come in until baby is 2 weeks old. I love that!!! WHEW! Huge sigh of relief from me!!!

QoC- Huge Sorry your family is being so dumb!

Ryanna- I hope Eli gets feeling better soon. That has to be so hard.

And, I know my pregnant brain is forgetting something else I was going to say, but hey! We all understand that!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
Old 05-07-2004, 11:16 AM

Kim - I'm so happy that you found a doctor!

By the way, were you in the Kansas City area? If so, who was your old pediatrician?

So far, I'm feeling much better today. We're off to do the house inspection, and hopefully that will be a positive experience...

Old 05-07-2004, 11:38 AM

Wow. Sorry that some of you have family that seems to act unreasonable at times. I must be very lucky.

Kim, congrats on finding the right dr. That's awesome. You must feel much more at ease now.

Rynna, I hope Eli is feeling better. Poor little guy! Poor mama too! I can't imagine trying to care for a sick child right now. I already feel like I'm at my wit's end! I can't find the energy or motivation to clean the house or cook dinner. I feel like such a slacker!
Old 05-07-2004, 11:48 AM

Thanks! Eli is feeling much better today. His fever broke in the middle of the night and we woke up with a very sweaty little boy. Must have been a 24 hour bug. He's not in pain, his headache is gone, but he still prefers me (he hasn't asked for Mike and has been fairly clingy this morning) so he's feeling better but not 100%. I still wonder what made him sick.. Ah well. He's fine now, so it's all good! :LOL

I, however, had a horrible night and am not feeling my best. Icky icky ick!! Mike got me a playball two days ago, and sitting on that is really comfortable. It's incredibly sturdy so I don't feel like I'm going to break it. The only problem is that it needs a bit more air than it has, and I don't have a pump for it. I'll have to find out if my mom has one floating around somewhere. That, and I can't hold Eli while I'm sitting on it.. and that's simply unacceptable right now! :LOL

Old 05-07-2004, 12:08 PM

Kim ~ Glad you found a great dr.

I am an emotional/hormonal wreck today. Just saw my MW and she told me that she and her DH are joining the Peace Corp.

I am SO happy for her...this is her life-long dream...but I'm so sad for me. I just her.

She's closing her practice on June 30th so it shouldn't affect me (I'm due June 15 and the practice won't let me go over 42 weeks anyway) but I will have to see her partner at a new office (the big OB/GYN office I left last year ) for post-partum care.

Anyway...I have SO much to do today (my one day off from work) but I don't feel like doing anything. La, la, la...

~Erin
Old 05-07-2004, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
QOC - I know what you mean about being told stress will hurt the baby. That just creates more stress! And it's an excuse for other people not to do things to help us - they can do whatever they want, and we can't get stressed or angry if we care about our baby.

What pregnant woman doesn't feel stressed?!
Old 05-07-2004, 06:16 PM

QoC- Thanks! We were in Lawrence when Emma was born. So, we saw Anne VanGarsse there. We moved to Shawnee when Em was 5 months, but I liked her doc so much I just drove over there. Hope that helps you some!

Old 05-07-2004, 09:04 PM

Well, I don't know if things are starting to move along or not... (On Monday, the midwife said her guess was that I would deliver "in the next 1-2 weeks.") I've been having regular surges since about noon (6 hours), but they haven't gotten too intense, and last time I checked they were 7-8 minutes apart. Since then, though, I took a nap. But now that I'm up and about, they're still coming... I'm certainly not anywhere near needing to go the hospital or even call my family in VA - but this could be the very beginning of things! Tomorrow is my grandfather's birthday, Sunday is mother's day, and Tuesday is my grandmother's birthday - any of those days would make for nice birthdays!

Old 05-07-2004, 09:43 PM

QoC- If this is your time, Happy birthing!! Know that we will all be thinking about you and sending you vibes for an easy comfortable birthing. Now go put on your birth guide cd and take a nice relaxing bath!
Old 05-07-2004, 11:11 PM

QoC- Where are you planning to have the baby? I can't believe you could be going so soon!!!! I'm with 2girlsmommy~go take a bath and relax!!!!

Old 05-08-2004, 12:07 AM

Actually, I've had a lovely afternoon. My surges are still coming regularly, and the intensity is a bit more, but nothing painful. (Just bad menstral cramps.) My m-i-l and I went shopping, I watched a movie and took a nap, we fixed dinner, then we went for a 45-minute walk. Lovely! I'm going to go take a shower with DH and then listen to the birth day affirmations. I figure by tomorrow morning I'll know if this was just more PTL, or if its the actual thing. I'm completely at peace either way...

The baby will be born at a hospital, attended by a CNM. I told them that I plan on laboring at home for as long as possible - and both of the midwives in the practice highly reccomended that. I'll go in to the hospital if either my water breaks or if the surges get closer to 3-4 minutes apart. Last time I timed them (about an hour ago) they were still 5-6 minutes apart.

Old 05-08-2004, 10:23 AM

That doesn't sound like PTL to me! How exciting! I wonder if QoC has had that baby yet?

I put waterproof covers on both beds last night (so I can take my pick) and am planning on spending the weekend cleaning in preparation for Monday's home midwife visit.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:25 AM

Well, I made it through the night and my surges don't seem as intense or regluar this morning. So we're off to go yardsaling! (DH thinks that will bring on the baby for sure!)

Happy Saturday, everyone!

Old 05-08-2004, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

sorry I've been MIA lately...I've been checking but somehow couldn't really find anything to say. We don't interview Peds. I have decided not to do well-baby check-ups and since I won't be vaxing our current ds anymore and the new one at all, well, I guess it doesn't seem very necessary. Not to mention we don't have insurance on our kids so if they get sick enough to see a dr., I'll kind of cross that bridge when we get there. Most likely I can look up 98% of it in my homeopathy book and hopefully take care of it before it needs a doctor. I don't know, we'll see I guess. In both of my hb's, my mw has checked/wil check both baby and me at 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, and 6 weeks. I don't think I took him in to the Dr. until he was supposed to get his first round of shots (before I did any research about vaxing).

QoC-have fun today! being mobile was a great way to keep things going for me, but make sure you are resting a lot just in case this ends up taking a while. Can't wait to hear your birth story and see pics of your baby!

Smithie-got the check yesterday, thanks!

What's the word on the bracelets?

So how weird is this...I start feeling anemic, so I take iron pills 3 days in a row as well as taking 2 prenatals (6 is the recommended dose, I usually take 1 if I remember, which I haven't been lately) and my calcium. I start having restless legs at night so I start downing bananas too. Then I decide to take a break from all the vits for a day or two-they give me horrible gas and I have to be careful or I get diarrhea too. So the day I stop taking them, no restless legs and I have been able to sleep well ever since. AND I didn't have a banana that day-prior to that I had eaten 5 in a 24 hour period trying to get some relief! So now I am feeling like a) am I some sort of freak? or b) have my problems with vits become so ingrained in my mind that I psychosomatically create more problems when I take them? I mean, who ever heard of stuff like this? It certainly isn't usual-I have tried to find info online and haven't come up with much.

Dh gave me Adventures in Tandem Nursing for Mother's day. I am so excited! I really want to read it before the new one gets here and I don't really like my local LLL group so I couldn't borrow it and the library doesn't have it. Since it is becoming obvious my ds is not ready to end our nursing relationship, I figure 8 wks out is a good time to start preparing myself.

Today my goal is to finish Rowan's quilt and find something to make a friend for Mother's Day. Oh, and I need to make my bro some laundry bags-he's moving out for the summer! Well, no time like the present! Have a great Saturday ladies, belly rubs to everyone...
Old 05-08-2004, 02:20 PM

QoC- Have fun yardsaleing!! There aren't good ones in Utah like there were in Kansas. I miss that a lot!!! Sounds like your body is doing what it is supposed to to bring this kiddo into the world! How exciting for you!!!

Julie- That is strange about the vitamins, but listen to your body. You are an intuitive person and your body will tell you what it needs. Have fun working on the quilt and reading your new book!!! I always love getting new books!!!

Have a great Saturday everyone. We're going to our 2nd Hypnobirthing class, that should be good. I am not really looking forward to tomorrow. It's my first Mother's Day in 2 years without Emma. 2 years ago, I'd just found out I was pregnant with her. Last year she was 5 months old. This year, I have a full belly, but empty arms. I plan on going to visit her at the cemetery for a good long time on Sunday.

Happy Mother's Day to everyone, what a fabulous group of mothers this is!!!!

Old 05-08-2004, 02:27 PM

Woo hoo! I am 37 weeks today. Bring it on!

I've been having this occasional pain on one side of my belly. It's an area about the size of my palm. It's not a contraction; it lasts for several minutes. Ouch!

My mother is coming to visit tomorrow. I'm really not in the mood to be entertaining, so I hope dh will take care of all that.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
OK, I'm going to take the suggestion of the kind mama who posted in my UTI thread and try get James to shift his position. His back has consistently been along the right side of my uterus. I'd like him to wiggle around and lie along the left side to ease my bladder pains.

So how the HECK might I accomplish this feat?

I feel very embarrassed that I've made it this far without learning about how to shift the baby... but I have not wanted him to shift until now!
Old 05-08-2004, 09:55 PM

My baby is mostly posterior and I sometimes feel the kicking to the right and the butt on the left (this is after having it pointed out to me by the mw). But mostly the legs and feet and knees are in front and of course so are the hands and arms, which punch and scrabble at my bladder. My daughter wasn't posterior up until the birth, I don't think, but she came out face up. I had a short easy labor even though she was face up and even though I refused to do anything but lie down so I'm not worried about this one. It is uncomfortable, however, and I have to pee much more frequently than I remember doing the first time.

I was correct in my suspicions and we were supposed to see David Bowie Thursday evening, but after the opening act a lighting op fell to his death onstage. My husband is in the AV business and this was someone he knew, so instead of our night on the town bash (we had a hotel room also because he was working there), we of course had a most distressing evening. People in the audience actually complained the concert was cancelled, which I found so abominably disgraceful it almost upset me more than a colleague's death.

I look forward more and more to my prenatal appointments. Monday I have my group B strep screen and make the appointment for our home visit. Within ten days I'm supposed to have all this stuff bought and ready, egad.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:11 PM

Wow Liz! I'm sorry your night out didn't go as planned. I never understand when people get angry about things like that. It's kinda sick and twisted.

Smithie- I think pelvic tilts, spending time on all fours laying on the desired side would help move your little one over.

I think I have a long little one growing inside. He/she seems to be in both my bladder and my rib cage at the same time. My left side is KILLING me.

We had lunch today w/ the moms for mother's day. It's so funny to listen to everyone make their predictions because we know the sex but they don't know we know. Dh & I just laugh about it because my mom is certian she know what the baby is and she's wrong!!

My brother's girlfriend is pregnant again. My neice is 18 months old and she wasn't wanted and either is this one. It's so sad and very frustrating. She refuses to educate herself on birth(wouldn't even take a chldbirth class) and absolutly won't breastfeed. She thinks it's gross and useless since they have now developed a breastmilk formula I've given up! My neice was fed solids at less then 3 weeks of age and has more allergies then I care to think about. She's whiney and clingy and just an unhappy baby. SOmetimes I just want to smack my brother! UGH!

Hope everyone has a happy mother's day!!!
Old 05-09-2004, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

well, I wrote a long reply to the whole unwanted pregnancy/bad parenting thing, but evidently it didn't post. Bummer.

Liz, what an aweful experience. I bet your dh worked really hard on that surprise for you, so sad that it didn't work out well, not to mention the utter horror of what happened!

Anyone else kind of excited that QoC hasn't posted since this morning? I hope she is doing well and having a baby! Since I am due the very end of June, I get to birth babies again and again through you guys! How awesome is that?

It's 12:16 am where I am, so happy official Mother's Day! Extra belly rubs for everone!
Old 05-09-2004, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjule
Anyone else kind of excited that QoC hasn't posted since this morning? I hope she is doing well and having a baby! Since I am due the very end of June, I get to birth babies again and again through you guys! How awesome is that?
Julie- I was thinking the same thing! She hasn't posted since 8:25 yesterday morning. Could we have our first baby???!!!!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY everyone!!!
Old 05-09-2004, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reposted from Health:

Well, it WAS a UTI. I got a fever and the shakes last night, so we went to the ER and just got back. It hasn't spread to the kidneys though, and the babe looked really good on the EFM once I rehydrated and had some Tylenol for my fever.

I am going to strangle my doctor, though.

Now, off to bed!
Old 05-09-2004, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Smithie-I would too! Yuck! Hope you feel better soon now that you have something to help you fight it.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:46 PM

So they cultured the urine and it came back negative? Or they didn't test at all?

Since I had 7 UTIs and kidney infections with #1, with this pg I bought a bunch of those test strips and tested myself at home each week, since the infections I had been getting were asymptomatic until they reached the kidneys or showed up on the strips at my monthly exams.

User Tag List