UTI pain, but no infection! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-08-2004, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow, Queenie, this is EXCITING!

I am in big trouble. I have UTI symptoms which didn't clear up with cranberry tablets, vitamin C and probiotics, so I went to my moron allopath for a urine culture. He saw nothing on the slide (it's going to the lab to make sure), and thinks that it's a mechanical issue i.e. baby is sitting on my bladder and irritating it. The cure for this? Birth.

I don't know what to do. I CAN'T spend the next 3-5 weeks with UTI pain. I took some pyridine (Uristat) which relieved the discomfort a bit, but I can't stay on that for 3-5 weeks either.

I'm going to repost this in the Health forum - anybody have any ideas?

#2 of 9 Old 05-08-2004, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No ideas, but I have this too! I'll get this sudden sharp pain in my urethra. I get the urge to cry out, squirm around and grab the area, which I can't exactly do everywhere! It's not a good feeling...but it comes and goes with me. The baby must still be moving its head around a lot.
#3 of 9 Old 05-08-2004, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had this too, when my baby had settled into a ROA position. Getting him/her to switch to more of an LOA position (switching the baby's back from facing right to facing left) helped relieve it. If it makes you feel better, it was only bad for a couple of weeks, and I am basically due now.

Does it help to lift your belly? If so, a maternity belt or other belly-supporting device might help.

Good luck.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#4 of 9 Old 05-09-2004, 11:36 PM

Smithie, I've got it too and it's so not fun! I've been getting really good at Kegels cause I keep getting punched in the baldder and have to squeeze tight to make sure I don't leak, loL! The best I've come up with is lifting my belly when I feel the pain, takes the pressure off my bladder. Also, drinking a lot at a time (instead of sipping all day) has actually helped, my bladder gets good and full and seems to be easier to empty. Since I've been doing that the pain has actually been less often and less severe.

Also, it probably won't last up until birth, since babe will be changing position a lot, it will ebb and flow.

Hang in there honey!!

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#5 of 9 Old 05-10-2004, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well whaddya know, I actually did have a UTI. I wound up in the ER at 4 a.m. Sunday morning with a fever, etc. After a couple of doses of antibiotics, I feel much better, and they put me on the EFM for a while and the baby seems fine, although his heart rate rose slightly with my fever and came back down when they gave me Tylenol. I'm a tiny bit dilated and effaced, but hopefully I caught it in time to avoid going into labor.
#6 of 9 Old 05-10-2004, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Aaaaargh. I have called my doctor's office twice to try and get some doc to look at my urine culture and tell me if I'm taking the right antibiotic, and IT IS PAST FIVE AND THEY HAVE NOT CALLED BACK. I am so pissed off right now. Don't they realize that my baby is the most important thing on earth and should be their highest priority?
#7 of 9 Old 05-11-2004, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smithie,
I feel your pain, although I am not pregnant right now. (I did have two UTI's when I was pregnant though). Anyhow, they dippped my urine, it showed bacteria and then sent me home with Bactrim. After days with no relief, I went into a prompt care type place and demanded another dip, which came out negative. They said that the bactrim was probably just clearing up what was showing up in my urine. the culture comes back today with TONS of bacteria and they switched me to CIPro which seems to be helping. Please, please make a pest of yourself and always demand a culture when you are pregnant. I can't belief my doctor didn't do a culture inititally since I am so prone to these. Good luck. It is so important to be on the right antibiotic.
thanks and good luck healing,
Elle
#8 of 9 Old 05-11-2004, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I saw their DO (osteopath), and it turns out that my urine culture from them was a complete wash - just some gram positive rods that were probably by own natural flora. Luckily, the practice is attached to the hospital I went to, so they are harassing them to get a copy of THAT urine culture. Meanwhile, I'm to keep taking Tylenol.

I see my mw tomorrow, hopefully she'll have some good ideas and maybe know a doctor who's not such an asshat and understands that I must kick this infection in order to birth with my care providers.

Thanks for all the good vibes. I got to enjoy a couple of contractions with back pain while lying on the tiny exam table, but that subsided when I rolled onto my side. They were just the normal Braxton-Hicks that I've had for ages, but it gave me a tiny glimpse of what it must be like to labor flat on your back in a hospital bed. I'd be screaming for my epidural in about 3 seconds.
#9 of 9 Old 05-11-2004, 04:03 PM

This is why I don't agree with standardized medicine. So often, when I've known I had an infection, not only did they not do the culture, they didn't even do the dip! They just gave me the drug that works for "most people."

I'd like to see the system go back to individualized medicine, where they actually find out what kind of treatment would work best for me, and not rely on what usually works for other people.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page