June Mamas May 16-22 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 167 Old 05-18-2004, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, so much for going into labor on my schedule. James is very happy where he is.

We'll give him another week, and then my mw can strip the membranes again and I'll try some cohosh and nipple stimulation that afternoon. I think I'll keep having sex, though - dh should be happy about that. :
#62 of 167 Old 05-18-2004, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie
Well, so much for going into labor on my schedule. James is very happy where he is.

We'll give him another week, and then my mw can strip the membranes again and I'll try some cohosh and nipple stimulation that afternoon. I think I'll keep having sex, though - dh should be happy about that. :
LOL--the other night dh would not leave me alone he was so handsy! And then he says to me "but Jess--nipple stimulation is supposed to" and I swatted his hand away

I gotta watch what I say in front of him now..the words come back to haunt me! :LOL

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!
#63 of 167 Old 05-18-2004, 11:07 PM

Aarh -- I have been feeling so exhausted and somewhat flu-like -- on and off. Plus more diarrhea today. But no more contractions today. Appt. with Ob tomorrow. We'll see.

What is stripping the membranes??

Peace,
#64 of 167 Old 05-18-2004, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgreengables

What is stripping the membranes??

Peace,
It is a procedure where they pull the membranes away from the uterus. It can be painful and it CAN induce infection into the uterus.

It only works on a certain amount of women....I had it done 4 times (before I knew better!) and 2 of those times was within one pregnancy. It never worked...however I know a few girls it has helped.

Jessica-
#65 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 02:29 AM

Just FYI, Paula, I did not find it painful. My mw said that my cervix was very soft and thin, and that the procedure might have been painful for me if I was not ripe. Also, some women are just more sensitive up there than others.

But I'm also still pregnant today, so I cannot vouch for the usefulness of getting the membranes stripped.
#66 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe
what is the link to join the group?

thanks!!!
HEre's the link to the hypnobabies website. http://www.hypnobabies.com/home.php
I think you can either sign up by going to the forums section or by clicking on contact us and sending Kerry an e-mail telling her you would like to join the yahoo group.

There use to be an actual link to signing up but I can't find it. I don't know if it will show up when you click on forums(it doesn't for my but I'm not sure if that is because I'm already a member or not).

Good Luck!
#67 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 09:28 AM

I can't believe how close we are all getting. I now have to go in for weekly visits! June is fast approaching and it's such an incredibly busy month it's going to fly by! It's so weird that quite possibly in a month I will be holding a sweet little newborn.

I think the baby dropped a little. My ribs aren't as sore but my bladder is under constant attack!

Lately I've been having some bh where my whole stomach tightens up into this rock hard ball and stays that way for a couple of minutes. Anyone else experiencing this? I don't remember having this w/ the other two.

OH some FANTASTIC news!!! My cousin who has been trying to get pregnant for 6 1/2 years is finally pregnant!!!! They totally had given up hope that they would ever get pregnant and now she is!! Please, please , please send her sticky vibes!!!

Hope everyone is doing well!!
#68 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredsmom
I'm a bit bummed out with my company's maternaty leave "package." I do get the 6 weeks short-term leave after baby is born, but then I only get 2 weeks at reduced pay since I have only been there for 2 years. After that I can take 4 weeks unpaid. Woohoo! At least I could phase-back for a month after that. Would be even better if I didn't have to go back. But I am the "bread-winner" (for now). Dh is an actor and has his own video-taping business, and, thankfully, is the one who stays home and watches our son. But it would be nice if I could do that. But that's another story, and we are trying to arrange things so that I could get out of the job.
Hi Tricia! I'm the breadwinner w/ a SAHD too! DH is a bass player. I'm very apprehensive about the whole leave thing too. I get 2 weeks where I have to use my own Paid Time Off (if I have enough, which I probably won't), then they pay me 65% of my salary for 4 weeks. After that I can take 6 more weeks under the federal FMLA, of course completely unpaid. I don't know how I'm going to do it, probably sell some furniture or maybe get a small part-time job to hold me over. I just can't go back after 6 weeks like I did with DS.

I've been trying to convince DH to do something too but, who knows? Mostly I'd like to freelance out of the home, so I hope to use my leave to help cultivate that as well.

Tamara
#69 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmommy
OH some FANTASTIC news!!! My cousin who has been trying to get pregnant for 6 1/2 years is finally pregnant!!!! They totally had given up hope that they would ever get pregnant and now she is!! Please, please , please send her sticky vibes!!!
That's so cool!

My sister had her membranes stripped with my younger niece at 40w6d in the middle of July... she was soooo desperate to have that baby OUT. : It was done around 9am, she went to school, went for her daily afternoon walk to get labor going, and around 7 pm she finally noticed that her pants would not stay up over her belly when she stood up... they kept sliding down. She went to the hospital at 7:40pm, they checked her and said she wasn't dialated past three (same as that morning) her cervix was still fairly long and she wasn't in labor. She said "Yes I am" and stayed. Shortly after 8 pm they tried to call a cab to send her home; 8:15 she threw up all over the triage area, so they let her stay... 8:30 her water broke and at 8:43 my niece was born. One contraction for the head, then her giant shoulders got stuck for the next contraction, she was turned and she slid out.

So it can work. : I, however, am not a candidate for membrane stripping because of the GBS. I wish I'd known this when I was pregnant with Eli, though. I think now that it's entirely possible that the reason my water broke Monday night was because of an attempt to strip my membranes that morning, which succeded only in introducing the bacteria to my cervix.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#70 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 11:03 AM

I don't feel very good this morning - and I can't figure out if I'm really having surges. I'm feeling a lot of pressure and discomfort, but I can't seem to discern a pattern and they're not terribly intense. I feel pretty queasy, too. Just not feeling great today...

But it is me and DH's 3-year anniversary! So we're going out for Thai food and to see Shrek 2 tonight. I'm excited about that...

PS- I found "stripping the membranes" to be somewhat uncomfortable. I have a fairly touchy cervix to begin with, though. The midwife stripped them LAST monday and I had a lot of bloody show and irregular contractions for about 2 days then. She stripped them again the day before yesterday and it wasn't as uncomfortable as the first time, and though I've had a lot of pink-streaked mucous since its not as much as last week.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#71 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 11:07 AM

QoC- Happy Anniversary!! Hope you're feeling better. Let's hope some spicy Thai food kicks things into high gear!!
#72 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ugh, I don't like nipple stimulation. Dh is disappointed about that...

I got another leg cramp last night, same time, same leg! Is that supposed to be some kind of warm-up for labor? I've also been waking up with intestinal cramps. I'm getting ready for this thing to be over.
#73 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 02:38 PM

Dang it!!!!! I had a whole big post typed out and then I ht the wrong button and lost the blasted thing!!!

Anyway, Rynna, yes I remember being on the TTC threads....I think Robin was on the nursing mamas threads, weren't you Robin? I remember Erin being on the general TTC threads as well. Here we all are, ready to hold our babies in a matter of weeks.

I am feeling good overall. Some aches and pains, occassional emotional outburst, using involving lots of tears, but nothing making me miserable. I do have a lot of bladder pain and pressure if I wait to pee for too long. My baby was flipping around a lot up until 36 weeks, but is now head down, and I am pretty sure posterior. If I try to check my cervix, I can feel his/her head from inside. I have always loved that.

I realy need baby to stay inside for at least 3.5 weeks. Of course, because I am wanting that so badly, he or she may decide on a different plan for me! I just have so many other things that need to be finished/completed, everything will be much more settled after June 11th. Like I can actually decide these things, huh?

Okay, I need a nap.....ttyl!
#74 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 03:21 PM

I don't really like nipple stimulation, either. I've always had a strong emotional reaction to my nips being touched - if lovin' is already underway it feels good, but as a starter it usually makes me feel tearful and depressed. However, I put my sobbing baby cousin to the breast once (desperation makes you do odd things) and did not get the same reaction. Weird, huh?

Anyhow, I'll take membrane stripping over nipple twiddling any day.
#75 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 03:32 PM

So, I found a midwife's guide to using cohosh to induce labor online today and then went to whole foods to get blue and black cohosh. They taste awful! But I figure I'll try it for a few hours and see - if nothing else, maybe the placebo effect will help my contractions to regulate. The instructions are to take a few drops of each every 20 minutes for 5 hours (starting with 5 drops the first hour and going to 20 drops by the 4th hour). Anyone tried this before? I lost a lot of pink-tinged mucous this morning, and I've been having regular surges every 10 minutes or so today... seemed like a good time to try something to get me into a progressing pattern.

#76 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 03:56 PM

Those sound like much more sensible directions than the ones I followed! I was pounding back twenty drops of balck cohosh every fifteen minutes - big bellyache!

I need to go to Whole Foods next week and find some blue scohosh, so I can try your ramp-up method next week.
#77 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 04:01 PM

Please define "surges" for me.

Went to OB todya -- no dilation but cervix has moved to the proper place nad she could feel the head just behind the cervix. I am happy to keep her cooking for a while longer, though.

Peace,
#78 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgreengables
Please define "surges" for me.
Surge is another word for contraction. I'm doing the Hypnobabies program, which is using hypnosis for childbirth. The word contraction has so many negative connotations for so many people, the words "surge" or "pressure wave" are substituted. If you ask me, they offer a better description of the sensation anyway...

#79 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 05:47 PM

I like the word "babyhug."

I still can't feel my cervix or the baby's head. I wonder if it's because mine is still really far back?
#80 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 05:56 PM

Well, I started the garlic clove treatement last night. It was no big deal but I could taste? the garlic. Very strange. I went in today to have more blood drawn for monitering my platelett levels but didn't talk to the backup doc. I'm going to talk to my midwife on Friday about the whole GBS thing and the internal struggle I've been going thru about what to do. I really want to be retested and have this test come up negative. That would just be a huge weight off my shoulders. So, if she agrees it'd be worthwhile, I'll call my backup doc and schedule a re-test for next week which means I'll spend the weekend majorly trying every home remedy known for eliminating GBS. Knowing I'm positive and not knowing for sure what I want to do about treatment has totally cooled off any desire I had to have the baby early.

Meanwhile, I look like a vitamin freak with my probiotic, vit c, prenatal, 8 alfalfa, iron, epo, etc. It takes an entire glass of water to get it all down. Anybody else looking forward to not caring so much about what they eat and how well they treat their body? I know I have to take care of myself after baby comes and my milk supply etc, but I'm just getting sick of the high maintenance phase.

Well, hope everyone has a great evening and QoC I hope your labor gets going. I really do think you had something there when you said having your in-laws around may have you blocked. I hope you get a nice private space to settle into soon.
#81 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 05:57 PM

Well, I'm still trying the cohoshes, but loosing faith. I'm on hour three now, and that stuff tastes sooo awful! I finally decided the easiest way to take it was to put the black and blue together in a shot glass, add just enough water to make one good swallow - shoot it then chase it with water. Other than having to pee every 20 minutes there's no big change. If I'm up and busy I have surges every 5 minutes, if I lay down, they practically stop. Just more prodromal labor, methinks...

#82 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 06:11 PM

I've been slacking off on eating. I'm not counting any more protein grams or checking the Brewer list. I figure, what can I possibly do for this baby in 10 more days? I've probably put in a good enough effort already. So I'll just eat when I'm hungry, and try to make sure I get mostly healthy stuff, and drink more water.

Still no coffee though...I'm looking forward to that again!
#83 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 06:30 PM

I read something scary about cohosh, that it can make you bleed out after labor. Anyone know about that? It has made me afraid to try it.
I'm not due for 3 wks yet but babe told me s/he is ready to come out.

Anyway, so I tried to feel my cervix today. Uh, where is it? I was charting when I got pg and checking it several times a day so it's not like I don't know where to feel or what it feels like, but it's like everything felt kinda different (ie swollen) in there and I couldn't feel the thing for anything!
Does it go hide when you're pg and only come out when you're closer to labor or what?

Oh and pooey - I got an email saying our crib mattress had been delivered today and it is MIA! I did get our co-sleeper though, so now I'm out to find out if the FedEx (who delivered the co-sleeper) saw the mattress!

Lucky Mommy to 1 awesome 5 yr old son , 1 strong minded 19 month old baby girl ::, and 1 beloved angel baby
#84 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie
Just FYI, Paula, I did not find it painful. My mw said that my cervix was very soft and thin, and that the procedure might have been painful for me if I was not ripe. Also, some women are just more sensitive up there than others.

But I'm also still pregnant today, so I cannot vouch for the usefulness of getting the membranes stripped.
I think it also depends on how much they pull away...some give a more "vigorous" stripping then others.

I was 3-4 cm dilated and 90% effaced (all 4 times) and it still hurt! Lots of bloody show and contractions, but nothing else each time. Luckily, my OB is not a big proponent of it, so I haven't had to worry about it these last 2 times.

QOC--it helps to absorb the cohosh if you can stand to hold it under your tongue instead of just swallowing it....but it is nasty I agree!

A word on nipple stimulation...you can do it yourself to avoid that touched out feeling too.....best way is in a warm bath with doors closed...put a warm washcloth on both sides...then only have one covered at a time as you work the other nipple gently.....and you should only do it for 15 min at a time. It also helps to do some visualization during this.

Jessica-
#85 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 07:55 PM

Hm.. all this talk of nipple stimulation... does nursing work? : Seriously, though.. does it? I don't think I could tolerate any other kinds of nipple stimulation, not now and definately not three weeks from now when I'm really gonna want to start labor. : Of course, I'm not sure if that would help me, because Eli flips out when I'm in pain.

I just can't get over being 34 weeks. It's amazing to me. Eli was born at 37; in three weeks, I could potentially have NewBean in my arms. Amazing.. I still can't get over it, it just messes with my head. Where did the time go?

I really want to go swimming at the Y tonight, but I'm not sure if my belly will still fit into my swimsuit. It might.. I had to buy it really really big to fit over my breasts . I got a nursing swimsuit for $2 on the trading post a while back, but that definately won't fit over this belly until NewBean is out. : Anyway, if the swimsuit doesn't fit, I'm gonna make Mike take Eli all by himself! *evil scientist laughter* Eli needs to get out more. I feel so guilty about the fact that I spend most of my day sitting around trying to stay awake so that I can keep an eye on him, and that the idea of being outside for more than a few minutes exhausts me. So Mike and Eli are going out tonight, regardless of whether or not my swimsuit fits.

My last day of Sunday school, one of the other teachers and I were talking and I said something about Eli nursing. She said "Wait... he's still nursing? What are you going to do after the baby is born?" "Um, nurse them both." "Are you out of your mind?" "Yes, actually, I am. " : It was pretty funny, and, interestingly, she was only the third person to make a not-quite-positive comment about tandem nursing. : And the first one who didn't have children and had therefore never breastfed herself. :

#86 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I wrote a huge post this morning and MDC ate it! Oh well. You know, I have found that my ds nursing works differently on my uterus than any other stimulation. Dh playing with them sexually doesn't give me cramps, nor does doing it myself and pumping just makes me feel like they are being ripped off, but ds nursing, whoa, that can be intense. Not very helpful to most of you trying to get things started, I know, but good to know for after baby is born! There is nothing that feels the same as actual nursing, at least for me.

My cervix is really soft and once I got pg, it moved far back. It took me forever to find it the other night and I don't think I'll try again-it just isn't worth the discomfort of me shoving my fingers as far back as they will go. So if you can't find yours, just think about how soft/ripe it must be for it to feel the same as everything else.

I made myself a dress this morning. Turned out well considering I folded a fav nightgown/chemise in half, then cut around it for a pattern! I am so much more comfy and less hot. Now I just have another to make and a few skirts and I can finally have something to wear that I am not sweltering in!

Working on the announcements right now, baby must know b/c I am having lots of b/h.

Anyone else kind of irritated that they haven't received anything for a 2nd (or 3rd, etc) baby? It isn't the stuff, I really don't need anything, but the lack of recognition really bothers me. It hurts my feelings that no one has taken the 5 minutes to send a card to say, "hey, we think this baby is just as special as your first". Being a 2nd child whose older sibling got lavished with attention, I guess I am hypersensitive to it, but I'd like to be able to tell this child someday "so and so made this just for you" or "we got so many cards from ppl that were glad you were coming". As is, I have made him some things, but other than that everything handmade or carefully thought out is Tain's. Pretty sucky birthright if you ask me. I am hoping that since we live out of state now ppl just don't know and when they receive the announcements, we will get some sort of communication. Like I said, I don't care about actual gifts, just that ppl support this baby like they did for Tain. Ppl I didn't know got Tain gifts and this poor baby hasn't received anything from close relatives, let alone strangers.

Well, back to the ol' grind.

QoC-Sending you every ounce of energy and positive thought I have. What you are going through must be really trying. Hang in there, mama.
#87 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I was writing the same time you were, but it worked out pretty well concerning the nursing question!

Matt got me Adventures in Tandem Nursing for Mother's Day and while I think I could have muddled through without it, it has been nice to have a heads up for possible problems. Silly thing is, he had to get it for me as a gift b/c I was too cheap to buy it but it is definitely worth it if you can scrape together the cash. Or maybe your local LLL group has a copy.
#88 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjule
Anyone else kind of irritated that they haven't received anything for a 2nd (or 3rd, etc) baby? It isn't the stuff, I really don't need anything, but the lack of recognition really bothers me. It hurts my feelings that no one has taken the 5 minutes to send a card to say, "hey, we think this baby is just as special as your first". Being a 2nd child whose older sibling got lavished with attention, I guess I am hypersensitive to it, but I'd like to be able to tell this child someday "so and so made this just for you" or "we got so many cards from ppl that were glad you were coming". As is, I have made him some things, but other than that everything handmade or carefully thought out is Tain's. Pretty sucky birthright if you ask me. I am hoping that since we live out of state now ppl just don't know and when they receive the announcements, we will get some sort of communication. Like I said, I don't care about actual gifts, just that ppl support this baby like they did for Tain. Ppl I didn't know got Tain gifts and this poor baby hasn't received anything from close relatives, let alone strangers..
Julie- Most of my family hasn't even acknowledged my second dd's birth and that was over 2 years ago. I would have been happy w/ a card. This time around most of them haven't even acknowledged that I'm pregnant. It makes me sad because I think every baby is special and a true miracle.
#89 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjule
Anyone else kind of irritated that they haven't received anything for a 2nd (or 3rd, etc) baby? It isn't the stuff, I really don't need anything, but the lack of recognition really bothers me. It hurts my feelings that no one has taken the 5 minutes to send a card to say, "hey, we think this baby is just as special as your first". Being a 2nd child whose older sibling got lavished with attention, I guess I am hypersensitive to it, but I'd like to be able to tell this child someday "so and so made this just for you" or "we got so many cards from ppl that were glad you were coming". As is, I have made him some things, but other than that everything handmade or carefully thought out is Tain's. Pretty sucky birthright if you ask me. I am hoping that since we live out of state now ppl just don't know and when they receive the announcements, we will get some sort of communication. Like I said, I don't care about actual gifts, just that ppl support this baby like they did for Tain. Ppl I didn't know got Tain gifts and this poor baby hasn't received anything from close relatives, let alone strangers.
It feels strange to me that the only people who've been excited about NewBean's impending arrival are here. I think that Mike's grandmother is making/has made her a blanket, as she's crocheted one for each great-grandchild except the most recent (she was adopted, so GMIL made a special embroidered blanket for her, because "her mother didn't get the pleasure of carrying and birthing her herself" ). She's a really sweet woman! All of her grandchildren (including Mike & SIL) have beautiful handmade, heirloom-quality quilts and I'm sure that if she was still able to quilt, she'd be making them for the great-grandchildren too.

I know that Mike's parents aren't thrilled that we're going forth with our family plans without the blessing of their church, so I think that explains them.. Eli was exciting anyway because he was their first grandchild, after years of thinking they would never have any at all, and because he was just one baby, they could pretend that it was an accident. : This time, not only can they not pretend that it's an accident, but they knew that we were actively ttc (because Mike was really excited and he told them when we started back in June of last year! : ). So I guess the closest they come to being excited is praying for our souls. Well, that's not strictly true; MIL is pretty pleased to be having another grandchild on the way, even if the circumstances aren't her ideal ones. : SIL, on the other hand.. I'm absolutely certain that *every time* she goes to church or prays (I think they might pray every day at her school) she prays for Mike at least to find Jesus again (not that Mike feels like he's lost him). At least she's stopped singing "Jesus Loves Me" to Eli every time Mike and I are both out of the room.

#90 of 167 Old 05-19-2004, 10:22 PM

yes, we are also the chopped liver branch of the family. My mother-in-law is staying nearby at the end of June for a week. Not to see the baby (she hasn't mentioned that unless I mention it first) or help us out or even give my daughter, her first grandchild, some attention, but to bring her other granddaughter (*the* grandchild) who lives down the hall from her out of the city for a week to do some special things and see the family. She did buy us the packnplay we asked for and some baby clothes but otherwise does not betray any excitement or interest at all. When my sister in law was pg a few months ago (early m/c), my mil talked volumes about how she had to change her plans about going back to Europe and how excited she was to have another grandchild and how she would be there for the birth and to help. What amazes me is she said these things to *me,* in front of my kid, and we're having a baby sooner and she wasn't going to be in the country even, but now my niece needs a weekend away with grandma. ugh.

It makes you think, well you don't want these kinds of people around spoiling things anyway, but it still smarts. And I see no need to make my daughter feel her sibling is not important to the family.

My friends have asked what we need and want, and are happy to get what we asked for (gift certs to bru or diaperaps) and really nice about it besides. My own "family" has not even acknowledged news of my pregnancy, so at least my inlaws do ask how I feel and if we have everything we need (though nothing happens when we say no, we don't, not at all. ) I don't mean to sound terribly greedy but it does feel a little lonely, especially for us, ten years after the first you'd think people would realize it is a lot like starting all over in a practical sense. Again, it's not about the gifts but about being excited and happy for us- strangers are more interested in my pregnancy and plans and what sorts of things I have ready than our own families! It makes me wonder just what kind of relationship they want or expect to have with this new person.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page