June Mamas May 16-22 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 167 Old 05-20-2004, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I went for a walk today - got uncomfortable, but no contractions. I talked to dh about feeling discouraged about today's appt - last week they were saying I could be in labor this week, and now they are saying I don't look close at all and they are planning on seeing me at the 40-week appt. Dh is from the same camp as I am; telling me the baby will get here when it's ready, and it's just not ready now, which I know is true. I don't want to do anything to get things going unless it's walking or sex, one of which I haven't yet tried today!
#122 of 167 Old 05-20-2004, 11:56 PM

Oh, I hope I didn't start all the evil IL posts with my comments!! I actually have pretty great IL's, they just aren't falling all over themselves about this baby like they did with Ben. They have been very respectful of all our parenting and life choices, even though they do not always jive with their opinions. We're a little estranged from step MIL, she and FIL divorced right after Ben was born and it was a bit ugly and Dan doesn't have much relationship with her anymore (she raised him from about 3 yrs old). So we might not have a lot in common with Dan's sides of the fam, but we all get along well enough.

Our MWs came for our home visit today. I had a bad night of lots of cramping and pain and htey said things are definitely getting started. I let them check me and I'm a teeny bit dilated. The baby is still floating a bit so it was hard to tell how much I'm effaced, but I'm definitely soft and squishy I was worried they'd say everything was hard and long and closed up, so even though I know it could still be weeks, it's good to know things are moving along. They gave me some ideas to help with the cramping and said it might be as soon as next week

Dh slipped today that I have to go with him to pick Ben up from school on Monday cause the mommas there are planning a little something for us. He wanted me to be suprised but couldn't figure out how to get me to go without telling me, cause I never want to go anywhere lately, lol! I'm very touched

Gotta get Ben to bed and get some sleep myself. I've taken 2 tiny naps while he played but they haven't put a dent in my exhaustion. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep through without more cramping. I don't want to look too tired tomorrow, I have to go in to get my driver's license renewed

Have a wonderful, restful night mommas! Belly rubs to all!!

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#123 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I don't know if I'm any closer. I had diarhea today, horrible heartburn, and I've been having mild surges on and off today. When we went on an easy hike this evening they varried from 4-8 minutes apart, but never got intense.

I feel horrible for thinking about this, but I'm seriously considering asking the midwife to break my water on Monday. Next Friday we are closing on our house and we have about two weeks between closing and moving. Having a baby in the middle of that will complicate things a lot. (If I don't go into labor by Monday, I need to give DH power of attourney so he can close on the house if I'm in the hospital.) Plus - and I really hate admitting this - part of me is afraid that my terrible performance anxiety is stopping my body from going into labor fully. I'm a perfectionist, always try to live up to unreal expectations, and am infamous for setting unrealistic goals for myself. I get performance anxiety over everything, and I'm really suceptible to physical manifestations of stress. (My eating can get very disordered, for example.) Maybe my body has been hanging out at 5cm and 80% effaced for two weeks but its my mind holding back active labor...? I'm trying everything to get labor going and psych myself up, doing the Hypnobabies Fear Release and everything... but I swear it just seems like labor is getting farther and farther away...

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#124 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
I feel horrible for thinking about this, but I'm seriously considering asking the midwife to break my water on Monday. ...
Oh sweetie! Don't feel that way. If it is any consolation, I have had my water broken to induce labor my last 4 deliveries...and they went very well.

((hugs)) and I hope things get going for you! Sounds like you do have a lot on your plate.

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!
#125 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygrrl
I'm the breadwinner w/ a SAHD too! DH is a bass player. I'm very apprehensive about the whole leave thing too. I get 2 weeks where I have to use my own Paid Time Off (if I have enough, which I probably won't), then they pay me 65% of my salary for 4 weeks. After that I can take 6 more weeks under the federal FMLA, of course completely unpaid. I don't know how I'm going to do it, probably sell some furniture or maybe get a small part-time job to hold me over. I just can't go back after 6 weeks like I did with DS.
Hi, Tamara! I so hear you. I know I should be greatful that we new moms can take some sort of extended leave, but it's just too damned short. Sometimes I get fed up thinking about how the work ethic is in the US. (Believe me, I'm glad I live in the US!) I just don't like how work seems to overconsume our lives. Businesses only give a couple of weeks for vacation, and hardly any holidays. It seems when I talk with my counterparts in Europe, the have a holiday every few weeks, and extended shutdowns in the summer, and extended leaves (like 6 to 12 mo) for the birth of a child! I would love to see us have that choice of staying out that whole time, or go back if we wish.

Okay, I'll get off my little soap box. Thanks for letting me vent.

QOC - Have you tried the castor oil cocktail? It may help getting things going. (But then again, if you're experiencing diarreha already, it may not do much.) Anyway, the cocktail that I took for my 1st pregnancy consists of cator oil, orange juice, a shot of vodka (to help the mind relax and put you at ease), and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. (If you need to repeat the process, omit the vodka.) It actually was quite tasty, just had a little kick from the castor oil.

Sending loving labor vibes.
#126 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I feel horrible for thinking about this, but I'm seriously considering asking the midwife to break my water on Monday.
Oh Queenie! Don't feel horrible for thinking about it, but I really urge you to think of the alternatives. I've been where you are (both my parents were due to leave the country within days of my due date) and what I wouldn't give to turn back time and not give in and have my membranes ruptured. I know how hard it is and I wish so much that someone had supported me in not inducing. The windfall of interventions that can happen when you have AROM is insane and I know too many mothers who are still trying to reconcile their birth experiences from all that. AROM usually means IV, internal monitors for you and the baby, bladder catheters, pitocin (which causes the most horrible contractions ever) and often leads to cesarean if you don't deliver within 24 of your bags being broken. I'm really not trying to scare you, I just want you to know what you might be in for if you go with that option. It can be great and many birth go well with it, but I don't wish any of the other stuff on you at all. I never, never, never want a single momma to go through what I did and I'd rather you be mad at me for mentioning it than have a bad experience and any regrets about your birth I wish you peace and relaxation.

#127 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 09:29 AM

Queenie- I'm sure you have thougth of this already but have you tried taking a nice relaxing bath, going into deep hypnosis and talking to your baby about it being ok to be born. Just let the baby know that you are here for him/her and that you love him/her and you know it might be a bit scary but that mommy and daddy will be right there waiting.

I have a few friends that did this and it seemed to have worked. LAbor vibes to you!!
#128 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 10:51 AM

Don't worry Robin. It looks like we all needed a good MIL/FIL vent!

Peace,
#129 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 12:20 PM

Did I say CONGRATS! Michelle!! I hope Seth starts nursing better soon. DS had jaundice too and it was a struggle in the beginning. ((hugs))

Went car shopping yesterday how is it that they think it's a good sales tactic to leave a pregnant woman standing out in the heat for 20 minutes while you look for the keys!?
#130 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 12:35 PM

I also regretted letting them do AROM when I had been at 6 cm for 5 hours and in labor for over 24. Right after that, the severe pain started, and I just lay in the bed screaming until dd was born much, much later. It didn't speed things up, it just intensified them.
#131 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maternity/Parental leave is pretty good here. It's done by the government, through the Employment Insurance (a bit comes off every cheque) Its 50 weeks, split between the 2 parents, and the father can take up to 35 weeks of it (or the mom can take all 50) It kicks in after 2 weeks. You get paid about 60% of your working income (but no taxes come off EI, so it's closer to a regular paycheque than it sounds)

Since I'm a SAHM, I don't pay into EI (I don't have an insurable source of income... I rent out our basement suite) So DH is going to take 3 MONTHS off after the baby is born. Roland & the baby will have 2 full time parents!!! Then, DH is starting school (he's an electricians apprentice) Trade workers can collect EI while they're in school, so he'll switch to that from parental leave. He's taking his 3rd year in October & 4th year in January (10 wks each), so he won't be back to work until March!! School days are shorter than work days, so it will be a gradual transition for the family, getting back to regular life.

The downside is, the reason the government started paying longer maternity/parental leave was because too many women were staying home permanently... *sigh* It's all about job creation. When a mother goes back to work, she has to pay a daycare provider, and *yippie* theres another person to tax!! The family needs a second vehicle (maintainance, fuel, insurance... all taxed) The mother needs work clothes (taxed) The family is likely to eat out more often (taxed & someones gotta cook & serve the food... *poof* another job created!)

The upside is the government wasn't counting on men taking advantage of the parental leave as much as they have. People are smarter than they think... a woman often only makes about $.60 on every dollar a man makes. For alot of families, the mother takes the last bit of her pregnancy, and the first few months with the baby, then the parents switch off, and they collect 60% of his higher income instead!! The government will probably raise EI premiums as a result, but it will still be worth it. (you know, since we're one of the families thats taking advantage of it & all!)

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#132 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Harriet-that is so cool! Gotta love Canada...

well, I don't really have time to post, have a mw appt in 1/2 an hour.

QoC-thinking of you and sending you lots of peaceful vibes.
#133 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie
"I know that Mike's parents aren't thrilled that we're going forth with our family plans without the blessing of their church, so I think that explains them..."

OK, you've mentioned this weirdness a couple of times, so I hope you don't mind my asking, Rynna, WTF is up with these people? Is it one of those things where only the 127 members of the East Podunk Pentecostal Oddballs congregation will be saved from the lake of fire, and all the rest of us heathen are going to burn? Because your family sounds pretty traditional and Godly to me, what with the monogamy and the Sunday School and such. Did you guys elect not to get legally married or something? Or are your in-laws just freaks?
They're just freaks. :LOL Seriously, though. Mike's family attends a painfully conservative Christian church, and they've decided that legal marriage is the only way to be married. In PA, we have common law marriages which basically means that if you say you're married, you are. We consider ourselves to be married, but his father and sister won't accept that because we didn't have a legal or church ceremony. (My mother has never had this problem; when we told her we were moving in together she said "Oh, you mean you're getting married." I asked Mike what his parents had said about us moving in together and he said "I see no reason to discuss it with them." and didn't tell them until, literally, the day before we signed the lease. ) We didn't get legally married because we can't afford to; to put me on Mike's health insurance would make it impossible for us to live.

Ah, the Sunday school! Here's the thing-- I'm Jewish. So's Eli. Mike is a Christian, but he can't accept the doctrine of his parent's church, to say nothing of the seriously bigotted remarks which we have heard coming from the Preacher's mouth. Somehow, even though he grew up in the same house as his sister, he ended up very Liberal (SIL is conservative to make FIL look moderate, and he's pretty scary himself) in his religious beliefs and his politics. SIL has spent lots of time trying to indoctrinate Eli, and she was really sneaky about it; Mike got upset just like I did and maybe even more. I mean, she was basically saying "You're not Christian enough to save your kid's soul, so that's my job." which is, naturally, more offensive to him than it is to me (and I was pretty damned offended! ) When Mike talked to her about it, she said that she wasn't trying to do anything behind our backs, which is funny because that's exactly what she did. Sorry, actions speak louder than words. At any rate, after Easter Sunday, Mike was more motivated to find a church so that his father & sister would get off his back (they believe that if you don't go to church, you can't really be a Christian at all. And some churches are, naturally, better than others. ) and they'd stop taking Eli to church with them.

This is a *huge* issue, not so much for us but for FIL and SIL. I'm not going to convert, and I don't need Mike to convert, but I do wish that his family would respect our wishes and so does he. We've never had this problem with MIL at all, btw; she's a Christian, she goes to church and she's happy with it and active in the congregation, but never once has she indicated in any way that she's unhappy with the way Eli is being raised. She's such a sweet woman, and she's totally secure in who she is so she doesn't feel a need to force her personality on others (though she can be very effective at that, if need be). Mike told his father and sister that if they didn't back off, we'd have to stop going down there on weekends, and I'm fairly certian that a mere look from MIL would have shut them both up at that. :LOL FIL is a stubborn old man, but MIL doesn't say more than "I"m thinking about asking you to jump" before he says "how high?" :LOL It's incredible to watch, really. I've never heard her raise her voice, yet she manages to make her opinion painfully clear and get her way most of the time.

QoC, I know where you're coming from, but I have to tell you that from everything I've read, and from talking to people here, I think that one of the reasons my labor with Eli was so painful was because the fluid was gone. It really makes the contractions/surges a lot more difficult to deal with, and you'll have to contend with a potential c-section a lot sooner, or a vaginal delivery and the risk of a sick baby/you. I really understand how you feel, I have *totally* been there, but AROM has many potential complications and the pain is one that noone can tell you about until they've done it. I'm wishing for a soon and speedy labor and delivery for you!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#134 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 01:53 PM

OK, I've been playing this weird game with myself where I think of all the stuff that's going to be done by the end of the month and wondering if the baby will come before or after any of the things on the list. Like, "What will happen first, the birth or getting my order from amazon.com in the mail?"

So far I'm waiting on the Amazon order, the last episode of "24", the registration date for going back to school (this Sunday) and my sister flying into town (next Thursday). But I don't have any guesses as to where the birth will fit into all this...
#135 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 02:53 PM

QOC--if you want to talk to someone that has had some positive AROM/induction stories, please feel free to email me at luvs2labor@msn.com

(that way we can keep it off the board and not monoplozie the conversation! )

Jessica-
#136 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 03:03 PM

Well, I'm feeling much better... I went in to see the midwife today because I've had incredible pressure (I feel constipated, but I've been having diarhea). She checked me and I'm now at 6 CM! The baby is at a zero station and my bag of water is bulging. (She said if I didn't live so close to the hospital she'd reccomend induction because there's a good chance I'll have a very fast labor.) She was also very sympathetic when I told her how rude the nurse in L&D had been, and told me that they've had ladies come in 12+ times with false labor, so I shouldn't be feeling bad about going in once two weeks ago. And she said that the nurse was out of line...

It may sound silly, but this was just the affirmation that I needed: my body is still progressing, the baby IS on its way, I'm not completely stalled out. DH and I did the "Baby Come Out" Hypnobabies script this morning, and I think it did a lot to help, too...

#137 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 03:05 PM

I think I missed the post about the rude nurse...
#138 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseball
OK, I've been playing this weird game with myself where I think of all the stuff that's going to be done by the end of the month and wondering if the baby will come before or after any of the things on the list. Like, "What will happen first, the birth or getting my order from amazon.com in the mail?"

So far I'm waiting on the Amazon order, the last episode of "24", the registration date for going back to school (this Sunday) and my sister flying into town (next Thursday). But I don't have any guesses as to where the birth will fit into all this...
I've been playing a similar game with the perishable food in my fridge. I have milk and eggs in my fridge with expiration dates later than my due date. Makes it seems sooner . . . I did the same thing with my wedding, though.
#139 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 03:36 PM

Greaseball - That's funny...I've been doing the same thing with my appts. I have so many of them going between massage, chiro, midwife, hair and pedi that I want to get done before baby comes but then I think well if I get adjusted that day and don't have the baby for another week after that I might not be all nice and aligned still...

YAY QOC! Maybe a nice relaxing weekend with DH will be just the thing to bring that baby out by Mon!

BTW, I think Drs./mws should maybe not say anything about when they think a woman might have their baby by. My poor SIL in San Fran was due Mon 5/17, well at 36 wks her Dr. told her she would probably go early get this, based on the fact that she dropped then! (I just found out a few days ago what he based his guess on). Well she was 1 cm the wk before last and still 1 cm last week, haven't talked to them this week to see if she's had more progress.
Plus she works for a company that is not family oriented at all and started her mat. leave a little earlier based on what her Dr. said and now she's ticked bc she's burning up leave that she won't get after baby comes.
OTOH, we were trying for the first grandbaby and they weren't even trying, and I have REALLY REALLY always wanted a May baby for some reason so part of me wants to have my babe just 2 wks early and before her though I doubt that will happen bc the Dr. was already talking induction last week before she even hit her EDD.

Whew, ok, now that you know all about my SIL...

Question: My mw is going out of town next week from 5/27-6/2 (I have an appt next wk and then not again until 6/4 which is my LMP EDD).
I will be having my GBS test done next week and at my last appt she mentioned checking me next time as well. I told her I'd prefer to wait until at least 38 wks to get checked (and at that appt I will only be 37 1/2 based on O date EDD which is what I have been going by) and she said that was ok. But I had forgotten that she was going to be out of town. Part of me wants to have her go ahead and check me next week bc well, I'm really curious for one, and for 2 I figure it might be good to have her do it before she leaves so maybe if she looks she can say holy crap you're 4 cm and 80% effaced I'm going to stay and deliver this baby.
However, I know that I really won't know any more about when this baby might come from her checking me and I have been pretty adament about low intervention/checks.
Just wondering what you all think/would do?

Lucky Mommy to 1 awesome 5 yr old son , 1 strong minded 19 month old baby girl ::, and 1 beloved angel baby
#140 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 04:09 PM

QoC- Sounds wonderful!!! Your body is doing what it needs to!!! Keep doing your baby come out script and your visualize your birth script too...that should help. Lots of labor vibes coming your way (I don't need them yet!)!!!!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#141 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 05:03 PM

Steve's Sweety, since you asked... I probably wouldn't get checked. Especially if you haven't gotten the results from your GBS test yet. If you are positive, any extra checks are just going to make you more suseptible to infection. And you are right, knowing where you are at that point isn't going to indicate how much longer you have till "D" day. I know sometimes curiosity wins out, but if you are basing it on pure logic, I'd keep the hands off my cervix.

Speaking of GBS, I'm still agonizing over my ultimate antibiotic decision. I plan to devote some prayer/journaling time to the matter this weekend and hopefully I'll reach a decision. What would be just really wonderful is if I had such a fast labor that my midwife wouldn't have time to administer them at all. I'd like the decision to just be taken out of my hands. But that's not the way parenting typically works...so I'll continue to agonize.

QoC, sounds like you are progressing! That's wonderful news and I'm glad you feel better about your situation. Having the baby so low is really great.

My platelett counts are up a lot! Yay! I still have to go in next week to have them tested again. But it seems like the extra alfalfa must be doing some good.

Okay, well, back to work. Have a great weekend all and here's hoping some babies come on out.
#142 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, crapstick. I finished my course of Macrobid and now I have symptoms again and "pus cells" in my urine sample. The doc put me on a 10-day course of amoxycillin, which is at least safe for breastfeeding.

I have GOT to get this baby out. Despite all my bathroom gymnastics, I cannot completely empty my bladder and it is basically functioning as a petri dish at this point. I can't believe that after all these months of suffering through stuffy noses and body aches, I am drugging my baby NOW. Aaaaaaargh.

#143 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie
Well, crapstick. I finished my course of Macrobid and now I have symptoms again and "pus cells" in my urine sample. The doc put me on a 10-day course of amoxycillin, which is at least safe for breastfeeding.
YUCK! so sorry!

I just heard back from my OB office. I have to go in and give 3 stool samples to check me for the e coli : uh-yeah! because I can sooo see down there to poop into a little cup!

and the day just keeps getting better and better!

Jessica-
#144 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 07:11 PM

Never mind ..Feeling embarrassed about not being welcomed after posting so late in the game, especially after someone's mention about you all knowing one another "all these months". Sorry for the presumption; good luck and peaceful birthing to all.
#145 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 07:19 PM

I hear you on the nesting urge. I clean all day and by the end of the day, you can't tell. For once I'd like to enjoy all my hard work!
#146 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseball
I think I missed the post about the rude nurse...
Yeah, I definitely didn't feel like discussing it at the time. One of the nurses was, I think, trying to comfort me that I wouldn't have anymore prodromal labor. She started off saying that next time I'd know for sure, yada, yada, yada, but ended with, "You won't be in here again until its the real thing because once you feel a real contraction its going to make your little head spin around on your shoulders." As if I hadn't had any "real" contractions after 18 hours of contractions 2-4 minutes apart and 60-90 seconds long each! I, of course, was already sobbing by that point and couldn't even respond. Not to mention that what she said goes against EVERYTHING I've been conditioning myself to accept/believe through Hypnobabies (childbirth is intense, but not painful).

#147 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 07:32 PM

What I didn't like was when I was in the hospital for a kidney infection with #1, and they were trying to give me an IV and I screamed - first, they said "What's your problem?" (I didn't think I needed to explain that it hurt, and that no one likes stuff that hurts - it seemed too obvious!) But then they said, "Well, your first contraction is going to hurt way worse." As if just because I'm going to be in a lot of pain later, they are justified in causing pain right now and I shouldn't complain.
#148 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 07:38 PM

QoC, what a rollercoaster! I am glad oyu feel better after being checked, but holy crow! 6cm and a bulging bag! Good luck having baby come really easy when it starts.

I am still trudging along. Greaseball, I have been doing the same thing, well, sort of. I have so many things I want to happen first. The LLL conference is next Friday, I am going to LA on Thursday night. I will be there until Monday...definitely do NOT want to have the baby before or during that time. Then when we come back, dh has things at work to finish for month end before he can take a continuous 2 week vacation. Oh, and we also have his work picnic on June 6th which I would rather go to pregnant, mostly because he has only told 2 people that we are having another baby. Can't wait to see their faces!!! : Seriously, I have my heart set on not having this baby early at all. I am looking forward to still being pregnant at certain times, and really feel that anytime after June 11th, when my kids get out of school, is best for me. I know, I know, I have no control over it...but still, I can hope, right????

We are planning on having a UC, and my midwife knows we may not call her until after. We had our home visit last night, and when she and her assistant arrived, dh told them, "Oh, we were supposed to cancel! We already had the baby." They said "Oh good! Then we will just coo over how beautiful it must be." It has beena bit of a joke with her. I told her I am using her for her baby scale so I know how much it weighs at birth!

I have been having the worst pubic bone pain...I think I already mentioned that. I went to the chiro today, and she did an adjustment, and now it feels much better. I don't mind the pain so much, just the shooting type pains I get occasionally.

Smithie, sorry about the UTI. Those are the worst! Do you ever get yeast infections from anti-biotics? I would suggest watching for one now especially, since yeast at birth time is miserable. Plus it can transfer to the baby during birth, and cause thrush and breastfeeding difficulties.

As far as cervical checks, my preference is to avoid them altogether. I find them disheartening, no matter what I am told. If I am told "Oh, 4cm and 80%", I am happy for a day or two, then depressed because baby hasn't come and I worry something is wrong with me. If I am told "Long, thick, barely 1 cm.", then I am depressed right after the appointment, thinking something is wrong with me. I can check my own cervix still, and even when I had my last baby, I had no "ripe" cervical changes up to an hour before I went into labor. I was so down about it. I pretty much promised myself I would not pay any attention to my cervix until I felt like pushing! I have realized that although I have had 7 babies already, I need to remember that every pregnancy is different....guess you could say I am a slow study! : :

Okay, gonna go eat dinner. Hugs to everyone, and hang in there mommas. We don't have much longer to go!
#149 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I definitely didn't feel like discussing it at the time. One of the nurses was, I think, trying to comfort me that I wouldn't have anymore prodromal labor. She started off saying that next time I'd know for sure, yada, yada, yada, but ended with, "You won't be in here again until its the real thing because once you feel a real contraction its going to make your little head spin around on your shoulders." As if I hadn't had any "real" contractions after 18 hours of contractions 2-4 minutes apart and 60-90 seconds long each! I, of course, was already sobbing by that point and couldn't even respond. Not to mention that what she said goes against EVERYTHING I've been conditioning myself to accept/believe through Hypnobabies (childbirth is intense, but not painful).
I hate know-it-all people! Especially when they are that condescending. When I had my first baby, I definitely knew when it was "real" labor.
When I had my last baby, I had about 9 hours of contractions, about 8 minutes apart, lasting about 60-90 seconds. These were NOT in any way, shape or form Braxton-Hicks contractions. After 9 hours, they stopped completely. I would get so pissed off when someone would say "Oh, they were probably just B-H." Ummm....how on earth would YOU know what they probably were?? Ugh!

Sorry to rant a bit, but I feel for you.
#150 of 167 Old 05-21-2004, 09:39 PM

Queenie, I am so glad you're feeling better! I felt the same about progessing yesterday. I feel like as long as things are moving along, even if slowly, I can deal with that. I hope you can get some rest, mentally and physically, and get past any anxiety you have left. You are so close to holding that sweet baby, it's so exciting!!

Aw Smithie, that sucks! Have you been taking cranberry capsules or juice lately?? It really helped me so much, especially when the baby was right up against my bladder. I also found that drinking LOTS of water at a time helped. I think it was that there was so much clear liquid going in it was sort of rinsing my bladder out, KWIM? It also actually made it easier to empty my bladder than when there was a tiny bit there. It makes it a bit more urgent to get to the bathroom fast, but at least I actually feel empty afterwards, until the next hour, anyway, lol!

I personally prefer to avoid cervical checks and will not be having any more unless active labor goes a really long time. I allowed the one yesterday because I really trust my MWs to be super gentle (I have a VERY sensitive cervix) and because I needed to know if all the activity and pain of the previous few days had done anything. I really needed to know that something was happening, needed the affirmation that my body and my baby know what they're doing. Now I feel like I can go past my EDD just fine, so long as I'm not in pain the whole time! I just had to get over the initial hump. Now I'm actually remembering why I wanted to go past my EDD and am starting to hope that he does wait a bit longer. Ben is kinda bummed at the thought of not getting a baby on his birthday and I realized it will suck if Dan has to go back to work just when school is over leaving me alone with a newborn and a very spirited 4 year old!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page