Baby Announcements and Stories! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 07-07-2004, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, it only took me a month to get my birth story typed up. I wrote a very long detailed version of it which you can read here

Vivian Joy was born at unmedicated in a freestanding birth center June 7, 2004 @ 4:25pm, Weighed 7lbs 2oz and was 20-1/2 inches long.

Sunday morning about 2am I had contractions about 30 seconds long and 3 minutes apart for about 3 hours and then they stopped. When I got up for work on Monday, June 7th, the start of a new workweek depressed me. I didn't have any inkling that labor might be starting. I had a few sensations and shortly when I went to the bathroom I found the bloody show. I couldn't reach DH on the phone so I rushed home.

Once I got there it was a little after 9am, I told DH the contractions were pretty strong. I thought maybe I got early labor out of the way Sunday morning and now things were really going to take off. He urged me to go ahead and call the birth center. The midwife asked me to time the contractions and either go for a walk or take a bath to see if the contractions stopped. "What I'm looking for is contractions 45 seconds long and less than 5 minutes apart."

I decided to take the walk. I thought that walking would be more likely to speed things up whereas the bath might slow them down. By 11am most of the contractions were about 45 seconds long with an occasional 30 second one in between and still averaging about 6 minutes apart. At 12:45 the midwife called to see how I was doing. I asked her whether she thought I should have MIL come to watch Owen. She advised to call MIL in half an hour if things seemed to be progressing. She asked me to check in with her in an hour. By then my MIL was here and she asked me to come up to the office and be checked. Discouraged that she just wanted to "check" me, I feared we might be sent home.

I needn't have worried, I was 7 or 8 centimeters! Once we arrived in the birthing room, the same room where my son was born, I decided I wanted to get right into the tub but I had a fever and they wouldn't let me. I was distraught that I couldn't get in the tub, afraid I wouldn't be able to cope with transition out of the water. I had lost track of time by then. After a while the midwife checked my temperature again and it was back in the acceptable range so into the tub I went! She checked me first and said I had a lip on the right side "If you lie on your left side, it'll help that open up."
Around 4:00, I felt a very strong urge to push. I was surprised that everyone was watching me but no one suggested checking my dilation. "Okay it's getting really hard to hold back," I admitted.
"Why are you holding back?" the midwife responded.

"Well you said I had a lip and I don’t want to make it worse."
"Don't worry about that, you can push if you want." So I pushed a little through the next contraction and she checked me. "Um okay we're ready to go! I put my finger in there and there was a head so not to worry about the lip!" It was 4:07 p.m.

I managed to get myself out of the tub and onto the bed. The midwife encouraged me to turn on my side. When we discussed my birth plan, she said she liked side-lying the best to avoid tearing. I was dubious but ultimately really trusted her. The rest was pretty much a blur.

On the second push I felt like the baby was on the perineum. I thought everyone was kidding when they said how fast the baby flew out. Then I realized that my digital camera captured the time down to the second. The baby's head crowned at 4:23:28 and she was on my chest at 4:24:12. The midwife used lots of oil and a compress. Once the head was out, I yelled out, "I can't stop pushing!" Apparently, her cord was around her neck and her hand was by her chin but still I only suffered a tiny tear near my urethra. As she flew out, I grabbed her as fast as I could. I was so happy. As far as I know I was the first one to know her sex. I looked under the towel she was in and my head fell back in disbelief. I had my little girl. She was covered pretty tickly in vernix and she had barely any molding since she came out so quickly.

Tamara
#32 of 40 Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 PM

Congrats Tamara!! Great birth story!
#33 of 40 Old 07-08-2004, 03:53 PM

Lillian Eloise’s Birth Story

We had decided to use Hynobabies for the birth of our third child. I had been having surges(Hypno for contractions) on and off for a couple of weeks. Although my guess date was June 21st I felt all along that she would be early but I really hoped that Lily wouldn’t be born until after the 13th, which is her sister’s birthday. On the 14th I woke up with some mild surges that felt like the Braxton hicks that I had been having. I got Lauren & Maddie ready and we went for a walk around the neighborhood, then we ate lunch and I took Lauren to school. I went back home and got everything ready for Lauren’s party at school and checked my e-mail. I realized around 1:00 that my surges were starting to come at regular intervals so I called Mark and gave him a heads up. We agreed that he would meet me at home after I picked Lauren up from school and he would drive us to the chiropractor’s. I put our bags into the car and went to take Lauren’s birthday snack to school and then return home. Mark met us at home and we all went to the chiropractor’s to get adjusted. My surges were still about 8 to 10 minutes apart but were growing in intensity. We got home made dinner and called my mom to pick up the girls. I came to peace with my decision to NOT have Lauren present at the birth mainly because she was driving me crazy with her constant talking! After the girls left Mark started to really time the surges and we found that they were around 6 to 9 minutes apart. We called our doctor/midwives office to see who was on call and it was a doctor from the other practice who I didn’t know. I was bummed because I really wanted my midwife or doctor. We decided to relax for a little bit and around 7:00 we headed into the hospital. Our doula Chris met us there and we settled in. Around 8:00 the nurse (Marge) checked me and said I was only 1 – 2 centimeters and 50% effaced and that she wasn’t convinced that this was the start of anything. Although I was a bit bummed by this I knew that this was the real thing and soon I’d be holding my little one in my arms. We relaxed and Mark suggested that I listen to a fear release and see if that helped move things along. Not long after I felt things start to change and I soon felt the need to throw up occasionally (my reaction to the birth process). During each surge I would just close my eyes and say to myself “peace and anesthesia, open, open, open” At 10:30 my nurse asked to check me once again and I agreed and I was 4 + and 90 % effaced with a bulging bag of waters and I was officially admitted. Time gets kinda foggy from now until the birth. I remember at one point just saying to Mark and Chris that I just wanted to go to sleep. I kept changing positions going from the birth ball to the birthing stool to finally sitting on the bed leaning against Mark. While I was leaning against Mark I was falling asleep in between surges. I kept my switch in the center position. Around 2:30 am Chris suggested that I get up and go to the bathroom. I was reluctant because I was so comfortable and I think deep down I was waiting for my midwife to come on at 7:00 am. When I stood up I had a HUGE surge and remarked to Chris that this was a bad idea! I made it into the bathroom but I don’t think I ever actually peed. Mark followed me in and shortly after I got in there I yelled I’M PUSHING!! Poor Mark I did it to him again! He pushed the panic button (I didn’t realize it at the time he told me later) and all of a sudden there were a bunch of people in the bathroom with me. Marge kept telling me that I needed to get of the potty NOW and I told her I couldn’t. The doctor and Mark ended up having me put an arm around them and they led me back to the room where I collapsed on the bed on all fours. I didn’t find this position comfortable and told Mark that I wanted to have him behind me again. I felt great comfort having him behind me. So with much effort I switched positions. The doctor kept asking if anyone knew if I was complete and I remember telling him “well I’m freaking pushing so it doesn’t matter does it??” When he checked he said “there’s the head” and I responded “well DUH!” He must have thought I was a peach! I then really started pushing and the urge just took over. It was a truly out of body experience for me. I started to sing with every urge to push and remember hearing myself hit a high note! Someone, Chris I think, told me to reach down and feel the baby’s head and when I did I was just giddy! The nurse told me I needed to scooch down a little because I was sitting up too high and then shortly after told me that we needed to get that baby out because the head was stuck. The next push she was out. It was like the pushes before that were just ”playing” and then all of a sudden I needed to get serious and bam out she came at 3:07 am on June 15th weighing 8 pounds 14 ounces and was 19 ¾ inches long! We let the cord stop pulsating and Mark cut the cord. The doctor left the room and started paper work while Mark and I snuggled our new little angel. A few minutes later I felt the urge to push again and after a couple of pushes out came the placenta, much to the nurse’s surprise. She didn’t realize that I was pushing again. We got to look at the placenta (my first time in three births) and the doctor came back in and checked me out and said I had a little tear and would need one stitch, so I handed Lily off to Mark and they snuggled skin to skin while I got stitched up and cleaned up. I found out later that the doctor had read my entire birth plan and was afraid to speak during the birth. Although I was so worried about him attending my birth in the end he was FANTASTIC and very supportive of how we wanted to do things. I’m so pleased that my last birth turned out so well.
#34 of 40 Old 07-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Banned

Our original labor plan was to be together as a family until my labor got intense, then Matt would take Tain somewhere until I was pushing. When I started pushing, my mom or Kirsten (my best friend) would call him home and hopefully they would make it shortly after the baby was born. We had decided that Rowan would be born on Saturday, June 26 since my labor support (my mom and Kirsten) were flying in on Thursday. We kept telling Rowan that Saturday was his birthday and I did lots of opening visualizations. This method worked well for Tain, he only missed his target day by 2 hours, so I figured it couldn’t hurt to try it again.

I had been having practice ctx for about a month so it is hard to say exactly when my labor started. I know that around 11:30 pm on Friday, June 25 I asked Matt to time them for a while. They were coming every 11 minutes so around 12:15 I decided to try to sleep and see if they went away or not. I woke around 3 am to go to the bathroom and laid back down, but they were keeping me from sleeping so I got up around 3:45 am. At 4:00 I woke Kirsten and we went for a walk. They intensified toward the end of the walk and I was ready to be inside by 5:00 am. Around 5:20 they were coming every 3 min and, while I could talk through them, it wasn’t comfortable to do so so I called my midwife, Lori. She and I talked for a few minutes and decided that I would call her when things got a little heavier. By 6 am they had really slowed down so I went back to bed. I checked my cervix and it was still long, but I could feel the bag of water bulging through it slightly. I never thought that I could check myself with my first birth, so this was a very strange and awesome feeling.

I woke at 8 am and the rest of the house was up by 8:30. Lori had called around then, but we didn’t notice until later because we had turned the ringer off. Matt called her back and told her things had slowed down and we’d call if they picked up again. I don’t remember what my ctx were like after I got up, I had them but for the remainder of the day I didn’t bother to time them. I just floated through the day, hanging out with my family: my mom, Kirsten, Matt and Tain. I took a bath for a while, got out and wandered around the house, chatted, watched some TV. I ate and drank frequently. Matt was supposed to work at 4:30 pm that day and after some discussion we decided he should go ahead and go and I would call him home if I needed to. He originally thought he’d come back at 6:30, but with the way things were going, I didn’t think it would be that fast.

I decided to get in the bath again around 4 pm since they were making me uncomfortable (I had just put Tain down for a nap and even nursed him down!). Matt left for work and I asked my mom to time them for me since we hadn’t done that all day and I wanted to see if they were regular at all. Before Matt left he suggested I take a walk when I got out of the bath. I sat in the bath for about an hour, my mom timing them at about 9 minutes apart and me starting to vocalize a little. She talked to me a little about whether or not to shut my eyes and suggested I focus on relaxing my forehead during the ctx. She suggested I get out and walk around a bit. Since everyone seemed so convinced I needed to get out, I decided I might as well. I checked my cervix and it was thin and more open, but still very there and the bag of water was bulging more. I figure I was around 4 cm or so.

The ctx came on fast and heavy as soon as I got up-4 minutes apart and lots of vocalizing. My mom told me to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. Then she, Kirsten, and I had some friendly banter about whether or not they should be telling me how to breathe and whether or not it made a difference (I didn’t notice one). It became a little joke about my breathing and taking a cleansing breath at the end of the ctx so everyone else could tell I was done. I exaggerated it a bit and it helped keep the mood light. I don’t think the whole breathing thing really mattered physiologically, but it did help me stay on top of the ctx by not focusing on them so much. Mom also wanted to make sure I wasn’t shutting my eyes-she asked me what I was focusing on after one ctx and I told her “did you know that there are 15 calories in a teaspoon of sugar?” I had been reading the sugar bag on our counter. Everyone laughed. It could have been annoying, but it wasn’t. It was nice to have these women that knew me so well with me when things got intense. There was a feeling of ease and happiness in the room. Though I didn’t want them touching me, having them there to laugh with and talk to, just to know they were in the room, kept my labor so serene.

At 5:15 pm my mom called Lori and told her she should probably come over and check things out. My brother came over and we decided to have him take Tain for a while since he had just woken up from his nap and my labor was getting heavy. A little before 6:00 I told my labor support to call Matt and tell him to come home at 6:30. Right after that Lori arrived and told me she only had to do 2 things: listen to the heartbeat and check me to see if she needed to call her assistant. I asked her if I had to lie down and she told me yes so we waited out the next ctx then raced to the bed. She listened to Rowan’s heart, then I got up through another ctx, then back down for a quick check. I was at 9 cm!! I felt so glad since the ctx had started to make me shake and I wanted to cry after every one, though I couldn’t figure out why. It wasn’t the pain or even the memory of the pain, just a strange raw emotion that I still can’t describe.

Matt got home at 7 pm and I felt such a sense of relief. I had no idea I would want him that badly, but I can’t express how much I needed him when he walked in the door. He held me through a couple ctx, telling me how strong I was and that I should welcome them and say yes (thanks, Vanita). Then he said he was going to go be with Tain and I almost lost it. I KNEW Tain was fine with Dale and I knew I couldn’t do the rest of the birth without Matt. All that came out was “Please don’t leave me. Please.” He stayed. I had him sit in my chair and I got down on my knees, leaning on his lap. I had a few really strong ctx and I just had to push to get through them. The pushing was harder than it was with Tain, I felt like I was splitting! I think that I wasn’t quite as ready as I was with Tain or the position I was in wasn’t as optimal. The pushing itself helped with the pain, but I didn’t allow my body to relax and open as much. Silly, since I had planned my whole pregnancy to take the pushing with this one slower. One ctx and I could feel his head come out, Lori had me wait while she checked for the cord, then another strong push and his shoulders were out-they were hard to push out like the head was. But suddenly he was out and my body felt so released! They told me to reach down and get my baby and there he was under me. With Tain, I couldn’t feel him progress out of me, when they told me he was here I thought they meant his head, but with Rowan I could feel him move down and then each part of him come out. It was amazing.

I was only holding him a few minutes when I felt the placenta slide out. I didn’t have any ctx or pushing for that, just this slippery feeling as it emerged. I said “Here comes the placenta” and I handed it to Lori who was still right next to me. She said that was the first time the mom had ever handed her the placenta. She also said that it was the healthiest placenta she had seen in a long time. I felt pretty proud. I was introduced to Jan, the assistant, who had come in sometime after Matt got home and before I started pushing. It was the first time I saw her face.

I held Rowan and he nursed right away. I loved being able to fully look at him instead of lying down and not being able to see him on my chest well. I loved being able to look at Matt as I held our new son. Eventually I turned around and leaned against Matt’s legs, and Tain came home. It was perfect timing, I wasn’t even dressed yet, but all the birth stuff that would have scared him was over. My mom stalled them at the door while I put on a nightgown (my brother was still with him) and then Tain got to meet his brother. He was fascinated, pointing out his eyes and ears and mouth, his hands and feet; giving me drinks of juice and in general being very lovey.

After a while they transferred me to the bedroom and checked me out. One tiny tear not worth stitching and two small skid marks. Not bad for fast pushing. Lori started going over the postpartum instruction sheet with me. About halfway through, I just glazed. I was suddenly so tired. It was about 8:30 pm. I thought I would want to dress Rowan myself, but I am so glad someone else did it for me because I was in a total fog by then. I invited my mom to cut the cord. She was so delighted, out of five children and ten other grandchildren, this was the first time she was cutting a cord. I was so happy for her I thought my heart would burst.

We were finally able to sleep around 9:00 pm. Later on Matt and Tain came to bed and we all slept together as a family for the first time.

http://share-photocenter.bestbuy.com...EeBMXDJw5ctXdQ
#35 of 40 Old 07-08-2004, 07:26 PM

Beautiful stories!!!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#36 of 40 Old 07-09-2004, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I finally finished writing out my birth story. I've posted it on a webpage, it's super long

Kieran's Birth

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#37 of 40 Old 07-09-2004, 11:11 AM

Wow Robin! That was incredible!
#38 of 40 Old 07-14-2004, 09:22 AM

Just thought I would pop in and announce the birth of my beautiful son, Michael Banyan. Banyan was born at home June 29th and weighed 9 lb. 15-1/2 ounces. I didn't have to resort to b/b cohosh after all...he just came when he felt darn good and ready. Thank you all for such a great experience as we awaited our little babies together.

~Laura
#39 of 40 Old 07-14-2004, 05:52 PM

Congratulations Laura!!
#40 of 40 Old 07-20-2004, 12:41 AM

Congrats to all of you, and what beautiful birth stories to read!! As tough as some of the births were, the stories are so positive. They are full of strong women taking back the power to birth the way we want, making tough choices when events go differently that we expected, and coming out even stronger. I am so happy to have shared this all with you.

I posted the link to my birth story on the Life with a Babe forum. It took quite a while to write and will take a while to read, too, I suppose.
I wanted to post it here, officially on our birth stories thread...
www.family.mother-birth.com (Braden's birth story)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page