Allright, darn it, I'm going to CD - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 78 Old 07-01-2004, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I worry when Andrea falls asleep with CDs on, though. I don't want to wake her up to change her, but then she goes for hours wearing the same diaper and no special gel blobs to take the moisture away. Is that unhealthy? But what can I do; put her in a sposie when I think she is going to fall asleep?
#62 of 78 Old 07-01-2004, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we have really, really soft water so I rinse the diapers twice after the regular cycle's rinse. I also rinse his clothes twice and when I have time, ours. We have to be careful with detergent amounts, too. I wash the diaperaps covers in with his clothes, and have a wee clothesline above the laundry machines in the garage. It is so hot in there this time of year the covers on their dedicated line dry really fast.
Remembered just to fold the reg size diaper in fourths, not thirds, and it fits better in the nb size cover and he doesn't look so engulfed. After all the cord angst I forgot that was how I was using them in the first place. I have given up on trying to keep this weird stub dry. I clean it with betadine and if the mw can't cut it I will see a ped to have it cauterized or silver nitrated or whatever. It's very strange, but I had to have a modicum of convenience in diapering!
#63 of 78 Old 07-01-2004, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Greaseball, I'm sure every baby is different, but James could spend all day in a wet dipe without getting a rash. I say, don't borrow trouble. If a problem develops you are sure to spot it.

I use a sposie at night in an attempt to keep MYSELF dry - it has nothing to do with the baby.
#64 of 78 Old 07-03-2004, 10:58 AM

Well, I had collected mostly small sized diapers and a few newborns, and every last one of them is huge! We only have two diapers that fit her at this point; a preemie sized Fuzzi Bunz and a small Happy Heiney's with overlapping tabs. And the rise on that is still a bit high! I've been able to use a newborn sized prowrap cover on her, but it's big enough that I can't get the tabs to work right for her all the time. The big problem is the diapers themselves; even the infant sized prefolds are so huge that her little tush and legs are up in the air when I put one on her that's folded small enough to fit into a cover. And to think, I wanted to use Eli's premium sized diapers on her! She's super tiny!

At any rate, if I find it difficult to get diapers on her, Mike finds it impossible. So we bought some preemie & newborn sized sposies for her. Good grief, they're expensive; I'd forgotten how much those darned things cost! I'm totally irritated by this, but I just wasn't expecting Rivkah to weigh less than 8 pounds, to say nothing of less than 7. *sigh*

On the up side, Eli seems to be gaining weight at a remarkable clip, and no longer looks skinny at all, but like a very healthy little boy! He's actually got a few (not many) medium sized covers which are too small for him! I think he might be 25 pounds, and that's very exciting to me. I guess I'm going to have to look at larges after all! :LOL He's nearly out of diapers at this point, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#65 of 78 Old 07-03-2004, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Rynna, have you ever seen a NB sized Kushies AIO? They were the teensiest ones I had, and since they didn't need to be stuffed, the fit was much better on his tiny butt. I would send you mine, but have already promised them to an expectant mama I know IRL...

ETA: I got a lot of 5 used on Ebay. If Rivkah's a 6-pounder now, I imagine the cost would be comparable to buying NB sposies until she's out of that size.
#66 of 78 Old 07-03-2004, 02:46 PM

Rynna,
I had the same problem with Landen...he is long and very skinny, and the only thing that fit well on him were my Kissaluvs size 0. We didn't use covers at all for about the first 10 days. Personally, I love wool soakers. I have a small Aristocrat that is big on him, but I don't have to worry about velcro or snaps not fitting right. Everything is properly covered.

Greaseball, I do not change Landen at night anymore. He is in a hemp or an organic sherpa fitted with a doubler and a wool cover, either a wool soaker like and Aristocrat or a wool jersey side snap cover. This combination keeps his clothes and my bed dry, and is all natural. If you don't mind using polyester, you can use a microfleece liner next to baby's skin to keep them feeling dry.
#67 of 78 Old 07-03-2004, 02:47 PM

All of our small dipes go halfway up Andrea's back. The fuzzibunz aren't as bad as some of the others, so we use mostly those. But the really nice FMBG I got isn't even close to fitting yet. I want her to GROW!!!
#68 of 78 Old 07-03-2004, 02:47 PM

Also wanted to add....Landen was 9lb 4oz at birth, and he can still fit into newborn size dipes at 4 weeks. Most of my other kids were at least out of newborn size everything by this age, and a lot of size small as well.
#69 of 78 Old 07-03-2004, 06:06 PM

I'm so bummed because my monster babe (who is now almost 12 lbs at 3.5 wks!) has grown out of our NB fleece aio's and he hasn't even worn some of them!! I've got 2 darling AngelWraps QDAIO's in XS and he has only worn one for a couple of hours and never even wet it (which is a good thing, cause we EC, but STILL!!) The lame thing is I made all the others (super cute with tabs like HB's in pocket style) and when I was making the pattern the wings seemed too long so I cut them down; if I'd left them alone they'd be perfect! Oh, well, at least I can list them on the TP and try to get a little of my $$ back!

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#70 of 78 Old 07-05-2004, 06:57 PM

Okay...I totally missed this thread until today so I just read through all of it and this totally cracked me up....

Quote:
I'm not sure I "like" the gel stuff either - but I bow before its power.
:LOL
#71 of 78 Old 07-05-2004, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

We had another couple over for the 4th, and we experimented to see how much our new Size 1 sposies will hold. We gave up at 24 ounces of water. Then we cut it open to see what the stuff looked like. It leaves a residue on the hands - yuck!
#72 of 78 Old 07-06-2004, 09:54 PM

i'll be honest, i don't change wet diapes at night, she stays in her newborn prefolds & covers w/o much leakage. as far as i notice, anyway...we sleep on a waterproof pad due to my milk leaking everywhere.

tamara
#73 of 78 Old 07-08-2004, 04:23 AM

well, we've finished with our gentian violet, but the rash isnt gone yet. I put cloth on him yeterday an d the rash went from barely noticable to red and angry again. back to sposies
about nighttimes, I think once we can get back to cloth we might continue to sposie nuighttime. I dont like them and I dont want them, but it has been nice waking up mostly dry. Braden sleeps on top of a toddler prefold in an effort to keep a dry bed. Milk wets the top, but his diaper tends to overflow and soak the bottom, sheets and bed underneath. the last few nights in sposies the diaper overflow has not soaked through the prefold, and the circle of wet is much smaller around his butt. So he still wets more than the dipe will hold, but im not laying in a mini puddle o pee... YaY for that!
#74 of 78 Old 07-08-2004, 02:10 PM

I don't know how ya'll with fewer diapers are managing! I have six dozen prefolds and in this newborn period I am *still* washing twice a week. I didn't have cloth in the newborn pd with my daughter, so once I got them I was really only washing once a week. Having to cadge a ride to a laundromat in the Catskills made that a necessity.

There's a waterproof pad on the floor next to the bed that holds the nighttime wet diapers, so in the morning I toss them in the bin (that is about two feet away). There's quite a pile this morning! I have this whole little system worked out and it works because our bed is just a mattress on the floor; Saturday, however, our new king sized bed with box springs arrives and I will have to rearrange everything!

I used milsoft, an industrial softener, on the diapers' first rinse the other day, as they were getting pilled and the dryer gets them *so* dry. It doesn't seem to have interfered with absorbency.
#75 of 78 Old 07-08-2004, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

I have been using about 12 dipes in rotation and washing every other day, which works because I am SAH right now and MIL is here to help. It may not work forever. My dipes live downstairs in a box under the coffee (i.e. changing) table.
#76 of 78 Old 07-09-2004, 03:43 AM

I have a gorgeous basket that a friend gave us when Braden was born that is full of dipes, covers and wipes right now. Its the perfect size and fits neatly in the corner made by our couch and loveseat or tucks on the bottom shelf of our coffee table. I usually change Braden on the couch right next to it, and Zack in the floor next to the table, so the wipes stay on the bottom shelf where I can reach them from either side.
I have two doz infants, which is what i will be able to use on him once I can again, and almost 2 doz preemie. At first I was doing a load every day. I wash anything of his with dipes though, so often the load had a couple blankets, half dozen burp rags and two outfits in it along with dipes Its not really tough to keep up with, its part of teh nighttime routine for momma to take out the dipes and start the rinse. Then I get ready for bed and put them on the wash. In the morning I put them in the dryer and in the afternoon, when I remember them (and the rest of my laundry) again, I pull them out.
#77 of 78 Old 01-12-2005, 09:35 PM

I too am lurking from the July board, but I am July 1st, so I am starting to get pretty excited. My problem is that my mom has sewn hundreds if not thousands of Sugar Peas diapers (I used to co-own that company and my mom has continued sewing) so DH was like, if you see a diaper you like, you show your mom a pick and have her make you one. Which is true. So, my mom is making me a bunch of diapers (not sugar peas pattern, just basic fitted diapers). BUT, I did find these really cute knitted soakers called BJs marketplace. I love knitted soakers (covers, whatever) so I will be getting one of those. I just love cloth diapers. I have tried almost all of them. Just something about getting my hands on those cute, snuggly diapers.... I even love prefolds. LOL I want some dyed prefolds. I hate to tell DH but I just can't help myself, there will be secret diaper orders happening soon.

Emily
#78 of 78 Old 01-13-2005, 02:14 AM

I love BJs! I didn't understand what the point of a soaker was, since it couldn't fit under clothes, but the designs were so cute I just wanted to try one. Now I have 3 soakers and 3 longies. And BJs are about half the price of all the other brands!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page