June 20-26 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 06-24-2004, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yep, I just now tried some. It probably would have been better to do it soon after the birth. It was kind of a gloppy mess. I cooked a bite and it was somewhat better - tasted like rare steak - but it had that blood aftertaste.

I was just trying it out of curiosity. Now I know.
#32 of 54 Old 06-24-2004, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Donna--good luck on your growth!

I just all the pictures...keep them coming!

We are doing well...dealing with jaundice right now. I've had to take Isabella in yesterday and today for bilirubin level checks. they are going to decide this afternoon what we are going to do depending on what the numbers are....going higher or lower. It goes from her head all the way down to her knees.

She is down to 7lb10oz now...nursing is going well...but I don't think she is eating often enough. Most of the time it is every 3-4 hours...I've tried waking her up sooner to eat and she just goes right back to sleep. Compared with my last experiences with BF, this is way better though and she only has had to have less than 3 oz of supplementation!! No blisters or bleeding either so we are pretty happy.

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!
#33 of 54 Old 06-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Banned

yay, my mom is here! She was so thrilled to see us and she said she would be honored to cut ds's hair for me

Donna-can you request anesthesia that won't be detrimental to Landen? Just wondering how much would be in your milk if you were still out of it when he needed to nurse. Is your doctor receptive to your mothering needs? Glad you aren't concerned about cancer, that word is so scary! What would happen if you didn't have a thyroid anymore? I thought your thyroid was pretty important. Sorry if this is too intrusive, I don't mean it to be. I'm sending you lots of healthy, support vibes!!!

I'm glad I am not the only one to feel that way about dhs and babies. I almost didn't post it b/c I felt like I sounded like a harpy! Speaking of...dh is home so I'll go talk to him about it. Interesting. He said that he didn't think there was a whole lot we could have done differently to facilitate bonding. He said that the best advice he could give is to NOT "let him find his own way" i.e. leave baby with daddy when baby is crying and let daddy try to find a way to soothe it (unless daddy really wants to). He said it feels like you are being abandoned with no skills or tools to soothe the baby and you know your wife is irritated that you can't soothe the baby and that it makes you not want to be with the baby alone. It is a lot of stress and fear. It reminded me of our first pp checkup with the mw at the office. I went to pee in a cup and dh was with ds in the room with the mw while she checked him out. Ds was VERY unhappy with that and I returned to a screaming baby and a dh that was pouring sweat and looked about ready to have a coronary. Not exactly a warm fuzzy. So if you see your dh really struggling, let him know it is okay to not have all the answers and that he doesn't have to be superdad right away (that will come later ).
#34 of 54 Old 06-24-2004, 07:19 PM

Donna- I had half of my thyroid removed in October of 2002 when my middle baby was 9 months old. Luckily my nodule came back benign and I now take a fairly high dose of syntroid. The surgery was pretty easy and recovery was pretty quick too. I had my surgery on a thursday so that dh could take 2 days off from work and then we would have the weekend too. By Monday I was feeling pretty good. The only real downside to the whole thing is that I have to have my levels checked every couple of months to make sure my synthroid is at the correct level, I hate having my blood drawn and my arm looks like a cushion. I'm sure you know this but tyroid cancer has a VERY high cure rate. Good luck and let us know when you go in for your surgery.
#35 of 54 Old 06-24-2004, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjule
Donna-can you request anesthesia that won't be detrimental to Landen? Just wondering how much would be in your milk if you were still out of it when he needed to nurse. Is your doctor receptive to your mothering needs? Glad you aren't concerned about cancer, that word is so scary! What would happen if you didn't have a thyroid anymore? I thought your thyroid was pretty important. Sorry if this is too intrusive, I don't mean it to be. I'm sending you lots of healthy, support vibes!!!
Not intrusive at all Julie

I am not really worried about the anesthesia, actually. I mean, my sil had a general with her c-sections, and she was able to nurse her babies when she woke up. I am more concerned about the after surgery meds and the actual time I will be in the OR. I nursed my 2nd dd as soon as I woke up from having my wisdom teeth pulled. But, yes, I would definitely ask for anesthesia that is most compatible with breastfeeding. And yes, my doc is very receptive to my choices....we spoke about it for a long time, and the only instance he said a true interruption and possible weaning would be recommended is if it is cancer and I need chemo and/or radiation.

Your thyroid is very important. Among other things, it regulates your metabolism. They are planning on removing half of mine. The other half could produce enough thyroid hormone for me, but he said what would probably happen is that it would over-produce, which is one of the ways these growths occur. So I would be on thyroid meds for life instead, so my thyroid doesn't overstimulate (Or something like that.....I am not very god at explaining it). I have more research to do!

Thanks for the good vibes.
#36 of 54 Old 06-24-2004, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmommy
Donna- I had half of my thyroid removed in October of 2002 when my middle baby was 9 months old. Luckily my nodule came back benign and I now take a fairly high dose of syntroid. The surgery was pretty easy and recovery was pretty quick too. I had my surgery on a thursday so that dh could take 2 days off from work and then we would have the weekend too. By Monday I was feeling pretty good. The only real downside to the whole thing is that I have to have my levels checked every couple of months to make sure my synthroid is at the correct level, I hate having my blood drawn and my arm looks like a cushion. I'm sure you know this but tyroid cancer has a VERY high cure rate. Good luck and let us know when you go in for your surgery.
OH SANDI!!!!! Thank you so much for posting that! I really appreciate knowing someone who has gone through this.

And yes, I have been told that thyroid is one of the best types of cancer as far as cure rates. However, dh used to work with a wonderful woman who died from thyroid cancer, so of course that is what we both keep thinking about.

Thank you again for sharing that with me.
#37 of 54 Old 06-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Banned

Thanks for answering all my questions

Just a big for you this morning!

Sooooo, Kirsten was flying Sacramento to Las Vegas, then Las Vegas to Denver. Well, as ppl were lining up to check in at Vegas, they told them the flight had been cancelled! She isn't much of a flyer so she was pretty freaked. The airport ended up putting her on another airline, but instead of leaving LV at 5:15, she had to leave at 10:00. Then that one was delayed. Bottom line is that I finally saw her face at the Denver airport around 1:45 am this morning. Luckily I had not napped with Tain so dh watched him while I slept from 8:30 pm to around 11:30. So I am not super tired today. For some reason driving in the car last night sent excruciating pain through my lower back-similar to what I imagine back labor is like, only this was muscular. As soon as I would get out it would go away. It was really weird since general sitting doesn't do that. I was having pretty strong ctx by the time we got home but per usual, they fizzled out. It was starting to feel like labor but I am glad it wasn't-Kirsten had 2 hrs of sleep the night before and my mom has my 1 yo niece for the next day or so so it would have been really bad timing. Rowan definitely feels lower, though, and either sex had interesting results the next day or I lost some of my mucus plug. I think I am going to ask the mw to check me today b/c I tried to check myself last night and things have shifted in there. Mostly her checking me is purely educational for my benefit. It's nice to have a better understanding of what I feel when I check. She is super supportive of that, too. She says every woman should know what her cervix is like.

Anyway, I need to jump in the shower and make a plan for Tain. He plays so well with others but for some reason he is so mean to his cousin! She can't touch anything, and I mean ANYTHING without him throwing a huge fit and pushing or hitting. She is an easy baby-happy, not grabby, doesn't retaliate. It is frustrating b/c I really don't understand what his problem is. Anyone have any insight? Anyway, I don't want to be mediating at the appt today, but I really want to take my mom to meet the mw so I am going to beg dh to keep Tain here with him while I go. We'll see how many favors I can ask before he falls apart
#38 of 54 Old 06-25-2004, 03:56 PM

Julie- I bet Tain is sensing that your birthing time is close at hand. I noticed the type of behavior that you mentioned in both of my girls intensify this last time a day or two before Lily was born. Hopefully it just means you will be meeting your little one soon!! Sending Saturday birthing vibes to you!
#39 of 54 Old 06-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Banned

you all are so awesome! I hope that is it. Now that everyone is here, I am so ready to meet this little guy!
#40 of 54 Old 06-25-2004, 08:57 PM

Hello all! Donna, been thinking about you. Hope the thyroid thing turns out to be nothing. I hope you've been able to focus on that new baby instead of thinking too much about the "What if's". Anyway, it sounds really hard. On another note, I loved your birth story and all the photos. Thanks for sharing.

Julie, I hope your little one arrives soon! So glad all your support people made it. Ryanna, where are you? Hope you're still hanging in there.

Things here are a little better. I had one day this week that was just awful with me crying most of the day...just feeling so overwhelmed. DH goes back to work on Monday. But I've got a friend coming over with her kids to keep DD entertained and my Mom is coming that night. It's either going to be a big help or total overkill (the my Mom part). My DD has REALLY been getting on my nerves. So whiney and really quite obnoxious. Okay, got to go. She's torturing the dog.
#41 of 54 Old 06-26-2004, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Jules, for a sewing machine for Tain, try Googling for "Mattel Sew Perfect" This was my first machine and you can find them for about $10 - $30 used (or sometimes NIB for more $$) Oh, and the ring wrap is so awesome with a newborn!! I've gotta dye up the other half of my fabric and make a second one to keep in the car, I just love it!

Grease, LOL at the placenta taste!! Mine got sent to the pathology lab, just like Ben's did. Lying in the ER after the birth it seemed much less important to save it than I'd thought it would. Of course we just got a bill from the lab and have to send in our insurance info. Flipping EMT's taking us to the wrong hospital! Everything will get paid by our HMO in the end, our Dr promised us she'd get it all approved, but, in the meantime, we have to deal with letters from everyone asking for money until it all gets straightened out and paid.

We had a nice visit from our MW's on Wed. They said everything looks great and my stitches are healing well (had 2nd degree tear from monster head flying out of me ) They want to see us again in 2 wks cause they feel like they haven't had a chance to take care of me since I was in the NICU for 2 weeks. As much as I loved and trusted them before, I am just amazed by how much they have taken care of us through this.

We also took Kieran in to see our Family Dr for his 2 week check. He's up to 10 lbs 8 oz and has grown an inch and a half! Remembered again why I love our Dr; she asked "circ??" I said "no", she said "good!" Only issues he has are his cord isn't healed yet, they put alcohol on it a lot in the NICU and the top is dried but it's practically raw underneath. She's letting us try goldenseal this week but will have to use silver nitrate if it isn't better by Wed. It is so hard to get that powder under the dry part. I'd really wanted to use nothing on it, or just the goldenseal, and I get so pissed that they used alcohol. He alos has a spinal dimple, and she couldn't find the bottom of it to be sure it's sealed so she'll check it in a week and maybe do an U/S to make sure it's all OK. She isn't very concerned since he's got such strong legs, but, as she says, it's her job to worry

Ben has been doing pretty well this week, been just about as obnoxious as he's been for the past 6 months anyway I'm glad he doesn't seem to be negatively affected by our new addition, but his usual drama is so much more annoying and frustrating to us now. Oh, and he's had a HUGE growth spurt in the past month since his birthday; we weighed him at the Dr's on Wed and he's up to 48 lbs! He was just 43 a month ago!! He's almost 5 times bigger than Kieran!! It can be really hard to see the sweet little baby inside this huge 4 year old.

We went and saw Harry Potter today. Ben spent his Friday at my parent's so we stuck the babe in the sling and had a date. It went really well, he jumped a teeny bit when the music got loud but otherwise slept/nursed through. We'd never tried it with Ben, we were way to nervous about bothering anyone with baby noise, but this was really relaxed. We might go again next month to see Spiderman.

OK, Babe will be waking soon to nurse so I'd better finish up. Hope you're all doing well!!

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#42 of 54 Old 06-26-2004, 10:11 AM

Donna ~ Sending lots of good thoughts your way!

Julie ~ ((((( Birthing vibes )))))

We had a ROUGH day yesterday...first trip out of the house...went to the pedi and it was a BAD experienec...I will be looking for a new one asap. The one I went to is this cool hippie doc who works out of his home, does homeopathy/herbal med etc. In theory he sounded great but in reality....he saw a sick patient right before Lily and HE DID NOT WASH HIS HANDS. She came out of the room, we went into the room...no sink...no Purell...NOTHING...and (this is the worst part) he put his finger in Lily's mouth while he was examining her. I alsmost screamed. My mom was with me and when I got back in the car I was hysterically. I felt like such a bad mommy for not saying anything but I was so intimidated - I've been a mama for one week - to say something to a man who has been an MD for 25 years.

Quote:
He alos has a spinal dimple, and she couldn't find the bottom of it to be sure it's sealed so she'll check it in a week and maybe do an U/S to make sure it's all OK. She isn't very concerned since he's got such strong legs, but, as she says, it's her job to worry
Robin ~ Lily has this also. It really scared me when he explained it. My cousin has spina bifida and I was so worried when he said there might be a spinal opening. But like Kieran, Lily also has VERY strong legs and he said he thinks it is fine...we just have to check it once a day and make sure there is no fluid.

We are actually having dinner at a friend's house tonight (our first family outing) and he is a pedi (I think perhaps OUR new pedi - I'm going to talk to him tonight...we're a little concerned about mixing friendship and professional relationship, but I'll talk to him about that) and I'm going to ask him to look at her dimple.

Oh....she also had her first adjustment yesterday. That was awesome. I our chiro. She was so gentle with her and Lily nursed like I've never felt her nurse after the adjustment...and she also slept soundly all evening.

Darn...crying baby...must go relieve DH (he's been SO great but since only I have the boobies, he gets frustrated sometimes that he can't console her).

SOrry this is all about me...I'll write more later.

~Erin
#43 of 54 Old 06-26-2004, 04:03 PM

I am in total disbelief that this baby will every actually be here. Please help!

I need my mindset to change...I am 8 days past EDD now, and I was all psyched up and now I feel like it's just one big joke. I want so badly for it to start tonight and he/she to be born tomorrow...But I just don't think it is going to happen. It's playing tricks on my mind, like the logic and biological sides of me are being taunted by some other part...the fact that I know this baby HAS to be born, HAS to come out and WILL come when he/she is ready isn't really consoling me much. It's not even impatience...if I knew it would happen sometime this week, for example, I'd be fine. But I don't know!

And it's all making me feel very guilty, as if there is something I should be doing mentally or some energy I haven't given the babe yet to let him/her know that I am really ready for this. Sorry to vent, I hardly ever get to post anymore and I know this is a selfish one...it has been very nice reading about all of your new babies and I just wish I could share in that experience with you now.

~Laura
#44 of 54 Old 06-26-2004, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh Laura, I HEAR you.
#45 of 54 Old 06-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Banned

Rowan was born yesterday! It was a long labor, contrary to conventional wisdom about 2nd babies, but it was nice. With Tain it was just dh and I and it was very fast and intense. With Rowan, it was mellow (like him!)-started at 11:00 pm on Fri and didn't get active until about 5:00 pm on Sat. I got to take a nice long walk with Kirsten, I napped a few times for 2-3 hours each, I got to mellow out in the tub a couple times, spend time with my mom, Tain was here until the last hour and he wasn't scared, it was wonderful. Matt went to work and came home as I was in transition so I got to have him for the part I needed him for the most. Rowan was born after about 2 hours of active labor and 3 minutes of pushing!

I told our mw it was good we were only having 2 kids b/c I know if I had another it would totally blow my theory about having the babies on the day we decide.

Rowan Atticus weighed 7,6 19 3/4 inches long apgar 9, 10 (!!). Estimated gestational age was 40 weeks, the assistant said he almost looked postmature-his skin is really dry, almost like paper and he is peeling in a couple places. But he is really laid back (so far!) and we are doing well. I am going to get going, but I wanted to let you know that I thought about you all while I was laboring, the support you have given me, and all those great Saturday labor vibes!!!!

Now I get to go kiss a baby instead of just wishing kisses on everyone else (which I do)!

Laura-hang in there, sending you lots of labor vibes!!!!
#46 of 54 Old 06-27-2004, 12:44 PM

Wow!! Julie....you KNEW it was going to be yesterday....how cool! Congratulations mama!!! BIG hugs to you and Rowan (and Matt and Tain too)!!

Laura ~ Hang in there....you are SOOOOO close to holding your beautiful baby!!

We had our first family outing last night. Went over to friends' house for dinner. It was awesome. Lily was so quiet and calm (she made us look good :LOL ). Of course I paid for it from 2-4 a.m. when she was screeching and inconsolable...but this morning she is back to her usual mellow self.

It seems like she just *needs* to be Miss Fussy-pants at least once a day and it usually lasts an hour or two. Unfortunately the last two nights it's been in the wee hours of the morning when mommy wants to be

Happy Sunday everyone!!

~Erin
#47 of 54 Old 06-27-2004, 01:38 PM

Congrats Julie!! I was thinking about you last evening and wondering if your little guy had arrived yet! Happy Babymoon!!!
#48 of 54 Old 06-27-2004, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

YAY JULIE! WELCOME ROWAN!

James is doing his fussypants routine right now - it's pretty minor, but I can't wait until he's old enough to wear on my back so he can just watch the day go by like a little chimpanzee

DH and I tried to get, erm, back in the saddle this morning, but I still have pain where my labia tore and couldn't find a good position. Maybe next week...
#49 of 54 Old 06-27-2004, 04:01 PM

Smithie - I so want to give it a try with DH, but upon inspection yesterday, I found that the stitches I got haven't completely dissolved. I'm assuming that I should wait until they're gone... I have my six week apt this wednesday (one week early, actually, because I'll be out of town the week after) and I'll ask my midwife then. I can't wait for the go-ahead to take bubble baths again!!! And as far as babywearing, I've found that Killy loves to be in my pouch-sling IF he's sleepy. If he's wide awake he hates because he wants to be up looking at everyone...

Congrats, Julie! Three minutes of pushing?!! That's what I want next time! I've told everyone that I didn't mind LABOR at all - the contractions didn't bother me, it was the pushing part I hated.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#50 of 54 Old 06-27-2004, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Queenie, yeah, I'd definitely wait - my stitches are gone as far as I can tell, but the line of tearing just needs some more time and that's all there is to it.

James likes his Snugli and is resigned to the NN if I use it at his "good" time of day - but neither of those work really well for sitting, and I'm in front of the computer for both recreation and my job. I'm think that one of those African-style carriers would be good.
#51 of 54 Old 06-27-2004, 05:53 PM

I do have a little girl!

Sadie Rivkah was born via emergency cesearian section at 7:15 pm on Thursday. She was 6 lbs, 13 oz and 19" long, down to 6 lbs 8 oz today (homecoming!) More details and list editing to come soon, I hope to have our computer back by the end of this week.

Here she is! Last name: Lynne Secret word: Newbean

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#52 of 54 Old 06-27-2004, 06:32 PM

YAY Rynna!!! Welcome Sadie!! Happy babymoon!
#53 of 54 Old 06-28-2004, 04:46 PM

Congratulations to all the new Mamas!! I don't ever have much time to do anything other than lurk...but, YIPEE!!!!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#54 of 54 Old 06-28-2004, 05:13 PM

Congrats rynna!!! She's sooooo beautiful. Hope everything is going well for you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page