June 27-July 3! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 06-27-2004, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
weird to have to type july in there! i started a june thread in life with a babe but it hasn't had much action yet.
congratulations julie! i had a strong feeling about my boy's birthday too. it's pretty cool. i had hoped he'd be born earlier- esp since he was nine and a half pounds!- but i just knew. the day before i had a huge tantrum when dh had let the garage flood and i had a feeling that was a harbinger, perhaps of shouting to come.

my in laws met the baby yesterday! they had a rotten time getting to town and then couldn't get their rental car, so we brought the baby to their hotel to visit a while. my husband was still in chicago but we got him on the phone in the airport so he could at least hear his mom's first impressions. my niece was being a monster but she has some difficulties socially so everyone is just really patient with her. when she is an adult i plan to tell her just *how* patient.

my daughter was being really awful to me for a few days last week and i finally said something to her about it. i know it is hard for her bc we are still finishing the homeschool year and i had so hoped to be done before baby...in so florida schools have been out a month already, so she is going bananas. anyway she's been fine with everyone else but me, which i can understand, and i brought it up. i said something like it's ok if she's feeling not so great about the baby anymore, if she's jealous of him or something (she often feels very guilty about such feelings and won't bring them up) and she lost it and shouted, "i feel fine about him, i love him! it's just YOU!" i thought that was pretty funny. also i was pleased the AP stuff works cos no way could i have said that to my mom. in fact speaking frankly as an adult has led to her basically not speaking to me! she doesn't even know the baby was born yet! she gets an announcement like everyone else.

i got a fabulous new haircut the other day, like a new-person kind of haircut. i pumped two ounces of milk and had my husband take me and fretted over the baby falling out of the sling if he used it and so on but it was wonderful. good to be alone for forty minutes, too, and know the baby was just fine and so on. i told my lady to do whatever she wanted but cut it short, short. take it all away. my hairdresser is fabulous, she knew exactly what i wanted even though i didn't even try to describe it because i was afraid i'd not do a good job. i have had long hair since i was about ten except for one brief stint of short pink hair for the 1993 gay pride march on washington. it grew back quickly because i was pg with my daughter! so this is really cool. i also discovered all these clothes i had totally forgotten i had and can fit into again. unfortunately, in a way, i was a bit overweight, like ten pounds, before this pgcy and now those clothes are too big also! and will hopefully remain so. i am already at my prepregnant weight and really, really hope i can lose more without much difficulty.

but when we were getting back in the car and i took the baby back from dh- ahhhhh, i hadn't minded but it felt soooo good to have him back on me where he belongs.

this baby is much higher maintenance than my daughter. she slept at least three or four hours at a time at night right from birth. i can't even put this one down when he is asleep for more than a minute, or he wakes and wants me. he also sleeps only a half hour at most during the day, but at night two at a time. last night he slept four hours and then lay talking to himself for another hour- i was too tired even to roll over and nurse him until he started calling unhappily. he's pretty cool.

we are also having nasty cord stump issues. it is so very very hard with cloth diapers. i had him out of covers for a few days and that only created mountains of laundry and we were wet all the time. also diaper changes were miserably long because of using pins, which were hard to get used to after so many years. since he's been in covers, and i just gave up, he's been sleeping better and more comfortable. but there's a small nub of umbilicus, not even cut off but like a smooth protrusion, coming out on the lower end. it doesn't belong there, though, bc it is an off yellow color and the rest of the area is nice and skin toned now. the mw said to keep it uncovered and she can trim it if necessary. -blech- i might go to the health food store and get some tushies disposables so i can keep the diaper off it and hopefully get it OFF. i have been using grape seed/goldenseal powder- cord care- and betadine per the mw's instructions, and i had tried alcohol for a while but nothing seems to help. if it's just his bellybutton that's ok but it is definitely something that doesn't look like it belongs there. at least it is not raw or oozing or anything like that. it will about kill me to use disposables, though, even tushies. i often feel like the only person who uses cloth, and even other cloth users i know IRL use disposables when out or at night. for me using cloth is like choosing a car with good gas mileage- it's the responsible thing to do!! still, i guess this umbilicus does need to come off. does anyone remember the awful episode of in living color when jim carrey was riding the subway with his mom and the umbilical cord?

will stop hogging the thread now.

have to find some SAH work bc i can't imagine doing doula work for some time now, unless there's a way to guarantee a short labor!
#2 of 64 Old 06-27-2004, 03:35 PM

Julie, Congrats! Sounds like a great labor/delivery. It's weird, my first labor was very fast and intense. Dd is fast and intense. This labor was very mellow and much slower. So far, that describes ds! I hope you are feeling well and enjoying Rowan.

Smithie, when you're ready to try again....Lube, lube, lube! Lots of it. I'm sure you already know this though.

We're still doing well here. Dd is starting to have some behavior problems. I feel like I haven't been giving her enough individual attention. She is still very loving and gentle with ds, though and she says she loves him all the time. She just hasn't been listening as well as usual and she's had a couple of tantrums. Things are going very well with ds. He's quite a nurser as I've mentioned before. He still sleeps so well at night. Dd always did too, but it is still so surprising to me. I'm not even sure how often he nurses at night. I think I must sleep through it, or he only nurses twice. I just don't know. He nurses lots during the day though.

I hope everyone is doing well.
#3 of 64 Old 06-27-2004, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Andrea's cord was really gross too. It smelled bad. We thought we were going to have to take her to the doc when she was only a week old. But luckily by 2 weeks it had fallen off.
#4 of 64 Old 06-27-2004, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

congratulations rynna & welcome sadie! hope the emergency was not hard on you & look forward to hearing all the details.
#5 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 01:53 AM
Banned

I haven't written my birth story, but here are some pics:

http://share-photocenter.bestbuy.com...EeBMXDJw5ctXVw
#6 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 01:55 AM
Banned

Congrats Rynna!! I thought I had beat you :LOL

She is really beautiful
#7 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 08:56 AM

Oh Julie....he is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#8 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 12:35 PM

Congratualtions Rynna and Welcome Sadie!!! Great day to be born....it's my birthday too. I hope your recovery goes well!

Congratulations Julie and Welcome Rowan! Sounds like an awesome birth!
#9 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Banned

So I think I told you that the birth asst said Rowan looked almost post-mature. The skin on his hands and feet is really dry and feels like parchment. Well, I have been putting burt's bees apricot baby oil on them every time I change his dipe but last night I didn't change him or do the oil (though he nursed all night long, in the bed and I got to sleep through most of it-yay!!!). This morning I went to put it on him and the skin on his ankles had cracked and bled. I just feel so horrible for him. 2 days old and that can't feel good. The baby oil doesn't seem like it is working all that well. Any suggestions?
#10 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

my rowan's skin was peeling too but very flaky and in tiny bits. are you sure it bled, or is it just red where it cracked? his ankles did the same thing but it wasn't too bad. mostly where you could see his feet had been curled up and now were stretching out. one of my midwives said some babies are like little lizards and peel awhile. we had some flaking on the chest, too. i didn't use anything on it and now he is almost 3 weeks it is almost gone. he was early, too so it isn't necessarily a sign of postmaturity tho of course you may have other signs too. good luck, it feels awful to see spots you think are painful. my guy had a deep red bit of rash on his bum just inside the crack and i thought it looked terribly painful but probably bothered me more than him. but at least i got to use our lovely weleda diaper cream!
#11 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 03:20 PM

Isabel Magdalen was born June 22 at 8:43 by c-section.

Though we did not want a c-section, it really was a beautiful birth. Our OB allowed our doula to be there in the OR with us -- which was great. Isabel came out pink and perfect, weighing in at 9 lbs, 9.2 oz. and a 9/9 apgar (whatever that really means). She was so high up that the OB had to reach in high to get her. I am recovering well, but very sore -- and cannot believe people actually ELECT to do c-sections for convenience. Convenience? HUH? This is NOT convenient!

Isabel nursed in the recovery room and has been nursing wonderfully since. SHe is so tranquil.

The hardest part about all of this is not being able to hold my other 2 children right now!

Congrats to other babies born. Love the name Sadie!

Peace,
Paula
#12 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 03:27 PM

Congrats Rynna and Paula on you new baby girls! I hope you both recover quickly.

Julie, my little guy's ankles are peeling too. It's very thin skin that is peeling off, like when you peel from a sunburn. He hasn't had any bleeding though, thank goodness. I would just keep putting the oil on him and I'm sure he'll heal up in no time.
#13 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

congratulations paula! and glad you had a lovely birth. i am especially glad your doula went with you- while no one wants a cesarean i hate not getting to go with my clients- and that you got to have your baby in recovery, which is very rare where i live. take good care of yourself, especially in remembering you have had major surgery and need to be cared for accordingly! looking forward to hearing all the details of our group's recent births!

one thing i have noticed, for those who have pictures posted on the web: with some sites the link takes you right into the person's account; for instance, anyone could hit "buy prints" and go right ahead. this is why i haven't posted photos yet, or given my m-i-l access since i have photos on my photoworks site from the birth and other things i wouldn't necessarily want to share. not that anyone here would purchase someone's photos without permission, but something to be aware of. does anyone know how to get around this?

does anyone else's baby seem very unhappy while pooping and peeing? this boy doesn't like being dirty and also grunts and really can start crying just before that oh-so-familiar explosion sound.
#14 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 05:04 PM

I posted this in the wrong week's thread! duh! Ok, I'm just such a lurker these days...but CONGRATULATIONS to all the new Mamas!!! I look forward to reading all the wonderful birth stories!
As for cracking and bleeding feet...Lansinoh. I used it on Emma and Seth both. it really helps to heal those cracks. Hope that helps some!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#15 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

so, who's left? can we have a quick roll call? i want a clearer idea of who to keep in mind!
#16 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 07:42 PM

Just a quick note to say Congrats to al the new mommies and welcome to all the new little babies!
#17 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Banned

Yes, they did bleed. I am trying burt's bees rescue remedy and it is working really well (i already had it). My mw came by to do a check-up and she said she had never seen anything like it. there's a bit of drama going on right now but I am typing one-handed so I won't elaborate but if you could all send me some patience and peaceful vibes, I would really appreciate it.

cograts paula!! Been wondering how your kiddos are doing...
#18 of 64 Old 06-28-2004, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

hope you feel better julie- let us know what's going on when you have a chance. hope too your rowan's ankles are better, poor baby.
#19 of 64 Old 06-29-2004, 12:51 AM
Banned

I totally undressed him today and checked him out-seems that his ankles are the only part that is that bad and they are getting a little better. We went to Whole Foods today and of course he attracts a lot of attention. When I told ppl he was 2 days old, they kind of freaked out-"I can't believe you are out and about" "you look great" etc etc. I don't know why, but that kind of attention just feels uncomfortable for me. I started to feel like I should lie about his age I am such a weirdo.

So my mom is here and brought my 1 yo niece and it is taking longer to get the baby (Emily) out of our house (I told you how Tain really doesn't like her and we have pretty much been giving him constant time outs-the first time he has ever had them, at a time when he really needs his house inviolate). Emily was supposed to be picked up by her other gma b/c they were vacationing here, only the other gma doesn't get in until this evening (tho my sis failed to tell my mom this when she sent her). On top of that, my sis didn't tell the other gma about it so she had no idea until bio dad told her. Since she has my older niece with her, she doesn't want to have Emily at night b/c Lauryn already takes up all the bed and makes it hard to sleep, tho she has agreed to take her during the day. My sis is so manipulative. It just feels so disrespectful towards me and my family that she is doing this crap (they decided last wk they were moving here) at a time where I really need my mom to be here for me. We have been planning this for 9 months and she just can't give me this time. On top of that, my other siblings are pretty screwy (they are younger and still live at home) and they have evidently been totally horrible since she left. So she has been dealing with my sis (whose car broke down in the middle of Canada on the way here, of course) and yelling at my brothers 3 times a day. I am so frustrated! It isn't mom's fault, I just feel like all my siblings are so selfish. How hard is it to just deal with your life for a while? Mom has been here less than a week! So that is my drama. And of course I try to tell mom how I feel and she takes it personally and leaves with Emily for god knows where with no money. Which makes me feel guilty for saying anything. Arg. The whole situation really sucks. And it makes dh furious, of course, which doesn't help.

Other than that, everything is going pretty well. Laying down in the bed makes my afterpains really bad. I think it is b/c I am on my side all night nursing and that pulls my uterus to the side, not to mention strains a tendon/ligament/muscle something that already was hurting at the tail end of my pregnancy. anyway, I should be getting more sleep than I am b/c of it. So that isn't too cool. Other than that, we haven't totally woken up from birth yet, I think, b/c things are still going really smoothly. Tandem nursing is so far uncomplicated, for which I am grateful. We don't nurse at the same time all that much, which helps. Wondering how you are doing with it, Rynna.

I think tomorrow I will crank up the heat and give Rowan some naked time. I hate putting sposies on a newborn and since his skin is already so delicate, I think he really needs to not be rubbed by the paper/plastic of them. We don't really have the option of cloth, however, so we just try to give the kids as much naked time as possible. He pooped 5 times yesterday and not at all today. Weird.

Well, I should get going. Labor vibes to those still cooking and big kisses to all the gorgeous babies!!
#20 of 64 Old 06-29-2004, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just dropping in to say CONGRATS all you new mamas..all i do is lurk now..im not good at typing while nursing!
Robin- lucca also has a spinal dimple and we had to use silver nitrate on her belly button..weird
LizD- Lucca hates to be wet or dirty so we are doing EC and it is great, she is much happier. check out the EC board!

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#21 of 64 Old 06-29-2004, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD
so, who's left? can we have a quick roll call? i want a clearer idea of who to keep in mind!
I'm still waiting.... not sure who else though. A few back aches and a couple of contractions... but not much else happening. My EDD is tomorrow, but I think I think I may not go until the full moon on friday.
#22 of 64 Old 06-29-2004, 05:35 AM

Still waiting here too...my EDD was 6/18, I'm 11 days over, but I feel like it might happen tonight. Yeah, that full moon right around the corner is throwing these babies off!

I think I'm finally having the kind of contractions I should be having to start timing them instead of the BH...how do I know for sure? My MW stripped my membranes today so I've been crampy anyway, but with each contraction now comes a good dose of menstrual-like pain...it's just not like I imagined from reading descriptions...Any thoughts?

~Laura
#23 of 64 Old 06-29-2004, 10:06 AM

Julie- Two of my three girls had really dry cracked feet. The worst part was the undersides of the toes where they connect. Lily has crackes between a couple of toes too. Her feet are getting much better. I think almost all of her skin has peeled off in the past two weeks. I was completly freaked out by that as this was the first time I had a baby that peeled. She was a week early but looked overcooked. I hope things get worked out w/ your mom. It really stinks that just for a short time you can't get the help and attention YOU need.

Birthing vibes to those stilll cooking and snuggles to all those cute little babies!
#24 of 64 Old 06-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Banned

Laura-just time them, I say. My early labor had menstrual like ctx, it wasn't until transition that they changed. It is hard to describe, I told my mom that they were strong, but I was able to deal with them better b/c they felt "productive". Like everything was finally working in sync. Up until that point, however, it was just like a really aweful period except that they were semi-regular. It helps if someone else can time them, I know for me it was hard to make sense of it but when someone else can look at the times, they can see an overall pattern. I don't know about anyone else, but mine were always slightly different like 3 min then 5 min then 3 min again, etc. so it was nice for someone else to figure out the average. Don't know if that helps at all. I'll be thinking of you!!
#25 of 64 Old 06-29-2004, 02:44 PM

Our sweet Ava Josephine was born on Saturday June 26 at 7:06pm. Just wanted to let everyone know

It was a beautiful birth at my birth center, and could not have gone any better. We came home on Sunday morning and family and friends seem stunned that we're home already and that it was all so simple. I will try to write a little more about it, over on the birth stories thread.

Congratulations to new mommies on here and thanks to everyone who sent me supportive thoughts on the bad days. It's all been more than worth it.
#26 of 64 Old 06-29-2004, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

congrats and welcome ava josephine! what a fab name!

i am not a fan of timing ctx- they can so often peter out and if they get frequent first a lot of people get into labor-mode and use up a lot of energy. when it's labor you'll know! it's like checking dilation; no one knows at what rate you're going to dilate, so internal exams, like timing ctx, don't necessarily tell you anything. just my $.02.
#27 of 64 Old 06-29-2004, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My stepmother is very nice, but she kept calling Andrea by her middle name, and she told a bunch of people that "she was very big, almost 8 lbs!" Darn it, she was just over 8.5 lbs! I want credit for the extra 9 oz!

My mother comments on how Linda "has a temper" just like I do. : She doesn't "have a temper;" she just doesn't like certain things and isn't going to be quiet about it! My mom seems to get this perverse delight in telling me that Linda gets her "temper" from me, so I tried telling her "Well, that must mean I got it from you" but it just went right over her head. She also grabs every opportunity to point out what a difficult baby I was. When I'd hold Andrea a certain way, or use the sling, she would point out that I "hated" all that stuff and wouldn't calm down the way other babies did. Gee, sorry to make things hard on you! :

My dh is always taking the kids to the park before I'm up and ready to go. Sometimes he asks, "Oh, did you want to come with us?" But he asks right as he's leaving, when he can see that I haven't eaten or showered! I also wish he wouldn't take Andrea, since she doesn't even stay awake to enjoy it and it means he has to dip into the milk supply in the freezer.
#28 of 64 Old 06-29-2004, 08:27 PM

wow, looks like i posted on the wrong thread. :LOL

things are going very well, i'm recovering from the c-section and I have to say that while it certainly was inconvinient, i'm feeling a heck of a lot better than i was 5 days pp with Eli. :LOL considering the fact that it was an emergency surgery, things went really really well. it was all good once mike got into the room, though of course my niece was (is) very upset that once again she didn't get to witness the birth. she's really intent on someone in the family having a homebirth or at least a hospital birth that she can watch. :LOL

tandem nursing is going fairly well, eli was a bit jealous in the beginning, and getting them both situated around my incision was a bit of work at first, but now i'm just loving it. it seems that i'm doomed to a huge oversuply, though. after eli went to bed last night, i woke up and nursed rivkah and then was forced to piump to alleviate the pain in my left rbeast. 5 oz!!!! and i didn't flatten it, even, i just pumped enough that I could breathe again! crazy stuff, that milk! :LOL

hm, less than a minute. time to go, i think i hope to be back online soon!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#29 of 64 Old 06-30-2004, 03:56 AM

Welcome to the new babies!! Rowan, Sadie, Ava, what beautiful names! Congrats mommies, I hope all is going well!!

Little Braden is growing big!! Today (at 2.5 weeks) he weighed 9,14! Thats two pounds up from his birthweight already! I thought I was the only person who could gain a pound a week! He's already grown out of some of his newborn clothes and hes pushing the limits on the smallest of the diaper covers. (Not to mention soaking every single dipe in sight...) I know my other two gained like this in the beginning, but its still amazing to watch. And more amazing that he is now as large as one of my good friend's babies are at birth! i cant imagine giving birth to him at this size!

Im not having any funky sad stuff. I am having a lot of anger/frustration problems. My older two children refuse to listen to me anymore, since most of the time Im just giving orders from the couch. Nursing a baby who wont nurse in the sling makes it tough to help the kiddos clean up, and impossible to be an enforcer of discipline. They run wild all over the house every moment they can. My 4 yr old just blithly ignores me or straight up disobeys. My two year old just loves making tremendous disasters and is zero clean up help. Ive gotten to the point where Im yelling at them all the time to get off the kitchen counters, out of the fridge, stop eating/pouring out the salt, get out of the bathroom... you name it. They are driving me crazy! Ive gotten to the point where Im going to put up a series of baby gates they cant cross and put most of their toys in the garage to keep them from making a mess so big I cant live in it. I feel like I shouldn't have to do that though, that my 4.5 yr old should be more responsible and be more help. Is it just me? Should she know better than to flood the bathroom floor, or let her brother go play in the (off limits) back yard? The most awful thing is the only time that she listens is when I threaten to spank, which I HATE to do...

With DH, the frustration/anger has moved into the range of RAGE a few times. I get SO PISSED at him. I havent yelled at him yet, but Im sure its on its way. He makes plans without asking me (he does ask me if its alright, but usually its pretty clear hes just telling me what he's going to do, since he already made the commitment), plays endless computer games, complains about the house being a wreck, and for some reason cant take care of our children. I left with the baby yesterday for a while, and when I got home the house was clean and kids asleep. But the didnt eat dinner- just junk snacks and all they did was watch tv while he played on the computer. And they went to sleep three hours early, so at bed time both of them were up and one of them is hungry, at the exact same time im stuck nursing Braden for an hour and a half trying to get him to sleep. DH? Just rolls over in bed and complains that he has to get up early to go to work, and goes to sleep.
Anyway, he has all this time to go out, play D&D and star wars while im nursing, changing, cleaning up, doing dishes, laundry etc. WTF? Its like he forgot that caring for the baby was a lot of work cause he still thinks hes doing his fair share by cooking and taking out the trash. every moment i have without babe in arms is spent keeping house. I have to ask him to hold the baby. 10 minutes later Braden's in the damn bouncy seat fussing to be held and hes in the den... GRR... I might seriously have to go off on him.
sorry to be so long... Im not sure if I need anger managment or if I just need to start being abusive...
#30 of 64 Old 06-30-2004, 05:53 AM

Congrats Mommies! Quite alot of new babes born ....

I'm not finding any me time these days so posting is increasingly difficult. Got mastitis this weekend and felt like dying for two days ... feel better but am still lumpy and am feeling so wrecked about it. I feel like somehow guilty and at the same time clueless as to how I got it. Flora is gaining well though so I feel very grateful for that. I'm so worried about these lumps and am just overwhelmed by how to best heal ... all this timed perfectly with DH's return to work so that I feel even more overwhelmed than I did last week. I'm supposed to be doing hot compresses, drinking a glass of water at each nursing (which is supposed to be more frequent), yadda, yadda, yadda, all this other stuff to take care of myself when I'm at home with a 3 year old and a newborn by myself and sometimes find that it's two hours before I've been able to do something BASIC like brush my teeth for the morning. I've had two diff people give me shower/bath goodies and say things like "and this is for taking care of you" and while it's a totally nice gesture it makes me want to hurl the d*mn bottle of soap at their heads and scream "and exactly when the f*** is that supposed to happen?!" I'm really, really overwhelmed right now.

Anyway, I just bounced Flora back to sleep and as it's 4:47 am here, I'd best try to get a few more hours before DD wakes up.

Sorry to be so down and so about me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page