So.... What do you have for baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 04-07-2004, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know some people probably have a crib up all the baby stuff bought clean and ready to go..

Me? I have a bunch of hand me down clothes in a rubbermaid container "to be washed"

I have a bunch of cloth diapers that I have washed about a billion times, they are sitting in our set up Co-sleeper. (we kicked the cats outta the room about a month ago)

We bought the Co-sleeper months ago because we were in Diaper-eez in Toronto and I was asking the lady about it and she told me they lost their contract with their canadian supplier and they only had the display model left. Full sized ARMS reach I got it for 200 Canadian. (not bad at all) However I have since read reviews that pretty much called it an oversized cloths hamper LOL!

thats it.

We were going to buy a glider that was on sale at Liquidation World, but we don't have any extra money (someone blew it all on a fancy engagment ring lol.. not that I'm complaining!)

My MIL and MOM are like "DON'T BUY ANYTHING!!! WAIT FOR THE BABY SHOWER!!!"

So I am satisfying my craving for baby stuff by going to thrift stores and buying cloth diapers lol

anyone else?

What have you got? or wished that you have got already???
#2 of 37 Old 04-07-2004, 12:23 PM

This is my third child so there is not a whole lot that I need, unless baby comes out a boy, then I will need to do some serious clothes shopping. (I have two girls). I am making a blanket for my new babe and I did buy a set of three wooden teethers. I do need to start washing stuff though. I have piles of clothe diapers and onesies just waiting. I would also like to get us a couple futon mattresses to expand our bed. We will be five in a bed soon! We have always slept at floor level, so side cars and the like don't work for us. We had a crib that we used as a laundry hamper and is now gathering dust. I really need to find a good home for it. It is amazing how many things you think you need, and then the babe comes, and you really don't need much. I am excited about having a glider this time around, my sil passed on her's. It is so much fun to look at all the sweet infant clothes!
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#3 of 37 Old 04-07-2004, 12:28 PM

This will be our 3rd so we dont need alot.
I want to get a glider, and a diaper changing table.
And i dont have any CD's for a boy or newborn..so im slowly starting to get them when we have the money.
And i want to get a new Sling and bobby
#4 of 37 Old 04-07-2004, 02:15 PM

I haven't bought much yet. This is our first baby, but I'm trying to stick with the less is more approach. We're going to be borrowing a lot of stuff from friends who already have babies (cosleeper, travel system, maybe a swing). I don't want to get a crib until baby outgrows the cosleeper- we just don't have room for it. I've mostly been picking up some cute clothes on sale, and a cool zebra striped Boppy. My only "big" purchase was an awesome Emmaljunga stroller from ebay. I alternate betweeen thinking, "I have plenty of time!" and "What if the baby comes early? I won't be ready!"
#5 of 37 Old 04-07-2004, 06:17 PM

we don't really need a whole lot of *new* stuff, since this is our second...

we have...
- my son's old crib (not planning to use it) and mattress
- bassinet + car bed (we set them up beside our bed when our son was a baby... and ended up cosleeping most nights. the car bed was nice, because it was much lower than the bassinet, and we sleep on a futon so it gave us easier access to him when he wasn't sleeping on/with us.)
- stacks of diapers
- about 12 diaper covers, used, of various sizes
- all my son's old bibs and infant clothing, plus a few girly things and some of my old baby clothes (my mom saved them for me )
- blankets and other bedding
- changing table (currently in use in my son's room) and changing table pad/cover
- my son's old baby swing (he *loved* that. i need to make a new cover for it though.)
- Snugli front-style baby carrier
- hip-style baby carrier (that's awful, though, and i don't plan to use it) ~ unfortunately i gave away my maya sling
- Lansinoh nipple cream
- a little soft teether kitty, like my son's bunny that he's attached to, to hopefully redirect the baby's urge to fondle my other breast/nipple while she's nursing and provide a cuddle companion other than my breasts (i don't have any idea if this will work or not, but i'm hoping *L*)
- rocking chairs (one is a recliner-type rocking chair, one is wooden + wicker ~ we've had them awhile)

still need mama cloth, girl clothes (ok, ok, so we don't *need* girl-type clothes, but i *want* my baby girl to be, well... girly...), and i'd like to get a boppy or other nursing pillow, or make one.
#6 of 37 Old 04-07-2004, 11:16 PM

We have bought almost nothing so far because we simply have no money right now. I did, however, just today spend a bunch of my mothers money!! We have decided to cd this baby (which we did not with our first) and I recently finally decided on my started diapers. My mom placed the ordr and paid for them today!! Some of the diapers are not in stock in the site I chose so I will have to wait maybe 2 weeks but I can not wait to get them!! The package also includes a new Maya wrap. My over the shoulder baby holder is very worn out as my 4 year old was still using it for some time daily until she finally reached the weight limit and my belly got too big to carry her (about 3 months ago:LOL ) I will probably need a new one of these too for some variety. However, I have a friend who offered hers (which I bought for her as a gift and she never used!!) SOOO, I will probably not buy a new one just take that one back!! I have another friend who is going to lend me her co sleeper until Dh finally gives in and admits that life will not end with 2 children in our bed with us...

I guess I don't need anything else...except if the baby is a boy. I have boxes of girl clothes but almost nothing that looks even remotely boyish...

I am dying to buy things for this baby... Need some $$$$

: Jen

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
#7 of 37 Old 04-08-2004, 09:39 AM

We're moving next week to a bigger house so nothing is set up yet. I will worry abou that when we move plus we want to do the girls rooms first and then settle on the baby room. I have clothes to go through and wash we need a new infant car seat and stroller, we need a new high chair eventually when the baby is on solids but that can wait a while. I am also looking at CD and really want to order some but am waiting until we move so they don't get lost in the mail. So much preparation and so little time. Only about 14 more weeks. I know everything will come into place though. OH yeah I did buy a changing table but still need a pad for it. hahaha
#8 of 37 Old 04-08-2004, 11:35 AM

This one will be our 1st boy so I needed to get a few new things.

Here's what I have so far.

crib (really don't use)
bassinet
cloth diapers
mama cloth
carseat/stroller combo
sling
high chair
boppy pillow
3-6 month clothes (bought a lot off eBay for $100 shipped all name brands and 45 pieces )

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#9 of 37 Old 04-08-2004, 02:00 PM

We have a little of this and a little of that- I'm hoping to get mostly ready when I get paid next month.

So far we have:
a bassinet
a bucket carseat
a smattering of cds- mostly newborn and size 0
baby clothes ranging from newborn to 9 mos (though not enough to keep him in clothes all the time)
several quilts and blankies
moses basket
medela pump that a friend is loaning to me
breasts they seem to be getting prepared
a few odds and ends

The three major purchases we have left are the co-sleeper, a changing table (and we are fortunate to be receiving that as a group shower gift) and the Britax carseat. I'm currently working on sewing some of my own diapers and covers, too.

There are so many little things that I want for the baby, but I get really overwhelmed when I start to think about them all. Then I just tell myself to relax; as long as we've got a food source and diapers, we'll be just fine. Then I start thinking about all of the little things that I want again and :LOL....
#10 of 37 Old 04-08-2004, 06:33 PM

oh, yeah, we have carseats too.

and i wasn't even thinking about a high chair. i guess we'll need one of those again too. i gave away my son's old one. i also gave away his old playpen, which i never used and don't miss. i hate those things!
#11 of 37 Old 04-08-2004, 09:08 PM

Oh my... I haven't really gotten to that point yet.

We need to get DS#2 a twin bed so we can move him in with DS#1. Right now he sleeps on a full mattress on the floor of the nursery (so that dh or I can lay down with him when he won't sleep alone). Also need to buy them a dresser that is big enough to share.

We need to buy a new infant car seat because ours is over five years old and so is no longer safe.

We have a crib (ds#1 used it occasionally, ds#2 not at all), glider, dresser/changing table, and full decorations in the nursery. She will have to live with a blue and yellow Noah's Ark room cause I'm not changing it!

We have a second glider for downstairs (got the gliders as gifts from my grandparents with each pregnancy).

Other than that everything else is in the garage fully wrapped in plastic, but we will wait to get it all down.

Will get down all the infant sized clothes in July when I go on maternity leave. Will weed out the unisex stuff from the definite girl stuff.

I want a new sling (I'm looking at one from kangarookorner).
#12 of 37 Old 04-08-2004, 09:10 PM

Quote:
and i wasn't even thinking about a high chair. i guess we'll need one of those again too. i gave away my son's old one.
We still have ours, but honestly, I wish we had just the booster seat instead. Our kids don't really sit at the table until they are sitting up well and the booster is so much more compact!
#13 of 37 Old 04-08-2004, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I want a new sling
me too. i regret giving away the Maya sling we had ~ that thing was awesome. the mama i gave it to never used it, either. :P
#14 of 37 Old 04-09-2004, 01:01 AM

This is our second so we don't need much. We already had most of the essentials.
We have bought:
newborn dipes
double stroller
toddler bed for ds(we put it right next to ours)
All we need is a few more clothes(waiting for the us on monday), and I want a new sling but haven't figured out what I want yet.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#15 of 37 Old 04-09-2004, 01:42 PM

This is our first too, but we are also trying not to get too many things. We have a really tight budget. We have:
crib (that we will use when he is older)
bassinet
some clothes that were gifts
19 cloth diapers (really old style, they were mine as a baby!)
rocker
2 boxes of disposable diapers for day care
crib sheets

I am so excited for the baby shower that a friend is throwing me later this month. We really don't need alot of stuff but there are things that I want, like a swing and boppy.
#16 of 37 Old 04-09-2004, 06:50 PM

i'd love a boppy too. i've been trying to justify the cost. a part of me (a big part) is saying, "why not just use pillows?"

but the boppy's look so useful...
#17 of 37 Old 04-10-2004, 02:29 AM

I loved my Boppy with my ds. That is something I recommend getting. It really will be used and pillows aren't the same.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#18 of 37 Old 04-12-2004, 10:09 AM

We're not getting too much this time around.

What we have already:
two boppies
crib, dresser, glider {set up but ds didn't start in his crib til he was over a year}
monitors
car seat
slings
highchair {great b/c it reclines for really little ones}
pack-n-play {used bassinet a lot downstairs}
floor mat for the hated tummy time :
breastpump
layette stuff from a friend who didn't know the sex {aka lots of yellow}
layette stuff from when ds was a baby
a few pieces of "girlie" layette stuff
six fitted diapers
toys galore

What we need:
bassinett for upstairs since we unloaded that co-sleeper as fast as we could
double stroller {should have just gotten this from the start}
three dozen prefolds, about 10 more fitteds, 6+ covers {making the last two}
more clothes but waiting to see how fast she grows and the impact the cloth makes on size
a couple packs of Tushies for the meconium and until the infant CPF's fit {ds was 7 lbs 8 oz so preemie seems kind of pointless to me }

I should probably dig around a bit more for things, but we've been so busy with ds's new room it's kind of fallen behind. I have a funny feeling I'll actually have this little girl in June so I'd better get moving.

FWIW, I loved the boppy even after I used it for nursing ds {he got big fast}. It was really helpful when he first started to sit because it helped keep him upright. But for nursing, I think pillows would be too soft to be much use. jmo.

Teaching wife & mama knit.gif  to my not so little ones - DS (10) drum.gif and DD (8) dust.gif

#19 of 37 Old 04-12-2004, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

sorry if I sound stupid

whats a boppy?? link anyone??
#20 of 37 Old 04-12-2004, 12:11 PM

boppy

These are supposed to be easy to make if you like to sew, I will see if I can find a pattern.
Brandi

reading.gif

love and light

#21 of 37 Old 04-12-2004, 12:17 PM

pattern

There are many pillows besides boppy, just type nursing pillow in your search engine. Some even make them out of natural fibers. I would also recommend making or buying a slip cover for it, less wear and tear on it this way then actually washing it. Mine is in sad condition, but is also four years old. With my first I had an episiotomy and the boppy was used for me to sit on rather than a nursing pillow. Worked great, though I kind of flattened it out:

Brandi

reading.gif

love and light

#22 of 37 Old 04-12-2004, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, I am going to get my mommy to make one for me now

(lol she is itching to sew anything with her new machine!)
#23 of 37 Old 04-12-2004, 06:44 PM

Quote:
i'd love a boppy too. i've been trying to justify the cost. a part of me (a big part) is saying, "why not just use pillows?"

but the boppy's look so useful...
I could never get the hang of it! I tried with both and it put the baby in the absolute wrong position to get a correct latch! Maybe one with half the stuffing would have been better!
#24 of 37 Old 04-15-2004, 01:24 AM

Your lists are so helpful!!

I agree that it's better to not buy too much. You really don't need that much--truly.

...I, too, feel I need to get with the program.
I gave away almost everything from dd... Oh well, I like for things to be in use. I've only got 14 wks. Where'd the time go?

Here's what I have from DD from '99 which I kept because I found them to be so useful. My sis has been using them & I just got them back:
-arm's reach co-sleeper: used & liked esp. when she was tiny
-my brest friend nursing pillow: liked this a ton esp. with newborn
-over the shoulder baby holder: wore all the time for a long time; when shopping used this instead of a stroller
-baby bjorn-used this when traveling on planes, etc. after dd was 3 mos.
-20" wheel babby jogger-great for our gravel roads for walks or jogs still
-prima pappa high chair-didn't use that much; kept due to cost. ??
-baby quilts & blankets-favorites; handmade
-Ethan Allen glider rocker with ottoman--so comfy anytime--esp. for nursing--highly recommend

Shopping List:
a bit too long for me to think of at 11:20. more later.

thanks to everybody who's taken time to list. It's good to get ideas from real moms--as opposed to books that list everything from a to z.

Congrats to the 1st time moms on being wise/ shopper saaavy!

Best wishes to everybody on quickly & easily finding really great deals on what you want on your lists!
#25 of 37 Old 04-22-2004, 11:11 AM

This is aour second and since Goo and Moo will be close to 2 years apart, I am SO SET on clothing. We kept all of Goo's clothing, so that is all set. I just need to start bringing it down and washing it.

I have
- a newly painted room for Moo (we moved after Goo was born, so Moo gets a new room!)
- a new dresser set for Moo that will last until she is 10. The lower dresser will double as a changing table.
- crib from Goo
- bedding (some- need to buy more)
- muttiple floor time toys and mats
- swing (goo HATED it)
-highchair
-carseat for infant
-strollers (but want to get a buggy board for Goo)
- Baby bjorn for Moo
- T-shirt with sling and doll for Goo (it's so CUTE! It's got a sling painted on it and a little doll that goes in the pocket so she can cary her baby like mommy is carrying Moo! I LOVE IT!)
- Bottles (need liners)

I need to shop for a few things, but not that much.
#26 of 37 Old 04-22-2004, 12:46 PM

For my new babe I have..

-a few dozen assorted used cloth diapers
-way more covers than I had for my DD
-a moses basket
-baby trekker
-hand-made baby wrap
-many clothes from my DD (I tend to not like the "girly" stuff, so there is a lot that will suit a boy) I don't think I could even count the # of peices... which is good, meaning i don't have to buy more :LOL
-thick felted wool scraps for under the sheet on the bed (beware of changing the sheets 2 times per day or more)
-loads of hand-made quilts (my grama, mom, and I are addicts)
-little bathtub with insert to hold baby
-big comfy stroller
-carseat
-mobiles

for me...
-camisoles, because I don't where a bra
-pillows!!! I'm going to be tandem nursing...
#27 of 37 Old 04-22-2004, 02:15 PM

I have developed an addiction to shopping for baby clothes at the thrift stores (.50-3.00$). So I have a good assortment of baby clothes. (The goodwill has been great. I only buy stuff that is like new or I love it.)
I try for roomy pants due to diaper butt and SF is pretty cool even in summer so I have some layering jackets and such. I have 8 smaller wraps and 6 med ones. I am thinking I will use a diaper service the first few months till the baby will fit med to large so I don't have to buy lots of sets of diapers.
Baby bath (5$ at thrift)
Water proof sheet
Sling (3$ thrift)
Glider rocking chair (from friend)

I have a 13 month old little brother (dad was 60! I am 27) and a 21/2 nephew and I have inherited a lot of stuff from them.
Co-sleeper
Swing
High-chair
Car seat (not infant)
A few baby toys
Swing (present from step-mom but more like a sister to me)
Blankets (I have my baby quilt Mom just gave to me!)
Baby bjorn

Need: (some of which I will register for though I am thinking Diapers would be best)
travel system
Changing table and pad
Diapers
Med kit including nail clippers and soap
Sun hats
Diaper pail
Diper bag/backpack

This thread is a good resource for reg. for the shower
#28 of 37 Old 04-30-2004, 08:31 AM

My sisters and I send things back and forth (I'm the last to have a baby) but my younger sister is planning on one more. Both my sisters had a girl and a boy in that order- and I will have a girl and a boy in that order. Right now I'm sending all the girl clothing that my daughter has grown out of to my younger sister - and she's sending me the boy clothes that her son just grew out of. We have also sent the BabyBjorn back and forth. (I actually want an Ergo for this baby). I have:

2 dozen cloth diapers
6 covers
crib
bassinet
carseat
trailblazer baby backpack
etc. etc.

I want: More cloth diaper accessories. My husband wants one of those bike trailers to put the kids in. But money is tight!
#29 of 37 Old 05-27-2004, 03:26 AM

I had to revive this post, because I'm so curious about what all of you have now! I still feel like I'm behind, but I bought a few things online at www.ecobaby.com tonight.

I got 5 organic receiving blankets
an organic hooded towel with washcloth
wooden rattle
wooden bead chain toy
#30 of 37 Old 05-27-2004, 03:44 AM

Well, this is our second. We have all the gear stuff, like a carseat, a little bouncy seat (invaluable for taking a shower IME), changing table, bassinett for when they're not sleeping on top of me. We have a crib but don't plan on setting it up unless we have one of those oddball babies that prefers to sleep alone!

I'd love to have a glider, but there is really no place to put it in our house.

I want to get a Zolo sling and a new diaper bag that will accomodate stuff for baby and toddler. I already have a bjorn. I will wait and see if we need a double stroller. We do walk a lot here for errands and going to the playground, etc. My neighbor said that she didn't think she would need one, but ended up getting one a few months after her babe was born.

I've bought a ton of cloth diapers. I have yet to go through all ds's old clothes and pull out all the gender neutral stuff and wash it. I have bought very few clothes for this baby so far. I guess I'm waiting to see what the gender is, because if it is a boy then I'm pretty much set. My mom's friend is throwing me a shower, and I assume I'll get mainly gender neutral clothing.

Oh, and I always found a Boppy too low for the right nursing angle. I used a My Brest Friend pillow with ds and it was great. We'll see if I end up using it this time. I already have a breast pump, although I rarely used it last time.

Oh, I'd better reorder some breast pads! I leaked like a madwoman for almost a year. I would wear the cotton ones at home, but the disposable ones from Omron were the only ones that I could wear discreetly underneath a t-shirt, and they need to be ordered online. I guess I'll have to track that down again.

We've got all the blankets and toys and such.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page