*July Moms* April 16-30 Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope all of you are feeling well!

I've had an outrageous surge of energy... early nesting I guess... I've been detail cleaning the house & car (that rarely happens!) & landscaping: moving rocks, bricks, mulch, etc.--nothing too heavy though.

Dd weighs 47 lbs. and I've opted to not carry her during this pregnancy. Don't know why. Just don't feel like I oughta. Even before I knew I was pregnant... I remember that intuitively said, "Honey, I need you to walk."

I remember that I had a surge of energy with my pregnancy in '99. We hosted a wedding reception at our house when I was this far along & I worked from morning til night on my feet & loved every minute of it.

If it's like the last pregnancy ('99), I'm going to be a cleaning, working, organizing, ordering... machine til delivery day.

I love being pregnant!!
#2 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Kristen,
Love the slings you made & the pics you posted!
They are so pretty.
Your dd is very sweet!

Wish we could find a way to share pics. with each other.
I enjoyed seeing yours.
#3 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

In case you missed Kristen's sewing projects link, you have to see these:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kr...Sewing+Projects
#4 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

I'm having a homebirth & am collecting the supplies for it...

And, I'm wondering what all of you are doing with the placenta???

It seems sorta weird for me to throw it into the woods.
(We live in the country.)

I could burry it & plant a tree over it. July isn't a good time to plant a tree here though... I guess I could wait til fall to plant the tree. I don't much about this but I know people do it.

Thanks for any input.
#5 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 03:13 PM

sorry i've been gone for so long but i'm now trying to catch up. I finally feel really good today after about 2 weeks of my family being sick. i think i might even sew today! gotta run now but i will post more later. it's good to be back!
peace

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#6 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks JondeeO for sharing the book you're reading/have read!!

"Anybody read "Our Babies, Ourselves", by Meredith Small? What an interesting read! She takes a look at various cultures around the world and describes the different ways they treat babies and children."

It sounds awesome... can't wait to get it. I just ordered it www.half.com where books can be purchased so cheaply!

Anybody reading anything interesting now?
#7 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 04:52 PM

Michelle, I plant the placenta under a tree, and I've kept placentas in the freezer until planting time, then thawed them (in the fridge) so I'm not sticking a frozen placenta in the ground, LOL! Just be sure you mark the container you keep it in if you're freezing it . Dh has been surprised on more than one occasion by popping open an unmarked container in the freezer and seeing a placenta and cord staring back at him : !

A friend of mine did the coolest thing...she planted the placenta of her daughter under a long-living flowering vine, with the thought that when her daughter married one day, she could have some of those flowers in her bridal bouquet . Well, she then moved across the country, and I don't know if the vine went with her, but I thought it was kind of a cool idea . Talk about planning ahead!

I hope you like that book!

Joni, due 7-17-ish
#8 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 06:58 PM

It's a great book, I've read it twice.

I've got no energy, but I think it's this cold I'm fighting. So much mental nesting going on, but I just can't keep up with my brain :LOL
#9 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 11:32 PM

ITA- Kris' projects are tres cool! I'm going to buy one of her slings before the baby comes

I want to have a paper nearby to do a "print" of my placenta for a placenta "tree" pic. I'm not sure beyond that.... If my dh opened up a container holding a placenta :LOL I think he'd faint! I'm not sure about planting it in the yard because we won't live here for more than 4-5 years, and I'd have to leave it behind.

We started our birthing class this week. The instructor is a doula and she might even be present at my bebe's birth! It seems like it will be a very useful class.

Glad you're feeling better wolfmom

dalai_mama (healthy dust)
#10 of 36 Old 04-17-2004, 01:01 PM

About placenta... I'm going to dehydrate mine and put it into vegicaps! I heard that it's an excellent post-partum tonic, and some people even eat it like a smoothy with berries and stuff, or take a bite right out of it.

Anyways, I'm doing well. Baby appears to be head-down.

I have been wrapping scarves around my belly on some days when it's cold, to keep my baby warm. They do that in japan, apparently, and I think it's a good idea. I get cold so easily.
#11 of 36 Old 04-17-2004, 11:07 PM

I too, have that amazing energy surge going on!! We have been so busy the past couple of weeks with landscaping projects, and redecorating dd's room and general spring cleaning. I am in heaven with all of the planning and preparing and doing...until the end of the day when my back and feet are throbbing!!

All is well here...just want to get out of the twenties so anxiously awaiting week 30 coming up soon. Also, am counting down the days until no more working....want to be a sahm sooooo bad again. Only 7 weeks left of work!!

jen

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
#12 of 36 Old 04-17-2004, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michelle Leigh
Kristen,
Love the slings you made & the pics you posted!
They are so pretty.
Your dd is very sweet!

Wish we could find a way to share pics. with each other.
I enjoyed seeing yours.
Oh! I just checked this thread on a whim! Thanks and I am glad you like the pics. I am nuts about my ABC! I just need a babe to carry in it. As soon as I put DD in it she wants out. :
#13 of 36 Old 04-20-2004, 02:35 PM

Just thought I'd check in. Everyone is pretty quiet these days, hey?
#14 of 36 Old 04-20-2004, 04:16 PM

I have been reading, not much to say, but I am around

I am so happy that the third trimester is finally here! I am getting anxious to meet this babe and find out who he or she is. I am 28 weeks this week. Going to have to start getting my birthing supplies together soon. Also considering a CPR refresher course. I am so excited about this birth! Just wanted to check in and say hello to all you mammas!! Got to get back to sewing napkins while my girls are entertaining themselves peacefully.
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#15 of 36 Old 04-20-2004, 05:39 PM

I have been reading too but things at work are so busy it is hard to find time to post! Hope everyone is feeling well!
#16 of 36 Old 04-20-2004, 06:05 PM

HI everyone....
yeah it has been way quiter round here lately.
I've been pretty busy moving and all that...am in transition right now, visiting family, trying to eat well. The baby has become really active the last couple of days, though I can't figure out why.
This is my last week of second trimester....then it's the home stretch...
Also, I've watched 'Baby Story' the last couple of days since there's a tv here... just one abnormal birth after another. I'm shocked every time. They have these women laying on their backs complaining how much it hurts. Well, no wonder, you're laying on your back! You have to move around!
And so they always need epidurals and can't even tell when to push...it just seems so unneccesary....
#17 of 36 Old 04-20-2004, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowy Owl
just one abnormal birth after another.
The thing that's so cool about this though is that watching this show while I was preggo with DD was what convinced me to start doing more research and ultimately led me to drug-free childbirth. I swear 50% of births on that show are c-section! It scared the willies out of me.
#18 of 36 Old 04-21-2004, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

butterflyma,
how are you going to do the placenta print? touch it to a big piece of paper for a "stamp" for keeping?
thanks!
#19 of 36 Old 04-21-2004, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Tonight I went to a general hypnosis class at a bookstore nearby. I must order some hypnobirthing tapes & get started right away!

The instructor was talking about the importance of the baby's comfort, hunger, & security --esp. during the first 24 hours.

This made me sad that the hospital required dd to be in the nursery for "monitoring" b/c her temperature was "low" after birth.: I wish she could have been held & close to me or dh.

I've not gotten a massage for a little while, so I'm looking forward to that... tomorrow!! and I'm getting my monthly chiropractic adjustment following, which makes me feel great.

I'm so excited!! This is a fun time. It's hard to believe that I'm at 27 weeks... surreal.

Hope all of you are well .
#20 of 36 Old 04-21-2004, 01:49 AM

I will be 30 weeks on saturday! Holy Cow! Time flies when I'm not watching the calendar all the time, and have a toddler to look after (and clean after, and run after...)
#21 of 36 Old 04-21-2004, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

I just ordered the calm birth cd @ www.calmbirth.org & Having a Baby Naturally book @ www.half.com. I'm looking forward to reading this & listening to the CD.
#22 of 36 Old 04-21-2004, 05:56 PM

I will also complete my 30th week on Saturday!

I aplogize for not posting more. I have developed a nasty m/s which happens mostly at night. I have dropped some weight and my doc and I are talking about an antinausea med, but I doubt I would take it.... It doesn't stop the vomiting.

Moo is doing great. She is measuring just fine and moving around and poking me. Unlike Goo, we can now play "Name that body part!" I keep getting an oval shape that I am sure is the foot!

Keeping an eye on things with the doc (haven;t I said before that I LOVE her!) She is so calm and just loves to talk and make sure I am doing fine. I need to print out my birth plan again! HA! This time I know more of what to expect so I can go in knowing that everything I expect is going out the window!

I will need the GBS test as the hospital I am going to is a PITA about that and I was GBS+ with Goo.

Let's see, we painted the baby room, removed the yucky carpet and we have a new area rug for the hardwood floor. Added a new door to the room and have all of the furniture we need. I need to get Goo's infant clothes from the attic for Moo so I can have them ready. Yeah, I'd say I am nesting!

The placenta? I've decided that it will go as medical waste. I am not at all interested with keeping it or ingesting it. I know, what a werido I am!

Snowy Owl- I swear they ONLY show the births that are abnormal on that show. I've stopped watching it because it made me feel strange to watch all of these women suffering so much
#23 of 36 Old 04-21-2004, 06:23 PM

Just checking in!
organizing and re-organizing everything
got the crib set up...and found ther perfect bedding for it on clearance at pottery barn!

got back from colorado and MIL doesn't know what heppened to my baby stuff...*sigh* it's not her fault, I left it at her place for 3 yrs...but now I'm outta all the diapers I thought I saved...SO been stocking up!

got my baby registry done and my mom's planning a shower for early June!

my next project is to re-vamp the laundry room...needs dry wall..new tile flooring and some love... I'll be spending a lot of time in there washing dipes, after all!

~mama to some wonderful kids
#24 of 36 Old 04-21-2004, 10:00 PM

Interesting. I was just looking through the hospital packet today and they have 5 pages on breastfeeding and how it is best and a special packet on circ and giving pros and cons. I thought this was really nice. They are starting to actually give options to people and give them research.

So refreshing to not have certain practices thrown at you...
#25 of 36 Old 04-26-2004, 03:16 PM

Hi everyone, it's been quiet for a few days so thought i'd get things going. We've gone to two sessions of our birthing class, which is led by a doula and lactation consultant and am ecstatic about the stuff that she's teaching us. DH is finally feeling supportive about us having a natural birth!!! (up to this point, he would poo-poo the idea each time I brought it up and I was getting very worried that he would really f*ck up my birth experience). He's not understanding why it makes sense to go without the drugs if you don't need them.

THAT being said, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes (I took the test because diabetes is very prevalent in my family - both sides - and contributed to the death of two of my grandparents and my father so I take it very seriously). With this diagnosis, it's very possible that I may need to have more medical intervention than I wanted but there'll be no way to truly know until the time is right. I'm meeting with a perinatologist and nutritionist on Thursday to plan out a diet and so far have been winging it ---- I MISS ICE CREAM!!

The patuti has been moving a lot lately and I have to say, those moments make it all worth it! I am now 27+ weeks and SO EAGER for the weeks to go by. At the same time, there's till so much to do. I haven't bought much of anything and am waiting for the Memorial Day sales to do the real shopping. Am having lots of mental nesting going on but physically I'm still not quite doing much ....... but I suspect this is the week where my nesting instict will prevail over my laziness!!
#26 of 36 Old 04-27-2004, 12:55 PM

Snowbaby-

Sorry about the GD diagnosis. That sucks. I would miss ice cream too.

Can you ask DH if he would take medicine every time he could? If you don't need it then why take it?

He'll come around... I am sure he is nervous of seeing you in pain... Men are such wimps when it comes to pain....
#27 of 36 Old 04-28-2004, 01:04 AM

Hello,
Wow, are we all getting very close. Sometimes I get really overwhelmed with the thought and want to get a ton of stuff done (I don't, however) and other times I am still very anxious for time to pass to meet this babe. Lots of movement and everything is fine as far as the prenatal path goes. I am noticing that I am getting tired out quicker and bending over is getting HARD! I need to start gathering items for the birth, but then again, if it is before 37 weeks I will need to go to the hospital so I still have a bit of time. I guess I am too tired to say too much.
Hope everyone is well....
#28 of 36 Old 04-28-2004, 12:25 PM

I am having trouble deciding on a birth class~ just posted a lil poll in the main july thread~ please go vote!

I've already gotten the comment~"so anyday now, right?"

here are some updated belly shots~ 27 weeks now...I feel sooo huge!

http://photos.yahoo.com/sunpharee

anyone else brave enough to show off the belly? I'm so curious!

~mama to some wonderful kids
#29 of 36 Old 04-28-2004, 12:57 PM

Hello all
Snowbaby - sorry to hear about the GD diagnosis. I go in for my test next week - my dh is a medical student (soon to be doctor), so he won't hear of me skipping the test. I failed the first one with ds #1, so I'm expecting to have to do the three hour test as well. Good luck with your diet modifications - I hope it goes well.

I have been doing well lately - I'm pretty tired and had some sort of 24 hour bug yesterday, but overall I'm feeling good. I'm beginning to feel very big now too, which is fun!

My dh doesn't understand the desire to do a med-free birth this time around. With ds #1 he was very supportive and thought it was great that I wanted to go pain-med free. This time around he has had his rotation in obstetrics where he saw a lot of different births and said to me, "If you can lessen the pain with medication why wouldn't you?". Oh well, he knows that ultimately the choice is mine and will be supportive of whatever I choose.

Glad to hear so many are doing well!

Michelle - Mom to 3 very wonderful and very active boys   
#30 of 36 Old 04-28-2004, 02:18 PM

Stacey-

Only a person who hasn't been around pregnant women would say that to you! You look great for 27 weeks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page