*July Moms* (May 1-15) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 05-01-2004, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seems like it's time for the next thread....
#2 of 43 Old 05-02-2004, 08:40 PM

I'm doing ok. I'll be 31 weeks in 2 days. It's hard to believe it's getting so close. I'm feeling ok right now. I have pretty low hemoglobin and my ob wants to start iron injections next week if it doesn't improve. I have a hard time keeping food down because of a bad reflux and nausea so that is the reason for the anemia. I'm trying really hard with my diet right now so hopefully we will see improvement. I'm really tired and do have a lot of symptoms of anemia which i've never had before.

We have pretty much everything ready for the baby. We just need to wash the clothes and diapers. I would like to get a pouch sling before this babe is born because all we are using now is the Maya Wrap. I'm thinking of getting a Hotsling and have been looking at the Moby Wraps. The only other things we have to do are pack the bag for the hospital and put the carseat in the car.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#3 of 43 Old 05-03-2004, 12:48 AM

Wow, williamsmommy, you are ready already? I've just moved so I'm getting into my new place. I'm sorting through all my accumulated junk and finding some cool stuff (hey, I din't know I had one of those!!:LOL)

My baby, Haeven is keeping me busy as well. Always wants to do the things that I don't want her to. It's frustrating to say the least. I'm tired sometimes, because I'm growing a baby inside of me. I just want to sleep, glorious sleep. I actually think things will be easier when this new babe arrives, because I'll finally have milk... *sigh* 2 months to go.

I'm gonna post a pic~~~

eta: I posted some pics in my signature there.
#4 of 43 Old 05-03-2004, 03:45 PM

okay girls, i am finally trying to get back on the band wagon here! Sorry i've been away so long. life has been more than insane - the highlights include too much work for me and hubby, being really sick for a week, my sweet 2 year old's first illness, and an infection on my son's scratched penis! (don't ask, it's crazy!)
anyway, we are all on the mend now. my son decided to potty train himself so that is going pretty well. what a suprise it was! he is so sweet i can hardly stand it sometimes! I am feeling pretty well except for some serious pelvic and sacral pain sometimes. this babe is very active and head down already. (i'm 30 wks) now i am just getting nervous about getting everything done and ready before the baby comes!
now if i could just get one problem solved: where is this baby going to come in to the world??!! My birth center is closing may 30th so i am screwed! i can either drive to another birth center and have to worry about setting up a good relationship with them or have a homebirth. Here's the problems: the birth center is 40 min away with no traffic. unfortunately there is almost always traffic on weekdays and i will be birthing in july and it is right on the way to the beach, which means even worse traffic. hubby is quite nervous about the drive! The homebirth option sounds lovely to me but i still have to get hubby totally on board with it and i don't yet know how much insurance will pay. I don't mind paying for some but we can't swing too much! Sigh. I will just feel so much more settled when this is all figured out!
anyway, i should stop writing this book now and go clean my kitchen. hope you all are feeling well!
peace and health,

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#5 of 43 Old 05-04-2004, 02:58 AM

I guess you could say I am entering a nesting/panic phase. We have a small 2 bedroom house, and even though I know people live just fine in much smaller areas, I somehow can't seem to make everything fit! I've gotten all the cloth diapers for the new baby, and am trying to find a place to put them all. This involves taking the door off the closet, putting up a curtain, cleaning out the whole closet, maybe installing some shelving, etc. etc. We also had to buy a new dresser to accomodate clothing for 2 kids instead of 1, but haven't picked it up yet because we have no one to help dh carry it up the stairs, and I don't want to pay $70 to have it delivered.

Ds's 3rd birthday is May 15, and my evil twin decided to throw a birthday party. Now I have to get this house in shape, and only have 1.5 weeks to do it! Plus this weekend is my sister's birthday and mother's day. Looks like I'll be spending mother's day cleaning out closets! I figured it's better now than when I'm 9 months pregnant, so what am I waiting for. But I HATE throwing parties! I am a horribly nervous hostess, and I stress about everything. And in a moment of weakness dh convinced me to go ahead and invite all OUR friends (none of whom have kids), as it might be the last time we see everyone for awhile. I figure what the hell, how bad could it be? All our family and friends, in one small space, and me responsible for feeding and entertaining everyone? How do you hostesses do it?

Oh yeah, the baby. Everything seems to be going along just fine. My midwife is pretty sure the head is down already. I'm trying to find a refresher weekend birth class, but no luck yet. I'm also trying to figure out where the heck I'm going to put the birthing tub. I think I'll start a separate thread about that.

Can you tell I'm starting to get a little frantic? Would it be horrible of me to cancel mother's day plans with my inlaws and try to schedule a massage instead? I think I need to go do some deep breathing.
#6 of 43 Old 05-04-2004, 06:47 PM

sounds like we are all busy busy mamas!
chloe had her 4th birthday party! It was a blast!
pics~ http://photos.yahoo.com/sunpharee

I don't know about you gals...but with my 1st baby I had those AWFUL charlie horse like cramps in my legs..always in the middle of the night~waking up screaming..well I have been dreading it...and I've had one or two like that so far, but now I'm having them during the day, in my feet!! My foot cramps up, and I can't move my toes..can't walk..sometimes it lasts over a minute!
my midwife is coming for my 28 wk visit tomorrow, so I'll have to ask her about it...anyone else having this problem...? It *usually* happens in the mall or after I've been walking a bit.

other than that, things are really good..been keeping busy cleaning house, and doing a couple swaps at the TP...my sewing machine had to go into the shop to get serviced ...so I think I will use the extra free time to get a couple of closets organized.

I think the baby is head down..I took a bath and sat up~ like doing a sit up...and I could totally see the form of the little baby butt and arch of his back..it was so neat!
k~enough outta me

~mama to some wonderful kids
#7 of 43 Old 05-04-2004, 08:06 PM

I'm here but ds just woke and is downstairs alone and I heard somehting suspicious, followed by a "mama!"
gotta run!
#8 of 43 Old 05-04-2004, 10:03 PM

DH just told me he lost his job. He was "terminated".
I am angry and worried and scared. Dh has a long history of not being able to support us and he was finally getting his act together. He is defensive and acting as though its all fine, but it is not. We are just barely making it and that was with him working and me working 60%. I don't get paid in the summer and I go down to 40% in the fall.
I am so sad that I have to deal with this right now.
#9 of 43 Old 05-04-2004, 11:19 PM

Hugs to you Dalai Mama!! I know it's hard, but everything will work itself out. And I can totally relate! I have been carrying the financial stuff for a while now with my home biz and it's really hard. DH is in a career crossroads *grrr*. He's been bartending part-time. But somehow we've managed for about a year now on two half-incomes. Go figure. I hope you guys get it all together!!
#10 of 43 Old 05-04-2004, 11:28 PM

dalai mama-sorry that you are going through this. Things do have a way have working out. I know it doesn't really help, but we have been in that position too. It sucks, but it is temporary. Hang in there!

sunfairy-I have had the foot cramp thing happen to me twice so far. Had leg cramps with my first two. Very strange.

I am turning 30 weeks this week! I still have to get a fishy pool and get my birthing stuff together (towels, drinks food, etc) and need to wash up everything for the baby. I feel like I still have some time. I am so busy lately! Looking forward to slowing down and having nothing to do before baby gets here. I feel good physically, just need the slow down mentally.

Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#11 of 43 Old 05-05-2004, 09:30 AM

Brandi - Are you saying I am not supposed to wait until 40 weeks to do all this? LOL! I feel like I have all the time in the world. I guess I don't.

When do ya'll think is the deadline for getting birth supplies together and washing baby's stuff? I pulled the 'bucket' car-seat yesterday out of storage. It had spider webs all over it. Is that bad?
#12 of 43 Old 05-05-2004, 12:01 PM

Bing! Your time now is up

I just get anxious to see baby, need things to do to help the time pass once I get in the home stretch. I would like to have all my stuff done by 35-36 weeks so I can relax and not feel like I am cutting it close. Besides I have a 4.5yo and 2.5yo that keep me plenty busy, so I want to be prepared. There isn't much I need to do, it is just the thought that I have things left to do hanging over my head.
Brandi

reading.gif

love and light

#13 of 43 Old 05-05-2004, 02:48 PM

Dalai Mama: big hugs go out to you. I am sorry you have to deal with this right now.

I am doing ok. I've actually been able to eat this week, sort of. The crazy part has been the visitors. My mother and father are visiting right now. I love them, but MAN am I ready for them to leave! Last week, we had MIL and FIL. They didn't drive me quite as nuts, but then again, I think it drove DH crazy.

Goo is LOVING the attention. And the spoiling she is getting. Sigh...can't wait until they head home. I love family, perferrably across the country!

I am going to try to add a photo link here: These were taken May 4, two calendar months before my due date. DH and I went out to a nice dinner with friends.
Photo of Foobar

one of these days, that wallpaper is coming down!

Moo is doing great, I am in pain from her movements, but hey, small price to pay for a beautiful life. I have an appointment on Friday and I have to ask about these cramps I've been getting. I have noticed that I am getting cramps that feel like pre-menstrual cramps. They aren't regular at all and they happen more when I am stressed. They don't feel like BH which are a different kind of pain. I didn't start contracting on my own with Goo, so I am not sure if these are early contractions or not...
#14 of 43 Old 05-05-2004, 03:23 PM

Hi all,
I am so dumb, I just wrote a really long message and then accidentally deleted it before I could post...

It is so interesting to hear that many of you are prepared for the birth...I am not due until July 30th, but I am doing childcare in my home and am planning on working until July 29th (my 2nd and 3rd babies were both born exactly 2 days past their due date so I am assuming this one will come August 1st, but what if I'm wrong??!). I have not done a thing to prepare (story of my life, I think I have sooo much time to get things done and then am frantic trying to be ready on time), our house is MESSY, our birthing tub (which is just an old, funky jacuzzi tub that we have not used in almost 3 years because it is too expensive to heat) still has water from 3 years ago in it...too gross to contemplate! I have only rags for diapers because my son used them for over 3 and a half years, and whenever my inlaws decide to sell (we live in their old house, they moved away) we have to be out, which could be a month, 6 months, or maybe (HOPEFULLY!!!) more...
Am wondering if anyone else is worried about sharing the bed with an older child and new baby...my 4 year old sleeps between dh and I and I always get kicked in the face by him and have to keep a pillow over my belly because he kicks there, too. Obviously I will try to keep baby on my other side but baby will need access to both breasts in the night, sooo...... I have been putting him to sleep as always in our bed but then transferring him to a childsize futon right beside the bed when I go to sleep for the night around midnight, but he never stays in for more than an hour..

I look forward to hearing from you other July mamas!!
#15 of 43 Old 05-05-2004, 06:15 PM

LLLkerry~~ I have concerns about how we're all going to fit in the bed as well. It's just me (and ) and my DD right now on a double mattress futon. I would like to get a child-size futon for haeven. Maybe one of those futon chairs would work. They're pretty small. I've also been wondering how am I going to BF two babies in bed????? But I've been studying Adventures in Tandem Nursing, so I'm getting a lot of helpful hints.

I'm getting all settled in my new place (ahhhhh), finally. I can nest like a real pregnant mama bear. I'm obsessive about sorting and re-sorting all the baby paraphanelia (cloth diapers, girl clothes, boy clothes...) they are sooo tiny!

Foobar~lookin' good! That a pretty nice sized belly! Did you see my pic? It's in my signature. I'm due on the same weekend. That picture is from about 3 weeks ago, though.
#16 of 43 Old 05-05-2004, 06:19 PM

Oh, ya, just remembered I wanted to say that magnesium is what I take for cramps. I also take coral calcium (which is supposed to be the best kind you can get)so that I don't upset the cal/mag balance.
#17 of 43 Old 05-06-2004, 10:53 AM

Mammajazz!

Yes, I saw your photos! You look so slender! How do you do it? I've only gained about 20 lbs, so what you saw is almost all belly and breast!

We only co-sleep as needed (ie, when Goo really wants a warm body, she is a non-touchy feely type), so I am not too worried about the space issues. We realized when Goo was born that we could never fit 2 kids in our house, so we moved to a different community when she was 9 months old. Now we have enough room for everyone to have their own room and if the girls want to share when they are older, we are more than willing to make one a bedroom and one a playroom.

I am getting nervous about dropping again. Goo dropped early, but then came on her due date. I don't know if Moo will drop early or not or what this means in a second pregnancy.....

Does anyone have experience on dropping early in the second pregnancy?
#18 of 43 Old 05-06-2004, 02:48 PM

I'm actually pretty tall .........so as my family says, the baby is standing up in there. My DD was not a tiny baby, much to the suprise of my midwives, myself, and my partner. I eat when I'm hungry, mostly organic, I just don't over-do anything, including the absurd RDA for protein.

About dropping, I can't really say, because my DD was always low, and so is this one. I have very little muscle tone (double-jointed). I know this is TMI, but I can feel the baby's head inside me, through the wall of the vagina, very close to the opening (like half a finger-length). But my DD was 9 days overdue, so I'm not worried about pre-term labour.
#19 of 43 Old 05-10-2004, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, you gals made me anxious. DH and I have nothing ready yet. I have like 2 onesides, about 4 diapers, three sidesnap tshirts, a pack of socks and one cap. That's it. We still have tons of preparing to do, not to mention house repairs. I thought that Memorial Day weekend would be a good weekend to shop (sales!) for everything, but it's going to be one very exhausting weekend.

I've gotten those leg cramps also, mostly at night on my calves. But I finally learned that they tend to come when I stretch or point my toes while lying in bed so now I try not to do that and, in fact, last night a cramp started and I "flexed" (toes toward head) really fast and managed to fend it off.

I'm going to be 30 weeks at the end of this week and just can't believe it. It feels so close and yet ........ I also feel like I have all the time in the world to get ready. However, as a first timer I'm probably neglecting the fact that I may not feel like doing anything (or be able to do too much, too fast) after 35 weeks.

Glad to hear you all are doing so well.

Dalai Mama - sorry to hear about your dH's job .. it is definitely bad timing.
#20 of 43 Old 05-10-2004, 04:41 PM

Did I scare everyone away?? Ooops. Lets get our thread hopping again. I'd love to hear how everyone is doing.

I've been reading Ina May's guide to Childbirth... great book. I'm still wanting to read unassisted childbirth, by laura shanley before I have the baby... I'm looking for a copy if you've got one.

I've been trying to do a bunch of things before the baby is born... paint haeven's toybox, find a scale to weigh the baby, see about birth certificate, finish haeven's quilt, make wiping cloths, as you can tell, I'm an artsy-fartsy type. I love to make things with my hands.

gotta run...
#21 of 43 Old 05-10-2004, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Did I scare everyone away??
yes..I'm not talking to you cuz your such a beautiful pregnant mama, whose prolly not even going to have a *hint* of a stretchmark next summer...lol

#22 of 43 Old 05-10-2004, 05:05 PM

Hello all!

Mamajaza - you sound busy getting ready! I haven't been doing all that much specific baby preparation, but I have been hit with the nesting instinct BIG TIME. We just moved to a new house, so I installed new shelves in the laundry room, fixed the dryer connection, organized our hall closet and replaced the front doorknob this weekend. My dh is in New Hampshire this month for his last rotation (yeah!), so that's why I was the one fixing around the house. I really enjoyed it, but was sooo tired when all was said and done.

I just found out at my dr.'s appointment last week that I am anemic - which explains how exhausted I've been lately. So I'm trying to get as much iron into my diet as possible. If it's not better by my next appointment I might have to take prescribed iron - which I'm doing my best to avoid.

Anyone else fail their one hour test for Gestational Diabetes? I took my three hour test on Saturday - hopefully I'll pass that one.

Dalai mama - I'm sorry about your dh's job - hopefully everything will turn out well.

Take care everyone

ETA - I cross posted with sunfairy - I haven't seen anyone's pregnant belly pictures, but I'm sure we're all radiant!

Michelle - Mom to 3 very wonderful and very active boys   
#23 of 43 Old 05-10-2004, 08:05 PM

Thansk for the support about the terrible timing of DH and his job. . .he's got several freelance jobs lined up, so he's hoping that will carry us through. So, finger's crossed!
My NP got them to call off the hounds on Kaiser's useless "Preterm Labor Prevention Program". Now, I've discovored that they labled me high risk b/c I elected to sign up for that stupid program. : so now I have to fix that before I get the book thrown at me in L&D. Luckily, if my Np can't change that mistake, the new head of L&D where I'll be birthing is the one OB I would trust to see there, so I can just make an appointment with him to fix it. Sure wish I didn't have the hassle though. *sigh*
On an exciting note~my mom sent me a Maya Wrap Pouch for Mother's Day! It's so pretty and looks like it will actually fit me! My OTSBH was huge, just way too much fabric to keep my ds safe until he was close to a year old. When I first looked at the pouch, I thought, how in the world is baby going to fit in this, then I realized that it's a pouch! : :LOL
We've got the carseat too and a ton of hand me down clothes that I need to wash and sort. Another friend is giving us a full set of diapers, so all I need are covers. Then, I think we should be set. Feels like we have a ton of time, but I guess we don't!
#24 of 43 Old 05-10-2004, 08:22 PM

I don't feel like I have that much time left... I'm 32 weeks already! WOW... Isn't that 8 months?http://www.avera.org/adam/1st_trimes...aldev_tool.htm check this out!
#25 of 43 Old 05-11-2004, 02:14 PM

Neat link mamajaza. My girls really like that one! I am 30.5 weeks. Looking forward to allergy season to be over! My energy level has been good, nesting like crazy. I was sewing a lot, but have run out of things to sew for the moment (as if that was possible!) finishing up a cotton crocheted blanket for baby. I made a girly one and am now making a boy one. Dh and I are thinking this must be a boy-I am just not gaining like I did with the girls. And I have so much more energy. I am getting so excited. It seems like it has been so long since I have nursed a newborn. My second dd, seemed so grown up right from the start, it was almost as if she was not really a baby.
Brandi

reading.gif

love and light

#26 of 43 Old 05-11-2004, 02:45 PM

is anyone else on a music kick~or am i just weird?

prior to pregnancy, i would go on little sprees of only listening to natalie or tori, for a few days....but this WHOLE ENTIRE pregnancy I only want to listen to dave matthews...when I'm not listening, the songs are always in my head...i'm printing out lyrics and singing to myself on the rare days I have to go to work..lol

the baby loves it...whenever its on in the car...he starts *dancing*
and DMB is coming to phoenix aug 24th and I'm trying to convince DH that its ok for a 3wk old to attend a dave matthews show....lawn seats of course..in an open ampitheatre....he still looks at me like I'm crazy..LOL

suggesting me and dd go and leave him with some pumped breastmilk in a bottle....
but...I don't wanna leave my 3 wk old and give him a bottle...I vote we all go..

ok..*done rambling*
off to listen to dave....

#27 of 43 Old 05-11-2004, 04:51 PM

I'm here, just in pain...

Moo has started to drop. I am in my 33rd week. I finish this week on Saturday, so I am a wee bit concerned about this.

I also pulled down the infant seat and decided to just order new straps. It was quite gross and I washed the padding and it came out great, but those straps ICK.

I am getting very tired and sore. DH is planning to take half days in June so I can sleep on Monday afternoons (I stay at home with Goo on Mondays and Fridays).

Do you think it is bad to negotiate the arrival time with the baby? I'm trying to talk Moo into sometime around weeek 37 would be nice for everybody.....
#28 of 43 Old 05-11-2004, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar

Do you think it is bad to negotiate the arrival time with the baby? I'm trying to talk Moo into sometime around weeek 37 would be nice for everybody.....
Nope. MY ds was early and I was on bedrest with preterm labor for a month before he showed up. From the moment I found out I was pregnant, I've let this little one know that we're free for a birthday anytime after week 37 with no preterm labor. So far she seems to be complying.
Sorry for the early drop. I'd be worried too (now isn't that helpful!), but I do remember that you said your dropped early with Foo, but she was born at term. Does that ease your mind at all?
#29 of 43 Old 05-11-2004, 10:25 PM

Thanks Dalai mama,

I am scared because I just don't know how strong the cervix is the secodn time around.... Goo went pretty low when she dropped (0 station).

Good to know other negotiate with their babies!
#30 of 43 Old 05-12-2004, 12:27 AM

Wow, May has started out to be a fun thread...lots of energy it seems. As always, I have not posted in forever. Reading all the posts, I feel like I am the only one who does not have it together! How do you all find the time to do things like sew??? I have not stitched a thing since my before my two year old was born. I feel like I can barely keep my house close to anything resembling order (my husband saves everything and is involved in soooo many activist groups and committees that we have enough paper propaganda for a lifetime of painting projects). Further, I have been exhausted due to a very intense sinus infection that I have had for a week and a half now. I tried very hard to deal with it naturally, but was unable to clear it out and when my head threatened to explode even on extra strength tylenol, I went on antibiotics. I took amox. for a week with very little relief so then needed to switch to zithromax. I am on the second day, hopefully this will take care of it. I do not want to think about taking anything stronger. The abx make me feel slightly nauseous, but so far no yeast infection, trying to push the acidophilus. With not feeling so well I have been very emotional and am bothered my pretty insignificant things like our messy house (nothing new) or the bedroom not being quite how I want it for the birth. I also feel like I have much less patience with my daughter which makes me feel sad. It's not that I yell or anything I just get very frustrated. So, tell me all your secrets to getting stuff done....
Co-sleeping...I to have concerns about our two year olds kicks in the night, but I have a co sleeper from her birth (she never slept in it) so I think I may utilize it more this time.
Leg cramps...I get em in the morning when I stretch my legs out. If I quickly stretch the other way the go away. My chiropracter recc. minerals too, but that hasn't really seemed to help me.
getting ready for the birth...I have been thinking about it! No action yet. Last time I got all my supplies at work ( I am an ob nurse) They think I am a little out there for delivering at home so I think they feel that a supply care package is the least they can do. I think it would be hilarious if I went into labor at work and left to go home and have my babe
A positive note, everything is in bloom here, so beautiful!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page