Night light: what are you going to use? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-27-2004, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What will you use for a night light? lamp, plug-in light?

At our old house, we left the closet light on & closed the doors. It worked perfectly. I don't know what we'll do here. Maybe I'll buy a little night light--or I'll turn on the hall light & leave the door open a little. (I like to sleep in the dark.) But, I want to be able to quickly respond to baby, change diapers, nurse, etc.
#2 of 16 Old 05-27-2004, 03:34 AM

We don't have a nightlight in our bedroom, as I just always found it to irritating to me. I have a hard time sleeping unless it's completely dark. We leave the kitchen stove light on, which is not very bright, but our bedroom door is kind of adjacent to the kitchen, so with that open a crack there is just enough light to see once your eyes adjust.

However, in the room down the hall where we change diapers and baby clothes, my dh installed a dimmer switch for those middle of the night changes.
#3 of 16 Old 05-27-2004, 04:56 AM

We have a half bath in our bedroom so I usually leave it on with the door opened a crack. When we lived in our other apt. though I used to have a night light.

Michelle
#4 of 16 Old 05-27-2004, 11:44 AM

WE'll just turn on the hallway light and use that for light for those overnights. It's what we did with Goo and it worked well.
#5 of 16 Old 05-27-2004, 12:39 PM

We cosleep and I like the bedroom dark, dark, dark and so don't use a nightlight. For diper changes in the middle of the night, I turn on the hall light and change the babe on the bed.
#6 of 16 Old 05-27-2004, 02:08 PM

We already have a plug in night light in our room. Our five year old comes into our room some nights and sleeps in a sleeping bag on our floor. He needs light to find his way.

Even before I was married I had a nightlight. I had a home invasion once while I was sleeping and ever since I've needed some light in the room at night. It was a simple cure for my PTSD!
#7 of 16 Old 05-27-2004, 02:43 PM

Our saltwater aquarium light is on all night. It's in our bedroom and really cool to wake up at night and look at. So relaxing...
#8 of 16 Old 05-27-2004, 08:56 PM

We have a dimmer switch in our bedroom, so that will do for us, plus we have a nightlight in the bedroom bathroom, so I can find the dimmer switch :LOL . We co-sleep too, and I am curious to see how ds will respond to the middle of the night wakings!
#9 of 16 Old 05-28-2004, 10:10 PM

I hadn't even thought of this yet. With ds, we had a dim lamp in his room that we partially draped with a cloth. I would turn it on for diaper changes and to nurse. But with this baby, we're planning on cosleeping. And ds sleeps with us for part of the night.

We'll probably use the closet light with the door partway open. It shines into the bathroom, which is open to our bedroom via cathedral ceiling. So by the time the light gets to the bedroom, it's dim enough to sleep through.
#10 of 16 Old 05-29-2004, 05:30 AM

we're planning on cosleeping (again). w/ my son (when he was old enough to be in his own rooom) we used one of those little plug-in lights that go flat against the wall, that's not really a light, just a "space age" glowy thing... they last forever and are really economical. not too bright either.

for night diaper changes i plan to get a small nightlight to have by our bed / changing table area (we're going to have the changing table next to the bed).
#11 of 16 Old 07-03-2004, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

I found a sea salt night light on ebay & got it! It's supposed to put great ions in the air. At least I got something! I hope it has health benefits, too, though.

We live in the country, and it's pretty dark here (no outside lights, street lights, etc.) unless it's a full moon & really clear.
#12 of 16 Old 07-03-2004, 08:15 AM

We used one of those lights that you press the top down on, the kind that sit on a table top. Not sure of the name, but we got it at Target for $3 or so. We just kept it on the changing table or on the nightstand so we could see when we had to get up. I'd have a nightlight but DH needs a dark room to sleep.

Teaching wife & mama knit.gif  to my not so little ones - DS (10) drum.gif and DD (8) dust.gif

#13 of 16 Old 07-03-2004, 10:14 AM

I'm waiting on a tap light from a trade, to put near the changing table..and also the hall light will work too

~mama to some wonderful kids
#14 of 16 Old 07-11-2004, 10:06 PM

I've been using a flashlight to get Lila latched on in the middle of the night. So far it has worked pretty well. I just have to remember to put it away during the day, otherwise ds puts it "away" for me!
#15 of 16 Old 07-11-2004, 10:36 PM

we're planning on keeping a little nightlight / nightstand lamp next to the changing table. i'm not sure what we'll put it on... maybe drag out an old computer case or something. :LOL
#16 of 16 Old 07-13-2004, 08:37 PM

gee.. i haven't really thought about this yet... it's still light 24/7 here (and we have no real drapes..just some sheer fabric) ...but soon it will be very, very dark.perhaps I will need to buy some lamps.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page