Has anyone had a cervical check yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-04-2004, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My MW likes to do a baseline check at 36 weeks, and then not again until labor unless requested. I had mine done last week... one cm, not very effaced yet.

Anyone else? Will you/do you get cervical checks at your weekly visits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 07-04-2004, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had three. At almost 37 weeks I was closed. At 38 weeks I was 1 1/2cm dialated 80% effaced and -1 station. At 39 weeks there was no change. My ob does them every week starting at 36 weeks. I'm gbs- so i'm not that against it. Also, I was induced with my last pregnancy and had almost no change at the time. Every little bit encourages me into thinking I won't have to go through that again.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#3 of 18 Old 07-04-2004, 04:41 PM

I had one at my 36 wk checkup, along with the strep test... she said I was super soft and would prolly respond quickly to contractions
and that she could get a fingertip in, but didn't want to accidently rupture anything so she didn't try for more

so does that mean I'm 1cm??? or closed?

~mama to some wonderful kids
#4 of 18 Old 07-04-2004, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's a difference between a fingertip and one cm... I believe at 1 cm a practitioner can insert a finger. A fingertip is slightly open but not able to insert a finger.
#5 of 18 Old 07-04-2004, 06:53 PM

I can't feel my cervix at all, it is still pretty high. That does not mean much though, it could pop right down and be dialated in a matter of moments (that is what I am believing because I am feeling so ready to have this baby! ) I don't think I will be seeing my midwife until after the babe is born (we are having an unassisted) so I am having to rely on my own checks, which I told myself I would not do or care about because this baby will come when ready regardless of me knowing the progress, but I am so anxious so I tried. I have not had an internal check by anyone besides myself since my first pregnancy, so I really am just trying to go with the flow. Does not mean I am still very curious! It is getting harder to distract myself to get each day to pass by. I want to be busy so time passes quickly, but I also want to rest I know, babe will be in my arms SOON!!!!!!

Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#6 of 18 Old 07-04-2004, 07:56 PM

I've been having this annoying prodromal labor for over a week, and got so frustrated last wednesday that my mw came over and checked me. 3cm, and soft but not stretchy... Anyway, still crampy but sleeping well, and almost 39 weeks. Will baby hang out until after the due date? That's the big question....
#7 of 18 Old 07-04-2004, 08:04 PM

i had one a couple of weeks ago, then i tried to do one myself + it didn't work... my SO checked me again a few days ago. i'm still about 2-3 cm.

i'm not planning on checking again.
#8 of 18 Old 07-04-2004, 10:33 PM

I haven't had one (I was 38 weeks on 7-03), and I don't think I'll request one at my next appt (7-05). While I would love to hear encouraging news like, "Oh! You're 75% effaced and 3cm dilated!", it wouldn't really be helpful as far as telling *when* this baby's coming. I've been effaced and 3+ cm dilated for 3 weeks (baby #2), and I've been closed and firm at 40 weeks, then had the baby 4 days later (baby #3). So, who knows!

Joni, due 7-17-ish
#9 of 18 Old 07-05-2004, 10:53 AM

I had one at 37 weeks at my request because I'd had a lot of strong contractions, although my OB doesn't start them until 38 weeks. Now it's weekly.

DH tried checking but he didn't have a clue what he was doing so I don't think we'll bother again. I'm the one who told him he'd reached my cervix.

Teaching wife & mama knit.gif  to my not so little ones - DS (10) drum.gif and DD (8) dust.gif

#10 of 18 Old 07-06-2004, 11:58 PM

I had a few before Moo was born. They did one in May when I had the pre-term contractions. I was 1 cm then.Then once we got closer to the 37 week point, I had once or twice a week.
I was still only 2 cm when I went to the doctors office on the 24th and only 3 cm when I got to the hospital.

While I liked to know where I was, it didn't really change anything.
#11 of 18 Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 PM

I've had 2 but I don't ask what they can feel. It doesn't seem to make any difference. Honestly, I am a little bored with my appointments and have been for most of the pregnancy. I just don't see the point of having someone tell me that everything is fine when I can already tell that everything is fine!
#12 of 18 Old 07-07-2004, 03:05 PM

I haven't had one yet with this pregnancy. She doesn't do them unless I request one. This is with a reg. medical doctor. She says that since this my 3rd I will probably be dialated anyway and it really isn't an indicator of labor. I must add that I'm getting pretty curious since I was 2cm for a long time with my last pregnancy.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#13 of 18 Old 07-08-2004, 02:56 AM

Kaiser doesn't do them until 40 weeks unless you are having a problem. I'll have my GBS screen next week (38 weeks) and will ask to NOT have one if they suggest it).
#14 of 18 Old 07-08-2004, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Kaiser doesn't do them until 40 weeks unless you are having a problem.
i was with kaiser w/ my first and they did them at every visit. i had no problems at all.

(yes, i am still upset about that. )
#15 of 18 Old 07-08-2004, 02:22 PM

Quote:
i was with kaiser w/ my first and they did them at every visit. i had no problems at all.

(yes, i am still upset about that. )
WOW! I'm really surprised. I know people who have had babies at Kaiser Santa Rosa, Kaiser Vallejo, Kaiser Redwood City and this is my third at Walnut Creek. NONE of us have had cervical checks until we were at or past our due dates (except one friend who insisted at her 38 week check-up and a woman at my LLL group who was in preterm labor). My cousin had her baby in '95 and this was definitely the case in Santa Rosa then!

My LLL group is always in so thrilled with how Kaiser in this area is because of the extremely low interventions they do and their very positive stance on breastfeeding!
#16 of 18 Old 07-08-2004, 05:09 PM

got checked by a doc. at 36 weeks:
1 cm & 60 % effaced

won't get checked again probably. unless I decide to try to check myself... not sure what to feel for... I might try it.
#17 of 18 Old 07-08-2004, 07:45 PM

Quote:
WOW! I'm really surprised. I know people who have had babies at Kaiser Santa Rosa, Kaiser Vallejo, Kaiser Redwood City and this is my third at Walnut Creek. NONE of us have had cervical checks until we were at or past our due dates (except one friend who insisted at her 38 week check-up and a woman at my LLL group who was in preterm labor). My cousin had her baby in '95 and this was definitely the case in Santa Rosa then!

My LLL group is always in so thrilled with how Kaiser in this area is because of the extremely low interventions they do and their very positive stance on breastfeeding!

my sister and i both had nothing but terrible birth + pregnancy experiences w/ kaiser. i'm glad that you all are having better experiences than we did!!
#18 of 18 Old 07-08-2004, 11:27 PM

I didn't have any cervical checks with this baby at all. I didn't want any - I was GBS+ with ds and didn't want to increase any chance of infection.

For me, it was a liberating experience during labor. I could trust my body instead of paying attention to numbers. Of course, I went into labor two weeks early and was only in active labor for 3 hours, 13 minutes. I didn't really have time to wonder about what my cervix was doing!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page