Life with babe/postpartum mamas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 07-09-2004, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone suggested awhile back of having a continuing thread once the babes were here. I think that would be great since babies will be appx. the same ages. I already have some things here and there that I would love to discuss. I can't believe my baby is 3 weeks old today!!!! He's already gained a pound!!! Lots of milk here, sometimes it squirts him in the face when he pulls off when there is let down. How are all those babes out there?? How are all you postpartum mamas feeling??
#2 of 66 Old 07-09-2004, 10:23 PM

Moo is wonderful! ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!

I love her to peices. Goo LOVES her and tries so hard to take care of her. She is always there when I go to change Moo or feed her. She is helping a ton! I am very happy about that.

Here's a photo of Goo, Moo and I (and Goo's doll Ruby!)
Goo, Moo, Foo and Ruby the doll

I borrowed a friend's Maya Wrap. Moo LOVES it! She is such a cuddler! So unlike Goo was at birth!
#3 of 66 Old 07-10-2004, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwifer
Someone suggested awhile back of having a continuing thread once the babes were here. I think that would be great since babies will be appx. the same ages.
I think it would be so fun to continue!!
#4 of 66 Old 07-10-2004, 03:38 PM

I felt SO good the day after Lila was born! I felt like I had ARRIVED. No yucky hospital birth to recover from. Then the next day I was floored by this UTI/uterine infection. The uterine infection cleared up on the first day of antibiotics, but I ran a fever for three days.

Lila will be a week old tonight, and I'm finally on the mend. Getting ready to go take a nap.

Lila is an easy baby!! I do think that almost any baby would seem easy after ds, though! He was high maintenance right from the start. But Lila sleeps a lot. She nurses well, then goes right back to sleep. Ds would nurse for hours, then stay awake and scream.

Ds's transition has been kind of rocky. He's having a hard time being away from me. He has been spending lots of time with friends this week while I rest. Dh is worn out, too. And when he's tired, his has no patience for ds's acting out.

In fact, I hear a battle beginning downstairs right now. Off to investigate.
#5 of 66 Old 07-10-2004, 07:14 PM

I had my DD yesterday, and I feel great!!! Childbirth was amazingly painless, and so empowering (unassisted waterbirth)...ahhhhhh. I'm so glad to be done with being pregnant!

How long did it take you mommas for your milk to come in?
#6 of 66 Old 07-12-2004, 11:17 PM

Mamajazz

Congrats!

My milk came in on Monday and Moo was born on a Thursday....
Unfortunately, as I am ff, I went through the engorgment then, but I was pretty full very quickly....
#7 of 66 Old 07-13-2004, 02:16 PM

Lila was born on a Saturday night, and my milk came in on Thursday. It had started to switch over from colostrum the day before. Ds did his part to help my milk come in! He is very happy to have his nursie milk back.

Lila is more wakeful now that the good stuff is in! She is still a sleepyhead, but she nurses at least every three hours.

How are your older kids dealing with the new baby transition? Things are starting to feel more normal with ds. We haven't had any whiny stuff or screaming fits today.
#8 of 66 Old 07-13-2004, 04:34 PM

I'm so glad to hear that moms and babies are doing so well. Bonnie and I are doing good, too. I can't believe she'll be a month old on Saturday -- I was supposed to be still pregnant. I can hardly remember what being pregnant felt like. Bonnie gets weighed tomorrow and I can hardly wait to see what the scale says - I know she's bigger, but I don't know how much.
Bonnie was born on a Saturday, and my milk came in on Tuesday...so that's about 4 days. Bf-ing was pretty rocky for the first two weeks, but we're much better now. I love the public health nurse - she's made a huge difference.
-cheryl
#9 of 66 Old 07-13-2004, 08:01 PM

Milks in, don't have to worry about that anymore. Man, I forgot how FULL those boobs can get, they hurt. I'm tandem nursing, so I think I have a lot more milk to deal with. But it's good, baby is getting fat already
#10 of 66 Old 07-16-2004, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Sy will be a month old tomorrow, I can't believe it! Time goes so much quicker with the second. We are doing well, just tired. My daughter is starting to settle in and decreasing the whining and other strange behaviors that appeared with a new brother. She is still so excited about nursing again, I am tandem nursing, but I have to tell her no a fair amount or I think she would nurse all day long. It is our major issue that leads to difficult behavior, other than that she is super sweet to Sy and says the cutest things to him. Sy is getting some cheeks!! I have loads of milk I think, the poor babe has to gulp to keep up. Sometimes he will pull off to take abreak and then get showered in milk because it is still shooting out. I think all the gulping causes him some gas pains even though I do my best to always get a few burps out of him.
Anyone else love coffee, but are conflicted with BF? I have some here and there, but try not to very often. Mmm, Latte, I would love to sip one every day.
Off to my family bed.....
#11 of 66 Old 07-16-2004, 12:46 PM

tandem nursing... it's a challenge. I have a lot of milk now, but my NB is just sooo tiny compared to my toddler. I end up saying no quite often, and the ensuing tantrum.... I'm really protective of the little one.

My toddler is also a hitter, and has ALREADY hit the baby a few times. I think it's because she wants attention, she's too young yet to fully verbalize her needs. Argggg.

I started a thread in the "Life With A babe" forum...http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=169300
#12 of 66 Old 07-20-2004, 07:33 PM

It would be nice to continue. Im feeling back to normal slowly. Yesterday I was sooo tired though from running around the whole day. 3 little girls under 5 and a 3 week old is challenging. Not so much the infant but trying to tweak the routine with the infant being there. So far it has been ok thank God I find it easier this time than when I added my 2nd and then my 3rd. I just hope her temperament stays the way it has so far. My first was really quiet my second was the very fiesty one and my third was somewhere in between. This one seems to be like my first but when she wants her food she really lets it be known lol...

Michelle
#13 of 66 Old 07-20-2004, 11:59 PM

mleroux~ I noticed that you named your baby a variation of Samaya, which I named my baby. What a coincedence! I've never really heard this name before, and that's why I named her that, and the special meaning of the name. So what made you name your daughter Sumaiyah?
#14 of 66 Old 07-21-2004, 12:45 AM

Yeah mamajaza I noticed that too Ive seen it spelled differently in different places as well (Sumayah, Summayah, Sumayaa) My husband and I are Muslim so our kids names are Arabic ones. Sumaiyah in this case we chose because my dh really liked it and it was the name of the first martyr (my mommy brain is working hope thats the right spelling lol...) in Islam. My dh told me today that Sumaiyah means "a high place."

What is your interpretation of Samaya and what it means? I love the name because I love to give my girls nick names and this one is perfect to do that Maya, Sam, Sama... oh the possibilites lol....

Take care

Michelle now with 4 little women
#15 of 66 Old 07-21-2004, 12:04 PM

Hi everyone

My Selma will be 2 weeks tomarrow!! She already has multiple chins...can't wait to see how much she weighs at her appt tomarrow. We are doing fine here. My dd has had some jealousy issues but is getting better. I need to get off the computer and go play with her as babe is sleeping.

mLeroux- my husband and I are also Muslim and I love your baby's name. We considered it as a possibility for our baby. It would have been funny to have 3 July babies with the same name. We finally settled on Selma....a variation of Salam.

Hope everyone is feeling great...

jennifer

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
#16 of 66 Old 07-21-2004, 12:23 PM

I chose the name samaya just by feeling what would go well with maya. At first I thought the baby was a boy, so I was going to call him Nemaya, but when I saw her, I knew that name didn't go. So I chose this name for a combination of reasons, maya-ancient civilization that I'm very interested in..also means illusion, samaya is the sanskrit term for commitment to spiritual practice, also, there is a "wise woman" who writes new agey books with that name. I want Samaya to have all those qualities, as well as the ones that you have just mentioned. I didn't know this name was an islamic name as well, and the meaning is very beautiful.
#17 of 66 Old 07-21-2004, 10:31 PM

salam,

I really like the name Gehan too BTW I was considering it for this baby as well and yes I agree it would have been funny and cool to have had 3 girls with the same name on the board.

Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismom
Hi everyone

My Selma will be 2 weeks tomarrow!! She already has multiple chins...can't wait to see how much she weighs at her appt tomarrow. We are doing fine here. My dd has had some jealousy issues but is getting better. I need to get off the computer and go play with her as babe is sleeping.

mLeroux- my husband and I are also Muslim and I love your baby's name. We considered it as a possibility for our baby. It would have been funny to have 3 July babies with the same name. We finally settled on Selma....a variation of Salam.

Hope everyone is feeling great...

jennifer
#18 of 66 Old 07-21-2004, 10:33 PM

That is really nice mamajaza I really hope we can keep in touch here on MDC and share how our girls grow in to beautiful women.

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mamajaza*
I chose the name samaya just by feeling what would go well with maya. At first I thought the baby was a boy, so I was going to call him Nemaya, but when I saw her, I knew that name didn't go. So I chose this name for a combination of reasons, maya-ancient civilization that I'm very interested in..also means illusion, samaya is the sanskrit term for commitment to spiritual practice, also, there is a "wise woman" who writes new agey books with that name. I want Samaya to have all those qualities, as well as the ones that you have just mentioned. I didn't know this name was an islamic name as well, and the meaning is very beautiful.
#19 of 66 Old 07-22-2004, 11:45 AM

I can't wait to be a part of this club! I love all the beautiful names you guys chose! Congratulations to everyone! I have a few questions..I think for mamajaza if you have time to educate me..LOL

how do you use arnica during the last days of labor and then for delivery- I have some Hylands tablets that came with my first aid kit? Does anyone know about skullcap tincture for pain relief in labor?

and then, if a baby is born in the caul, that means the placenta and everything comes out at once in a nice little wrapped pkg? right?
: just pondering a few things on this homestretch....
stacey

~mama to some wonderful kids
#20 of 66 Old 07-22-2004, 12:38 PM

sunfairy~I took arnica as I felt I needed it . The kind that I have says to take 5 tables 3 times a day, or as needed. So I took them as needed, maybe 6-7 doses throughout the labour. I didn't take any before labour got going, but maybe you could do that. I also took some after the birth to help with healing. Arnica is good for healing bruises and sore muscles, BTW. So I also had the gel, which I re applied liberally as I kept getting in and out of the water.

Born in the caul means that the baby's head comes out with the ammniotic sac still intact. It popped as I felt her head through the sac. Cool experience. I always knew that my baby would be born "in the caul" if no one messed with my ammniotic sac.
#21 of 66 Old 07-22-2004, 12:41 PM

I also recommend using rescue remedy, motherwort (for after the delivery), and RRL tea. And when you use homeopathy, be careful of onions and strong ess. oils, cause they can off set the homeopathy.
#22 of 66 Old 07-22-2004, 04:17 PM

This being my first time around, I'm having a tougher time than some of you, it sounds. Slowly figuring out breastfeeding (I posted on the b/f board and got some AWESOME advice and support) and a new routine... DH and I are learning things like 1- carry around spare blankies and clothes when we go out with her; 2- don't leave her lying around w/out a diaper even for a min or you'll have a lot more laundry to do; 3- breathe! hahaha the real basics!!

She's pretty good overall ... our only big issues has been breastfeeding - and that has only been MY issue b/c she came out latching on and eating like a champ! haven't had to teach her anything, I'm the one that's learning.
#23 of 66 Old 07-22-2004, 07:44 PM

Snowbaby- I've been following your thread in Getting started and want you to know we are going through the same thing. Parker nurses constantly for hours on end. He also does it late at night. He gained 4oz at 6 days so I know he is doing well. It does make you question yourself. I had a lot of supply issues with my first ds because he had sucking problems. I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that tandeming them wouldn't work. We are however doing well. It will get easier as time goes on.

Parker is now 9 days old. He has had jaundice. We took him to the ped on monday. Our regular ped is on vacation and I saw one I don't really like. He was kind of pissed that I didn't take him in earlier for the jaundice. I knew he was doing fine but of course i'm just a stupid mother. Turns out his levels were pretty low. He had another heel stick today but his skin is a lot less yellow today. I haven't got much sleep but somehow it doesn't bother me. Parker only lts me put him down for about two different 3-4 hour stretches a day. Otherwise he wants to be held. My toddler is adjusting pretty well to him. He gets a little rough sometimes but we are working on that.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#24 of 66 Old 07-23-2004, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

It is so fun to hear how everyone is doing. I am starting to feel more of a balance and just trying to stay low key and breathe.
My baby is 5 weeks and has some nice cheeks. He is still gassy and gets MAD when he can't get a fart out. Last night this happened at 5 am for about 2 hours, I am tired. I made him some tea with chamomile and fennel which sisn't really seem to help. Any advice??
#25 of 66 Old 07-23-2004, 06:40 PM

chloe used to love belly massages from her daddy when she was a newborn

~mama to some wonderful kids
#26 of 66 Old 07-24-2004, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I'm now four days postpartum. I had a wonderful birth and am starting to feel very hormonal today -- weepy, sentimental, sad, overwhelmed, happy. As if postpartum moms didn't have enough to deal with!
#27 of 66 Old 07-25-2004, 04:06 AM

It is good to hear birth does happen. I am still 3 days from due date and I have felt he will be born on the 26th but the last few days I have started to get impatient.

Did anyone get pitocine after non- med birth to contract U? What were the effects? Did anyone postpone the heb b shot till later or have a baby with neg. effect to hep b?
#28 of 66 Old 07-25-2004, 04:28 PM

Amina~My babies are un-vaccinated, as are a lot of the babies here on mothering.com. There are many reasons to *not* vaccinate, and there is a forum for that issue here on MDC, as well.

I had my baby unassisted, and after birth, as I was bleeding a bit, I just took 10 drops of motherwort tincture, and the bleeding stopped (but not entirely, as I still am having regular PP bleeding)

What about all you? How is your PP bleeding going? With my first DD, I bled for more than 6 weeks!!! So I'm hoping that that won't happen again.
#29 of 66 Old 07-25-2004, 06:31 PM

I am here as well! Nursing is going well, though I seem to have a bit of an over supply problem still and Esther Rivka is doing a lot of spitting, ounces at a time even (she makes puddles which can be caught and measured!). She is still having a bit of a time keeping her body temperature so she is a well wrapped baby and she loves snuggling. She adores being in the Maya Wrap.

Her umbilical cord fell off yesterday and she had her first bath today http://webpages.charter.net/liba/EZfirstbath.jpg http://webpages.charter.net/liba/ERfirstbath.jpg and I am really appreciating the bathroom heater. LOL It blows really hot air but Esther Rivka really loved being under it after her bath.

She is soiling upwards of 20 diapers a day so I guess it should be no surprise that she never really lost more than two ounces. I expect her to be well over her birth weight at her two week checkup on Wednesday.

I am tired, but it is my own fault. Staying up too late LOL Esther Rivka is sleeping 4-6 hour stretches at night. We have mastered nursing lying down too so life is grand.

Life is good and I am dreaming about my next baby already
#30 of 66 Old 07-26-2004, 12:47 PM

hi everyone...

selma had her 2 week check up last thurs... doing great, regained birth weight. they say she is an inch longer but i question somebodies measurements. the only bad thing is, we all got a cold at the md office...myself, dd1 and the baby. thankfully the girls are already back to normal. the baby was only stuffy for a few hours total...but of course i thought the world would end.

have to go

jen

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page