Selma's Birth Story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-14-2004, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the morning of Wed July 7 I noticed that I was loosing bits and peices of my mucous plug...hooray!! I realized that this could still mean that labor would not start for a few days but it was the first physical sign that it may be soon. I was tired, crabby, and emotionally on edge all day. I took a nap in late afternoon after a brief shopping outing that nearly did me in (I had one monster contraction at Home Depot during that outing). I slept soundly for about 2 1/2 hours (good thing b/c that was the last sleep for about 30 hours). That evening I was having mild contractions but were not regular or increasing in intensity (same as had been for about a month)...until about 11:30pm. Right when I went to bed, the contractions starting coming regularily every 10 minutes and lasting about 45 to 60 secs. I told my husband that we would have to sleep b/c it is very early. He slept, but I could not. All that night, I tried to doze between cntx but as time went on I had to walk and move around. It was nice to be alone during this time...dd, dh and my parents all sleeping. It was a nice time to reflect and get ready for the work ahead. DD woke up at about 2:00am and I cuddled her back to sleep in her bed (I did not want her in my bed b/c I was sure that I would disturb her). It was nice to hold her close and be her mommy while my body was at work taking care of new baby. At about 4:30am I just could not do it by myself anymore and dh woke up anyway. We labored together for about an hour and a half. By this time I was 5 minutes apart and lasting at least 1 minute. I called by midwife at about 6:00am. I did not want to go to the hospital too early. She said that I sounded fine and I should wait another hour but to call her before if I wanted. DD woke up at 7:00am and I was having trouble at that time staying quiet and did not want to scare her so we called midwife again and took off for hospital. When we arrived, I was 5 centimeters!! I was soo happy. My df arrived who was going to assist dh in coaching. We walked the halls etc.... Next time I was checked I was 7 cm. I loose track of time at this point so I really don't know how long this process took but I remember clearly the next sequence of events. After the 7 cm check, my contx starting spacing out more....I was happy to get more rest. However, I realized that we had to keep them coming so I took a shower. This felt great...and I could feel the intensity of the contx pick back up. When I came out my midwife asked to check the baby's hr, which she could do while I was standing. The hr was elevated which she said was probably due to the hot shower but she wanted to get a longer reading and could not do so with me standing....so I layed down to get the monitor. Hr came down but....contx spaced out again (go figure). She checked me and I was 9cm and the water broke... Much to my dismay the amniotic fluid was filled with dark meconium. At that point my mw advised that I stay on the monitor, which unfortunately meant that my contx never really got going again. At next check I was only 7 cm. I question the 9 reading earlier or think that bc I was so scared by the meconium that my cervix tightened back up due to this. She reluctantly suggested pit. I fought this very much bc I knew my body could do this without it if I could just get up and get moving again. However, I was scared by the amount of meconium and at the time felt that I should stay on the monitor. So, I got pit. The rest of my labor was extremely intense. I was scared that the pit would put me out of control so I had a lot of difficulty maintaining focus. In retrospect, I think that the feelings I was experiencing can be more attributed to transition than the pit because they are classic transition signs. However, at the time I just felt that this chemical was now controlling my body which scared the **** out of me. My coaches were wonderful and finally when I got that urge to push....AHHHH! Selma was born in about 3 pushes at 1:21pm on Thurs July 8. She unfortunately did have to be suctioned right away bc she had meconium in her mouth and nasal passages but did great right away after this. She is big (8lb 12 oz) and beautiful. She looks just like my other dd. I am so proud of myself for not succumbing and taking pain meds even when faced with pit. I thank my dh and df for this as well. I have no regrets about my birth because I think that if I had not taken the pit, given that I was strapped to the monitor and could not move to augment labor naturally, I may have had a much different outcome bc maybe my contx pattern would not have re-established itself.

We are doing very well. Milk supply is established, engorgement almost completely gone. Cding for the first time. We are in baby paradise!!!

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-14-2004, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations on your wonderful little girl!
#3 of 6 Old 07-14-2004, 04:17 PM

Congrats! I love your new baby's name!

wave.gif
#4 of 6 Old 07-14-2004, 07:05 PM

Congratulations!!
#5 of 6 Old 07-15-2004, 01:17 AM

Congratulations!!!!
#6 of 6 Old 07-17-2004, 11:16 PM

I'm glad you got the birth that you wanted, with no pain meds. Congratulations!!! Isn't is nice being in baby heaven?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page