AUGUST Mama's: Mar 16-31 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 157 Old 03-22-2004, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Madrone, about fasteners:
We used snappis for about the first 6 months with CPF's and el cheapo kushies covers. Worked pretty darn well. The snappis stretch a bit with use but are cheap. However, kept losing the snappis and thus resorted to pins. Pins weren't nearly the challenge I thought they'd be. Also, a friend once mentioned that you can use mattress grips. Never tried that.

Ketilave: we've been in sposies for night time for forever. They're the only thing that works for us, too. Sigh. It was an expensive process to find that out.

Apmama: I'd agree with the ladies that a FB probably wouldn't contain well for a newborn unless that baby was very, very plump. Just can't get them tight enough. They still don't work for my toddler.......she's too long and lean.

Anyway. Time to get off this computer before my brain rots out.

-Leah
#62 of 157 Old 03-22-2004, 06:45 PM

Boy, everyone WAS chatty over the weekend. With so much interesting and fun stuff to talk about.

I am way behind here, but I have to share our co-sleeper experience. First, it took forever for my DH to put it together. Then, of course, we had this notion that our DS would just LOVE sleeping in it. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. He would only sleep right, smack dab in the middle of us. Although I am a big proponent of sleeping close to baby, we didn't intentionally start out thinking that DS would sleep in our bed from day one. The best laid plans....
Plus, I found that it was pretty bulky and took up a lot of space in our very small bedroom. Now, we are considering trying it out again for #2, and I just realized that it works as a bassinet, too. So, perhaps we can set it up that way. But we have a cramped bedroom and I just can't imagine one more piece of furniture in the room. So, I am very interested in everyone else's experience. Okay, so this is rude, but who mentioned having the inexpensive Moses basket? I've always thought they looked great, but they are pricey where I've seen them. Was it Katje? Sorry ladies.

Also, in the market for a sling before #2 arrives. I was a holder, and a Baby Bjorn wearer. DS was constantly on me and it took months (okay, maybe a YEAR) for me to figure out I could actually *do stuff* with a baby around! Although I found the Bjorn to work just fine, I tried other slings and nothing seemed to be just right. I've heard good things about the New Native carrier. Any advice/suggestions?

Caroline-DS has a crib that he has never slept in. We have some hope that perhaps maybe for some naps or time out of arms that the new baby might like it (I'm saying MIGHT, ladies!). So, that is why we haven't dismantled it yet. Is yours small enough to sidecar? Ours seems rather big. I don't know how we'd sidecar it??

Foxy-Your parents farm sounds like a dream? Can I come???

Ilovebeingamom-I like what you said about with this child figuring out what works best for you and your family. I was very into the ideas behind AP before giving birth, and plus, it just seemed instinctual to me. And I think I took things *too* far, like never giving myself breaks. I literally would very rarely (in the very beginning) let anyone else hold DS. I didn't understand that my mental, emotional, and spiritual needs were really, really important. I am still learning, but I've already learned so much. Someone also said that they need "breaks" from their kids. And of course this is true! But sometimes the AP literature makes that parts seem reallllllll easy. That was one of my beefs with Dr. Sears. Very small sections and talk addressed the needs of the family. Just my two cents...

Katje-You are gibving me the gardening bug! I have always aspired to be a gardener, but alas, I have not ever had a big garden of our own. Neighbors have asked us if we want to go in on a community garden with them right down the road, and we are hesitant b/c we aren't pros! We have a nice yard, but the community garden is really cool and big and, welll, a community garden!

HI AP! So cool that you are making your own moses basket. I['m wondering where I can get the basket part in my area???

Madrone-Thanks so much for thinking of me...

So much more to respond to and say. Feeling lots of movement. But of course if I feel a lot one day and not the next I get worried. DS has croup. This is the THIRD time he's been pretty sick in three months! Is it just the freakish weather in the East, or that I've cut down on nursing??????

Anyway, gotta go. DS is sitting in my lap wanting me to go, go,go. More later!
#63 of 157 Old 03-22-2004, 09:52 PM

Bearsmama- My bedroom is pretty big, so we don't have to worry too much about space. If you've read up on sidecarring (which it sounds like you have) you just remove one of the long sides to the crib and slide it right next to your bed. Most crib mattresses will adjust to the same height as your regular mattress. It really shouldn't take up that much extra space, just the width of the crib, which is less than the length.

But, even if we didn't have a big bedroom, I'd probably give sidecarring a try with two little ones. I just can't figure out how the heck my toddler, my husband, myself and an infant will be able to cosleep without being on top of each other. And, with a newborn, that's particularly troubling. I really want babe to be away from my toddler, more than anything else. And, I've heard of mamas curling up half in the crib/half on the bed so they don't have to be too far away.

Our crib is currently dismantled, due to our recent move, but we'll put it together when summer gets closer. It *is* wide enough that it doesn't fit through doorways without being taken apart, so maybe it's slightly on the big side.

About slings, I had a Maya Wrap and a Maya Pouch (which has changed designs from the one I have) from day one with DD. I hated the pouch (really needed adjustability, which I think they've added now) but adored my Wrap. I used it exclusively the whole time I slung my DD. When she was about 16 months old, I got a Over the Shoulder Baby Holder, and then a SlingEzee, but didn't care for either of them as much as my Maya Wrap. Too bulky, and too hot for Florida heat. I might like them with a newborn though, the padding may prove better for delicate skin. We'll see. I'm a big gal, and the padding just never seemed to mold to me properly. I always felt it under my arms and felt like I couldn't put my arms down right. But, as an American Capitalist I feel the need to purchase something new and different this time around, so I might try a Didymos style sling. Or one of the many, many other slings out there. Heck, I might even get ambitious and make one!

Caroline
#64 of 157 Old 03-22-2004, 10:55 PM

Okay, I give up (waving white flag smilie) I can not keep up! I have read every post but it would take me hours to respond to everyone. Please excuse my selfishness.

I did want to say that the topics of co-sleeper, diapers and slings are so interesting. You are all helping me make my decisions on how to go in those areas. I do plan on getting a variety of cds for my baby. Included will be cpfs, fuzzi bunz, bummis ww, Bumkins covers and kushies AIO's . I am getting most things in small, hoping they will fit for awhile and a few newborn things. Has anyone tried the wonderoos one size covers? I hear they don't fit newborns at all but as the baby gets bigger they are good.?: I also have a sling that I bought at a consignment store a long time ago but I have come across one that looks great on the organicbebe site. I can't remember what it is called though...And a question about sidecar cribs, do they stay in place as well as the arms reach co-sleeper? Which one do you ladies think is the better investment. My MIL has found some convertable cribs that turn into daybeds so the kiddos can use them as they get older too. Any disadvantages to these? (I thought I had my heart set on an arm's reach until this discussion started...)How long does an arm's reach last? Can a two year old fit in one? Would they want to?

Wow there I go. I guess I can be pretty chatty too.

Bears, just wanted to add how happy I am for you that everything is okay and Kim, how are you?

TTYL
Cheryl

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#65 of 157 Old 03-22-2004, 11:16 PM

Caroline-We have an odd-shaped bedroom. Our bed can only really fit along one wall. And that makes a sidecar crib ort of hard. I really don't know how my toddler, an infant, a 6'3 husband, and myself are going to FIT in the bed, let alone get any sleep. And that's the big thing: How the HECK does a toddler stay asleep during an infant crying session? Plus, my DS is not the strongest sleeper. So, I think we're in trouble.: Thanks for your input on the sling issue. Maybe others will chime in.

Whew! All this talk is getting me nervous as I remember those groggy, nutty, newborn days. YIKES!

Nature-Thanks so much for your good wishes. And as far as the co-sleeper goes, it just wasn't as great in practice for us as it was in theory. We had it attached to our bed for 7 months, until finally DH convinced me that DS would never sleep in it or NEAR it! I think we will try it again this time, but as a bassinet. I just have to find those old directions????

Okay, I have to admit that I just ate a handful of Reese's peanut butter mini-eggs. And they were sooooo worth it!!
#66 of 157 Old 03-22-2004, 11:25 PM

cribs - We have lots of experiance with a sidecar crib. IMO, a crib is really the best investment. If you sidecar it, it works just as well as an arms reach for a newborn, and then it's big enough for a three year old, or even 4 year old to sleep in as they get older. No, they don't attach quite as well, but what we do is put it by the wall and then shove our bed tight up next to it, it can't move away that way. We hardly ever used the crib when ds #1 was a babe, but with ds#2, we really needed it for the space. I have many times scooted over and slept halfway in the crib to get the baby to sleep. It works just fine. I was thinking too with this babe I might get a moses basket for the newborn stage since it more snug and just set it in the crib, and then when the babe outgrows it s/he can sleep in the crib.

Slings - I only have experiance with the OSBH and the nojo. Honestly, even though the OSBH is more expensive I liked my nojo the best. I'm very thin and narrow, and the less bulky nojo seemed a better fit. This time I would really like to try the New Native. And I might borrow my sister's Maya Wrap. She never really got the hang of it, but I actually really liked it when I showed her how to use it. And honestly, as the baby gets older and able to hold up it's head, my favorite contraption was my baby backpack. I loved it because I truly had both arms free, the babe couldn't grab at what I was doing, and ds really liked it because he had a bird's eye view.

diapers - I used aio's for ds last time, Kushies and Bumkins. I think I really would like to go back to prefolds and covers this time. It took too long to rinse poop out of aio's and then dry them, but they were very convenient when it came time to change since they work pretty much like sposie. So far, my favorite cover is bummis sww. It fits newborns really well and keeps in leaks. I've tried bumkins, biobottoms (hated them), diaper wraps (not great either), Nikki (leaked), and a few other cheapo brands. The only one that didn't leak and didn't scratch ds' belly/legs was bummis. I have a lot of catching up to do in the diaper arena, there's so much to choose from now!

Nice to hear all you experianced mama's insight on what to buy!
#67 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 01:51 AM

Naturegirl-I looked at buying an arms reach for our ds but read that it only holds up to 25 pounds or so. We did sidecar our crib and it worked pretty well.

I also used Kushies classics with the diaper covers, and they worked good. Although the toddler size that ds wore for about a year really wore out. I had about 15 diapers of that size, so maybe I needed more, but I won't be able to reuse them like the other sizes. I also bought Kushie's AIO's in the newborn size, and they did not work well. Ds's legs were too skinny and everything leaked out the sides. This time I am planning on getting prefolds, using the snappi's, and using Bummi's for the covers.

I love cd'ing. I feel guilty every time I have to use disposables. It kills me to throw things away!

I have an over the shoulder sling and have always liked it. It was harder to use for the newborn, but once he was about three months old it worked great.

Good night!
#68 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 10:03 AM

:

Can I just say I love our group!

I have a mexican rebozo sling. I used it later when ds was about 15 months. I used the OTSBH/slingeeze/ Nojo when he was an infant but now that I know of the other choices available I will either use me Rebozo for the new baby of if I can save any money to buy the adjustable fleece pouch from KangarooKorner. I would love to be able to do that (but $54 is a big bunch of $$-especially since I am going to be spending $$ on diapers..a must have)....The rebozo is great though b/c it is a very light weight fabric, no rings and I carried ds in it until he was almost 3. You can sling them up on your back with the rebozo very easy. I never used it with him as an infant though.

Bears
I am going to go check out the price and quality of the moses basket today. I can let you know how much and if you want I can always send you one if you can't find them where you are
Still doing happy dance for you friend

myjo
..with the bummis sww covers did you use and pins/snappis to the prefold and then the cover?

I think the remedies are finally working on my armpit lump. I go in Thrusday to have the lump re-checked by my D.O.

Anyone having any pg vision issues? I do not wear glasses..I should but my right eye keeps giving me some weird vision things when I try to read....hhmmm:

Major sinus thing going on too...anytime I cough I feel like the whole top part of my head from the eyes up is going to blow off
Not fun...

other than that though very happy , pregnant mamma here
ttys

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#69 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 10:17 AM

Bears - My DS has croup also. He woke up in the wee hours of Sunday morning unable to breath because of it. DH was pretty freaked out. That's the worst it's been on him being unable to breath, but he sounds terrible after lying down for a while. My sympathy goes out to you. In my case, I think it's that I really don't have very much milk at all. He says he gets something and I feel something for a short moment, but I don't hear him swallowing. He had never had croup before this. At least I can think my breasts for the first time being at 2 yrs 10 mths.

Nature - I would not buy an Arm's Reach. They copyrighted the word "co-sleep" and have sued WAHM's who make co-sleepers for using the word. They are a big money-making corporation who uses all they've got to try to shut down competition, even though the competition are just little family businesses. Do some searches on them here in Activism and Activism archives.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#70 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 11:13 AM

ap - I never used pins or snappis with the prefolds and SWW. Just fold and go. Newborns don't move enough to make it worth the while.

Ok - with kid number 3 I am thinking there is nothing to buy. Then you all start discussing slings and I want a new one. I have OSBH which I have had no problems with but it is hot in the summer. Grear during the winter as it kept me and baby warm!

gtg.
#71 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 02:08 PM

hi all,

we are having some computer problems so i haven't been here in awhile. i just would like to respond to some of your post.

we have a family bed and never bought anything fancy to have it. when we started out we slept in a full size mattress on the floor. then we used a twin with a full size. this worked good for two kids. now we have a house and have moved off the floor.

we have a full size next to bunkbeds. my plan is for ds to be on the top bunk and dd on the bottom. dh and i on the full. but ds was having alot of bad dreams for awhile and didn't want to sleep on top. now him and dh sleep on the full and dd and i sleep on the lower bunk. i plan to put the baby next to the wall and maybe try to push dd on the full closer to her dad and brother.

we never bought much baby stuff besides the basics like cloth diapers, a few out fits (they grow so fast don't buy too many), sling, and back pack when they are a little older. i have an otsbh sling. i have been using almost 5 years. if i can find an affordable maya wrap or pouch i may buy one this time. i got my slings at thrift shops while living in california. the shops here in alabama don't seem to have any good stuff. plus, i even sometimes would find new cloth diapers at thrift shops all varieties.

need to go for now,
julie
#72 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 02:38 PM

Oh my gosh! It took my forever to get caught up with all these posts. Good discussions though. I just wanted to add my 2 cents about the ap parenting choices discussion. I don' t think it has to be all or nothing. I don't cd or stay at home (I am still in college) but I do bf (recently weaned--mostly child led) and I don't let ds cry it out just because some book told me to do it.

I am finally moved in my new house, but there are still some things to do so I won't be posting that much for a while, but I'll be checking in.

Does anyone have any good advice for getting smokey smell out of a house. I have cleaned the house from top to bottom, shampooed the carpet, wiped down every surface, febreeze, arm&hammer, lysol, and candles. NOthing works except keeping the windows open and running the ceiling fans. As soon as the house is shut for a while the slight stinky smell comes back. I am the only one who notices it though. Thanks preggo nose. I am not ready to tackle painting the walls yet. Is this the only choice left? I know this is not pregnancy related, but I am out of ideas.
Christine
#73 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 02:51 PM

Wow, there’s so much to respond to. It’s interesting how many of us are trying new and improved diapering systems this time around, switching to cloth from sposies, flats to fitteds and so on. If anything, I’m hoping to go lower tech, because this time I will be ECing from infancy, making frequent changes a must and absorbency less of an issue than drying time. Like Ketilave, I never pinned or snappied, although I might this time.

RothMommy, that’s great that you are making your own dipes! I’m impressed.

I have also been reviewing my carrier situation. Last time, I wore out a borrowed-to-be-returned very-used padded Polliwogs (??) sling. I loved it. Dh loved it. But what we loved about it (texture, lack of bulk) can’t really be found in a new sling. It had everything to do with having been through a lot of wear and tear. I switched to a Maya Wrap when dd was a toddler, but, having never used one with an infant, am not sure if I will like it. I am considering buying a new padded sling for infancy, but, then again, I might find it too cumbersome. A friend of mine has a Didymos-like carrier that she bought in Hungary, which is excellent for front-carrying an infant over a winter coat. She is planning on buying some fabric to see if she can’t whip up a few others, in which case I will be the first to knock on her door.

As for chaos/hesitancy, any theories on what’s up in the developmental life of your average two-and-a-half-year-old? There isn’t anything as obvious as teething or walking or puberty going on.

My second-trimester energy surge is being marred by agonizing back pain. I’m thinking of getting a cane. I’m having trouble walking one city block. This happened to me last pregnancy, and I am truly horrified that it’s happening again. I realize that my short temper has more to do with my parenting troubles than dd’s behaviour. Because of my new disability, I have a lot of trouble with her in public. I need immediate compliance. I need her to sit in her stroller. I can’t carry her home screaming as is our usual, LOL.
#74 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 02:51 PM

Oh gosh that smoke smell can be so hard to get rid of!!! The only thing I can think of is getting some cool mist humidifiers and adding a few drops of tea tree oil to the water.

Good luck!!

Pam

"It doesn't matter who you love, or how you love, but that you love" ~Rod McKuen

Mom to 3 Married to geek.gif for 10 wonderful years luxlove.gif
13 af.gif 9 goodvibes.gifand 6coolshine.gif

#75 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 02:53 PM

Christine, I just saw your post. Have you tried using an air purifier?
#76 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 04:58 PM

Well, I was getting a tad worried because I haven't felt baby move too much, but over the past 48 hours he/she is picking up speed...lol.... I'm constantly feeling little flutters.
Maybe I never felt it much before (occasionally while in bed at night) because I'm so busy and moving so much. Today after cleaning up this am, I've been lounging on the sofa or at the pc, so I've been more sedentary........lol

I'm feeling okay besides this darned sinus infection that continues to drain, which in turns makes me gag and heave

The kids and dh are all well, atleast mostly....lol......and we're all just trying to go with the flow.

I have a level 2 ultrasound friday afternoon, then an appt on the following Thursday am, then a trip to NY for a level 2 ultrasound on Friday (don't ask, but I'll tell if you really wanna know...lol) then an appt with a new OB on the 7th because the current one insists he's inducing at 38 weeks and I know he is not..........

Chris Mama of J, A, C and M
Surromama of four
#77 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 05:12 PM

Christine, that smell is so stubborn. We have used an air purifier in our house due to the chemical "new house smell". It really helps alot. So unless you have the money to paint the entire house including ceilings and re-carpet or sand hard wood floors, you may need a quick fix like an air purifier. Although I just realized that any air purifier can cost quite alot too! Ours was $500, but worth every penny.

Has reality hit any of you mamas yet? I'm just starting to realize everything this little bean is going to mean! I was so getting used to freedom. But every time I see someone with a beautiful smiling little angel baby, I get really happy. It really is all worth it!
#78 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 08:41 PM

Christine, I really feel for you and that smokey smell. YUCK! I can't stand being around anything smokey at all right now. I don't have any good advice for you, we totally changed all the flooring, cleaned like crazy people and painted everywall and ceiling with our smokey house. I hope the purifiers work for you. I know there are some real good ones out there.

myjo, I am totally starting to feel the reality of this baby. Especially since he is movng around so much today.

I am definately going to scrap the idea of the arms reach I think. Especially since it only holds up to 25 lbs or so. It doesn't seem worth it.

I am 20 weeks today!!! HALF WAY!

(My own little personal celebration )

Has anyone used a bike trailer that converts into a stroller? How do they work? My dh desperately wants a bike stroller. He is an advid biker.

Cheryl

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#79 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 09:18 PM

Heya!
We used a Maya Wrap on my babe until she was 6 mo. or so and it worked great for us. For the record, though, the kid hit the world ready for 3 mo. clothes, so I never got to try out any of our stuff on a teeny tiny baby. I love the simplicity of the Maya Wraps. Just about as soon as she could keep her head up, we backpacked the kiddo everywhere. My sister gave us a Kelty Kids pack and now I can't imagine not having one. You can get them much discounted at Sierra Trading Post from time to time. It's also one of those deals where it's worth it to get the best you can buy. I've tried other packs that weren't nearly as comfy for kid or parent. I'd definitely put that on my personal list of must-haves. We've hardly used our stroller at all.

And I wanted to ask: What does this "EC" you all are mentioning mean? I'm pretty naieve, but I'm curious.:

I like RothMommy's suggestion about the humidifier and tea tree oil to battle smoke. I'm guessing, though, that in the long-run painting will be the end-all. Smoke is so pervasive. I'm going to try the tea-oil idea to battle my own recent demon: furniture that we've inherited that smells like cat spray. Yet another classic stench that is remarkably persistent.

Dodo: what causes your back pain? Sounds terrible.

Well, then. I've got the house to myself for a few minutes. I'm going to go relish some privacy.

-Leah
#80 of 157 Old 03-23-2004, 11:07 PM

Hi Ladies!
Have you all noticed the new Babywearing forum? Lots of insight into different slings over there. Just remember that a friend of mine used the New Native for her newborn and never really liked it b/c she felt that she needed some additional support. So, for those that need this, perhaps the padded ones are better? You know when they're so darn little that they just slump when they're not supported. I think for me it will be some trial and error (and all the suggstions here) before I find one I love.

Once again, this is rude not to remember, but getting back to the AP style/birth style thing-someone mentioned that they didn't care what choices someone made for birth as long as they were educated decisions. Amen to that! DH's cousin had a baby around the same time as I did and she said while pregnant that she just couldn't wait to be hooked up the epidural. All this nonchalance about the whole thing-very uneducated talk about it, too. And it would drive me batty. I ended up with an epidural and I sweated the decision for a long time b/c I had planned an unmedicated birth (don't we all??). BUT, I had also read about all the complication possibilites for baby and me and made a concious, informed decision about it when needed.

Giraffe-I won't pry, but I sure hope all is okay. Please let us know how you're doing, even if you're uncomfortable sharing the details.

Foxy-EC is Elimination Communication. You can do a search on the boards for discussions of this. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I'm sure you can learn some from our preggers friends here or other MDCers.

Hi AP! I too LOVE this little group! And thanks for the happy dance. After the good news, I too, am happy dancing!
Sorry to hear about your sinuses. I had a lot of this during the first month or two, but now I am okay. The one thing that helped me was counter pressure on the insides of my brow bone. I would ask DH to do it for me like every night. I could acutally feel my sinuses draining when he did this. Definitely relieved the pressure.

Madrone-Sorry to hear that your little guy is going thru the same thing. DS has NEVER been sick like this before. Very healthy kid, and now three times in three months with one thing or the other. DS's breathing is much better now, and really only had one bad night. Now, he just had this horrible cough. Poor little babes.

Juju-I don't think we need much even for baby #2! We have a ton of clothes (lots of gender neutral stuff), a changing table, car seat, etc. Oh, and BOOBS! What baby could need anythng more?

Dodo-Sorry about the back pain. Have you had it checked by a chiro? Back pain is agonizing, I've been there.

I know there are some I've missed. DS and I had a very sweet discussion tonight at bedtime. He is only 26 mos., but so verbal. We have complete conversations and I take for granted that not all 2 yos are talking like he does. Anywhoo, he seemed to be struggling at my breast, which he has been for a while now.And I said, "Is there any milk in there?", and he said NO. And I said that maybe sometime soon we would have to talk about not nursing anymore if there's no more milk. And he said NO. And I just kept acknowledging how I understood how hard it is to want something that isn't quite there anymore. And he said, "I take break from mommy". So, I asked if he meant right then and he said NO and cuddled in closer. He did though, roll over and have his back to me while I talked him to sleep-something he doesn't do all the time. Must be so hard for him! SO many changes for our little ones. I just kept talking in his ear about how much I loved him and how I'd always hold him, etc. AHHHHHHH! Change is heartbreaking!

Sorry for the novel, ladies. Sleep well.

#81 of 157 Old 03-24-2004, 01:39 AM

i just had my second prenatal appt. today. i will be 19 weeks tomorrow. the baby sounds fine. the midwife estimated the fundus was at 21 weeks. both my other two were almost 11 lbs at birth. i guess i grow big babies.

she tried to take my blood today for routine testing. she didn't get much out and i blacked out briefly. i have only had that problem one other time while getting blood drawn. she will try again next month. does anyone know of anything i can do to prepare before the next blood letting to keep me from fainting? should i eat more protein or sugar before? any ideas?

i don't remember how the ap style/ birth style topic came up, but i will play and list my info. midwife attended homebirths (this will be my third), mostly organic/ veggie, extended/ tandem nursing (i am approaching the 5 year mark), intact (no circumcising), cloth diapering, baby wearing, family bed, stay at home, homeschooling, no vax, herbs/ homeopaths, no physical punishment, and i can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

i defintiely don't expect others to share my some opinions and style. i am totally open and respectful of others' choices.

is anyone else planning a waterbirth home, hospital, birth center?? my second was a water birth and i plan on having another one this time, too. i can't remember if we have talked about this yet.

i should be in bed.

julie
#82 of 157 Old 03-24-2004, 03:03 AM

Juju, you sound a lot like me. I'm on my third baby too and I waterbirthed my last one at home. I'm thinking I will probably do it again this time. I'm really looking forward to it, but there was one thing about it that was rather interesting. It relaxed me so much that I seemed to have zero control over myself. I screamed the baby out and could not stop myself from tearing. I hope that doesn't happen again! The rest of your list sounds pretty similar too, except we're not vegetarian and the longest I have nursed was 3 years, never tandemed.

Bearsmama, I know what you're talking about! When I was pregnant with ds#2, I was still nursing ds #1. It was so hard to see him gradually lose interest. I also felt terrible because I had to encourage him to stop because my breasts were so incredibly tender. He would start nursing and all of a sudden I would yell because it hurt so bad, it must have scared the crud out of him! This time my youngest was already weaned before I concieved, so that hasn't been an issue. But it's always hard when the baby has to adjust to not being the baby anymore!
#83 of 157 Old 03-24-2004, 04:47 AM

I guess I didn't list my AP info earlier, so here it is. DD was born by cesarean after moderate to severe pre-eclampsia, we're going for a VBAC this time around, with the same non-medicated plan we had last time. We'll see how that works out. But, we cosleep, babywear (till DD was almost two and wouldn't deal with it anymore), extended/probably tandem nurse, selectively vax, eat whole foods with selective organic choices (milk and certain produce) nothing processed or with trans-fats is my biggest obsession these days, won't circumcise, cloth diaper, plan to homeschool, positive discipline. What other options are there? LOL

All that said, I'm fairly mainstream, I guess. At least I feel that way, although I just don't get along well with folks who spank or don't breastfeed (or make a very serious effort). I've tried, but it just doesn't work. Too many core differences. My mom calls me an earth mother, but believe me, I know some earth mothers, and I'm only touching the tip of the ice berg. I do my best, though.

Had a bad thing happen tonight, and being somewhat mainstream (as in not terribly spiritual) I'm at a loss as to what to do. I ran over an armadillo. I feel like I should light a candle or something. Ugh! I feel rotten that I killed it. It was a terrible noise, the whole car shook. I swerved, and did my very best to avoid it, but I didn't do so well. What can I do? I feel like I need to clear my karma or something, but clueless as to how to do that. I've never killed anything with my car before. Maybe a duck, once, but I think he flew away. (he flew into the grill of my car) It just feels so yucky.

I'm definitely not in the reality phase yet. It seems so far away! My DD is still such a baby, although lately she's insistent she's a big girl. I hate that phrase, and never use it, but she's picked it up from somewhere I guess. She's very excited about the baby, and is *certain* it's a girl (which is my gut feeling too, but I haven't told her that). She has a little friend with a baby brother, so I keep saying she might have a baby brother too, just like Jacob, but she insists "No, baby SISTER!" Very cute!

Well, I guess I'm going to try to go back to sleep. Mid pregnancy insomnia. Ugh! Hope it doesn't last...

Caroline
#84 of 157 Old 03-24-2004, 09:29 AM

Leah, my back pain is caused by sciatica or pain in the biggest nerve in the body, which extends from the buttocks to the heel. A lot of women develop it during pregnancy as their bodies rearrange themselves. In my case, my uterus appears to be pinching the nerve.

Bears, I don't see a chiro but I do see an osteopath. I had my first treatment last week, but it seems to have further disabled me. I was in tolerable pain last week, but am in intolerable pain this week. Yesterday afternoon I declared myself on temporary bedrest. This meant hanging out on the couch and watching a birth documentary with dd, who was surprised to learn where babies came from.

Katje, you asked for video names a long time ago. This one is called A Clear Road to Birth. It's a documentary on unassisted birthing. As such it's more professional than the one I mentioned with the messy birther, although it actually features some of the same births, all of which are pretty darn relaxed.
#85 of 157 Old 03-24-2004, 11:20 AM

Okay, woke up this morning with a scary question on my brain: Any of you mamas scared to death to go through the MAJOR sleep deprivation thing again? Especially if you have sleep-challenged tots in your house currently?????

DS has been sleep-challenged since birth. He was colicky for 5 MONTHS. I literally did not get TWO straight hours sleep until after month 6 or so. And then it was an entire YEAR (perhaps even 13 months) until I got maybe 3-4 hours/night-very inconsistently, mind you.

Still, if the least bit uncomfortable DS will wake VERY FREQUENTLY. Like now with this cold/croupy thing. Also, even when he's feeling GREAT, he still wakes about 1x/night. Although we've had many nights that he "sleeps thru".

SO, ladies, I'm just scared. I know what it did to my mental health. It was ugly. U-G-L-Y. Anyway feeling this way??????????
#86 of 157 Old 03-24-2004, 12:18 PM

Bears - I haven't slept the night since March 02. I'm hanging in there. To me 4 hours of sleep is glorious! Every once and a while we get six - the kids seem to know when we just can't function anymore and fall in. Big problem with that is that I still wake up and wonder if they are dead!

I am supplementing DD with rice milk and she is nursing 3/4 times a day but not getting a whole lot out of it. I feel really bad but she is pretty happy to suck regardless. Must say that I am still really tender and she just started cutting her first teeth - at least they are the bottom ones!

DH wants me off the boards because now I want to buy a new sling and am all hyped about cd again and feel we just didn't have enough info and didn't buy the right products for our kids. He sees me on here and sees $$$ :LOL BUT - he can't think of a single argument for either issue so is only gently grumbling. And, I get to shop for my dipes. Anyone ever cd three kids at once? That's got to be some laundry.
#87 of 157 Old 03-24-2004, 12:32 PM

Well I'm headed to Colorado in the morning first thing. I'm not thrilled about traveling alone with the children, but it will be a nice change of pace. Also it will be a blessing to spend time with my parents, siblings and extended family. I will be there over a week and I won't have a computer so I won't be able to post. I hope everyone is doing well. I will pop on and post when I return (the same day as my ultrasound...eeeeks!)
Take care mamas!

Pam

"It doesn't matter who you love, or how you love, but that you love" ~Rod McKuen

Mom to 3 Married to geek.gif for 10 wonderful years luxlove.gif
13 af.gif 9 goodvibes.gifand 6coolshine.gif

#88 of 157 Old 03-24-2004, 02:31 PM

Bearsmama, I've been thinking about the sleep deprivation too. Both my boys had colic, but only for the classic 3 months. This time I have a few tricks up my sleeve to try and avoid the colic all together. Last time, we found out that many colicky babies have poor digestion becouse of spinal subluxations caused at birth usually, sometimes after. So we finally took ds to a chiro when we couldn't take the screaming anymore, and guess what? It worked like magic. Within a week of treatment the colic was only a memory, and not only that but he started to have regular bm's. Before that he never pooped on his own. I always had to use suppositories, yuck! So this time we're going to get the baby adjusted as soon after birth as possible and keep having regular chiro care throughout the baby stage. It makes their immune systems healthier to!

Caroline, I'm not too spiritual when it comes to animals either. But I guess you could take the rescue remedy to balance your emotions. I know how yucky it feels when something like that happens!
#89 of 157 Old 03-24-2004, 04:03 PM

Okay, here's a question. I'm still really sick. Smells get me, food gets me, all sorts of things and it's driving me crazy. So, on Wednesday mornings we take this music class for my daughter. One of the women in her class wears this perfume that gets me every time. She stands near me and I have to run out of the room and vomit immediately. Today, it was so bad that I was standing *across* the room from her and still had to go running down the hall. Would you say something? I don't really know this woman very well, and I've talked to one of my IRL friends who says she wouldn't, but personally, if I were making someone sick, I'd want to know. We've got 2 more months of class (it just started 3 weeks ago) so this could get really ugly.

And, on the sleep thread, yeah, I'm pretty nervous about that too. I don't know what we're going to do. DD will stay in our bed, I'm thinking, so I don't know how she's going to not wake up too, and I only have breasts on *one* side of my body. She *is* nightweaned, so I'm hoping that will help, but I bet it will be very confusing when she sees the baby nursing at night and she can't. I do have a guilty admission though. She has developed a fondness for Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music. If I've had a particularly hard day, or just need a nap, she and I will curl up on the couch, watch a movie, and I'll snooze lightly while she watches the movie. I'm hoping that still works come August, cause it will make all the difference in the world, I'd imagine.

Caroline
#90 of 157 Old 03-24-2004, 05:52 PM

One time when my sd came over she brought a new teddy bear her mom had bought her and sprayed with her perfume. OMG - We had to stick it in the trunk and it wasn't allowed in the house! Let's just say that didn't help things out. Speaking of which - thought things were under control for a while the freakin' mad cow is back. DH got served again on Mond. The last order just got signed in Jan!!!

Perfumes are one of my triggers - when I can smell even the tiniest trace I know I am pg. I don't know how you can say anything without the person being offended. I know around here people would smile, walk away and mutter B***CH.

Good luck

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page