#121 of 144 Old 04-11-2004, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey, bears... see if any of these links help you out any:

Birth Partners, philly area

Doula Network, philly area

some other philly childbirth resources

oddly, the Philadelphia Alliance for Labor Support doesn't seem to have a search function... but maybe i didn't look around their site long enough. if you talk to someone there, you could mention to them that they should have a way for clients to find doulas on their front page!

(btw, those first two links will connect to nationwide search engines, for all flavors of doulas, in case anyone else wants to think about getting one!)

apmamma, you are so sweet! i've just been lucky enough to hang out with some incredible midwives and mommas who have shared their experiences so generously. it all comes around, doesn't it? (also, when you're an old lady like me... almost 41!... you pick up a few tricks here and there).

we had a fun easter morning. dd and i went to a sunrise gathering in a local park that was just glorious (but cold!). came home and got another hour of sleep, then rousted the rest of the kids for their egg hunt. fortunately the kids found all the eggs before the dogs did! then a nice breakfast, and now i'm just hanging out with the kids and still avoiding those taxes! dh and i have committed to sitting down together and hammering 'em out this afternoon, though.

i'm thinking maybe egg salad sandwiches for lunch would be nice. we sure have enough hard-boiled eggs ready!

hope you are all having a lovely easter. i'm not particularly religious, but there's just something special about celebrating rituals of fertility and growth, birth and rebirth, spirit and springtime, when you have a miracle squirming inside you!

hugs, katje
#122 of 144 Old 04-11-2004, 03:10 PM

Katje-Thank you. I meant to check in sooner-I did a Google for my area and came up with a few local doula listings. I sent off emails for more info. I will check out the ones above when I have more time tonight.

Katje-We are late with the taxes this year, too. We have someone do them for us-which will probably be even more important for us next year as DH continues this working for himself thing. I DREAD even getting the paperwork together. We bought and sold a house this past year, so we have some piles to lug in.

Glad to hear that you had such a nice morning. We, too, had a good time thus far. DS found his eggs, ripped through his Easter basket which was full of small toys and coloring book another book. We are very carefull with him and the sweets/junk. I wish I could say the same about myself!

Hi AP Thanks for the encouragement about the doula. Sorry to hear you had a rough night's sleep. Perhaps he'll sleep well tonight after being up so early. My DS was up twice last night AND up at 6:00am, too. We are not big TV people, but THANK THE LORD for Bear in the Big Blue House at 6am! I am just not fully functional at that hour. Hey-AP-Just think-in a few short months 6am will seem like sleeping IN!

No BHs here yet. In fact I didn't have them with DS#1, either. I've heard that you get them all the time, it's just a matter of whether or not they are strong enough for the mama to feel. But I've NEVER noticed them in either pregnancy thus far.

Anyway, gotta go rouse DS from a deep sleep so we can go to the grandparents for Easter dinner. Have a GREAT relaxing day everyone!
#123 of 144 Old 04-11-2004, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SamuraiEarthMama

hope you are all having a lovely easter. i'm not particularly religious, but there's just something special about celebrating rituals of fertility and growth, birth and rebirth, spirit and springtime, when you have a miracle squirming inside you!

Well said, Katje....
me too.....perfect warmy fuzzy.....

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#124 of 144 Old 04-11-2004, 08:29 PM

Hi everyone!

Ds woke up today and was excited to find his easter eggs. I woke up, and promptly threw up. All day I thought it was a very late bout of ms, but now ds is vomiting/diareaha(sp), so it must be a bug. Nice that we went to Easter dinner and exposed everyone else. Haven't let them know yet. :

Thanks for your kind words, Bearsmama and Traci. I didn't know about mothering.com my first pg, so this is great second time around! IRL friends don't seem to understand as well. For me, they think I am so vigilant about VBAC b/c I had a *bad* c/s. In my life, I would rather give birth than c/s anyday, but they don't get it, and have all had c/s with repeat c/s.

Traci-yeah, I got the old navy suit in a large and it was pretty baggy, but i figured by the time summer came I would fill it out. I felt even sillier b/c we were at Clearwater Beach in FL during spring break, and every college girl was wearing bikini's. Next week ds starts a swim class, so we will see how it fits now. I ordered some more clothes from Old Navy, and can't wait until they come! (Although it is a pain sending the things that don't fit back).

I guess that is all for now, ds needs some cuddling.
#125 of 144 Old 04-11-2004, 09:50 PM

Ugh, we got hit by something too. I think my headache and Ds has had mild diarrhea for a couple of days were a warning sign. It struck hard last night with all three of us vomiting and diarrhea . We're starting to feel better now, but we stayed home today. Otherwise we would of been all over the place visiting and no one was up for that. Our families came to visit us tonight, which was nice. Hopefully we didn't spread whatever we had.

The baby has been especially active today. I thought it was going to burst out of my stomach when I had something to eat, lol! Must be all my inner churnings riling the baby up.

I'm just glad I was not so bad yesterday and was able to get some cleaning done so it wasn't a total dump as it can often get when I'm not feeling well.
#126 of 144 Old 04-11-2004, 10:12 PM

yuck sorry the next round is sick. DS has been dealing with some pretty severe allergies and has a history of ear infections. RSV as an infant so we are trying to decide what to do. I don't want him on meds but at the same time he is so miserable and uncomfortable and I have not found a natural remedy that works as of yet. I have started giving him cranberry juice because it is supposed to help with the ear infections too! Who knows!

The weather was horrible and we spent most of the day inside but did manage to get through Mass without incident.

My belly pic March 24 - no clue how many weeks that is

I have an appt. this Weds. For me the pregnancy is slow going - or just simply the longest pg ever. I have been pg since June 2001 with a few breaks (April - Sept 2002, Aug - Oct 2003). Anyone thinking about birth control or if this is their last one? I don't think I'm ready to be done but I can't keep this pace up. My body isn't handling things as well - this time I need to get new underwear because nothing fits!!

oh - bears - I really was trying to handle it all with my last pg and not show fatigue etc. But I feel I didn't get a lot of cuddle time with DD. Plus, when I was at the workshop with Ina May she really had a profound effect on me. A supermom is the last thing we should want to be and we need to take the time the let things go welcome our new children and process the birth. I really hope this time to put people to use and use any help I can get - even if I can handle it I shouldn't! Also, what about those that haven't completed their doula cert, sometimes they are free because they are trying to get their requirements done. Birthing From Within just did a big training in NH so maybe someone in your area went up there and are dying to put themselves to use. We had 6 from here go...it's becoming big business...which I will save for a whole other discussion.

I hope everyone had a nice weekend.
#127 of 144 Old 04-12-2004, 11:42 AM

Melissa: hang in there with your VBAC plans. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't achieve your goal. You also might look into ICAN.org an organization supporting mothers who choose to VBAC or HBAC.
All 3 of my sisters children were born by C/S. The first for breech presentation, the second she tried to VBAC but VERY High BP and babies heart rate ended in another C/S. and she just elected the third. I myself have not endured the pain or healing from a C/S but as a doula I have wittnessed many and hope to never have to go down that road. I admire and encourage every woman to stand firm on her choice to VBAC. I don't know how it is in your area, but here in Texas it's hard to find a truly supportive OB or hospital. Many of them have stopped allowing it all together basically in my opinion because of stupidity or just lack of true statistics. Most woman who choose to VBAC are successful if they are not continuously monitored or subjected to other routine medical procedures. Not to say you can't be successful otherwise but chances for success are best if labor starts and finishes on it's own ( no, pitocen or other induction or augmentation). You must be allowed to use movement and be out of bed. Overall the most important thing to remember is to trust yourself and listen to your body. You alone can be the best gage of what is going on within yourself if you just trust your body and it's ablity's.
Good Luck to you and I will surely pray for your health and success!

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
#128 of 144 Old 04-12-2004, 01:59 PM

hello!

Looks like everyone had a nice weekend. We did the Easter thing here, too. Ds had a blast coloring eggs and got some neat stuff for his easter basket. The egg hunt he was less than thrilled with but oh-well

ketilave: great belly pics! Sorry to hear about your ds' health problems. I really hope you find something that works for him. My son just had his first ear infections and we did end up putting him on antibioitics b/c it just wasn't clearing up on its own. I'm not a big fan of them but it did work.

bwylde: That sounds awful! Seems like a bug that went around here last month. The only good thing about it was that it went fast. Hope thats the case for you all!

I think a few of you have mentioned some occasioal back pain. I'm having some too and I think its that sciatic nerve. Stars low on one side and goes down my leg. Most days its not too bad but sometimes it has me hobbling around in serious pain. Can't sit or lie in certain positions either. Gonna ask the mw about it at my appt. on Thurs.

Bears: I agree with everyone else about the doula: Go for it! You deserve it and what Katje described sounds absolutely wonderful! Good luck

So can anyone recommend a good belly cream or oil? Starting to get rather itchy. I've used Cocoa butter in the past but its so greasy and thick. Regular lotion just doesn't cut it either.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Mama to Boy (10) Other Boy (7) and Girl (4)   mdcblog5.gif in my profile!

#129 of 144 Old 04-12-2004, 02:17 PM

jillybean - I used the body butters from the body shop. I have seriously dry skin and that stuff works!
#130 of 144 Old 04-12-2004, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ditto Jilly....I use the body butter stick from body shop....
Many here at MDC recommended it to me a while back....

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#131 of 144 Old 04-12-2004, 05:53 PM

Here is the link to my belly photos. Talk about popping out over night. I can't believe the difference between week 22 and week 23. But I can say that each outfit I wear I look different.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jlcampbellkidz

Let me know if this doesn't work. I am not the best internet savy person and I wouldn't be surprised if I messed up somewhere.

Well, Easter went well. Although, I don't remember another Easter when it was so cold and wet. We didn't get out of the 50's and it rained or drizzled all day. We still enjoyed the day since we had a great Sunday church service and got to spend time with Family and friends.

The back ache has hit me. I could barely walk on Saturday. That really stinks. I have a chiropractor appt. tomorrow and I hope she will straiten things out.

Bears about the pp doula. It is a great thing for you and your husband and I think you will walk away feeling closer to your husband and children. Somehow they just make that NEW BABY transition easier. Again, you can use the DONA.org website to find PP doulas. Call some in your area and ask them who to contact about doula's trying to become certified. They are usually still very qualified for the job but are willing to do it for little or no cost to you in return for helping them with there certification requirements. Good Luck!

Is anyone else starting to think about optimal fetal possitioning yet? I know I don't have great posture and usually sit laying back or sllumped. I don't think I gave it much thought with the first pg. but this time I can't get it off my mind.

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
#132 of 144 Old 04-12-2004, 06:09 PM

I did mess up, I knew I would. Try this link instead
http://community.webshots.com/album/133582456VnsAVD

sorry girls, I am just knew at all this. I can work a computer but when it comes to pasting, copying or downloading I am so slow.

#133 of 144 Old 04-12-2004, 07:16 PM

I'm sorry to see that other mamas are having trouble walking due to back pain. I still haven't found the solution for me (I spent the weekend in bed), but I can list some of the treatment options:

-ice
-osteopathy
-chiropractic
-reflexology
-acupuncture
-acupressure massage

The pain is really getting to me. I feel as though I missed out on a great long weekend. When I do venture out, I feel too crabby to politely interact with others. I'm scared about the rest of the week. Tomorrow dh goes back to school and it will be up to me to make sure that dd gets enough outdoor playtime. Yikes. We might be cabbing it to the park again.

My MIL has offered to come help out. I'm still on the fence. It occurred to me that we might have different priorities, e.g., she would clean the fridge, the toaster oven, the stove, the floors, the closets, which is what she did when she came to help after dd was born, and I really need someone to take dd out to play. The rest can slide, you know?

On another note, I can't believe how much you all are showing! Should I expect to pop out in the next three weeks (I'm at twenty and am wearing non-maternity w/ an elastic looped through the buttonhole)?
#134 of 144 Old 04-12-2004, 08:22 PM

Well I am at 23 weeks and have a little belly but nothing real big yet. I am also very long in the mid section so I have alot of vertical space for the baby to move before I start pouching out. Plus this is my first... I am sure it will really come in the next 2-3 months!

Cheryl

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#135 of 144 Old 04-12-2004, 08:23 PM

Dodo I really hope you start feeling better soon. I am sure my pain is nothing compared to yours. I really feel for you right now.
My thoughts and prayers with you. Oh and thanks for the suggestions!

Cheryl: if you don't start showing for another 2-3 months then you will only be showing for one month. I can't imagine. I am 5'4" and the baby go's straight out as you can see from the link in the above post. I started wearing looser clothing in the 9th week of pg. with my first baby and at 12-13 weeks with this one. I started off bigger with this one than I did with the last. God gave us all such different body types you can't gage a persons pregnancy by size. I've seen some of the ladies 20 or so week photo's and I think to myself Gosh I look like that at 12 weeks. Even with your first I am sure you will start showing more in the weeks to come.

#136 of 144 Old 04-12-2004, 08:31 PM

I am also having my third kid in three years so my body has had no time to recover. I didn't get this big looking with DD but something about #3 - or so I have been told!

About optimal fetal positioning - oh yeah, sitting forward, no recliners and sitting on the floor are the things I am paying attention to at the moment. I had too much back labour with DD so I want to avoid it - man, that's what wore me out. Even spending a lot of time on my hands and knees and stuff we ending up during her some before I go too far along - oh mama ouch!

gtg - I need some form of dessert.
#137 of 144 Old 04-12-2004, 11:25 PM

Does anyone else wonder how emotional is too emotional? I have cried 3 times today for no-big-deal things. I am not under that much stress, I don't think. I have been getting irritated very easily. I am sometimes frightened by how angry I get (in my head.) Thank goodness I don't do/say what I think all the time. I'm normally much more patient. Is this a phase? Has anyone else had this problem?
#138 of 144 Old 04-13-2004, 01:19 AM

hey, christeeny... after two days of barfing and crankiness, i really let loose with the waterworks on friday. i just wanted to escape everything, and of course instead came home and cried in my pillow for an hour. dh was great, though worried. i just told him i'd be fine in a bit but just needed a little pity party. the rest of the weekend went fine... i definitely think it was hormones (i also broke out on my face that day, which i haven't done all pregnancy). i think something shifted, my body's getting readjusted to the new hormone(s), and in the process i just had to ride the waves.

i'm doing ok today, too, so maybe it was just a phase. i hope so, and i hope you're feeling better by now, too!

katje
#139 of 144 Old 04-13-2004, 09:50 AM

Naturegirl, I do know a woman who wasn't obviously pregnant to the world at large until her last month. But she caught up!
#140 of 144 Old 04-13-2004, 10:04 AM

sorry to hear so many of you are sick and have sick little ones! it's hard enough to care for our families just being pregnant sometimes, we shouldn't have to be sick on top of it!

we're doing ok here, tired as usual - when, oh when is that burst of energy coming? we had a good easter weekend, i'll try to upload some pics soon...kids had a blast hunting eggs though we couldn't do it for long w/ the ground being wet from rain the night before and it was cold.
i'm beginning to get really excited about this new baby, though i am fearful of the changes that will "rock" shelby's world...she's such a baby still, jake was 3 when she was born and was soooo easy to deal with during the transition of the new baby. shelby is a spitfire just like mama - complete with attitude <G> i've been bad ebay'ing things for ian (new baby) since we have no boy summer things...i also found that gymboree was having a sale online, so i picked up a sweater, booties, and hat set that has bunny ears on the hat/booties that are just darling! i hope to bring him home with the hat booties and a li'l short romper outfit maybe, it'll be too hot here for the sweater just then so i bought it bigger for winter...
sil is getting married saturday so i'm busy hemming dresses for it...and all i want to do is sew for ian...sigh, not like i don't have 18 more weeks to do that, but it's on my mind and i wanna do it now lol!
i'm super weepy lately too...i figured it was just a surge of hormones...i typically even back out in afew days if irc...
anyone else having circ talks w/ dh if you're having aboy or don't know the sex? dh is riding the fence on this one and i'm dead set on not circing this one...jake was circ'ed b/c i was young and uninformed...sheeple yk? sigh...
#141 of 144 Old 04-13-2004, 10:47 AM

"anyone else having circ talks w/ dh if you're having aboy or don't know the sex? dh is riding the fence on this one and i'm dead set on not circing this one...jake was circ'ed b/c i was young and uninformed...sheeple yk? sigh..."

When I found out I was pregnant this is one of the first things I thought of. I brought it up to my husband and he looked at me like as if he thought it was the craziest thing I ever said. So I wasn't looking forward to bringing it up again, but then we found out we are having a girl problem solved.

Good luck with the decision.
#142 of 144 Old 04-13-2004, 02:26 PM

For me there is not a lot of decision to make - DH is Jewish. Around here though there is no moyle, closest one is in MD, but a lot of people go to a pediatric urologist.

When I was in Austria at the holidays there was something going around about non-cric males being more at risk to HIV/AIDS - whatever came of that - bottom line you are at risk for not having protected sex...

DH is out and I have both kids asleep at the same time - oh S... I hear DD!!!! ARGH!
#143 of 144 Old 04-13-2004, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Guys we are on page 8 .. :LOL
I am going to start a new thread for us...
brb with the link

Free To Be~
Traci
~John Holt 

#144 of 144 Old 04-13-2004, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...hreadid=134170

Free To Be~
Traci
~John Holt 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page