anyone thinking about names? sigh... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2004, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we're at a standstill on a boys name, he's very traditional in most cases and i like some classic names, but border on trendy/unusual (though not as unusual as some i've seen on mdc!)...we are trying to find something that's not terribly popular in our rural area, so pretty much if it's "hick" - it's out lol! we also don't do timmy/tommy/charlie type names, or names that can be shortened to "cutesy" nicknames for boys...lol, you'd think i was picky or something :LOL
anyways, on the current list of contenders are
quinn/quinton (my g-fathers name is quinton - love it as a mn)
hayden
benjamin
reed
miles (dh loves it, i'm so-so)
alexander (though there's already an alex p**** but he's older and we don't see him)

any other ideas? or mn ideas to go with hayden? our standby name is probably benjamin reed - it's ok, just not sure it's *THE* name, yk? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2004, 02:58 PM

Well of your names i really LOVE Alexander... i would use Zander as a short name! LOL i LOVE that..... just my opinion. I also think miles is cute.

I was going through our baby name book for the first time last night... these are the names i have came up with that dh hasn't seen yet!!!
Hailey
Hanna
Kelsey

And i kinda like these...
Whitney
Jessica

I really want to use Cathleen for the middle name but have to think about a first name that would be ok...

Becky
SAHM to austin 4 y/o
and Abby 22 months
EDD 8/20/04
Old 04-03-2004, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

i like alexander, but it's the whole "someone in the family" (that we don't necessarily like lol) has it already...dh won't use names that are in the family unless it's really important ..like our girl's name we've got picked out is olivia madison - clint's grandmother's name was maddie and i like it, but it's too popular here, so i figured i'd use a form of it yk?
of your list of names i love hanna and kelsey - unfortunately both are super popular around here so couldn't even be considered.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:26 PM

I'm finding it hard this time to come up with just the right name. Last time, what we chose felt so right for the baby, but this time it's hard to know what to use. I do like some of the ones you've picked, but I'm so indecisive lately, I couldn't pick one I like the best.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:51 AM

I don't know why, but boy names are always so hard for me. If my husband had his way, we would name a boy Alyosha (from Brother's Karamazov).. it is a form of Alexander. From your list, I love Benjamin, Quinton, and Hayden. I dislike cutesy nicknames too.. I was thinking I liked the boy name Theodore if this baby is a boy, but then somebody reminded me of the nickname Ted--- not too crazy about that!

Mel
Old 04-04-2004, 08:40 AM

I really like Quinton. If you use it as a mn, what would you use for the first name? To me, Quinton Reed sounds really good together.

What do you all think of using Gael for either a boy or girl? Here, it is for both, but I just cannot quite get it as a boy name. DS has a one-syllable androgenous name also. Our last name is very long and difficult no matter what country your talking about.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
Old 04-04-2004, 04:32 PM

My ds is named Miles (Myles). I loved it, probably partly because I tend to want to name my kids after musicians. I've had a lot of comments from people about what a cool name it is.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:36 PM

We're struggling on boy names too. We've had 2 girls already so this should be a walk in the park, right?! WRONG! I don't know why this is so hard. We made the mistake of telling friends the names we had picked out had girls been boys and they named their boys what we had picked out. : So I need help finding new, unique, boy names to go with a very common "son" last name.

Does anyone have any names that would go well with our girls? Their names are Kalyn Christine and Saige Elizabeth.

We had these names picked out for dd#2 had she been a boy.

Keenan William
Keaton Thomas
Carter ?

Any ideas?

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
Old 04-05-2004, 02:10 AM

i am reposting my info about names from a thread that ended shortly after my post, so i didn't receive much response.

boy names:

forest raven

sage thomas

girl names:

chenoa ann

miakoda forest or something else

i also like liberty for a girl name.

my other two are takoda sky (boy) and sierra exine (girl). would it sound funny to use miakoda since we already have a takoda? we would call her mia, mostly. miakoda is my favorite name for a girl.

i am not set on any name yet and while wait until the baby is here before we pick a name. i am still looking around.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:22 AM

Juju - I think Miakoda with Takoda would be okay if you didn't throw in the name of Sierra. It seems strange to me to have two children with names that rhyme and then have one that doesn't. Also, I think since you have Takoda and Sierra, this one should have a nature name just to kind of go along with the established pattern. Is Miakoda something in nature that I just don't know about? It's 6:25 am here and I've been up for about 2.5 hours already, so my brain isn't fully functional yet.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
Old 04-05-2004, 05:50 AM

I love the name Benjamin. My Benjamin is 2 1/2 My grandmothers maiden name is Benjamin so that’s what gave me the idea to go with it.

I THOUGHT we were going to name this one Walden if he was a boy, but once we found out he IS a boy my husband broke out in protest..... uggh! So now were back at the drawing board..... So far the only 2 we can some what agree on is Abraham and Isaac.... we have good friends with a son named Isaac and I feel kind of strange thinking of using that name too.... is that silly??

Pam

"It doesn't matter who you love, or how you love, but that you love" ~Rod McKuen

Mom to 3 Married to geek.gif for 10 wonderful years luxlove.gif
13 af.gif 9 goodvibes.gifand 6coolshine.gif

Old 04-05-2004, 02:16 PM

my2girls: I like the names you have picked out the one i really like is carter mabye use a family member name for the middle name. I think there are lots of names that would go well with it!

Juju: i like the boys name forest... and not sure about the girls names.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:40 PM

Names are really difficult this time around. The girls were easy. Dh wants the name Elvis for a boy. I;m not really fond of it. I like Reid or Forrest.

For girls, I can't find anything I'm really fond of. I figure if it comes down to it, we will just wait to see the baby and see what fits then.

Joyfully- Laura
radically unschooling 3 awesome kids
Old 04-07-2004, 01:07 AM

madrone,

miakoda is native american and means power of the moon. i believe it is apache, but not sure about the exact tribe.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:32 PM

My friend's sister had a baby awhile ago and they named the little guy, Jasper. I thought this was the cutest name ever. We will be naming our soon to be son, Maxwell. Husband picked it out and really likes it, I like it well enough.
We are an interracial and cross cultural couple - me, WASP, born and raised in Canada, my husband biracial (dad Indian - as in India, mother Burmese as in Burma). My husband immigrated from India in his early 20's. He picked out a couple of Indian names and I tried to wrap my head around calling my son one of them, but it seemed too foreign - I couldn't relate to these names having not been raised ever hearing them. So, we kind of came to a compromise and my husband picked Maxwell. We will keep the Indian name, Ashok, as the middle name.
Good luck in finding a name that works for you, your partner and your little one to be.
Sandy
Old 04-08-2004, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

well, we came to a compromise...dh didn't like my grandfather's middle name and was ok with his first (but rather old fashioned imo)name...so his name will be ian marshall...it feels right
Old 04-09-2004, 12:17 AM

RothMommy, i just had to comment! i have a friend who is my local preggo pal... she's due about a week before me. her 14 y.o. son is named walden, and this new baby is also a boy... they were seriously considering naming him isaac, until her dh heard someone mention that the common nickname for isaac is "ike." well, that was the end of isaac! but they are also considering adam...

the funny thing is that when they were naming walden, the dh didn't want anything "biblical," and now he's changed his tune!

it was just a funny coincidence i'd thought i'd share with you...

katje
Old 04-09-2004, 12:49 AM

Madrone:
About Gael.....DH's family has a whole host of current and ancestral women named Gail and men named Galen, with various spellings thereof. Thought I'd toss that out at you.

Frogs: Quinn is such a nifty name, I think. Of course, there'll be comments about Eskimos b/c of that 60's song.....but that's not so bad.

I'm having great difficulty with the name "Oscar." DH has his heart set that this incomming kid will be a boy and he shall be called Oscar. What in the world do you use as a middle name? Our last name is 3 syllables, starts with a W.........

-Leah
Old 04-09-2004, 02:56 PM

Oscar is a very hip name right now Foxy....

Is anyone holding back the names they have chosen for their little beans from extended family/friends? We have names ready for boy or girl and people keep asking but we keep saying "not telling...":LOL..don't know..we just want this one full of surprises I guess....

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

Old 04-22-2004, 11:44 AM

Oh this one was hard.... I think knowing its our last child made picking a name 10 times harder. My husband picked the first name and me the middle.
Samuel Walden.

Old 04-22-2004, 01:50 PM

Congrats. It's a nice name. We are naming our little girl Sara May. Will you use a nickname?
Old 04-22-2004, 02:03 PM

I love the name Sara (or Sarah) my husband REALLY wanted to name this one Sarah if he was a girl, but I have an evil aunt Sara and I just would not have been comfortable. My husband was insisting on using the name Reuben or Samuel. I just could not bring myself to using Reuben... it reminds me of a sandwich and the guy from american idol last year... so I bought this book "Beyond Sarah and Sam a guide to Jewish baby naming" (or something along those lines).... never even got around to reading it I just got so fed up with the suggestion Reuben I said FINE Samuel it is! lol I dont know about nick names-- were big time Chicago Cubs fans so Im sure he will end up being called Sammy (as in Sammy Sosa) So our little tribe will be Maggie Benjamin and Samuel. I think they sound nice together

Old 04-23-2004, 02:02 AM

Well, good to see I'm not alone in having difficulty with this one. I think we may have decided on a girl's name, but not sure of the version yet. We found a piece of paper with my husband's family tree scribbled on it. His maternal great grandmother (maternal all the way) was Nora. I actually like that name. We normally would want to choose a celtic name, but family names work too. I started researching it, and figured out that Nora is a nickname for Eleanor, so we're trying to decide should she be Eleanor Grace (my grandmother's middle name, and our first daughter's middle name is my grandmother's first name) or should she be Nora Grace? Eleanor appeals, cause if she has an identity crisis later in life she could be Ellie, Lena, Nora, Eleanor or a number of other variations. Nora would always just be Nora.

Now, a boy's name, that's a whole nother story. Kieran John is my favorite for now. But, we've also discussed Avery, Alton, Griffin, Riley, Quinn or Quinton. Ugh!

And, whoever dismissed Ike, I have a friend whose son is named Isaac and they call him Ike. It's the cutest name ever! It's just so adorable giving little tikes such big personna names. I really like it, personally, but not DH, so it's out for us.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:18 AM

I was just lurking this thread for ideas. We found out we are having another boy. Our first son is Ben Christopher because dh's middle name is Ben-just ben. My name is Christine and so that's where christopher came from. Now, I like Thomas for this baby. It's my maden name. I really DON'T want him to be Tommy or Tom. Should I just avoid that name then? I would love to pass on my name like that since I dropped my maden name and kept my middle name when I got married. Another question is what goes with Thomas????
Old 04-26-2004, 02:26 PM

I think we have a boy's name. Duncan. I don't know any Duncans and it's fairly low on the SS List http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/, 496, which really appeals to us. No middle name just yet, but we're looking at family names now to see what we come up with. Eleanor Grace for a girl, and Duncan (?) for a boy. Whew! Hope we stick with them! LOL.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:31 PM

We are refusing to discuss our possible names with family at this point. Knowing full well that my mother will poke fun at anything that she sees as "unusual" for years to come.

Our first child was a boy - one of our girls' names at the time was Ainsley, and I'm still hearing how dreadfully aweful to use that name and make a child endure years of torment and turture being called Anus ! GRRR

Boys names in consideration are :
Wyatt, Blake, Marcus, Marik and Gavin

Girls names under consideration are :
Paige, Heather, Mallory, Robin, Hannah, Cecilia, Skylar

Our last name is Adams.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
Old 05-01-2004, 05:19 AM

We used up all our good girl names already! We should have given them all basic, easy middle names, just in case we had a volleyball team of girls. We did however, have one boy name picked out, each time I got pg. Haven't used it, and never will get to since this is the last babe.

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
Old 05-02-2004, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

i can commiserate with you lizabear, family is poking constant fun at this baby's name, and frankly even if i were on the edge about deciding on it (which i'm not) i'd use this name just to spite them lol...how's that for grownup/mature? <EG> those hormones! as i mentioned before we've decided on ian marshall, well you should hear the comments that gets around hick-ville, USA...sigh...might as well name the child methuselah with all the strange looks and remarks i get! "where'd you hear a name like *THAT*" is the most popular response, but also "that sounds like someone from another country..." well DUH - the name is scottish...grrrr...and dh's father is po'ed b/c we didn't name any of our 3 (nevermind you that one is a GIRL) after his father...well, crap - he didn't name HIS son after HIS father either! and honestly who wants to curse their child w/ the name "franklin cornelius"? gee, you think i've been a li'l stirred up about this lol...
Old 05-02-2004, 07:43 PM

Wow, Frog, I can't believe you're being teased for naming a baby Ian. I consider it to be a classic name, not at all controversial. I'm guessing that your state didn't have a whole lot of Scottish settlers?
Old 05-03-2004, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

dodo, we live in rural west TN near memphis...very much hickville grand central lol...mostly very plain names, those that aren't are borderline too trendy for me (too many brayden, taylor, hayleys for my taste lol - as well as the plain johnny, sam, etc)...no offense to those w/ kiddos named that, we just wanted our kids to not have 10 friends at school their age w/ the same names lol...it's a local thing for us...i think ian is a "normal" name too, but evidently not around here <G>

User Tag List