What can I take for diarrhea? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-03-2004, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies,
I've had a fritzy tummy and diarrhea on and off since yesterday. I'm not sure what it is-a bug or something I ate, or whatever. But I am thinking that if it continues, even into the rest of the evening, I will want to take something to help.

Early on in my pregnancy I had some diarrhea and checked my OB's list of OKAY things to take. It mentioned Kaopectate. I bought some and brought it home and realized that it contains salicylates-which is also in aspirin. So, I figured if aspirin was a NO-NO during pregnancy than WHY take the Kaopectate? Needlesss to say, I just suffered through w/out taking anything and all was fine after a day or two.

Any suggestions? TIA.
#2 of 18 Old 05-03-2004, 10:37 PM

I don't know if there is anything okay to take.

I had a bit of an off tummy a week or so ago - for a week - I stuck to a mostly bland, easily digestible, low-fibre diet until everything was normal again, and drank tons of water.

I figured whatever my body was trying to get rid of, was NOT something I wanted to retain inside my body anyhow, so why fight it ?

Hope you feel better soon.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#3 of 18 Old 05-03-2004, 10:38 PM

For some people bananas will help.
#4 of 18 Old 05-03-2004, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liza & Annmarie-Thanks for your replies. Lizabear-I have not taken anything thus far, and I've had a few short-lived sicknesses during this pregnancy. So, I am used to & prefer to just let things run their course. However, I wanted to know suggestions to perhaps have something on hand should things get worse. I am sticking to the bland diet, too. And I'm hoping that tomorrow brings a calmer tummy!

Annmarie-I love bananas, and we always have 'em. So, I'll be eating one before bed.
#5 of 18 Old 05-04-2004, 12:11 AM

poor bears!

last week, i had both the runs and a long spell of braxton-hicks... i bet they were related somehow. after not being able to sleep, and starting to get heartburn on top of everything else, i took a bit of pepto-bismol and was better in about fifteen minutes! i was finally able to sleep and i'm so glad i finally thought of it.

good luck and i hope you're feeling better soon!

katje
#6 of 18 Old 05-04-2004, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Samurai-Thank you! Today I am feeling MUCH better. You know, now that I think about it, the baby has been moving A LOT over the past few days. And I'm wondering if there were some BHs in there that I missed. I don't think I really know what a BH feels like since I don't *think* I've ever had one.

I have not taken anything, but I do have some Pepto at the back of the medicine cabinet. If it rears its ugly head again, I know it's there.
#7 of 18 Old 05-04-2004, 09:33 PM

I was told at my last appointment my diarrhea was related to my heartburn/acidy stomach. Something to think about
#8 of 18 Old 05-04-2004, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

bwylde-Thanks-and this would make PERFECT sense. My heartburn has really kicked in over the past week or so. Late last week it was sooo bad. And for the past few days I've been eating tums in handfuls.

I don't have an appointment for another 3 weeks, but I will bring it up to them again then. I guess all that rumbling in my tummy can produce the diarrhea.
#9 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 12:21 AM

hey, bears.... my midwife told me NOT to take tums, because by wiping out the acid, your stomach goes into overdrive to make even more acid to replace it... the long-term effect is that you will have even more problems with heartburn!

it sounds like a vicious circle, though... how do you break out of it? well, you probably know the drill... frequent, small meals, nongreasy, nonspicy, sleep on an incline, don't drink right after eating, don't lie down right after eating...

if i'm having problems just before bed, i do take a small swig of milk just to calm things down. if i can get to sleep before they start up again, i'm golden! i also try hard not to sleep on my right side... for some reason, it's worse when i do that.

something that's been helping, oddly, is fresh oranges. yes, i'm still eating one or two a day! and i find that if i can get one down when i'm starting to feel heartburny, it sometimes wipes it out. the midwife said it could be something about the two acids interacting... i dunno. i just works for me sometimes, and i'm passing it on to you!

i'll also do the little drink of milk thing when i'm feeling so funky that i can't even think about eating. if i get that down, then in a few minutes i can deal with a piece of toast, and then i can maybe manage a little salad, and by then maybe a piece of turkey breast will be OK. it's a battle every day and i cannot WAIT until i can enjoy food again!

you aren't alone, dear bears... hang in there. we'll all be cured in a couple of months!

hugs, katje
#10 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Katje-Thanks so much for the tips and the Tums warning. Then it would make sense that not only did I have the runs but I had a fritzy tummy.

I don't think that I'm eating frequently enough. Don't get me wrong, I think I AM eating enough (my waistline will attest to this)but perhaps I'm eating at the wrong times.

Yes, we will be CURED in 3 months! I remember being so excited after I gave birth that my ankles looked like my ankles again and that I didn't have HB!
#11 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 06:01 PM

According to Hale's book, Medications and Mother's Milk, Pepto is really a bad choice when you're pregnant. It's a category C during the first trimester, which means that adverse reactions have been revealed in animal studies, but no studies have been performed on women; and a catergory D during the second and third trimester which means that adverse reactions have been proven in pregnant women. It should only be taken if the benefits outweigh the risks, which in this case probably won't happen unless you become extremely dehydrated and there are no alternatives available, which there almost always are. Kaopectate is a category C, also.

If you really find yourself in the need of something, Imodium, Maalox anti-diarrheal control, or the Pepto or Kaopectate diarrhea medications (not the ordinary versions) are only category B, which means that studies are inconclusive as to whether there are adverse reactions or not. I'd call your doctor or midwife (if you have one) and get their input.

The BRAT diet is also pretty effective. Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Whenever there's an upset tummy, that's what we do, and it normally clears things up.

Hope your feeling better!
#12 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Caroline-Thanks very much for the additional info. I haven't taken anything and am back to normal-sort of. I still have a very sensitive tummy, but no more diarrhea. I have usually called the OB when I'm concerned, but thought I'd check here first. You ladies seem to be the experts-I wish you were delivering my baby!
#13 of 18 Old 05-07-2004, 06:03 PM

Just a little additional info as well - Pepto contains the same chemical compound which is in asprin and has a notation on it not to use during pregnancy or lactation.

Jesse (July '09)
#14 of 18 Old 05-07-2004, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liza-Thanks for the reply. I have the Pepto in my cabinet, but didn't end up taking anything. The runs are all gone and this momma is feeling much better. My tummy, however, does seem to be sooooo much more sensitive this time around.
#15 of 18 Old 05-07-2004, 08:30 PM

Do you like ginger tea or maybe peppermint tea ?

I had a touchy tummy with Boo - drank a LOT of peppermint tea. This time hasn't seemed so bothersome thankfully.

Jesse (July '09)
#16 of 18 Old 05-07-2004, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liza-I LOVE both, actually. I drink a mint tea when the tummy is fritzy. And I used to buy this great ginger one at Whole Foods (it was their brand) and they discontinued it. Don't you hate it when that happens?
#17 of 18 Old 05-08-2004, 12:45 PM

Completely ! A store near my parents used to carry a wonderful home-made loose mint tea - it was so much better than any other kind I have ever bought, but the store changed management and we can't get it any more.

Jesse (July '09)
#18 of 18 Old 05-18-2004, 03:27 AM

WOW you and I were the same person! From one day to the next, I go from runs to constipation. WTH? I wish it would even out yk? I need to get some bananas for the runny days, and have prunes for the harder days LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiEarthMama
poor bears!

last week, i had both the runs and a long spell of braxton-hicks... i bet they were related somehow. after not being able to sleep, and starting to get heartburn on top of everything else, i took a bit of pepto-bismol and was better in about fifteen minutes! i was finally able to sleep and i'm so glad i finally thought of it.

good luck and i hope you're feeling better soon!

katje

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page