Deoderant and the great arm-pit challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-11-2004, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondered if anyone has this problem besides me:

When I'm lactating or about to lactate, the deoderant that I've used daily since I was 10 (that would be Secret) does not work at all. When DD weaned a year ago, it started to work again. Now that my boobs are gearing up for another babe, this week appears to be the last use I'll get out of my deoderant stick for a long time. Much to my chagrin, the stink is back.

Now, according to something that I read in a men's magazine (about biological differences between men and women), women tend to have more under-arm odor because of milk glands near our armpits. Apparently we harbor more bacteria there b/c of the glands. This would explain why my deoderant fails when I'm nursing, so maybe it is true?

Anyone else heard of this?

Anyone else have this problem and found a super-duper deoderant that is up to the task?
#2 of 12 Old 06-11-2004, 04:58 PM

I guess b/c of the hormones during pregnancy and for the first 2 or 3 months afterwards I have a problem with perspiration. I usually don't have an odor problem though. I have heard good things about Mitchum and I used it for a while. It work amazingly for a while, but then became less effective for me. But I'd suggust trying that.
#3 of 12 Old 06-11-2004, 05:47 PM

well, at least part of that "stink" is your body gearing up to connect with the baby better... your baby learns your unique smell, and is comforted by it. it makes sense that your body will try to override whatever you are trying to do to wipe out that smell.

can you learn to live with it, and take comfort in the knowledge that you aren't dusting baby's breakfast with chemicals?

(if you're not planning to breastfeed, ignore this and go ahead with the big guns!)

katje
#4 of 12 Old 06-11-2004, 05:51 PM

Honestly (and a little sheepishly) - I haven't used any deoderant or antipersperant since before Boo was born in August '02, and likely won't until I'm completely through nursing any and all children I have.

I just swab out under my pits when they get funky or damp. I figure it's the bacteria that smells bad, so if I keep my pits clean, I shouldn't have a problem.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#5 of 12 Old 06-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxytocin

Now, according to something that I read in a men's magazine (about biological differences between men and women), women tend to have more under-arm odor because of milk glands near our armpits.
What can you say when you're speechless???? Except that you're speechless????

You know, I do believe that a Mens' magazine is THE ONE AND ONLY place on earth where there will EVER be a claim that womens' underarm's smell more then mens'!

I actually laughed out loud!
#6 of 12 Old 06-13-2004, 09:30 PM

Secret never worked for me. I used Mitchum for years and have recently been using Dove.
I can not go au natural - I find myself washing my pits hourly. I know it is a weird me thing, but I am so bothered by not having any on that I keep a stick in my desk drawer at work.
#7 of 12 Old 06-13-2004, 11:09 PM

let the natural odors flow...............

i haven't used any in years either. i bath daily and don't worry about it. although, mine do smell stronger than dh's pits. who cares???

plus, i don't shave them either. yep, that's me stinky and hairy.
#8 of 12 Old 06-15-2004, 01:08 PM

Haven't worn deodarant in years either. And don't wash them with soap. Just a little bit of an apple cider vinegar solution (1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 3/4 cup water, and about 6 or 7 drops lavendar essential oil) works wonderfully well for me. Vinegar eliminates any odor that is there already and it also puts the skin back to the correct pH, making it less of a pleasant place for bacteria to live.

BTW, DH was having a really bad problem with smelly pits. I think his skin was just too alkaline from using soap. He's been using the vinegar solution for about a month now and I think that it's getting better. All the diapering mom's know already that vinegar helps to rinse soap off. I think he had a bit of soap build-up that was causing the smell problem.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#9 of 12 Old 06-16-2004, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Huh. Now you all have definitely given me something to think about. Thanks! I'm thinking I'll definitely try out the vinegar solution.

-Leah
#10 of 12 Old 07-03-2004, 06:17 PM

I found a natural deodarant that I really like.... It is naturally scented with lavender and its active ingredient is rock salt. I love it and I have been using it for some time now because beyond having chemicals in Secret that seems weird when you are putting your baby so close to them--the alluminum inside it, I hear, may lead to breast cancer. Now, both my husband use alluminum-free deodarant--just in case!

The brand is Kiss My Face. Here's a random web site I pulled off the net that sells it: http://www.kokogm.com/Products/kf-83132.html. I buy mine though at the health/natural food store.
#11 of 12 Old 07-16-2004, 10:55 AM

I don't have any solutions to offer, but I can say that I noticed whenever I breastfed, I would get extra sweat under my arms. It never led to an extra odor problem though. I use dove. My mom had the same thing and swears she lactated in her arm pits. I'm fairly sure it is just sweat though. I used to use secret in high school, and something about my bo and their product just one day didn't click anymore, and I haven't used it since.
#12 of 12 Old 07-27-2004, 06:04 AM

My deoderant (Secret) hasn't worked my entire pregnancy. I even started double dosing it. The stick followed by the spray.
I just can't imagine NOT wearing deoderant, I stink too much! This thread has definetly given me some alternative ideas and thoughts, however.

Thanks!

Katie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page