**DONE** June Friends Chat (Summer Solstice - ?) - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2004, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies,
I'm sitting here with the computer in my lap and a pint of Haagen-Dazs (frozen yogurt & sorbet-yummy!). This is as close to heaven as I've gotten in a loooong time. DS wanted DH to help him to sleep tonight and they are BOTH asleep now. YEAH! I guess I should wake DH up, but I am really relishing the quiet.

We decided on a Doula service a few weeks ago. And we meet her this Thursday. I'm very excited to meet her. She has 20 years of nanny service under her belt and 9 years of doula work. Takes care of a lot of families of multiples. I have to admit I am still feelling a bit weird about the whole thing. We've never even hired a babysitter. So the thought of us "hiring" someone to care for all of us-even if it's only for a week or two a few hours here and there, well, it's a big step for me.

Feeling LOTS of movement today. Also, my nesting is getting into high gear. I am jonesing to clean out our rice/grain cabinet tonight. Sick, ain't it???

DH IS going to London next week. He's only going to be gone Thurs-Sun. So, although I'm a little anxious about it, I'm OKAY with the whole thing b/c it's for such a short period of time. Of course, babies are born in less than 4 days, but hey, I'm crossing my fingers...

Jl-35 weeks for me, too, on Thursday. Just BLOWS MY MIND! Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone with these crazy emotions!

Liza-Just read my posts and you'll know YOU'RE not alone in the emotions department, either!

Foxy-DH had a grand mal tantrum today. It was out of control. Sounds like something is in the air.

Ketilave-Thanks for the wonderful link.

Have I mentioned that I'm stockpiling the house with enough food and provisions to last us through nuclear attack? My nesting has included lots of grocery shopping and meal planning. If you're hungry for anything at all, I just might have it!

That's it for me... Sleep well, friends!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 12:20 AM

Man, when I logged on tonight I had like 40 emails. I just joined some other yahoo groups for Doulas in my area and apparently set it to send me an email anytime someone writes in on any subject, I have to change that quick.

Just wanted to check in before bed so I wouldn't have too much to catch up on tomorrow. My apt. is at 10:00 am tomorrow morning so I will update when i get home. Not expecting to have any interesting news just a regular apt. but I will be meeting the back up midwife for the first time so I have my whole list of questions for her and want to get her reaction to my birth plan. Have a wonderful evening ladies.

Sweet Dreams!

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
Old 06-30-2004, 09:28 AM

Hi Everyone! DH had yesterday off so we spent it, well, doing stuff that needs doing. Just realaxing would have been nice. Oh well. So he is leaving again on Monday, returning friday, the day I will be 37 weeks. They weren't supposed to send him anywhere after I turn 36 weeks. I guess that's what happens when you are pregnant during an election year I've decided that I'm not worried, though. I have a really strong desire to keep growing this baby until she is 8lbs, so that means I can't have the baby early. Somehow just deciding that has changed how I feel about about having the baby early even being a possibility.

DH had some interesting experiences on his trip. A bomb went off down the road killing 4 and injuring 17 (I think). They couldn't leave their hotel without at least one other person with them (well, DH did take his dog down to a park to potty by himself, but somehow I don't think he is in much danger when his companion is a military working dog trained in both explosive dectection and attack) They also had a few colorful interactions with locals.

So does anyone else have a lot of preassure on their tailbone/ pelvis area? My pelvis keeps popping, too. Right in the middle of the back. It pops when I move my hips or my legs. For me this whole thing kinda feels like the first time since my last pregnancy just wasn't normal. I feel like everything is new and I don't know what to expect.

Well, anyway. Have a great day ladies.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:40 AM

Hi everyone!

Thanks ap for setting up the sticky list!

Lena-sorry to hear that your husband has to leave again! That is just plain crappy, if you ask me. I have also had a lot of tailbone/pelvic aching. Sometimes I can barely walk. I have seen the chiro and she said to make sure to take a warm bath everyday, and it should help alot.

bears-glad to hear you got your doula all set up. I have had a friend offer to stay for a day or two to help out. It would be nice, but would be wierd to have someone else in the house too. I think I might be too tired to care at that point though. It is really hard for me to ask for help, even from my own dh.

This is a wierd question for everyone-when the baby moves, do you ever hear like a small pop like a bubble popping or snapping? I have heard it several times, and never experienced it with my first pg, and I have also never heard of anyone ever talkign about such a thing. Sometimes I think I am going crazy.

There was a thread on having babies on the full moon, and I looked up when our next full moons are, and there is one this friday and another on July 31, which would make it a blue moon. When I told dh this, he was very excited, and really wants me to have the baby on the blue moon. We shall see! It would be a perfect time b/c my m/w would be back and done with all her vacations.

Better get going! Have a great day!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:42 PM

just wanted to share a pic of my kids w/ the baby countdown chain we made last week...my almost 5 yo keeps asking, is it time yet? is baby coming today? - so i helped him make this to illustrate how many days we've got left...he stopped asking all those questions lol!
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL308...3/58458207.jpg
Old 06-30-2004, 01:49 PM

oh! i hadn't even thought of the possiblity of a blue moon baby, but it's certainly in my due range... that would be fantastic!

haven't had the popping thing, but i'd guess it was some ligament moving and releasing... does it hurt?

lena, i was thinking, "what on earth is her dh doing with a DOG?" but you cleared it right up. does the dog live with you when dh is home? or can you talk about that? i'm so sorry he has to leave again, but please thank him for us for keeping things safe...

bears, i'm sorry about your dh leaving, too... hopefully you'll be able to keep the ice-cream/sorbet supply well stocked and the week will fly by!

my dh's lab is doing a baby-book shower for us this morning, so i've gotta get ready. the idea is that everyone brings a copy of one of their own favorite books from their childhood, so the baby starts life with his/her own library! very sweet, i'm excited.

my friend did some batik work for me on a dress i ordered from dharma trading company. it's spectacular, and it's huge so i'll be wearing it a LOT for the next few weeks. green and blue and purple, with dragonflies and flowers patterned all over. she's also making an otter t-shirt, but it won't fit this belly for pregnancy... it'll be a nursing shirt.

i don't think i have one single picture of me during this pregnancy. i'll have to ask dh to take a few, because i'm not doing this again! besides, now that i really do look pregnant instead of just fat, i want to remember it...

no room in my stomach for much anymore. dh made me two poached eggs this morning and i had to give one to the dogs... i just couldn't fit it in! and the heartburn is becoming constant... i've bought some tums, even though i really, REALLY don't want to use them.

i think it was apmama, or maybe ketilave, who was talking about how she really isn't ready for this baby at all... i had two miscarriages, and i think i'm still in denial that this pregnancy is really going to end up with a real, live baby at the end. i'd better get things in gear, though. still, hard to believe...

my sister had said she was coming from july 27 to august 6 to help out, then she said she couldn't... and yesterday she called to say she could, and she even bought her plane tickets, so that was a huge relief. i was starting to stress a bit on getting help... i have a friend coming to stay august 8 for a week or so, but if the baby comes at all early i would have been stuck.

we're starting to talk about names more, and dh is enchanted with a boy's name that i'm not so hot about: darwin (you guessed it, dad is an evolutionary biologist). we'll be homeschooling anyway, so i'm not too worried about the kid getting teased on the playground, but other than that, what do you ladies think of saddling a kid with that name? we do live in kansas city, but we're planning on heading back to the west coast in about three years, so he won't be surrounded by fundies either...

ok, off to shower before my shower!

take care, you beautiful preggo mamas!

katje
Old 06-30-2004, 03:53 PM

Katje: I hope your shower is funfilled.

Frog: Cute pic and cute Idea

Ilove: No, don't think I have ever experienced the popping sound other than when my water broke last time. Oh and a blue moon baby. That would be kinda cool!

Lena: you poor thing. As if there isn't enough for you to think about already. I hope something changes so he won't have to go.

Had my MW apt. today. I met her back up and I LOVED HER! She spent like 45 min. with me and my husband. Just talking and getting to know me and what my ideas and expectations for birth were. I only gained 2 lb. since my last apt. 3 weeks ago, and i don't have to go back for another 2 weeks. It will be just 1 day before I am 37 weeks. My BP was 118/68 Baby is head down and facing my tail bone Yeah! I was having some major tail bone pain about a week ago but I kept doing my opt. fetal positioning and it went away. I am measuring about a week ahead 35 1/2 cm. But she palpated the baby and said she doesn't feel big at all. Ofcorse it's just a guess but she was thinking between 4 and 5 pounds. She said that was right on were it should be. She reminded me that we could meet our new baby in the next 4 to 6 weeks. So exciting.
Well that's it for me. I am sure I will check back this evening so not to get too far behind. Will we be moving to another new thread since tomorrow is July 1st? I can't believe we have done 8 pages already in such a short period of time.

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
Old 06-30-2004, 05:43 PM

Hi Ladies! Just a quick question for you:
ABout swelling: Hardly had an swelling with DD, so this is new for me. Anyway, yesterday afternoon I noticed my ankles were getting fat. Propped up for a while, but had no change. When I got up this morning, my face had puffed some overnight and my ankles are all tight and itchy, still swolen. A walk this morning helped my face somewhat, but I can definitely "feel" the puffiness when I smile or blink. An hour propping of my feet hasn't helped a bit.
I don't really understand the process of what is happening when you retain water. I don't understand why this has set in so quickly? For those of you who normally retain water, does yours set in so rapidly? And why wouldn't changing my circulation help? Looked up info with Dr. Sears, but he wasn't exactly forthcoming on the biology behind water retention.
I'm drinking tons of water and trying to up my protein intake. This pm we're going swimming. I feel like I'm battling my body.

Sure is great to have a group of people I can ask.

-Leah

-Leah
Old 06-30-2004, 05:56 PM

I'd watch the swelling really closely. Monitor other signs, as well, like your blood pressure, your general state of feeling well or not well, whether you can poke the swollen areas and they bounce right back or not, etc.

Thank goodness my swelling has disappeared. I'm sure it was just from overdoing it on vacation. We ate out every meal, walked miles and miles all over the place (the zoo, Sesame Place, museums, downtown sightseeing, etc). Now that I'm home and back on my own diet, and starting to take it easier, the swelling is gone. Take it easy, but don't be surprised if it takes a few days to go back down. Did you eat anything unusual that might have brought the swelling on?

Tips I use, lots of protein, moderate amount of salt. Don't eliminate salt entirely, as it really is a necessary thing for your body. Soak as much as possible, put your feet up whenever you can (higher than your hips is the rule of thumb), rest, rest, rest. We're putting our bodies through a lot these days. And, second pregnancies are harder than first ones, cause we have the first child to care for at the same time. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:02 PM

Here's my swelling input:

My swelling is a problem when it goes above the mid-calf line.... that's usually when it is causing other problems (like blood pressure and headaches and spotty vision).

I have very edemic ankles/feet/legs and have for a few weeks. Some days are better than others.... and this is with bedrest.... so blech.

I can leave pits in my legs a good inch deep.... it's kinda gross.

My hands are starting to really get the puffiness, and that is bothering me, because it's just one more step towards the inevitable....

Definitely watch for:
Spotty vision
headaches
Puffy face/hands
Pain under the ribs, especially on the right side
Epigastric pain, like bad heartburn

Hang in there!

Kimberly (34w5d)
Old 06-30-2004, 11:26 PM

Ooooh, Kimberly, you can leave pits an inch deep? Whoa. And mommycaroline, I'm glad your's has gone down. Thank you both for the kind words.
I went ahead and called my OB's office just to see what they had to say and they asked me to go ahead and come in tomorrow, just to check on things. What the heck, sure can't hurt to stand on the scale one more time and keep my arm still for a blood pressure cuff. And I don't know about you all, but I'm getting pretty darn proud of my peeing in a cup skills. About the time I get it down to an exact science, of course, we'll be having this baby. One of life's little ironies.

Oh! I was going to respond to everyone else, but DD is having a minor crisis. She, in the buff, helped her dad build a potter's wheel this p.m. and got some wood glue that then dried on her arm and belly and is starting to really freak about it. Poor kiddo. It isn't hurting her but I guess it's odd enough considering the limited range of experiences she's had in her wee little life so far. I best go attend......

-Leah
Old 06-30-2004, 11:52 PM

:
Bears!..... That is soo awesome you finally found a doula!!! Yippee!! I am so happy for you! Don't feel weird...I did too when I first strated meeting with my doula but now I love her and we talk for hours(literally hours) on the phone.

Heather.....love the chain idea for the kiddos! We do this for everything! Never thought about doing it for the baby! Cool!

Melissa... I saw that thread too and am totally into the possibility of having a "blue moon" baby..that would be cool....
I do not have the popping thing you speak of, but I definiatley get weird gurggle noises or like grumblings in the baby area...:

Katje
Hope your book shower was fun! and that is soo cool about your batik dress..I am actyally trying to get my birth bundle cloth ready and wanted to do some batiking for it, but looks like tye-dye will be it for me now...running out of time. And I like Darwin....

Leah ....hope that swelling goes down ..let us know what the doc says tomorrow.......

Laurie...glad your appt went well today! It is getting so close for a lot of us!

Kimberly 34w5days!! woo-hoo!

and yes we need a new thread tomorrow!!!
It will be July girlies!!!

Who will start it for us?
Please let us know here with a link so we don't get lost!

My mom went to a reader yesterday and the lady told her that we are having a boy and will have 2 more children later ! Totally impossible as we have no more room in the house after this one and dh would have a heart attack! :LOL....

I got my homeopathic birth kit yesterday...so I am pretty much ready..except trying to decide what to wear during labor...what are you all wearing?
I am thinking a tank/sports bra type thing and a sarong skirt, or a long strappy tank like night gown...????......hhhmmmm...or maybe just opting for the dull boring hospital rag and save my $$$.

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

Old 07-01-2004, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

I created a new thread for July here:

New Thread

I suggest that we start using it right away. It's still June, but what the hey.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

User Tag List