Labour Bag - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-06-2004, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, have you packed your bag for the birth centre/hospital yet? Whaddaya got in it?

~Daednu (just bought toothpaste and a toothbrush today to put in mine)
#2 of 18 Old 07-06-2004, 08:25 AM

I've started working on mine. For labor I'm thinking: socks, bathrobe, lavender oil. For afterwards: 1 nightgown I don't mind getting dirty, toiletries, going home outfit, pads, nursing bra and pads, baby's things. I am also packing a bag of toys, books, and art stuff for DS to keep him busy when he is there. I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of yet though.

Oh, I also need to bring phone numbers and my cell phone. Oh, and snacks and stuff. Umm, I'm sure I'll think of more after I post this.
#3 of 18 Old 07-06-2004, 06:58 PM

I think i should really be starting on this!!! LOL i mean i'm already 34 weeks... i could go into labor at any time (not likley with my past but could happen).

I was planning to pack...
nursing JP's
a few pairs of undies
going home outfit
nursing bra
tolitries
baby going home outfit
prolly more i'll member as i pack!
#4 of 18 Old 07-06-2004, 08:56 PM

aw, i'm a little jealous... being a homebirther, i've never packed a bag with baby's first outfit or anything like that.

it's sort of like homeschoolers being jealous of schoolkids who get to ride a bus and pack a lunchbox!

have fun packing and getting ready for that precious little arrival... not too far away now!

katje
#5 of 18 Old 07-07-2004, 02:30 PM

Well I only have a few weeks to go since I'm almost 37 weeks now. I have put a few things in a bag so far.

Here's what is in my bag so far.

extra undies
warmer outfit for baby
cooler outfit for baby
a few health and beauty items (razor, bodywash, lotion, etc...)

Here's what I need to pack.

nursing bras
baby book
extra outfit for me
blow dryer
phone numbers added to cell phone
phone card
birth announcements

What else am I missing?

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#6 of 18 Old 07-07-2004, 04:00 PM

I'm packing light this time. I had a bunch of stuff last time, and it was mostly cumbersome. This time, the list will be very short. I mean, what really will we need?

Toothbrush, toothpaste
My own shampoo/hair products
going home clothes for me
going home clothes for baby
Baby book
maybe a book for me.

Everything else is part of the package. I mean, they even give you disposable undies to wear, which, although they're not very comfy, they sure are a better choice than ruining your own pair with the volume of locchia you produce. I'm hoping to only be there for part of a day, maybe one night, but even if I'm there longer, I just don't want to be bothered with stuff. Babies don't need much, why should we?

I've debated bringing cloth diapers in, but I think we'll probably use sposies until the meconium passes. We did this last time, too, and it worked well.

Oh, and one more thing I'm bringing that I don't expect to bring home is some expressed milk. With all the concerns about GD I've had, I don't want to give them the opportunity to slip my baby some glucose water. If glucose levels are low, I'm planning on giving some breastmilk to solve the issues, as well as nurse, nurse, nurse! I've been trying to express some of my own, but I'm not producing very much right now. If i can't get a little more in the next few weeks, I'm planning on asking a friend with a newborn if she'll give me a couple of ounces "just in case".
#7 of 18 Old 07-07-2004, 06:57 PM

It's hard to know what to bring. I did pack about 8 bottles of water because it's a pain to get in the hospital (and it's not the best tasting) and I was very thirsty after last time!!

I brought for me a nightie, some shirts and shorts, underwear to wear home, some toiletries and a sleep bra that is good for nursing. For the baby I brought a bunch of baby gowns (I hate what they have in the hospital), some cloth diapers (mainly for wearing home because I'm going to use their sposies) and a couple receiving blankets.

I'm also going to bring a roll of quarters, a disposable camera in case we forget the digital one, something to read, snacks and I'm sure I'll think of a few other things as the time gets closer. Oh yeah, I have birth announcements in there in case I'm ambitious :LOL .
#8 of 18 Old 07-07-2004, 08:58 PM

If I were going to the hospital, I'd pack:
pepper spray to get the mean nurses away from me
switchblade to cut the pitocin drip they insist upon using no matter what

just kidding!!!

I would make sure to bring lip lube, my own pillow and a comfy nightie

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
#9 of 18 Old 07-07-2004, 09:09 PM

I'm hating life that I have to go to the hospital. I don't feel that UC is a safe choice for me, so the only alternative I have is to go to the hospital.

I'm thinking they won't let me bring your list, Terri. Can I tell you how jealous I am of those who are having homebirths?
#10 of 18 Old 07-08-2004, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Oh lip stuff! That's one thing I'd forgotten about. I'll put the Lansinoh in there as it's my favourite lip balm anyway.

~Daednu
#11 of 18 Old 07-08-2004, 05:36 PM

Boy, I hadn't even thought about this yet...I figured I had tonnes of time but seeing that I am 35 1/2 weeks I should get prepared I really hope I don't need to actually use a hospital bag because everything will go smoothly at home. :

So what are the true necessities I wonder? I see a lot of toothbrush and toothpaste posts. Do I need to bring pads? Do I need to check with the hospital and ask them what they supply? This is all new to me...

To tell you the truth I haven't even done the "hospital tour" that my midwife suggested months ago. Maybe I will have to get that in this weekend too. Yikes, it is getting close, isn't it?

Cheryl

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#12 of 18 Old 07-08-2004, 11:12 PM

Oh yeah, a sling and Lansinoh; how could I forget those (I've never slung a baby so it shouuld be intresting )
#13 of 18 Old 07-09-2004, 06:50 PM

well, considering i'm somewhere btwn 34 and 36 wks i guess i oughta be packing a bag soon huh? :joker
let's see, i'll probably pack a few outfits for ian (depending on weather/temp types yk?), a disposable camera, some cloth diapers, some toiletries for me, a going-home outfit for me, nursing bra/pads, lavendar body butter to help me relax in labor, perhaps some bottled water, and some lansinoh...
#14 of 18 Old 07-15-2004, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

BTW, I read a list the other day that had a list of things to bring for the father. HA! Yeah right! He can fend for himself. They even had "sandwiches" on there for things to bring for him. HA HA! Either everyone is much kinder than me when they go into labour, or the list people were nuts.

~Daednu
#15 of 18 Old 07-15-2004, 10:11 AM

bwaaaahhaaahaaa! stuff for dad daednu? YEAH RIGHT! he can fend for himself...and let me tell you, if he dares bring food into the room while i'm laboring again if they won't let me eat - i'll bobbit him...lol...i plan to bring "contraband" (food/drinks) this time anyways, we'll see if i actually want it lol...
#16 of 18 Old 07-15-2004, 10:31 AM

I am bringing a bunch of massage stuff and sandlewood candles (if they will let me use them).....I am planning on doing most of my laboring at home.

(Cross your fingers... my mom and grandmother always had short labors that usually included almost delivering in the car... and my little baby is around the size and temperment that I was.)

Also, I am bringing my husband's swim shorts... the midwives have an awesome birthing pool... and he can get wet in his clothes, but if there's time, I thought to give him a different option. As for clothes for him to change into (he's a sweater when he gets nervous and emotional), he's packing that himself.

And, a list of phone numbers for Will (hubbie) to call--including our bosses.

nursing nightgown, robe, and bra, going home outfits for girl and recieving blanket and burp cloth, no dipes (using sposies until yucky poops and umbilical cord go away),

lip balm (yummy peppermint type), and peppermint gum--I have a feeling that I will be very nausous during labor, already feeling it now in intervals

I heard people get cold feet (no, pun intended ), so I guess extra socks...and I heard a sock full of rice to be heated up in microwave is great for backache....and/or a sock full of tennis balls as a back massager.

ANd I have a labor ball even the midwives' already have one.

Am I going crazy here?

Ps--As for the whole giving the baby glucose water if breastmilk hasn't come in yet, who makes that decision-the nurses or the pediatrician? I am thinking if you have the baby in room, they won't be able to slip things by you. And if you have a supportive doctor/midwife and/or pediatrician, would there be that much prob? A friend of mine who just had a baby with my midwife had an adorable baby boy who only licked her breasts and really didn't eat at all for several days, but I don't think she gave sugar water... or maybe I'm mistaken. If all else fails though, having a nursing friend who is willing and wating is a good plan. Hey, btw, what does your husband think about a friend nursing, my husband is very new to this natural stuff and is very grossed out by it.
#17 of 18 Old 07-15-2004, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersarahmommy

Ps--As for the whole giving the baby glucose water if breastmilk hasn't come in yet, who makes that decision-the nurses or the pediatrician? I am thinking if you have the baby in room, they won't be able to slip things by you. And if you have a supportive doctor/midwife and/or pediatrician, would there be that much prob? A friend of mine who just had a baby with my midwife had an adorable baby boy who only licked her breasts and really didn't eat at all for several days, but I don't think she gave sugar water... or maybe I'm mistaken. If all else fails though, having a nursing friend who is willing and wating is a good plan. Hey, btw, what does your husband think about a friend nursing, my husband is very new to this natural stuff and is very grossed out by it.
Noone gave my 2 year old sugar water. Your milk doesn't come in until a few days after giving birth anyway so if that was the case they all would get sugar water. My dh doesn't have a problem with me nursing. He's all for it and thinks it's an amazing thing. When you see those legs get chunky you'll know it amazing that breastmilk really is!

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#18 of 18 Old 07-15-2004, 12:47 PM

Some babies are given sugar water when they are born b/c their blood sugar is dangerously low. That it what people were talking about. Some people are trying to collect their colostrum to be able to give their babies at birth if neccessary so that they can avoid having to give sugar water. My son was born with dangerously low blood sugar since I have hypoglycemia (and of course hadn't eaten in forever). This time I have arranged with my doctor to be able to eat and drink whatever I need so that my blood sugar does not go way down so that they baby's blood sugar is also fine.

And I think that if you and your husband are comfortable with a friend nursing your baby then it's fine. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it, but that's just me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page