**DONE** End of July, The Babies They are A'comin Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 145 Old 07-24-2004, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey just a quickie girlies
found this nursing bra for a wow price..I ordered two....I know it is not a *name* brand but for my income it is just right...I just hope I am not losing too much in quality..

http://www.momshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=1470

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#122 of 145 Old 07-24-2004, 04:56 PM

I'm getting lonely here in babymoon land!!

I keep going to the July board to read about their new babies, but it's not the same!! I am forever nak! I need you guys to join me in babymoon bliss land

I promise I won't overdo it! Girl Scout's honor! Oh wow, Katie needs to wake up soon!! I just soaked through both sides! Through my nursing pads, bra, and now I'm dripping through my tshirt! Wake up kiddo!!! Hehe. It's only been about 2 hours since she nursed!

Kimberly
#123 of 145 Old 07-24-2004, 05:55 PM

LENA!!! What the heck is the deal with the doulas up there. I know F'burg is a part of NOVA now but WOW! Here in Richmond they average $250.

So, the class went well except I need to go back and get the pillows I left. The best part - when they palpated my belly and felt the babies head - the look on each woman's eyes...that's what this is about. I was so busy being poked and prodded I didn't get to say much but I did have an epiphany - I just need to try and implement it. More later on that.

Katje - your words are dead on. It's sad to see the spirit of women loving and supporting women through labour end up being haggled over a contract.

Jlcampbellkidz - LOL - in a sad sort of way. With DS I went in at 42 weeks water borken 50% effaced and 0 dilation (noon). At 3 am with 9 hours of pitocin I was 3 cm and 80% effaced. Oh the pain! With Amelia I was closed and soft the whole time. But, I went from 4 cm to baby in 5 hours so I don't think about it as much this time. Actually, I won't let them tell me anything anyway! And - about birthing - again, dead on - it's not for me to decide how a woman births but instead I feel it's important to educate women to help them empower themselves and maintain control over their body. I mean it takes a lot for me to welcome someone sticking their hand up me!

I am working on that with my SD - you don't have private parts - your whole body is yours and you have right and responsibility to take care of it and protect it.

GTG need to get my pillows back so I have them for bed tonight.
#124 of 145 Old 07-24-2004, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

I’m going to check out Dollarama ASAP. Thanks for the tip.

I took a two-day hiatus from nesting. Instead, I spent a lot of time with dd. Yesterday I kept her out of daycare. We went to the park where she had a freak accident involving a little friend, a soccer ball and some concrete. Her face is all scratched up and one of her lenses in her glasses needs to be replaced. Even though it was no one’s fault, I still had this overwhelming sense of guilt, as in, why did I take her today of all days? My focus seems to have changed from me and my pregnancy to her and my pregnancy. I am trying to enjoy these final weeks as a family of three.

I am worried about how the world perceives me. Last night dh and my landlord decided to order take-out from the same Indian restaurant. Unfortunately, the kitchen screwed up my landlord’s order. It took him and dh a lot longer than it normally would have to get home. Dh was freaked that I’d be angry, the landlord was freaked for dh. This morning the landlord left a bag of chocolates in our mail slot apologizing if his wait ruined my evening. Do I really seem like that angry of a woman? I was worried that they’d been in a car crash, not that they were making me wait for my Nan bread!

On the same note, I feel like I have a commanding presence on crowded city sidewalks. People jump to get out of my way. As I pass, I hear comments like this morning’s “Now that’s a big belly.”

I contract every time I walk or stand. Do the rest of you? I think that this is new to me.
#125 of 145 Old 07-24-2004, 07:22 PM

Just dropping in quickly. I will be back later to read the last couple of pages...

Appointment went good. Baby is head down but is on the right and not the left. Not a real biggie just not textbook ideal. Baby measured fine. BP fine, etc. She didn't even bother to check the hb as we were feeling a lot of movement in the exam. I am about 1 cm dialted and 50% effaced so it looks like I am "getting ready" but nothing too immiment. I will get the results of my GBS on Monday or Tuesday. I hope it's negative to avoid any extra hassle if I need to transfer to the hospital. I am not too concerned about a positive with my mw and home birth but the hospital staff may be a little more strict.

Dh and I are going to a movie since it is sooooo hot out and no a/c! The theatre should be cool.

I'll try to catch up with everyone when I get back and it cools off some...

Thanks for all the well wishes with my appointment!

Cheryl

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#126 of 145 Old 07-24-2004, 10:31 PM

Sounds like a good appt Cheryl! Enjoy the movie! I got dh and I a dvd for tonight..Starsky and Hutch...hope it is good...We love Will Farrel and what's his name....???...oh yeah Ben Stiller...

Been fighting some swelling in my feet and ankles yesterday and today..but no worries to me...I just need to lay down for a bit and get the *load* off...and the swelling in my armpit is virtually gone homeopathy....

Kimberly I am sure by the end of next week someone will join you...I am hoping for next Saturday myself..and will visualize it all week...I want a blue moon baby....

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#127 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 12:04 AM

Hey Ladies!
Hope everyone's having a GREAT day. I had a WONDERFUL day. My little group of playgroup friends threw me a surprise shower. I am the first (and potentially only) one of the group to have #2. They are the most amazing group of women I've EVER met. They are truly THE definition of true blue friends. I feel like they are all my loving sisters.

Then tonight DS went to the ILs and DH and I had a rare night out alone. Went to dinner, did some shopping, etc. Heavenly, ladies, just heavenly...

Laurie & Lena-I plum forgot that you both are 3 cms!

Katje-I rarely get outta this thread, too!

bwylde & Dodo-Gotta love the Dollar Stores. My local one has different things each time and great laundry organizing stuff.

Ketilave-I really respect your feelings about the Doula stuff and only wish you and Laurie and the other great doulas here lived closer. Sounds like you were able to speak your mind a bit today. Some of what you've talked about is what spurred me to opt out of using a PP doula. I got the clear vibe that this was a money making venture-mostly childcare stuff. Not much heart in it. That's what was missing for me...

Kimberly-Someone HAS to join you soon-either Lena or Laurie, maybe???

Dodo-I've been getting a lot of sympathy stares and tonight someone walked by me and said, "You'er going to have that baby soon!". I told them I'm still over a week and a half away from my official EDD.

Lena-We love our digital camera (I still don't really know HOW to use it, though : ) BUT DH isn't the best at actually printing any of the good pictures, so for me-I like to use my regular old 35 mm. That way, I'll have a real roll of film to get printed, too.

Ap-I almost forgot about the blue moon baby thing! So cool, let's see who goes...Also, thanks for the bra link. I really check out all your links and really appreciate them b/c I do buy on line and I yearn to see new sites...and cheap bras!!

Was it Ketilave who asked about having the desire to shop?? I have it NOW and I did last time with DS at this stage of pregnancy. I am actually spending a lot of $$$ lately-splurging here and there on things that make me feel good (like a good bra, comfy pajamas, new lotions/moisturizer, etc). I think I am done, now, though....

Okay, that's it for me. Talked to my friend today who had a baby girl earlier this week. She reassured me about the transition from going to 1-2. Said her 3.5 yo has beeen great with the baby and she just feels so much more relaxed this time around... I know it's only been a week for her, but it should give us all hope...

Okay, gotta get DH to rub my feet before I fall into bed...
#128 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 12:33 AM

Ketileve-I want to shop too! I actually did today, I spent about three hours shopping alone. I actually didn't buy much, but I am looking forward to exercising and getting back to normal size and doing some major shopping. I saw so much cute stuff today. Normally I don't see anything I like, but I want to hold out until I lose the weight. Good motivator. I found a cute gymboree outfit at the second hand store for 4 dollars.

I found a really comfy nursing bra at Kohls-It is Olga. It feels so much better than the bravado ones I have been wearing. It also lifts and separates! Amazing! My boobs aren't laying on my stomach anymore.

Kimberly-I am jealous of you in your babymoon! Hopefully I kick in soon. I am also hoping for blue moon baby. My husband is counting down the days, he wants a blue moon babe so bad. I am glad to hear that nursing and everything is going so well for you.

I am also waking up alot. My baby likes to put her feet on my ribs, it hurts! She also pushed against my side so hard...OW! Lots of BH here too. Riding in the car also makes me have a lot of BH. I have crampy BH's about 1-2 times an hour.

Also-I have been having very vivid dreams. Very wierd! Sometimes I am half awake while I have the dreams which makes them even more wierd.

Good night!
#129 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 12:38 PM

Ok - pity party day - felt really good yesterday. Sore throat, queesy, tired etc. I'm not sleeping too much either. Up every 2 hours (back in training) plus very achy and stuff. And, I want to check in here to see if anyone has had their kid yet but at the same time I'm very jealous. I hate this part of being "late." Even when I try and focus on a different date I still harbour hopes deep down inside that maybe this time it will be different. I even asked them not to give me a due date this time and of course I was ignored.

Oh - my dreams are all about having to pee - very scary because I'm totally freaked I'm going to soak the bed!

That's about it - thinking about getting back in bed (again) I just feel so yuck.
#130 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 12:56 PM

apmama~ That is a very pretty bra. If only it was in black, I'd snatch it right up. It's tough to find pretty nursing bras, and particularly in black. Being that 99% of the clothes I wear are black, it doesn't make any sense for me to buy white bras.

~Daednu
#131 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 01:38 PM

My baby girl is a week old today! Happy 1 week birthday Katie!

I empathize with all of you and your aches and pains. I am feeling better every day, and I stopped taking Lortab yesterday. This morning we went to Target to get some school supplies for dh (he's a teacher) and I did really good! I'm questioning if I can really do the outlet mall this week..... I really *want* to but I don't know if I can walk that far.

I'm officially sending labor vibes to all of you who are 38+ weeks C'mon out babies!!!!!

Kimberly
#132 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 02:03 PM

Kimberly - I walked around Colonial Williamsburg with Brannon in a sling about 4 weeks after my c/s and was HATING life. I could barely stand at the end of the day. Don't forget all the muscles and everything else that get cut and need to heal.
#133 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 03:40 PM

Well it is finally cool enough that I can sit in my house and not melt! I finally caught up and read the last 4 pages of posts. Sorry if I can't remember who all posted what. :

Kimberly, I would take it easy on the shopping. You need to rest and heal. Great to hear the swelling is coming down and Katie is pooping! Sounds like you are doing wonderful.

Bears, hope the yeast infection clears up. Sorry I don't have any info on the meds and the risks to share with you. And how sweet of your playgroup! A surprise baby shower! Sounds like a great group of women.

A couple of you sound like you could have babies any day! I can't wait to hear more exciting birth news. I think I have at least a good couple of weeks left to grow this baby.

I have been reading all the advice about diaper pails. I am using cd's and don't have any type of pail yet and the whole dollar store thing has me intrigued. I might have to make a trip there today. We should be able to keep our pail in the garage by the washer and dryer so I am not too concerned about it getting too smelly but I do have some tea tree oil and lavender on hand to help the smellies. BTW, if anyone wants a wipe solution recipe just let me know. I plan on making my own wipes using this recipe I got from a cd site. It doesn't have any harsh chemicals in it like the store boughten stuff can.

And shopping!!! I spent this weekend buying another sports/nursing bra, nursing pads, extra sheets for the bed, some new cd's to listen to during labor, water bottles, gardening shoes, warm cozy socks, etc. All things I "needed" but ! I also have been cleaning like a crazy woman. I scrubbed my bathroom floor and tub yesterday, dusted, did laundry, weeded my garden and did all the dishes. Today I tackle the kitchen floor and the birth tub/computer room! Plus all the vaccuming. That should keep me out of the stores...

And for those of you hitting the movies this weekend...Dh and I went and saw Cat Woman (his choice) and it was pretty bad. I wouldn't recommend it. Just FYI

Hope everyone is doing well and feeling better for those of you who are struggling with illness. Get some good rest and I will talk to you all again soon.

Cheryl

P.S. YAH Lance Armstrong on his 6th Tour de France!

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#134 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Cheryl, I just bought almost all of the same things you did: nursing pads, bras, etc. I still need new sheets. There is an outlet store within (sciatic) walking distance of my apartment, so I should be able to cross that off my list soon.

So my urge to shop is hormonal? Because the only thing that keeps me out of the stores is my need to clean. My family recently sent me a chunk of money to, you know, invest in our future, but I have silly thoughts like maybe I can guess what size of jeans I'll need for the first few months after the baby's born.

I spent last night screaming at my family and cleaning the bathroom like it has never been cleaned before. Not a very good Saturday night, but maybe not unusually so for a very pregnant woman. And now I don't want anyone to bathe or shower. Pregnancy really makes me mentally unstable.

Oh and Cheryl, if you wouldn't mind, could you post your wipe recipe? Last time I used plain old tap water, but I might branch out this time and am open to suggestions.
#135 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 04:43 PM

I make my own wipe solution, too. I bought wash cloths at Walmart or BJ's (can't remember which one) and they were something like three dozen cloths for $5. I ended up buying a total of 6 dozen, cause they're so darned useful. I love all the pretty ones that you can buy these days, but practicality reigns supreme in this household, and items must be multi taskers to justify a purchase. (anyone else love Alton Brown? LOL) I use the cloths for EVERYTHING, wiping bums, cleaning faces and hands, anything!

As far as solution goes, I don't have a specific recipe, I just kind of throw it all together. I use my peri bottle and put some Dr. Bronner's Lavendar soap in it, with some Burt's Bees Apricot oil, some tea tree oil, some aloe vera, some calendula oil, oh, anything that strikes my fancy. It all gets shaken up in the peri bottle and stored as my "baby butt cleaner base". We literally label it BBCB. Then, we have a spray bottle, the kind you buy for cleaning, and we fill it with water and add a few squirts of BBCB to the water. I have found that if you add the BBCB first, it gets all bubbly and is hard to fill, but if you add the water first, and THEN the BBCB, you can fill the bottle completely. I keep a few bottles of this premixed in various locations around the house with wash cloths. It's very diluted, and smells very fresh and clean. Whenever we have a mess to clean up, I just spray a wash cloth and wipe away. For really goopy baby poopies, I've even been known to spray my DD's bottom directly, which always made her giggle. She's been potty trained since she was 1 1/2 now, so it's hard to remember, but she never minded the room temperature wipes.

I'm curious to hear what your recipe is Cheryl. I'm a mad scientist type of cook, so I hate following recipes. That seems to be the rule for just about anything with me. LOL.

We must all be very busy this weekend, cause we're slower the past couple of days. I'm looking for posts, and there just hasn't been much. Wonder if anyone's having babies?

Glad you're doing so well, Kimberly, but I must agree with everyone else, take it easy! No outlet shopping for you, just yet! Yikes! I remember after my DD was born, I just felt so much better than I'd felt when I was pregnant, that even despite having been through a cesarean section, I was unstoppable. This time I have every intention of taking it much slower. Enjoy it! You only get a baby moon a few times in your life!

And, I'm not cleaning like crazy, but I'm slowly getting through all the baby stuff we have. We went crazy shopping at Target yesterday, but mostly just got stuff for the house. We bought another phone, so I'm returning the first one we got at Sam's Club. And, we bought a mini bounce house for my daughter's third birthday. It felt so frivolous to purchase it, but I'm just so excited to give it to her! She's going to be ecstatic! I've already got her party mostly planned out, so it should be pretty easy. Her birthday's September 7, and we're having a party on September 11, the day before my MIL goes home so she can help out a lot. Haven't decided on food yet, but we're going to have super fun activities. Mega bubble wands outside, the mini bounce house, our little swimming pool (8ft, but only 2 feet deep), hula hoops, all sorts of fun stuff. Maybe even a finger painting station. The kids should have a blast! I don't want this year to be the year that she didn't have a cool birthday party, so I'm trying to get it all planned in advance. And, with summer stuff going on clearance now, even though I'm in Florida and summer won't be over until December, I'm stocking up on supplies.

Hope all is well with everyone!
#136 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 04:46 PM

Diaper Wipe Recipe

In an empty jar or bottle mix...

2 cups distilled water
1 1/2 TBS Calenula Oil
1 1/2 TBS Baby Oil (use 3 TBS if omitting Calendula Oil)
2 drops Lavender Essential Oil
2 drops Chamomile Extract

Shake to mix solution and pour over wipes (flannel or soft paper) until they are moist.

Store leftover mix in refrigerator until next use.

If using flannel wipes, wash used wipes along with your diapers.

I have also heard of using a little tea tree oil and omitting the Chamomile Extract. And one mom got a huge box of super soft paper squares from a local mill. It is the end of the roll stuff that they sell super duper cheap. I think she paid $30 for a box and had only used about 1/4 of it (maybe) when her baby was 11 months old!!

Cheryl

#137 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 04:51 PM

Cheryl, let me advise you against using baby oil. It's not something you want in your house under any circumstances. It's very easy for a curious baby to get their hands on it, open the bottle and then aspirate it. There have been a lot of warnings about it, even in mainstream media. Once it gets in their lungs, it's virtually impossible to remove, and babies slowly suffocate. Horrible stuff really. I've heard you should be very careful about any oil you keep in your home, and make sure they're very out of reach, behind locked doors if possible. but, even having that small amount in a bottle where baby could get at it would make me extremely nervous.
#138 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 04:56 PM

Here's what I found about baby oil. I didn't realize this applied to a whole bunch of other things. I'm going to have to dig around my house now. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recal...rocarbons.html
#139 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 05:20 PM

Caroline, I had *no* idea about the baby oil and other oil based products. It makes so much sense once you think about it, but its not one of those things that you actually DO think about. Thanks for the info, I've told dh and we're going to make some storage changes.

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
#140 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 05:45 PM

Wow thanks! I don't want to do any harm!!! Is Calendula Oil okay?

Cheryl

#141 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 06:16 PM

Hi everyone -

Yesterday, I wanted to clean up the living room because I hadn't done that in about a month (since DH stopped working). Anyway, DS started crying about it, which he always does because he hates me picking up his toys. But since DH was home, he started fussing also. I ended up never cleaning it up yesterday. So, today, we almost did the same thing again today. I told DH that I just wanted them to go to the beach so I could get it cleaned. They went with DH being unhappy with me and I rearranged and cleaned the living room. Since I had to unpack the armoir, computer table, etc. to move it, it took about 5.5 hours. But the living room looks so much better. There was so much sand on the floor and rugs before. But trying to do things like that with DH home is just so difficult. I really envy those of you who have family who helps with cleaning. Well, I would just settle for not having resistance to
cleaning.

I didn't know about the oils either. I need to move some of my oils then. It would take a while for this baby to be able to get into them, but DS could get into them now. Frightening.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#142 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 08:48 PM

Madrone: How ANNOYING!!! I don't know how you tolerate that!!! My dh does dishes and vacuuming and mopping. I do bathrooms, laundry, and cooking. I can't IMAGINE doing it all! Yuck!

s
#143 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 10:18 PM

Kimberly - it just clicked that Amelia and Katie have the same birthday.

The baby oil thing was on Oprah one day.

Since I was so sick with pg right after we got married Dh got into the routine of bathrooms, dishes, vacuuming the steps, carrying the laundry up/down and cat litter plus anything outside. It's a pretty good deal I have. Wonder what will happen if not pg for a while - I'm not into renegotiation!

Hey - speaking of not being pg...anyone ever used the Mirena IUD. I really need a break and so far condoms and NFP are no good. Won't do the minipill. IUD or abstinence (abstinence sounds great) are the best options. I can't agree to a vasectomy because I just don't feel like at 28 I can say I don't want to have anymore kids.
#144 of 145 Old 07-25-2004, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

I started a new thread here

I almost missed your post, Ketilave. I will go add birth control to the list of ongoing subjects.
#145 of 145 Old 07-26-2004, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketilave
Won't do the minipill. IUD or abstinence (abstinence sounds great) are the best options. I can't agree to a vasectomy because I just don't feel like at 28 I can say I don't want to have anymore kids.

LMAO abstinence sounds pretty damn good to me now too LOL.

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page