**DONE** Last Week of July -- August Mamas Chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 156 Old 07-27-2004, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I did it. I fired my ob today. Here's the story behind it all:

Starting last Friday I wasn't feeling the baby move. I mean not at all. No matter how much I ate, layed still, nothing. So I called the midwife, and went to her house. She listened on her doppler, and baby sounded just fine. Reactive, strong heartbeat. SO that made me feel a little better. then, on Saturday, no movement. I went back to her house, we listened, and same thing; lots of great heartbeats. She sent me home with her doppler, and encouraged me to listen whenever I needed to. Come Sunday, I'm still not feeling any movement. I called my ob's office, and spoke with the nurse. She sent me to the L&D unit at the hospital. This was around midnight. SO I went down there by myself, since dh had to work then next day and my kidlets were already asleep. The triage nurse put me on the fetal monitor, with the dilly that you mash on when you feel the baby kick. I didn't feel a damn thing. But, the monitor was picking up tons of movement, reactive heartbeats, and contractions every 3 mins. Funny, I wasn't feeling any of it. So after an hour of that, the triage nurse called my ob's nurse and they said well alrighty, you're fine, go on home. This really made me feel funny b/c i was expecting an u/s to check whethere the baby was clutching her cord, whether it was wrapped around her a few times, etc. But no, just go on home. SO I went home, and slept fitfully still.
Monday comes, and still no moving. I had an appt with my midwife for 4 pm. When she got her, we listened to baby, and decided that i should call the ob's office and see if I could get in to have an u/s. I called, and this is exactly what the nurse said: Terri we closed at 4..........i can't bring you in for an exam. go eat a big meal and lay down. you'll be fine" WTF!!!! My midwife and I just looked at each other in total disbelief. Now this is my 4th kid, and am not a psycho worrier. But I have to admit i was MIGHTY PISSED at this point. So, midwife and i talked it over, and decided that i was never going back to the ob, and that from here on out i was putting all my trust in her and her ability to take care of us. And wouldn't you know it, baby kicked.
So today I called the ob's office, cancelled the appt that i had for tomorrow, and left a message on the nurse's voice mail saying" I won't be coming back to your office because of the lack of caring and compassion shown to me." period. Baby has been doing gymnastics in my tummy ever since, and my birth kit arrived today from the supplier. It's a good day everyone!!

PS I am 50% effaced and only 1 cm dialated. I think we'll go the whole 40 weeks this time.

thanks for reading this far..........i have to take a bunch of packages to the post office now.

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
#62 of 156 Old 07-27-2004, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena_girl
DH and I have talked often about how much nicer and easier it would be to have the baby at home. He hates hospitals so he has no problem with it. I am just chicken about the possibility of something going wrong with no "professional" there to help us, since a homebirth w/ a midwife wasn't an option. Magemom and Madrone (and anyone else thinking UC) do you have any plans in case of emergency?
Lena, The problems my children have had in the past at birth/right before/after were directly related to what people in the hospital did. DH and I have read books and really picked apart problems and what ifs... and what we would do. My doc is working with DH just in case we don't make it, working on the fast labor assumption. The fire dept is at the end of our street, there is a hospital around the corner and I have been seeing an OB so if I am not comfortable, I will head in like I had never thought to stay home. Last time I had too much blood loss for my comfort so I went in. I had never bled during labor before. That was so far my favorite labor/delivery because DH told the doc if she didn't agree to my birth plan I would stay home and not even tell him I was in labor. I really wish she was still delivering babies. DH wanted to ask her to make an exception and deliver at our home. I would have done that.
DH is less happy about the UC than he lets on, but is looking forward to catching his baby. That alone may keep us home if my doc isn't on call.
#63 of 156 Old 07-27-2004, 09:37 PM

It sounds like everyone is getting good news! Congratulations on vbacing, insurance, ob and midwife appointments, baby kicking, and good days.

Ketilave, you made me laugh literally when I read the thing about yelling so loud you made your 2yo pee his pants. Ha!

I had an awsome ob appointment yesterday. I usually don't have any questions so I'm in and out. Yesterday I had at least 15 that were very broad and open ended and he thoughtfully and slowly answered each one with promising answers. Because my hospital is very "lawsuit-abuse-skiddish" they are very conservative with what they allow in childbirth. I knew this ahead of time but I"m going to make the best of it. I had a lot of questions about what I'm allowed to do and whats not. It turns out squatting during the pushing stage and bouncing on a birth ball during labor are A OK with him and other people have done it in the past. That's good news. He also says that episiotomies are not routine because "if we cut it, we have to stitch it, so we don't like to make extra work for ourselves if it isn't neccessary" That makes sense and it made me laugh. I didn't have one last time either, but every single other person I know that has delivered at this hospital has.
I also got to express how strongly I want to avoid a c section. I asked him to tell me things that in his opinion would help me avoid it. I th ought that was a good way to passively let him know my feelings about it and that I want to avoid it without preaching to him. He said some good things, but basically it is a case by case thing. He felt around to tell me where the baby was laying. He used his fingers to feel the head and I could feel it in me. That was amazing. He did this once before too about 2 months ago. The head is definently bigger this time. It was a little scarey. That big thing has to come out of me! I'm getting prepared mentally now. We're so close, yet so far away!!!

I wonder where Laurie is. Having a baby?

Christine
#64 of 156 Old 07-27-2004, 09:37 PM

Umm, ladies, I was sitting here reading the birth story posted on the UC thread that Madrone mentioned earlier, and suddenly a little gush! My waters broken. Lots of gush gush gushes! Now I have to clean my house really quick! I mean, DH needs to clean the house really quick. LOL, I'll let you know later tonight what's going on or later if it goes quickly.
#65 of 156 Old 07-27-2004, 09:38 PM

mommycaroline, i'm so glad to hear your vbac plans are going great and that your OB was supportive!

lena, woohoo on the insurance taking care of the house mess. it'd be lovely to have taken care of before baby arrives, but hope it gets taken care of properly regardless!

terri - i'm tickled that you fired your OB, i can't imagine having a care-provider that didn't "care" about you lol...glad baby is moving around again too!

yes, naturegirl/cheryl, my edd is 8/21! i have no clue if i'll make it that far w/ what's been going on the last two days, but we'll see! only God knows and i sure trust his judgement on baby's arrival more than i do mine or the dr's! dr L didn't seem to think i'd make it to my appt next wk (the 4th) but he said that the last three wks of shelby's pg an i kept making it! lol
#66 of 156 Old 07-27-2004, 10:23 PM

No way Lena....cool! Good Luck.....wow! Is this getting exciting or what you guys?

Terri..So sorry you had such an experience over the weekend. Good for you for canning the ding dongs for their lack of compassion...

Cheryl congrats on the GBS negative!

Christine glad your appt was a good one!

Dodo glad you are better

wow!!

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#67 of 156 Old 07-27-2004, 10:28 PM

Lena, guess this means the house repairs won't be done before the baby gets here! (2 y/o wanted to help with smilies)

How wonderful that it is covered and PLV for you!!
#68 of 156 Old 07-27-2004, 10:36 PM

Lena! How exciting! I hope your water broke on the carpeting you're having replaced. Glad your insurance company is coming through for you, but sorry they won't beat your baby!

Easy labor vibes! And, I can't wait to hear your story!

Thanks everyone for the support. You guys are the best!
#69 of 156 Old 07-27-2004, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena_girl
Umm, ladies, I was sitting here reading the birth story posted on the UC thread that Madrone mentioned earlier, and suddenly a little gush! My waters broken. Lots of gush gush gushes! Now I have to clean my house really quick! I mean, DH needs to clean the house really quick. LOL, I'll let you know later tonight what's going on or later if it goes quickly.
WOW!!! Too cool! I look forward to reading an update from you!

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#70 of 156 Old 07-27-2004, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Yay, Lena! I'll light a candle for you.

I was wondering the same about Laurie. Such an interesting day online and yet not a peep...

Terri, what I find most striking and heroic about your story is that you went to the hospital in the middle of the night alone. You could have rec'd devastating news! I'm so glad that you didn't.
#71 of 156 Old 07-27-2004, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

OK, my candle's lit. Let the contractions begin.
#72 of 156 Old 07-27-2004, 11:00 PM

Oh Terri! I'm sorry you had that experience. Sounds like you left a much more polite message than I would have. What a jerk! My midwives would never say something like that to me. Thank goodness you had the option to dump them. *hugs*

Lena~ Yay for breaking waters! We're all eyeing you enviously. Sending you vibes for an excellent birth.

~Daednu
#73 of 156 Old 07-27-2004, 11:01 PM

:
Yeah that is right Dodo ...where is Laurie....hhmmmm

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#74 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 12:09 AM

Lena ~ Sending you beautiful birthing vibes! I cant wait to read your story!!
#75 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 12:25 AM

Hi Ladies!
It's been a few days for me, and honestly, I can't keep up. So much going on with all of us, must be all this waitin' we're doing...

LENA-BEST, BEST, BEST labor vibes to you!!! And BTW, DH and I have wondered if the house will get clean before the birth of this babe. Last time, we sort of hung around the house and cleaned, did laundry, etc.

Girl-Congrats on firing the OB. Sounds like it was all very scary and not the optimal situation, of course. But I'm always happy to hear when someone follows thru on their gut feeling. And this wasn't even a GUT feeling, this sounds a but negligent in my book.

Ketilave- I don't know how you're doing it, but just keep hanging in. If it's any consolation (although I know it's all relatve) I have one 2.5 yo and many days HE ALONE can put me over the edge. Please go easy on yourself and take care of yourself.

Great news, Caroline, on the VBAC!

Hey, Where IS LAURIE??? Could she be in laborland?????

Okay, I'm missing a bunch of you, but I've read all the posts and can barely keep my eyes open.

Still nesting quite a bit. I still have a bag to pack, and more laundry to do. A few small things left to purchase, but they could wait if they had to.
I just wish someone would TELL me when this babe is coming. But then again, that would take some of the fun out of it. At least I'd know my house would be clean, though...

My feet are OUTRAGEOUSLY swollen tonight. Did some running around in the morning, but not much in the afternoon, so I don't know what the deal is. I'm feeling some more cramping-not quite contractions, though. And last night and the night before it seemed that the babe literally moved his/her whole body all night long. Woke up this morning and it seems like I've "dropped"-although someone here said that this wasn't necessarily a sign of going into labor with a 2nd child. Ready to have my body back, but like AP said, if this is our last, I will miss these swollen feet and these private moments with this babe in utero.

Next appointmen on Thursday morning. I'll be 39 weeks then. WHOOO-HOOO!!!! Sleep well, ladies. I'll be thinking of you all...
#76 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 01:17 AM

mastitis. owwwwwwwwww. nak

fell asleep and rolledonto my breast.... always gives me mastitis

ugh
#77 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 01:42 AM

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay lena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think laurie tooooooooooooooooo

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay babies
#78 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlylibby
mastitis. owwwwwwwwww. nak

fell asleep and rolledonto my breast.... always gives me mastitis

ugh
Oh honey OW!!!! Cabbage leaves and the dreaded antibiotics for you I'm so sorry

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
#79 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 02:28 AM

Lena!! WOOHOOOO!!!! Happy and painless labor vibes headed your way sweetheart! :

#80 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 03:02 AM

Still can't sleep, fever is breaking though.

Wow, that came on fast. I was FINE at 7, watching tv with dh and during Big Brother (trash) at 8 I said "I don't feel good!" and then by the Amazing Race at 9, I got nauseated, dizzy, noticed a big red streaky lump in my breast and my temp was 100. By 10 it was 103!! And I had taken Motrin and Lortab at 8 because I felt icky!!! That's an insane amount of fever reducer!

Dh ran out to the 24 hour pharmacy and I got my drugs at 12:00.

I hope that they kick in fast!

I took a hot hot hot shower and pumped for a long time and nursed and nursed... is anyone else hyper susceptible to mastitis? I have to be SO careful, I get plugged ducts like mad. It's this crazy oversupply syndrome... I used to pump 60-80 oz a day when I was EP'ing for Libby.

Well, I'm feeling chatty, that's a good sign that the Lortab is working I took it again at 12. I was totally weaned off the stuff on Saturday but thankful I have some left!!

THinking of Laurie and Lena!! I think both of them will have babies today!!

Kimberly
#81 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 08:44 AM

Ahhh Kimberly..ouchie....never had mastitis...thrush, yes for 2 months but not mastitis..hope you are feeling better this morning......

Just checking to see if we have any babies this morning!

Free To Be~
Traci
~John Holt 

#82 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 08:46 AM

Woohoooooo Lena!
And Kimberly, hope you're doing better this morning. What a drag. Do you think you'll ultimately have to do a round of antibiotics to kick it? Terri, what did you mean by cabbage leaves?

And where is Laurie? And Terri, the health-care world would operate much smoother in some ways if we all took the time to do what you did.

I'm up super-early this a.m. So much to think about and I feel all charged up with strange, squirrely energy. I can barely sit still. After a few days of not being able to really wake up, this is a big change. Finally.

DH took DD out and about yesterday pm while I took a long walk with the neighbor kids and the dog. DH returned with a new computer! Seeing as how we already had replaced everything except the motherboard, the hard drive and the keyboard on our old machine, everything he brought back from the store fit in one box and wasn't too nastily expensive. And oh, my old machine made it's last clicks, weirdo death noises and flashing lights right after I posted to you all yesterday.

And Bears, you are right, the waiting is hard. It eats at your nerves.

Have a good day, ladies. Sending strong woman vibes to all of you..............

-Leah
#83 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 09:16 AM

We haven't heard from Katje either have we?

Can't wait to hear about new babies! My kids are so little and yet newbies are so tiny and you forget so quickly. Who is still nursing? Amelia has been nursing for longer periods and it is creating some serious cramping - my uterus isn't ready for it - I can tell my the way the cramping feels (if you've ever been on pit with an unripe uterus you KNOW) so I am kind of iffy about the long nursing stretches. Any input?

Tiff - you guys sound like you have found your peace. This baby may come soon. Dh is cool with UC - he just didn't want to plan it for 9 months. If I have the baby this week HAHA it's highly possible because mw's clients are all out of whack and she has a bunch expecting this week must be the moon. If they all go this week, next week is all about me. I love my mw though - she's like a mentor to me.
#84 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 09:31 AM

Hey guys, I could use your thoughts and prayers. I am at 12 hours post water breaking and still no good labor going. I am having good strong contractions when I am outside walking, but I can't keep walking all day. I don't know if I'm making progress and just not feeling all the contractions and such, or if my body just isn't kicking in. I'm worried I might end up on pitocin if it doesn't pick up. Well anyway, I'd appreciate any advice too.
#85 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 09:42 AM

Lena, big (((HUGS))). You must be stressing right about now. Have you called your midwife/OB yet? Hope not, cause that's when the clock starts ticking. In the meantime, there are some herbal remedies you can try. The cohoshes (Black and/or blue), pennyroyal, feverfew, are all known to help start labor. I don't know doses, though, but can look them up for you if you think you can get some. Castor oil is supposed to help too, but yuck a roo!

Try to relax, get some sleep while you can. Your body may be gearing up for labor, and you just need to rest? Good luck! And, keep us posted!

And, Kimberly, yikes! Mastitis already? Ouchies! Hope you kick it quickly.

Just got back from my first NST. All is well. Baby was active from the start so it went pretty quickly. The nurse was super nice, and as it turns out, we go to the same mass. I'll have to watch for her next Sunday. I have to go every week until the baby is born. Yawn! I scheduled it for 7:00 am so I don't have to bring my daughter, she'll stay with Daddy until he goes to work. Hard to be up that early, that's for sure!
#86 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 10:29 AM

Checking in, too, about our babies...

Lena-You MUST be stressed. I know I may be a little conservative on this front, but 12 hours post water breaking would get me started thinking about calling the OB/MW (I know not everyone agrees with this). Please just do what you think is right for you and your babe. Believe me, I had Pit with #1 and it is a horrible thing. It was not pretty and I am hoping to avoid it at all costs, too. Just let us know how you're doing, sweetie-Hang in there!

Kimberly-I never had mastitis, but b/c DS was a winter baby, I had lots of plugged ducts. I always hopped in the shower and pressed with a wash cloth on the sore, plugged spot and then I had DS nurse on that breast the longest-even if it was sore. Always helped.

Hey, I'm still nursing DS (2.5) and I've been realizing that I only now nurse on one side. I think I've been doing this for about 6 months now. I'm going to have to get used to nursing on both sides again with that little baby mouth! :

and to all you mamas. Thinkikng of all of you (us) today!!!!!
#87 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 10:40 AM

Lena - are your waters still clear. If so you are doing fine. Just make sure you keep feeling the baby move. Go with what you feel comfortable with - all I can tell you since none of us are there with you is go with your gut. I will pm you.
#88 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 10:54 AM

oh lena honey, i'm tickled for you! i hope your contrax's will pick up soon though! have you alerted your mw/ob yet? i think i'd try some nipple stimulation and an enema maybe? both have thrown me into labor before when i just needed a nudge after my water breaking! <hugs> and many prayers for a safe delivery
#89 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 10:58 AM

I am a little over 35 weeks along now - really getting down to the
wire now. We had a test-run with our birthing pool last night.
That thing is going to be AWESOME !!!

We inflated it - didn't take long once we started using the proper
attachment to do that, then had a girlfriend of mine come over with
her water-bed hook-up kit, and show us how to use that to fill it,
and to drain it. It took about 20-25 minutes to fill it, but that
was with a few kinks along the way, but a long time to drain it -
maybe an hour ?

The pool is about 23" deep at the top, and is wide enough that if
I'm sitting up straight, my butt is touching one side and my heels
just touching the other side. Our son liked the fish decorations on
the side of it.

I really am starting to feel like this is coming together for us
now. I feel good physically, and am confident mentally as well

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#90 of 156 Old 07-28-2004, 11:15 AM

Oh Lena s I hope it all kicks in soon! I'd think the herbs are waaaaay nicer than pit. Any chance you can get your hands on some??

Terri: Way to go firing your ob! Sounds like an excellent choice.

Nevermind, I'm going back to bed. I didn't fall asleep till 4 a.m. last night from the pain meds... I don't know why they keep me up?? Drives me nuts. Gotta pump and go back to bed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page