May be leaking fluid...wwyd? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-26-2004, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK all you natural birthin' mamas, I have an issue. I think I am leaking some amniotic fluid...noticed something yesterday slouching on a beach chair...felt a little extra wet all day...nothing all night, but I slept with a pillow under my side so my butt was kinda elevated...and then this morning more leakage stuff when relaxing on the couch. Is NOT urine (did the sniff test). I feel crampy as well, but no real ctrx as far as i can tell.
With my DS my water broke with a gush and labour started right away - at 40w4days. I am 35w1day. I have a doc appt today.
If I am leaking fluid at this time, are they going to give me a c-sec? i don't wanna! I guess I have to tell her, right? She's doing a GBS test today anyways...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-26-2004, 10:59 AM

You can decline an exam- I would. That only increases your chance of infection. I would think they would induce over immediate csection.
If you don't want to say anything, don't. I am extreamly moist right now and it is not amniotic fluid. Amniotic fluid is replaced as it is lost if you keep hydrated.
Let us know what you decide.
#3 of 14 Old 07-26-2004, 01:26 PM

they would induce, not c/s

sorry nak

i would have them test personally.. but that is because my sister had really awful chorioamnioitis? i dont know the name, but it was awful and she had to have a d and c a week after delivery

jmo
kimberly
#4 of 14 Old 07-26-2004, 01:35 PM

You could just have them test the fluid. They would do it off of your undies. FWIW I have lots of very watery discharge. I'm constantly thinking my water is leaking.
#5 of 14 Old 07-26-2004, 03:11 PM

No matter whether it is amniotic fluid or not, a wise woman midwife would wait. If it is amniotic fluid, then it's a very small leak. Just being extra careful with hygene would be enough (wash with water after using the toilet instead of toilet paper). Susan Weed does say to encourage it to reseal by laying down for the next 48 hours and drinking nettle, comfrey, or violet leaf tea. Also, take vitamin C and E and echinacea to help prevent infection. I wouldn't tell your provider if she's an OB. An OB would probably test it and then induce if it's fluid. To me, 35 weeks is just too early to induce. The date could easily be off by a week or so and I wouldn't want a 34 weeker.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#6 of 14 Old 07-26-2004, 03:25 PM

If it were me (as a pregnant woman), I would probably mention it but decline an exam or offer to induce, and I'd religiously monitor my temp at home and do some nipple stim or something to get ctx going.

If I were your doula, I would recommend that you be honest with your doctor.. but to figure out what YOU want to do before you go in so you're prepared.

Good luck!

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#7 of 14 Old 07-26-2004, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone
An OB would probably test it and then induce if it's fluid. To me, 35 weeks is just too early to induce. The date could easily be off by a week or so and I wouldn't want a 34 weeker.
Somehow I missed the 35 weeks part... I would definitely tell my care provider but would pursue techniques to reseal the bag, do some bed rest, stay WELL hydrated and *keep hands out of your vagina*.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#8 of 14 Old 07-26-2004, 05:38 PM

What about infection though? My sister's water broke at 33 1/2 weeks. She went to the hospital 24 hours later and hadn't touched it at ALL. She never messed with it. By the time she showed up at the hospital she was already infected.

I am not trying to scare you AT ALL.... but her infection was awful and really ruined her pp time, because she had to be away from her baby for a few nights (I kept her itty bitty daughter).

Kimberly
#9 of 14 Old 07-26-2004, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm back!
I did tell my Dr. what had happened, and she said let's do some testing to be sure we weren't going to have any problems. I consented because I was getting tired out and worried...I took a dip in the lake yesterday when I was trying to tell myself it was nothing (which was really dumb, considering) and I didn't want any risk of infection. They did a Non stress test (which wasn't really necessary, IMO, but it's really uninvasive so I didn't care) and did a sterile speculum (I think that's what it's called) test, and it came back neg for amniotic fluid. Dr. says it might have been a leak high up that will reseal itself. No worries and no crazy stuff!!
Thanks so much for the advice mamas. I was really freaked this morning, thinking that i *could* be having the baby today (not quite ready for that, ykwim??)
I really appreciate all the support!
I'll be putting my feet up for the next day or so, just to be sure. thank you!
#10 of 14 Old 07-26-2004, 05:57 PM

Whew! I'm so glad you got checked. I am sorry I was a party pooper above.... I'm glad all is okay
#11 of 14 Old 07-26-2004, 07:26 PM

Glad everything worked out!
#12 of 14 Old 07-27-2004, 12:07 AM

i see i'm here a little late in the discussion, but i thought i'd throw this out anyway...

you actually have two "bags": a chorion and an amnion. you can rupture the first without the second, and have a little leakage that quits after a while.

you still have to be aware of your temperature, and careful what you put "up there" (well, you should be anyway!).

glad to hear it's just random moisture! i almost thought i'd burst my bag, too, the other night... it was just sweat, but i was dripping gallons!

take care and hope the rest of your pregnancy is calm and uneventful...

katje
#13 of 14 Old 07-27-2004, 01:08 AM
Banned

Wow, same exact thing happened to me today... I'm 35 weeks and 2 days!!!

I spent a few hours in the birthing center on the fetal monitor and having my fluids tested. It was the same scenario; it turned out to be either nothing or a leak that was already repairing itself. I'm glad I went in, even though I detest those speculum exams. I've been having a little cramping for a few days, too, and my imagination would have gotten the best of me if i hadn't gone in.
Kimberly, I'm with you. I just wouldn't risk an infection.
#14 of 14 Old 07-27-2004, 09:43 AM

Mealy and Christina glad you both and babies are fine....sounds scary to me too....

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page