Would you take anything for a cold? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-29-2004, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mama's,

I'm due in 3 weeks exactly, and I have no idea how I got such a cold in July!! Anyways, here I am, can't sleep, all congested. Asked my midwife who said zinc tablets are fine as are anti-histimines. From what I've read zinc is more helpful before hand....so I was wondering....has this happened to any of you, and if so what did you/would you take for it?
#2 of 6 Old 07-29-2004, 03:49 PM

sudiffed, i'm lucky and can take this and sleep well with it some people cant... my dr said i can take robisusin MD also good luck!
#3 of 6 Old 07-29-2004, 03:49 PM

There was a discussion on this on the chat thread because someone got a summer cold. Since signs were saying her baby could come immediately, the consensus was for her to take something. Because you don't want to go into labor worn out already from a cold. Summer colds are the worst. Taking vitamin C and Zinc will help strengthen your immunce system to fight it off quicker. But it won't help with the crappy feeling and won't help you sleep.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#4 of 6 Old 07-29-2004, 11:30 PM

My OB says Benadryl and the pharmacist I spoke with concurred. Robistussin too works. Interestingly, the pharmacist says it's a different matter with Benadryl when you are nursing, though, because it passes so easily thru milk vs thru your body to the placenta. I'm not one to usually medicate, even when not pregnant, but sure am glad I took something for the cold I got last week. So much snot, I couldn't sleep. I took Benadryl. Usually it loops me out a bit, but this time it just made me feel so much better. Dr. Sears mentions that we get more mucousy in pregnancy................maybe that's why we're prone to colds at the very end? Hope you feel better!
#5 of 6 Old 07-29-2004, 11:41 PM

You can alos take a half dose of Benedryl if you are concerned. Earlier in my pregnancy I was having horrible problems with my eczema and some days one Benedryl was all that was keeping me from stepping into insanity.
#6 of 6 Old 07-29-2004, 11:46 PM

No meds for me. I get adjusted by my chiropractor! Research shows it maximizes your immune response and can boost it by more than 80%. It kicks those nasty's right out

Cheryl

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page