**DONE** August 3 (for lack of a better title) Chat Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 176 Old 08-03-2004, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, by my browser's reckoning, we surpassed eight pages with the last chat thread, where we were discussing

-Cheryl's brand new baby boy (Congratulations! Your announcement took me by surprise. I love to hear about first births!)
-mamas in waiting, especially the overdue, hoping to avoid induction and other interventions
#2 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 12:20 AM

Ooops! I just typed up a post while I was waiting for my computer to dial up. So, I'll repost it here.

So, how do you know "real" contractions from BH's? Hmmm? I've been having different sorts of contractions for the past week or so, most of them I would characterize as BH's, but some of them start down low and build up, feeling kind of menstrually. That's what I've been considering a "real" contraction. But, how do you really know? Tonight, I'm having those pretty regularly, but they're not painful at all, just crampy and uncomfortable. Plus, I have some back achey-ness associated with them. I just watched the clock and I had 3 in 10 minutes. I'm fairly certain I'm not in labor, and have no intention of doing anything about it until I'm much more certain. How do you make the decision to call someone, though. I mean, does it really just "come to you" to call?

Okay, I'm going to catch up on posts now, and possibly post again. Just thinking about this and had to see what other people are doing.

And, now the new stuff, Laurie, what a great birth story! I also love the part about your daughter getting in the tub with you. I have fantasies about my DD being there with us, but we don't have any family members to hang out with us while I'm laboring. And, I'm afraid if it starts to get intense, there won't be anyone to take her somewhere to calm down but my DH and I *need* him there with me. Did you find her a calming influence overall? How did she handle the grunting and moaning parts? Did you ever find yourself screaming? My DD gets so upset at the thought of that, I'm starting to think she should stay home. I don't know. I really want her to be there though, when the baby is born, at least immediately after. It somehow feels wrong to not have her with us as our new family unit is created. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on that.
#3 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycaroline
So, how do you know "real" contractions from BH's? Hmmm?
When I can't talk through them, they are real. Involving the back is another indicator. I feel like I have had a half dozen 'real ones' in the past month, but most are BH and I ignore them.
#4 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 06:38 AM

Oops, just posted this to the old thread.

Oh don't you just *love* these sleepless nights. Up since 4am, can't nod back off, thought I'd wander over here to cyberspace and see if anyone else had had their baby.

Caroline, I was wondering the same thing myself, about being able to tell real ones!! Yesterday, all evening I felt like I had one looonnng BH - for a couple of hours, everything just felt so hard and tight. Not painful exactly, just very intense and uncomfy. Finally fell asleep and woke up this morning with the same tightness. Oh well, I'll ask my mw about it at my appt later today and see what she says.

Hope all of you mama's are resting well and that someone is getting some sleep!
#5 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 09:26 AM

After a long battle with alzheimers and the past month of failing health, I just found out my grandmother passed away this morning . It was expected to happen so I have been able to process it for a little while. I am suddenly grateful the baby isn't wanting to come so I can be with family and be able to attend her funeral, which is something I was concerned about. I'll probably be MIA for a little while.

Hopefully I'll come back to happy news here and I'm sending peaceful birthing vibes to all who need it.
#6 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 10:14 AM

Carla - thoughts and prayers with your family right now. I know there are so many emotions right now.

About ctx - I agree when you can't do life through them - they are something.

Laurie - need to go read your birth story so I will drool all over you guys later.

EDD#3 out the window!!! I sent out a leave me alone email yesterday night.

I had more to say but my brain is quite dry at the moment. But, at least for the moment, I am in a D*** good mood.

OH - I told DH about all the prostiglandin talk going on here and he looked at me like I was crazy. The closest we get to sex is a kiss in bed before I pass out at night.
#7 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 10:41 AM

: mammas!

Yep, still here...no baby....preparing for tomorrow's appt.

Caroline...Isn't it funny I have been having the same issues as far as these teaser BH's go....I had the same major menstrual cramping last night(and I have also had the mini back labor episode) and was so close to calling dh home from work b/c I though they were going to lead to the labor....but they fizzled out and never were joined by any timable contrax, so I am just chalking it up to the EPO doing it's work of ripening my cervix. Poor dh is just going crazy too along with me with this pre-labor stuff.

K8..hang in there...today is a new day even though you are passing another EDD I am sending you baby come soon vibes You are obviously a great in-utero mamma that your babies want to stay so long inside.....they love the care/love they are getting in there from you! Kinda like a chance for them to have you all to themselves before they come out and join their siblings.....

Oh Carla..I am so sorry for your loss.....please come back to us when you can.....

Well, nothing big planned today...ds and I just got back from our walk and we have been up since 6:30.
Weather does not look to promising so I guess I won't go freak out any more mammas at the public pool today...:LOL

check back later....

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#8 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 11:19 AM

Carla ((((hugs)))) I'm so sorry for your loss!

Katie's cord fell off last night!! I changed her dipe at like 3 a.m. and it fell off!!! YAY!!!!

I'm off to LLL
#9 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 12:00 PM

The real vs. bh contractions question is a burning one with me too. The other night I mentioned before that they were so different and painful that I thought they were real. I would also venture to say that if those had continued I couldn't have done "life" during them. But they stopped. : I keep having these fears that I was really in labor but when I got so excited my emotions over rode my body's natural labor vibes. So now I've missed the window and will never go into labor again! crazy thought.

I didn't sleep well last night at all. But today is the day we had scheduled for ds to go to his grandparent's house for the day so I got to sleep in! It is the first morning that I didn't watch Barney in months. I'm going to go get showered and ready for my dr. apt.

Does anyone else really get worried about what their feet look like to the doctor/miwife? Sometimes I get on these kicks that I am afraid he'll glance at my non-pedicured since-the-last-time-I-could-reach-that-far-feet and notice. Or I'm afraid my water will break having not showered lately and be all sweaty and smelly. Oh goodness. Am I just too vain or what.
#10 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 12:14 PM

hi! just thought I'd introduce myself- looks like my july baby will be an august babe after all.
due July 28th with a boy...a planned homebirth. I was stressing about having him before all of my inlaws arrived but seeing as I'm picking them up from the airport in an hour, I have accepted that I'll have an audience
(MIL called last night to ask DH why we just can't go to the hospital),
I've stopped trying to *naturally* get labor started, he's just not ready I spose. I was 5 cm dialated and 80% effaced at my last check. Contractions daily, but nothing stays regular.
sometimes they are 5 minutes apart and last over a minute, but then after an hour or so they go away
we'll see what the midwife says, i see her at 3

my overdue belly
(notice the belly button)

~mama to some wonderful kids
#11 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 12:20 PM

oh carla, i'm so sorry...my prayers of peace and comfort go out to your family as you mourn...we're in the same situation w/ dh's grandmother (92yrs) having alzheimers and the waiting...

congrats on the boy cheryl! our first - too cool!

i've got an appt this afternoon, dh (teacher) started back to work monday and can't take off this week so i've got to go by myself w/ both kids...it's about an hr and fifteen minutes drive either way - i'm a li'l nervous this time! my office staff freaks out everytime i drive myself when i'm this far along lol! am i nuts going alone? depending on dates i'm due somewhere btwn 8/8 and 8/21, though we've gone w/ the later date all along to deter an unnecessary induction postdates if needs be yk?

as for differentiating btwn BH's and the real things - i've always known they're real when it's not just my belly tightening...the real ones wrap around to the back and make me have to concentrate a bit more inwardly if that makes any sense at all...
#12 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 01:02 PM

Carla: Lots of Hugs for you!

Welcome Sunfairy: sorry to hear you are overdue, but just keep up the good work of cooking that baby. And your already a 5cm. I arrived at the hospital in active labor at a 5 with this one. I am sure it will be a really quick process for you once the steady contractions start. Take it easy and if you can get a pedicure or massage DO IT. Pamper yourself!!! You deserve it.

Kimberlibby: Since we live in the same area perhaps you could tell me where you go to LLL. I need to go. I am extremely engorged and my precious Gabriella is struggling with her latch on. I called my sister crying this morning and her come over to help me cause we had been trying for atleast 15 min. and Gabbi was so mad and I was frustrated. I would love to meet with other nursing mothers and soon.

For everyone else: Hang in there. Even though I was so ready to hold Gabriella in my arms I am already missing those little kicks and jabs that I felt inside my tummy. Cherrish these last moments that you have in your pregnancy. I am wishing you all wonderful birth experiences when the time is right!

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
#13 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 01:04 PM

Stacy...you are joining a great group here and a few of us(myself included) are with you on being OD....so pull up a chair....

Christine..I have been a little obsessive about the health issue too lately! I painted my toes yesterday and pumiced stoned my feet like crazy and I make sure to shower before I go to bed as well as in the a.m.....I am ususally a one shower a day girl and wash my hair eoe day but now I am more like well I better wash it again just incase...:LOL....

Heather good luck at your appt today!
bbl

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#14 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 02:09 PM

Laurie - I have had that problem both times. I have to pump for just a minute or 2 so the baby can latch on. Sometimes I "waste" it and just express enough into a cloth. It really does make things very challenging and emotional.

Stacy - welcome. I'm in your boat but with no real change. I have decided the next time I am pregnant I am going to automatically add 2 weeks to my dates on purpose.

How do you all have all that time for hygiene? The kids and I took a shower together this am so I could get one in. I had to shave my legs and DS kept walking under me as I put my leg up! BUT, I have always been obsessed with my pedicures.
#15 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 02:22 PM

Laurie: I go to LLL on Eden Road. If you came, you'd go west on 20, and then go south on matlock to eden road and take a right on eden and it is at south arlington church of christ. It's from 10-11:30 on Wednesday next week, the series meeting and they are very helpful and nice

Yeah, I totally had to pump off a couple ounces on each side from day 4-8 or so.... hang in there!! If you need me to come over, just call! I'm close and totaly willing to come over!!

Do you have a pump? I can't do without mine right now, but if you're needing one for short-term, my SIL isn't due till September and isn't using her Pump in Style right now and she might lend it to you if you needed it.

(((hugs))) Engorged breasts hurt SOOOOO bad!
#16 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 02:24 PM

Oh, also Laurie, at the same location on Tuesday nights (EVERY Tuesday) at 7 pm they have a iBCLC who comes in and does a baby weighing and helps anyone who needs lactation help. It's free of charge. Her name is Melanie Sheppard. I am going next week cause I want to weigh Katie.

Kimberly
#17 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 02:29 PM

Warning...selfish rant post that may not be making much sense...

ob appointment today didn't go as well as I would have liked. I was checked and I'm a fingertip which to him is less than 1 cm. Still thick, but baby's head is down. Good. I asked him if traveling an hour and half to a family funeral is ok and he said since I'm only less than 1 cm he thinks it is ok. Good. Then he said something which I wish I could go back in time and have him repeat or playback or me listen more carefully. Something like--I don't think it will be happening this week, but we'll try not to let you get past 39 weeks. I asked what that meant. He said that's when we'll try to get it started or something like that. Was he talking induction???? Pitocin at 39 weeks for no reason in particular? Just because? What? I was kinda confused and not making mental connections this morning, but now I'm wishing I had asked him to be more clear. Maybe he doesn't realize that I'm not the kind of mother that wants to be artificially induced out of convenience. If I was, I wuold have done that at 36 weeks to get out of a week of school (just kidding) I'm scared now. I think it was kimberly that said her plan was to stall stall stall.... I guess that is my plan too. I don't--capital D--don't want to be induced at 39 weeks if everything is healthy and there is no medical need. I'd be happy to go 43 if we have to. (although that probably wouldn't happen) What frustrates me is when I was having alot of contractions at 35 and 36 weeks he was concerned because that was a little too early. Now he's saying 39 is cut off....that's only 2 solid weeks of "ok" time to go into labor. Cutting my window in half. Not fair. GRRRR.

Sorry about the rant. I'll cool off in a moment after I bounce on this birth ball for about an hour and say come out come out now! over and over and over again.
#18 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 04:05 PM

Christeeny: I don't like the tone of what he said at all, but I REALLY hope you misunderstood him!!! Ultimately, it is up to YOU what you do though! He can't MAKE you be induced. That's YOUR call. And if he sets up an induction, you can always NOT SHOW UP!!
#19 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 04:26 PM

hi all,

it is neat to see all the babies. are we 50/50, yet or still farther away?

i am 38 weeks now. it would be nice if this one came a little before the due date, but i am not counting on it. my first was about 3 weeks past the EDD. the second was a few days past the EDD. but this baby feels so low.

it would be nice if they arrive before dh returns to college later this month. he plans to take 2 weeks off from work, but i am hoping it is before school starts.

i think i will feel ready to have this baby this weekend at the earliest. i am going to do a belly cast tomorrow. this is my last thing i plan to do.

i plan to become more sexually active, in hopes of getting a jump on things.
#20 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 04:36 PM

I'm still here. I was due on the 1st. My next appt isn't till Friday and I was hoping not to have to go to this appt. My dr hasn't mentioned induction and that's good cause I don't want to go that route this time. I figure I have until the 14th and that's 10 days away. It would be better timing if the two of us could hold out till the very end. This way dh doesn't have to go on his business trip at all this month.

As for those asking about the contractions. You just know! When you can't walk, talk, and sleep through them it's probably "it" The contractions that I feel are enough to stop me and make me breathe through them, but they aren't strong enough to keep me up at night.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#21 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 04:42 PM

Here's some good labor dust for those eager to get the show on the road! .

Baby Ian and I are doing great. I posted our birth story for anyone interested. Dh is doing an awesome job as daddy. I have been getting some sleep and feeling pretty good overall.

Christeeny, he needs to give you a GOOD reason to induce. I hate induction happy doctors. : Good luck!

Oh and just wanted to let you all know that I LOVE LOVE LOVE my hug-a-bub sling/carrier. Ian just loves riding around in it and sleeps like a champ so I can get other things done! I highly recommend it!

Gotta run for now. Can't wait to hear about the new babies to join up soon.

Cheryl
Slinging at keyboard (sak)

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#22 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 06:01 PM

I had my 37 week midwife appt today.....did the GBS test and will find out results in a few days. She also drew blood for a CBC because the last lab that was done on me at the hated OB"s office showed really low iron. She just wants to be prepared.
My bp was a little high for me, 120/79. It's usually like 110/60ish. Also, I've had to take my wedding ring off and replace it with my preggo sterling ring LOL. We didn't do an internal exam, didn't see the point. There's no sign of labor yet i.e. mucous plug is intact, no real ctx. However, baby girl has decided that she's only going to be moving around in the evenings when I go to bed. She's got her back against the outside of my tummy, so maybe that's why I'm not feeling the kicks. But, she was reactive and had a great heartbeat. I hate the scary-ness of not feeling her like i was before though!!

I need to go lay down now, this texas heat is kicking my butt big time! I lost 5# in sweat I would guess in just a week.......but tummy grew 2cm

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
#23 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 06:46 PM

Had my 38 week appt today, due to all the pelvic pain, the mw checked me, and i'm 50% and 1 cm dialated!! Not much I know, but it did make me feel good to know that the pressure and discomfort is doing something!! Mw said it could happen this weekend, or it could go for another 2 weeks. Either way, I always feel good after the appts, it's so nice to hear the heartbeat, (136) and just hear that things are progressing. Also took my doula with me to my appt, so she got to meet the mw too.

DH team at work gave him a surprise shower at their staff meeting today! So he's bringing home some goodies. I feel so blessed by how giving people have been. Guess everyone knows when you are having a baby you need stuff.

Well I should go start dinner. Have a good evening, everybody.
#24 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 07:19 PM

my sister has to leave friday morning, after waiting almost two weeks for this little one to get here. i'm 41w2d, and really frustrated that she's not gonna get to meet the baby. she's been doing so much for us since she got here, and no payoff!

saw my midwife this morning. everything seems to be in a holding pattern... all the measurements are the same as last week, pretty much. i almost cried when we set up next week's appointment...

i know i'm only a few days over, but i really thought i'd be done by now. whine whine whine! all these contractions and nothing to show for it. my family is just trying stay out of my way... even the dogs scatter when i waddle into the room.

of course i'm glad the baby's doing OK, and that my bp and swelling and everything is fine... but i want my lungs and stomach back! i want to quit barfing! i wanna meet this baby! WHAAAAAA!

ok, pity party over.

katje the crank
#25 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 08:37 PM

back from appt...still measuring large, which really leads me to believe the 8th is a more likely edd than the 21st...either way, we'll have a baby soon!

stats from appt, stretchy to 3cm, baby's at -1 or 0 station and measuring 39wks, and my urine/bp etc is great...i had contrax's all the way there and especially on the way home since i let him sweep my membranes...i'm loosing even more plug now!

i need to go rest, i'm really uncomfy and having lots of crampy ick now...ttyl mamas!
#26 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 09:09 PM

I am the biggest crab ever. I want nothing to do with anyone. If my sister calls again I may kill her. Good thing she is in Georgia and I can't reach that far. And she isn't doing anything but trying to schedule stuff in January. Like I give a rats a$$ about January! I told her I may get laid off and we are hording money but she still can't get it. I know that is typical for her, but still I am tired of repeating myself. She is just another 4 year old.
Heck, my 4 year old is the only one not getting on my nerves and that would be because he is watching PBS. I think this is hour #3. ugh.

I did take a bath, it was private for awhile, then I cleaned the bathroom. It was gross. My hair is everywhere and SOMEONE is getting tooth paste all over. It started with my bath company dumping gel all over the floor. That is ALL I need. Clear slippery gel on my bathroom floor!

Man I am a grouch! :ignore me please.
#27 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 09:13 PM

Christine
do not let them induce you w.o good cause..ITA with the others on that one
Dr. hurry

Cheryl..read your birth story and you are so inspiring for a first time mom! Congrats on your nursing success!

Katje.......

Rebecca and Terri glad you got to hear reassuring HB's today!

hhmmm Heather so what do you think maybe baby by tomorrow???

Jenn...sorry you are having a bad day!

Well , I am getting nervous about our appt tomorrow-DH too he has called me so many times from work today.
I am pretty sure my baby has turned sunny side up as this back pain/pre-labor is killing me....not to mention the crazy off/on again contrax...making me exhausted!
BUT I am still ...or trying anyway....

Free To Be~
Traci
~John Holt 

#28 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 09:54 PM

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to add, you will know when you are in labor. You just will! But don't get too frustrated b/c all those BH are doing a good job getting you there. I had them for at least a week before I really started contracting. My biggest sign was that they started going into my back, and losing a lot of mucous.

cheryl-you are an inspiration! Great job on your birth! And you also crack me up, what do you mean "so you can get things done!" Take it easy and enjoy your babymoon!

I am feeling much better today. My one tear is healing well, and I am starting to feel more like my old self. I know you all probably don't want to hear this, but I am just so happy to not be pregnant anymore!

I posted my birth story today too, was good to get it done!

And also christine, he most likely was talking induction, but I agree with everyone else, don't let him do it unless there is a very very good reason. One intervention will lead to another...

You guys are close...it will happen!!! I know that it feels like you will be pg forever and never go into labor. Hang in there!
#29 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 10:15 PM

Am I crazy? I suddenly want to look at hiring a doula. I am really afraid that I might be induced again if this baby doesn't come soon. If that happens I think I might want a doula. I have no idea how to find on here in Mississippi. I went to dona.org and emailed the only ones in MS that they listed. I don't know what else to do. I'm biting my nails anxiously awaiting a miracle to put me into labor naturally in the meantime bouncing feverishly on this ball. Is it too late for a doula?
#30 of 176 Old 08-04-2004, 10:37 PM

Hi Ladies,
Trying to catch up on all the posts and activity...

Carla- I'm so sorry for your loss...

Sunfairy-You have a GREAT overdue belly! May it be quick and all that you want! Thanks for introducing yourself..

Laurie-So good to "see" you. Sorry you're having trouble with her latch. Can you call a local LLL???

AP-You're reminding me to paint my toes! I'm a little unsure if I can get a pedicure at this point-but if this baby isn't here by Sat. perhaps I will... I totally understand all the obsessive hygiene things.. I am getting this way myseld. With DS#1, I took a loong, hot shower right after my water broke and shaved my legs, and just generally took care of myself and made sure my hair was washed and that I smelled okay!

Christeeny-Have your practitioner clarify what he meant by his comment. It seems to be bringing up worry for you and if that is the case, I would call him and have him reiterate what his policy is...My practive "lets" you go to about 41 weeks and then you get put on an induction list. Ugh...

Juju-I've thought about sex recently... but haven't put any of those thoughts into action...good for you. Hope it helps speed things up...

Girl-My babe's movements have definitely decreased lately. I hate it, too, although I know it's comppletely normal. I even was pushing my belly around tonight to see if he/she would respond. Luckily, I got a few good kicks..

Katje-You are certainly not a crank... just an overdue mama! You're allowed to gripe. Pregnancy and this waiting can be tough business-especially if you are still sick... you poor thing, Katje!!!

Okay, I know I missed some of you... getting bleary eyed and it's only
9:30. still nothing different over here. Go again to doc tomorow. Let's see what, if any changes have happened in the past week. DS is sick. Hasn't been sick in probably 7 months. He has a throat infection. We haven't done anything differerently recently, so I have no idea where this came from. All I know is that he is such a sweet, sick muffin, but it's not exactly the best timing for him to be feeling so yucky. Sounds so selfish, I know. But really I just want HIM to be okay when so much else in his little life will be changing. My ped said that she sees lots of prego moms who right before giving birth their other children get sick or DH-it's like Murphy's law.

Tomorrow is my EDD. No sign of baby... really thought it would be early... HA! The universe is laughing at me...

You are all so inspiring to me. I read all the birth stories and they truly give me strength...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page