Late August Chat Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 138 Old 08-25-2004, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Christine, I will be thinking about you tomorrow!

I am now 2 days late.. had an appt with my midwife this afternoon. She did a pelvic and it didn't tell me much. The baby has dropped a little bit and she said I was maybe 50% effaced but my cervix was still so far back, it was hard to tell dilation with her stubby fingers. So, just waiting for nature to take its course.. I'm going for a NST and ultrasound on the 31st if, of course, I don't have the baby by then..

My parents are in town for the delivery and are leaving on Sunday.. I'm pretty sure I won't have the baby by then. It makes me feel really guilty. If I don't have the baby, they won't see her until Christmas.

I keep having false labor starts.. starting to wonder if my body is ever going to go into full labor!
#62 of 138 Old 08-26-2004, 12:46 AM

My milk is in, my sister is crazy, my grandmother is seriously ill, today is DH's birthday - I am done in.

Good thing about the milk, meconium is out, pee count is up. My sister wants to know when I will be arriving in Virginia in October. It is a 2 day drive but I can't tell you till day 2 if we are goingt o stretch it to 3. now that my family and I are on speaking terms, I find out the test results from my grandmother's laatest scan is not good. She has started chemo and this may buy her another 3-18 months. She is not getting sick fromt eh chemo, and that is apparantly a bad sign. if she is sick it is working... the cancer has spread from her lung to her lymph nodes and liver. coworker told me to call if I need anything and she brought dh's birthday cake since I am not driving. I think I will try one more day witht eh codine and then stick with Motrin. If I slowed down I might heal some- or at least remember to take the meds before the pain is too bad.
oh, and dh is not helpful enough. yes he is driving all over, but he is on his computer right now. ok, i am too, but he didn't help get the other boys down. tomorrow he can take the little boys and go to work- i will sleep. work called today so i could be part of the team meeting. i said today wasn't a good day. another coworker is out with hip replacement (her hip arrived on schedule) and i asked which was cuter- my baby or her hip. she said she didn't keep her hip. i went to sleep right after that and ryan cooperated!
off to bed again. hopefully i can sleep 2-3 hours this time.

i am sending out all my labor vibes- my afterbirth pains need a new home!
#63 of 138 Old 08-26-2004, 12:00 PM

Magemom, LOL, you are coming here, and I hope to be going there! Where in VA are you going?

So I have the whole taking care of two kids thing down pat, I've sometime got the attempting to do dirty dishes while taking care of two kids down, but I'm no where near having the finding time to take a shower so I don't stink while taking care of two kids things down. Anyone else?

So I've finally come to terms with the fact that Sara has skin issues and can't handle wool, so I have to sell it all SO bummed. I spent a lot of time finding all the exact wool I wanted for the diaper covers and soakers/longies, getting appliques, choosing colorways. Oh well. I should have known. My mom and husband have skin issues, and DS does too.

It's quiet on the board, who's out there having their baby!?! I want more birth stories!
#64 of 138 Old 08-26-2004, 01:38 PM

Lena, I grew up just outside of Richmond ina town called Midlothian, DH is from Powhatan. We both lived just off route 711.

I am sorry about the wool problem. I am not brave enought to attempt wool.

Today is a sleep day. That is all I plan on doing. All the kids are elsewhere and DH is at work so it is me and Ryan. He is currrently over my knee thinking about burping. If I could convince him nursing while I lay down in a good thing life would be excellent. As to how do I do it? 14 year old. I highly recomment getting one of those first. Yesterday was DH's birthday so I bit my tongue. Today however, if once he is home he is as helpful, I will yell. Or maybe be chillingly quiet. But I have some words for that man.

I hope to get my birth story done at 1 week. I thought to do it yesterday but I slept amost all of my alone time and I bet I will do it again. Time to go back to bed!
#65 of 138 Old 08-26-2004, 02:08 PM

Magemom: So sorry to hear about your grandmother. Lots of prayers for you and the rest of your family.

Lena: I am not sure how I have done it all yet. Taking care of my two has pretty much been a breeze. For showers I put up a gate to keep my daughter out of trouble and put in a video and put the baby in the fisher price take a long swing in the bathroom. But now that I am watching my two daycare kids that has been a different story. I try to stick to the normal feeding schedule with the two girls and 9 month old boy and still BF Gabi on demand. I've even somehow got all the kids to nap at the same time! The 9 mo. old is my biggest struggle. He's not so small like Gabi but not big enough to play with the girls. So he wants quite a bit of my attention. It's sometimes hard to do when Gabi is ready to nurse but we have coped pretty well.

Gabriella will be 4 weeks old tomorrow I weighed her on my baby scale this morning and she is 11lb. I have not measured her so not sure if she grown in that way but she sure looks like it. She is sucha big girl. But so sweet.

Gentle labor Vibes to all who need it right now!

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
#66 of 138 Old 08-26-2004, 11:35 PM

Laurie, You rock for being able to do the daycare kiddos on top of your two!

I'm just not having good luck with sleep at all. Unrelated to the kiddos.... wellllll, it would help if Libby wouldn't get up at 5 or 6 every morning!!! But Katie is only nursing 2x between 11-6, so she's not hard! I'm just so exhausted I can barely function.

Physically, I feel absolutely normal. Just exhausted.

I wanted to go to LLL Laurie! But Libby decided she was willing to take a morning nap and I fell asleep!! I take advantage of all sleep opportunities right now!

I'm not trying to be a big whiner! I love my girlies to bits! And this is a season... and someday I will get more sleep

Kimberly
#67 of 138 Old 08-27-2004, 08:46 AM

So i feel like such a goober this morning...

we actually went to the hospital and had to leave

i had cramps all yesterday morning and after my u/s they graduated to contractions, just mild ones but quite regular. i took a bath and a nap, and they continued, and started getting really uncomfortable. had dinner, had a shower...kept on contracting. so at that point i'm thinking, hey, this is the real thing. my water hadn't broken and i had no bloody show, but from what i understand, that isn't absolutely necessary in early labour.
we went to bed really early just in case. i woke up 2 hrs later with contractions 2-3 minutes apart lasting 1 minute, feeling them strongly in my back and thighs. i waited awhile, then phone the OB unit and woke up hubby. we have a 1/2 hr drive to the hospital, and we had to drop off our son as well so it was about an hour trip, I didn't want to wait til things got hairy.
contractions continued through the car ride etc. we got to the hospital and things started to peter out as the nurse checked us in. she left us for about an hour and i couldn't seem to get back to where i was when i left home. then she came in and did my vitals and an internal, and they just quit. Totally.
so we went home.
i CAN'T BELIEVE i did the false alarm thing, i feel like a total goof.
i cried all the way home. I'm so sick of these days and days of cramps and contractions getting me nowhere.
dh was really supportive last night. this morning he's frustrated. i think he figured we'd go to sleep and have to get up and leave again...but we didn't.
yuck.
hope somebody's having a baby! send me your labor vibes! i've had it!
#68 of 138 Old 08-27-2004, 09:18 AM

I'm sure it did something, at least getting your muscles ready. You'll have that baby soon. I know it feels like forever, but you're almost there!!!
#69 of 138 Old 08-27-2004, 10:08 AM

ok, yeah so i've gone MIA...lol, life with three is chaotic! one was a breeze, two was pretty easy...three??? sigh...i'm finding it hard to even read much let alone post. jake and shelby are definitely showing signs of jealousy now. they are sweet as pie to the baby, but are defiant (jake) and grumpy (shelby) towards me sometimes since i have to spend so much time nursing the baby. he's been growth-spurting since about 10-11 days old i think and now he's a little over 3wks old! but i think he's gained at least a pound if not more since his 2 wk checkup! oy, and don't get me started on taking three out in public! i've got a double stroller but miss independent doesn't like to ride for long and so she and jake are running in opposite directions laughing at me while ian fusses to nurse...mind you, this is all happening in a checkout line at jcpenneys...we'd only been in there about 25 mins to exchange some too small/wrong season outfits...anyways!

other than being tired, i'm doing good...i'm enjoying my "herd"...they're such a blessing

my best wishes to those who've had their babies and to those who haven't! :::smooches:::
#70 of 138 Old 08-27-2004, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, TheBenjies, we're in the same boat. I contracted painfully all yesterday afternoon and evening only to have them peter out sometime in the middle of the night. I did get my dd's labour support person into a tizzy unnecessarily but luckily held off on calling the midwife. In fact, I'm still contracting every few minutes, just not in a painful or overwhelming way. I too feel but am trying to ignore dh's disappointment. I think that we both thought that it would simply pick up again when I got up this morning.

Instead of feeling let down, I feel more excited about the baby and about the chance to experience birth again. Regular contractions certainly make it seem more real!
#71 of 138 Old 08-27-2004, 11:49 AM

hi all,

just checking in to see if there are any new babes. hope to hear from christine soon!

thebenjies: don't feel bad about the false alarm, i would have thought it was labor,too. and i agree, i'm sure it did something.

I am recovering from mastitis today. fun stuff that : feeling much better today but still not great, just trying to rest as much as possible.

lots of labor vibes to those due or overdue and waiting. sorry so short, i am nak and rather slow about it still!

Mama to Boy (10) Other Boy (7) and Girl (4)   mdcblog5.gif in my profile!

#72 of 138 Old 08-27-2004, 12:02 PM

Hello all, this is Josh, Christine's husband. I hope I'm doing this right.
Thomas Allen was born at 4:39 pm on 8/26
Christine did a AWESOME JOB! Just a brief run down of events. We got to the hospital around 6:30 am. We were induced somewhere around 8:00 in think, after all the paperwork and enima(sp?). They gave christine petocin throughout the day, although not as much as I guess you would say normal. She labored until about 4:15 or 4:20 (it was all blurry then) and at 4:39 a 9lbs 9oz, 21 inch long, 14 inch head, bouncing baby boy came into the world. And oh yeah, SHE DID THIS ALL WITHOUT PAIN MEDICINE. I was soooo impressed. She is doing pretty good with recovery and Thomas is nursing very well. She is up and moving around and we should go home tomorrow afternoon. Christine will submit her birth story some time this weekend.
Thanks for all of your support. It has really helped Christine get through this pregnancy I know.

Josh
#73 of 138 Old 08-27-2004, 12:24 PM

Awe Christeen!! Congratulations!!!
#74 of 138 Old 08-27-2004, 01:15 PM

Count me in the false start category. We're doing it at home with my mom attending, so there's noone to call and nowhere to go, but I have definitely thought, "this is it!" more than once. (About 3 times actually.)

I'm having terrible allergies on top of it, so sleep is a rare commodity around here. Thank goodness I'm somewhere that I can't get many phone calls. It's bad enough getting all the looks from the people who can't believe I'm still pregnant. My dad and in-laws are leaving today to go to a wedding. My in-laws will come back if I have the baby, but not my dad.

I'm trying really hard to stay positive-so much so that everyone tells me, "You're not miserable enough to have that baby yet!" I'm about to start growling at them and telling them that I COULD be a whole lot grumpier if I thought it would do any good.

Gotta go blow my nose...again.

Looking forward to hearing Christeen's birth story! It sounds like you did great!

Rochelle
Mommy to Meg 5/00, Peter 6/02, #3 way overdue
#75 of 138 Old 08-27-2004, 03:20 PM

nak

congrats, christine! can't wait to hear your story...

more soon... we are all well here.

k
#76 of 138 Old 08-27-2004, 04:04 PM

Congrats Christine!! What a feeling, those first few hours.

Finally got my Anna to latch on yesterday! So ever since she'd been on and off my breast, never for more than 10-15 minutes at a time, but hey, its a start. I am SO relieved to think that maybe I won't have to pump forever. Had a wonderful LL leader stop by my house yesterday, can I just say that woman could ask anything of me, and I'd likely do it. Who knew there were such helpful kind women who do things like come over and help another woman learn to bf, just because they want to? She is a volunteer, and was 1000x more helpful than the professional LC I had in on Monday. Anyways, blessings to them both.

I don't think Anna has the latch thing totally down pat though, as it really hurts when she sucks sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't hurt, sometimes it does. Both the LC ladies had told me that when they are latched on correctly, it shouldn't hurt? So we are learning.

My sister has been here for a week, and I'm dreading Sunday cuz it means she is leaving. But Mom will still be here for a week or two.

Hope all the other new mama's are doing well and getting enough rest. And to all the mama's waiting.....good luck.....your wee one will be here any moment now!
#77 of 138 Old 08-27-2004, 04:17 PM

Yay Christine and Joshypoo!!

Rebecca, Just to give you hope, Libby didn't latch until 10 weeks old.... and she was fine after that She just "got it" at 10 weeks old and never looked back
#78 of 138 Old 08-27-2004, 05:30 PM

10 weeks!!?? Wow. Kimberly, what did you do for those first 10 weeks? Pump and gave it in a bottle??
#79 of 138 Old 08-28-2004, 07:18 PM

Hi all.

Heather Elizabeth made her grand entrance at 1:50 yesterday afternoon, less than 2 hours after the begining of labour. She was born at home, into my hands, as my husband, our son, and our doula cheered me on. A midwife (not ours) arrived about 30 minutes later.

She weighed in at 8 lbs, 12 oz - was 20.5 inches long, and left mama with nary a tear.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#80 of 138 Old 08-28-2004, 07:46 PM

congrats christeen and lizabear! i'm so happy for you both!

so who's left now? rochelle, dodo (dear ole dodobird <EG>), mat4mel, and thebenjies? i hope i've not excluded anyone, but i'm afraid my brain is mush after 3wks of not sleeping!

and lena, i thought i was mad at you when you said you can get back in your 4's...then i tried on a pair of my larger fitting jeans (a sz6 <EG>) and THEY FIT! now if only i can get the 4's back on soon!

well, gotta run...working on dinner, washing clothes/diapers and trying to keep an eye on my crew
#81 of 138 Old 08-28-2004, 07:56 PM

thebenjies and dodo.. count me in.

I am 40 weeks 5 days now. Last night and all day I have had really uncomfortable b/h, anywhere from 3-10 minutes apart. They are particularly uncomfortable. I would compare them to contractions that I had in active labor with my other kids.. enough to make me want to hold my breath. I don't understand what's going on! It seems like I could be 4-5 cms but they aren't regular. It is a little scary b/c I am afraid I won't make it to the hospital if I can't tell when I'm in real labor! These contractions HURT! I feel like sometimes the contractions are so strong, surely my water will break any minute..

And my parents are in town, for the "delivery" but they have to go back early tomorrow morning! I wish things would just pick up already!

Mel
#82 of 138 Old 08-28-2004, 08:58 PM

I know I'm a newbie but I'm also still pregnant at 40 weeks 6 days.

I've been having pre-labor contractions for over 2 weeks now and they range from 15 minutes apart to 10 minutes apart most days. I've lost a fair amount of mucous plug and it's been pink tinged the past two days, so I'm hoping we might be moving into the home stretch now.

Today's contractions have been the strongest yet - some even took my breath away.

My MW doesn't routinely do cervical checks so we don't know the status of the cervix and probably won't check until we go past 41 weeks (if it continues on that long).

--Kari
#83 of 138 Old 08-28-2004, 10:47 PM

Posting while i have a second- internet has been goofy all day. i almost put weekend because it has been such a long day. Ryan was a good tag along to the ER this morning. 8am and 2 year old split open his head. I felt really bad as I saw it in smow motion if that makes sense. I was holding Ryan and not moving fast at all. 3 staples later....
Ryan has a horrible rash and we are super broke till tuesday. i have 3 differnt kinds of zinc ointment and it just isn't cutting it. i am trying to let him air out, but the kid is up tp 18 diapers today. for some one who freaked us out initially for not going, he sure is going alot!
Tomorrow is the first day home with all the kids. i might get a nap.
#84 of 138 Old 08-28-2004, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Magemom, I know what you mean about seeing your children hurt themselves in slow motion. It's always that way for me.
Welcome, Kari.

Christine, congratulations to you and Josh. You must be so happy!

LizaBear, awesome birth story. Sounds as though you were very relaxed!

Mat4mel, I also have no idea when to declare labour real. In fact, I think that I have less of an idea than I did my first time around. Every evening it hurts, I need to concentrate, then I finally fall asleep and the contractions go away.

My parents-in-law were here today...to meet the baby, I think. I was so punctual with my first child that they assumed that I would have a two-day-old by now. Before they came, dh and I decided that we would splurge on a new washing machine. Luckily for us, FIL offered to pick up the entire tab, including a super-extended warranty. I can't wait to wash my diapers!

I am still following a manic social schedule. Thursday was my shower; Friday, a vernissage; today, a community BBQ. It's tiring but if I stay home I am overwhelmingly bored. Do other pregnant women have this? I have never felt so bored as I feel at the end of my pregnancies. I need constant stimulation. I find myself seeking out the neighbourhood eleven-year-olds for conversation. I'm learning which bunk they sleep on, where their grandmas live, how they get to school, when their brothers' and sisters' birthdays are...anything and everything. Today I found myself wishing that I had a job to keep me occupied.
#85 of 138 Old 08-29-2004, 09:13 AM

Magemom, do you have lansinoh? Try that on the diaper rash. Dunk the tube in a cup of warm water for a few minutes to soften it up.
#86 of 138 Old 08-29-2004, 11:48 AM

congrats christine and lizabear!

we are doing well here, Seb woke up with lots of gunk in his eye. I'm hoping its just a minor infection, been putting breast milk in it. We are worried its a blocked tear duct, b/c my older son had a stubborn one that had to be surgically opened when he was 11 months old. Do not want to deal that again!

planning on doing some shopping today so i can chuck the maternity clothes!

to those of you overdue and waiting. hang in there!

Mama to Boy (10) Other Boy (7) and Girl (4)   mdcblog5.gif in my profile!

#87 of 138 Old 08-29-2004, 01:26 PM

C'mon baby Dodo.... Maybe today will be the day

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#88 of 138 Old 08-29-2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillybean
congrats christine and lizabear!

we are doing well here, Seb woke up with lots of gunk in his eye. I'm hoping its just a minor infection, been putting breast milk in it. We are worried its a blocked tear duct, b/c my older son had a stubborn one that had to be surgically opened when he was 11 months old. Do not want to deal that again!

planning on doing some shopping today so i can chuck the maternity clothes!

to those of you overdue and waiting. hang in there!
Alex has the gunk too. The dr. told us to massage the tear duct and using a washcloth to get the gunk out. Poor guy couldn't even get his eye open.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#89 of 138 Old 08-29-2004, 03:12 PM

Yes, let's get us last few going! I'm still pregnant too, but I'm dealing a little better. DH has been a dream this past week, I've been a pampered princess (lots of extra sleep, back rubs, snacks...he even came shopping with me!). Since my false alarm on thursday nite I've had a lot less BHs etc, but more nerve pain.
guess we'll see!
hey I second using breastmilk on the gunky eyes, it worked like a charm on DS's. it's also super for cradle cap and any other skin irritations...It cleans out the eyes so much nicer than plain water.
congratulations lizabear! so glad your waiting is now over!
we're having a lazy sunday over here...it's great!
#90 of 138 Old 08-29-2004, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm... Still here. Like TheBenjies, I've switched from contractions to nerve pain.

I am actually considering seducing dh. Sex sounds very unappealing to a very pregnant me, but as a neighbour put it -- and yes, the neighbours have all been forthcoming with this induction suggestion -- it's probably the least amount of effort for the most gain. We'll see.

Dodo, who is looking at becoming a September mommy for the second time

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page