It's April, Mamas!!!! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ack. Ive gotten very behind on emails the past few days...

Does anyone else homeschool their school age kids? (Not talking about the people tha say they homeschool but only have a 2 year old or something like that?)

I put R in Montessori a few months ago because I thought it would be a better environment for him, but I dont think is working out very well. He has mild autism and has a hard time learning and it seems like the teacher and director dont really want to deal with him because he is not their "ideal" student.

He also goes to occupational therapy twice a week and loves his teacher there. He gets 1 on 1 attention for almost 2 hours and it does him a lot of good. Most of the kindergarden schools around here have at least 20 kids per class and that would be way too much distraction for him. Im really worried about what to do with my poor kid but I dont think I could homeschool because he is so "challenging" and I just dont think I would be able to stay patient enough. Its one thing if you have a kid who is average at least with learning and you can see progress being made, but with R there isnt a lot of progress and its hard not to get frustrated.

I guess that I really need to post this in the children with special needs forum or homeschooling forum. Or maybe I just needed to ramble.
#302 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 10:20 AM

Danielle,

thats a great diaper stash! I want to get some fireflies (love the colors) and LHC also.

I saw everyone elses pic on yahoo and added a few more of my kids that we had professionally taken (sorry about the copyright mark in the middle).

Jen, that is AWESOME that someone left you all those diapers! For newborns you dont really need absorbancy Ive found because they poop SO often youre constantly changing them. That is just really neat. I will prob. get a few packs of sposies for gifts which is fine since I can return them and use that money to buy cloth or whatever else I need.

Anna, that is so cool that you have such a crunchy sister. No one in my family really says anything about the way I parent but only because they think Im so weird anyway. Dhs family barely sees or even knows us for that matter so they have nothing to say. Im sure if his mom or dad knew I am still nursing or dont vaccinate or will keep any future boys intact they would freak out. But oh well, its none of their business, so I wont get too worried about what anyone else says. I cant even talk to most of my "friends" about these issues though either. It really sucks to live in such a small narrow minded town.

Steph, Welcome back! Your stash sounds good to me! If you find you dont have enough it will be easy to pick up a few more things after the babys birth!
#303 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 10:39 AM

Sarah, have you ever poked yourself or Jack with the pins or do the Dritz have some sort of safety mechanism? Whats special about them? I used pins with Riley and once he got mobile I was always having to be super careful not to poke him (since he would squirm around so much).

Kim, You know, something kindof similar happened to me one time. My ex-stepmother in law found out I had bought Riley a doll to play with and she said that I really shouldnt have done that because her brother was sick alot as a child so his mom let him play with dolls and dress up clothes since he couldnt run around and play. Anyways, he grew up and "came out of the closet" and they all think it was because he played with dolls as a child. : I think that is prob. one of the most ridiculous things Ive ever heard. My sons occupational therapy teachers (Judy), daughter Dori, is a lesbian and is pregnant with twins right now. It is really cool to see how supportive Judy is of Dori. Its really heartwarming. Her babies are due in June I believe. She is having a boy and a girl.

Boobiekinmama, Im experiencing the same as you. With my daughter I felt very forceful kicks and punches quite often by now, but with this little one I only feel little tiny movements a couple of times a day. I guess that makes it all the more exciting though. When I was 10 weeks and had been bleeding for about a month and had the sono, they said my placenta was anterior then so Im assuming it still is, but just higher now? Im sure thats why I dont feel much movement... I did just feel a few kicks with my hand yesterday morning. That was neat. I cant wait until Riley can feel something!

Savannah, thanks for explaining the month/week thing. this is my 4th pregnancy and I STILL dont get it. I am 18 weeks today so I guess Im in the 5th month. Yay!
#304 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
18 weeks today! Just feeling twinges and flutters every now and then.
After trying and trying, and having a few m/c s, its still a little hard to believe I'm 18 weeks pregnant. I'm so excited! Almost halfway through. This has gone by really fast so far.

Last week I was in a bit of discomfort in my low back and hips.
Went to the Chiro on mon. and yes I was out of wack in that area.
I am feeling much better now.

Hope you all have a good Wednesday!
#305 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 11:21 AM

Jen & Lynsey,
Yeah, she said dyke, among other things... and it upset me for more than one reason. One is that she knows that I hate that kind of talk. Does she not know me at all? The other is that I don't want to raise my child to judge people by the way they dress. I don't want her to think that someone is good because they wear name brands, etc... The fact that my dad was gay and that I was close to him is a whole different issue between me and my mom. My dad was brought up super tough so I know that whole argument is a bunch of bull. My mom dressed me in frills and I was not at all girly in high school. I wear dresses now from time to time but usually hang out in jeans, tank tops, and flip flops. You're both right, I want my daughter to be comfortable, not smothered in a bunch of lace. I guess I'm just frustrated because what she said makes her sound so ignorant. If my daughter grows up and wants to shave her head, fine. If she doesn't ever want to wear a dress, fine. If she's gay, fine... as long as she's happy. And if she's super girly, well that's fine, too. Again, as long as she's happy. That's it... I'm done complaining about it. I just have to stick to my guns and try to get along with her the best I can. Thanks for making me feel like it's something I need to do.

My husband had to hear me go on and on about it last night. I'm glad he agrees, though.

I was kind of worried last night because the baby wasn't moving around as much as she usually does. But this morning, she's been kicking away. Yay! :LOL

I can't wait to get into the Yahoo! group and see all of the pics. I'll post again later today.

Love,
Kim
#306 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 12:46 PM

Heathers must think alike. I too am feeling less movement with this baby than I was with Christopher. Christopher felt like I had a soccer player in my belly LOL! I am hoping that maybe this is a sign that this baby will be mellower? I can only hope!

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#307 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 01:33 PM

Heather J, just think of the time it will save in the bathroom when your daughter is a teenager if she shaves her head!!! I was just like you in HS... all along my mom tried to get me in dressier clothes that were more feminine... all the while she provided me a contradictory model by wearing blue jeans, a turtleneck and a flannel shirt *every single day*. Oh, and don't let me forget the complete lack of make-up and short, no-nonsense hair. I think I've turned out girlier than she actually had hoped. With a twist, of course...

Sarah - not only is the thought of Jo in frills funny, but the pictures are hilarious. She has a cousin who is a few years younger than us and their moms bought them matching dresses and took A LOT of photos. The funny thing was that Christine seemed to hate them more than Jo because in subsequent photos from the same days Chris is usually running around in her undies and nothing else.

Lynsey - you're right, that is totally ridiculous that boys shouldn't have dolls. A lot of boys grow up to be daddies - so why shouldn't they have experience with doll parenting as a child? A soft, slightly formed doll is a great gift for a three-year-old, and knot dolls are great crib toys for very little ones to cuddle and chew on...

I'm throwing in here an unabashed plug for the book Toymaking with Children by Freya Jaffke which not only talks about how to make toys for kids but developmental benchmarks for play.

Once again, Lynsey, I'm bummed that you're in the DFW area, because a Waldorf school sounds perfect for Riley. A boy in our school has mild autism and he does great both academically and socially. I can see where he might have trouble with Montessori as many Montessori schools today have gotten away from Maria Montessori's original goals and are really pushing pre-Kindergarten academics. The wonderful thing about homeschooling, though, can be that you can go at your child's pace and he doesn't have to be held up against anyone else's measure. That and you can tailor learning to your child. Instead of it being homeschooling, think of it as worldschooling... you can get out and incorporate any place you want into your lessons - woods, beach, park, sidewalk, etc... I am sure the other homeschoolers here at mdc will have good ideas for you.

Sprout is reminding me that I have to get out to my mom's house, which means I have to get dressed and leave shortly. I did manage to get back to sleep at 5 and sleep with a few interruptions until 10:45, so I guess I did get enough sleep in the end.

wish me luck

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#308 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 02:35 PM

I have an appointment today to see my Doc and am feling all nervous and agitated about it. She will be going over the results of the u/s with us in greater detail and I am really worried that they will have "discovered" something to monitor/ worry about. i really don't want to be faced with anything weird, but feel like i have no control or this. i think that is one onf the scariest things about pregnancy for me, the lack of control that I feel i have over everything. i like to be in control and i'm not. My body is changing, growing and demanding things of me.

So i have actually spent some time researching midwifery options in the area and feel like i am armed with options, should the Doctor freak me out today. I have started contacting "birthing from within" mentors and stuff. so i do feel like i am getting more prepared, but I must admit I am worried about my appointment today.

I am intending to discuss my birthing plan in more detail with her today and question her diagnosis of a weird pain in my leg. It seems to be getting worse and she told me amontha go that i seem to have a nerve that is compressed, which causes numbness in my skin. Well the pain feels like a bee sting and a bruise combined and i think it is getting worse.

So anyway, i need some good vibes sent my way. think of me and my family today....

nuerotically yours
Anna Banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#309 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 02:41 PM

Anna,
I'm definitely going to send some good vibes your way. I'm neurotic, too. I have these dreams at least two or three times a week that I've smoked cigarettes and had wine. I wake up totally freaked out, thinking it acutally happened. It must be my mind's way of telling me that I'm worrying too much about every single thing I do. But I think most of us do that. Good luck at your appointment!

Love,
Kim
#310 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 02:58 PM

Anna sending some good vibes your way!

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#311 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 06:02 PM

I'll be homeschooling Nicolas for K/1st next year. With new twins, it should be a grand adventure! Matt will help greatly, though. We joined our local homeschooling club this year and have dabbled some with kindergarten stuff... I just wanted to get a feel for things, borrow some curriculum, ask questions, visit other homeschooling moms, etc. It's been great. I'm really looking forward to next year!
#312 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 06:04 PM

Jen,
You look pretty feminine to me! I checked out the Yahoo! group... the kitties are so cute, too. I need to post some of me and my family (husband, dogs, and cats).

Lynsey,
I couldn't remember which one of the other mommies was from Texas but now I know since I saw all of the Bluebonnets in your pics!

All of the other pics were great, too. You all look like very nice families.

Love,
Kim
#313 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 06:16 PM

Jodie,
Congrats on 18 weeks! I am today also!

Jen,
Im bummed too. I really thought this Montessori school would be great. The teacher herself was taught by Marias son, Mario... Many of the 3 and 4 year olds up there are all ready reading and my son is nowhere near that. Perhaps as Waldorf schools get more well known one will pop up around here?

Anna,
So how did your appt go today? What all was said about the sono? Thats great that you will be able to take BFW classes. That should be a wonderful learning experience for you.
#314 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 07:11 PM

Thanks for all the well wishes and good vibes. It is so nice to know we have each other, isn't it?

Well i guess I let myself get all grumpy and stressy for no good reason. I think it was the weather, it is sooooo cloudy and yucky today. The appointment went very well. The u/s report seemed short and sweet. "Normal aparent fetus" no signs of abnormalities or anything.
We also had a very good talk with the Doctor about natural birth, avoiding any and all interventions possible. She recomended using the laboring tub, walking during labor and laboring at home for awhile before coming in to the hospital. She stated that she does not usually do fetal monitoring or artificially rupture the water. She only hooks patients up to IV after a particularily long and intense labor. Over all i felt reasurred that of the doctors available to us through our insurance, she "fits" our philosophies well.

However, i am still going to make an appointment to meet with a midwife or two and see how i feel after that. i don't want to end up birthing in a hospital because i was to lazy/ busy/ complacent to try and find another option.
Also, my sister and I had a really good talk about the possibility of hiring a doula to help protect our birth plan if we decide to give birth in a hospital. She has been a doula for a few births and seems interested in being my doula, however I think i would rather have someone "nuetral" in that position. Mary is so strong minded and opinionated about birth that I'm afraid she would "man-handle" Jerome and I, if something came up. she's my big sister, she's got years of experience at "bullying" me. Te he hee
Seriously though, I really want to feel like whatever happens, we were the ones making the decisions.

Also my doc wrote we a lovely vague medical excuse stating that I have sciatica (or something similar), and may need to limit the walking and standing i do. She kept it very open ended so that I can sort of figure out what i need to do to help manage the pain and still be "covered" legally. She also referred me to a physical therapist, and I plan on discussing this in greater detail with my regualr chiropractor. i just hope we can figure out something to help alleviate the pain. I have been just bearing it silently (or mostly silently anyway) but now i have a note that says I'm not just beinging a whiner....

Geez, why do these quick posts always end up being so long winded? I wish i wrote in my journal as much as I post online these days. I've been thinking i should try to print every post I write so i can save them for my kid to read someday. But i'm not sure where to even start with that!

Gotta skeedaddle
Anna Banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#315 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Lynsey - there wasn't anything special about the pins, I just like how the head "locks" down on that kind. I only used them until Jack was 6 months then I just shoved the prefolds in the bummis. I love the Aristocrats so much, just as Jack got older, they got too bulky. I'm sorry that Riley isn't having a great experience. I think so much of it is in the luck of who the teacher ends up being. I had a 4 yr old boy who was slightly autisitic in my preschool class a coule of years ago, and he did really well - but we worked with him a lot. I would really suggest starting to talk to your local school district now, because there is A LOT that schools are required to do if parents want their kids mainstreamed. My initial thinking is that if necessary, they would probably have to provide him with his own in class aide even if needed. Let me know if you would like some help researching this.

Anna - glad your appt went well. Sounds like you have a pretty cool OB if you do end up staying with her.

I had my appt this afternoon and all went well. Nice little heartbeat and squirmy little baby.
#316 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Reminder!!! Today's the deadline to sign up for the shower/swap.

I can't wait to start trying to decide who to pick!!!
#317 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 07:53 PM

Really! "picking" one someone to get something for seems like the hard part for me. that's why i am glad people are posting their addresses on the Yahoo group so i can send everyone pretty little cards and stuff!
I wish i was super ultra fabulously wealthy and could get everyone a full day a at a spa, with facials and body massages and fun stuff like that. wouldn't that be awesome!

I'm going home!
Good night everyone
Anna Banana

#318 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anna~ Glad your appointment went well. Your doc sounds great.
#319 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 08:27 PM

Hey Girls! Keeping up here takes up more time than it used to, I swear! Its awesome that we have so many mamas here and we are very chatty!

Anyhoo, my appt yesterday was great! I gained 5 pounds in the last month, bp and pee were great, measured perfectly and hb was nice and strong thru the fetascope. My dh even got to hear it thru the fetascope, he was really excited. It was still a little too faint for me to hear it thru the longer tube fetascope, but that's A-OK by me, I get the thrill of kicks and rolls all the time. My mw said our babe was pretty active since I am feeling it every day, said it was on the early side to be feeling it every day.

OK, running out of time, oh so quickly. Will post much more tomorrow, I am sure!

Anna & Sarah, glad your appts were good too!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#320 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 09:49 PM

Sarah-Could it be both heartburn AND acid reflux? I know I definately get the reflux thing--burning all the way up my throat, but burning in my stomach, too. I'll try the slippery elm, Jen, thanks, and ask my midwife about Prilosec if I can't find any relief from natural remedies.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with later/less movement in a non-first pregnancy. I don't know if my placenta is anterior, as I haven't had any u/s, but maybe that explains things.
#321 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 10:40 PM

Will someone tell me where to go post my address on the Yahoo Boards, pretty please?

Can't figure it out.

I think I have a bladder infection. You know how your bladder "hurts" when you've been holding your pee for awhile? That's what mine feels like suddenly all the time. No stinging or burning though. I suffered from recurring UTI's in my mid-20's, and this is not the same as those were, but it doesn't feel quite right, either.
I may just pop in to urgent care quick before they close.
#322 of 469 Old 04-21-2004, 10:42 PM

I need a little picture for "wrung out washcloth". My mom was totally successful in her shopping trip - bought two recliners and a ceiling fan and got us two receiving blankets at Lands' End - but HOLY COW AM I TIRED.

I think even Sprout is tired.

Glad that your appts went well Sheryl and Anna!

Kim: I am quite girly. Even when I put on Jo's "butch" clothing I still look girly.

Lynsey - cross your fingers for a Waldorf school in your area... but the whole state of Texas has one, count 'em, one Waldorf school. They seem to self-seed, somehow - where there is one, more end up growing, but where there are none, none sprout up (the midwest is SORELY lacking in Waldorf schools).

my bed calls me,

jen

#323 of 469 Old 04-22-2004, 03:24 AM

3under3,

Go here and request to be added to the private group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MDCseptmommies/

Then you can join in the fun.

Savannah
#324 of 469 Old 04-22-2004, 09:34 AM

Popping in to say Hello!
I'm hoping, hoping, hoping I'll have time to catch up later.
Sheryl, Anna, and Sarah-glad your appointments went well!
#325 of 469 Old 04-22-2004, 10:11 AM

Danielle - The address list is under the databases if you click on database in the bar on the left side.

Yay sleep. Only one trip to the bathroom all night!! I think...

j

#326 of 469 Old 04-22-2004, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Heather (boobykin) - Acid reflux is basically heartburn, except you have it usually every day, instead of just once or twice a week. Another difference too is that you usually get a lot of burping with acid reflux, at least in my experience. On my work computer I have the link to the study I mentioned, so I'll send it to you when I'm in again tomorrow.

Once we here from Caroline again, we need to see if we can have more than one moderator in yahoo, so when mamas take a few days off from the board, we can still get memberships approved.
#327 of 469 Old 04-22-2004, 10:47 AM

I am here, I am here......

I guess I have suffering from pregnancy depression, I just haven't felt like doing much, and posting seemed way too hard. Weird:

Anyway, all memberships have been approved that I recognized the name or they responded to the email. There are two pending members that I have no idea who they are and have not responded to two emails, so I am assuming they are not "one of us". Anyone else having trouble, email me at Carolinestocke@yahoo

I am glad everyone is good, I will shake this funk and get back in the swing of things....for some reason I am just blah.....My younger two fight nonstop, my oldest has been impossible, and I am having another. I am thankful for the kids and all that, it just is getting a bit overwhelming lately. I can't keep up with the housework, I can't keep uo with the laundry...seems I can't keep up at all. And the WHINING....for those of you that have two year olds, you know....for those that don't, wait. Don't think I just complain about my kids, I don't usually, but I want to pull my hair out!!

Plus I have a lovely yeast infection that won't go away (although I broke down and did the garlic thing, finally getting better).

Okay, I am done...for now...

Caroline
#328 of 469 Old 04-22-2004, 11:15 AM

Hey Caroline! It was nice to hear from you, hope you shake the funk off soon, sounds like NO FUN.
You might want to try taking some acidophalous (spelling?) i have it in tablets in my fridge. It has helped me to fight off some minor yeast infections withour resorting to creams and stuff. I bought it at a local health food store.

Well gotta go, no time to post
Anna

#329 of 469 Old 04-22-2004, 11:30 AM

Caroline,
That all sounds like a real bummer... I hope your afternoon is better.

Jen,
I don't remember if I told you that the only Waldorf school in Texas is just a short drive from my neighborhood. I just met some of my birth family this year and they send all three of their kids there. The kids love it and are so confident and intellegent. I'm starting to save already for Mina Rose's tuition! I've already checked out the website.

Last night I had some seriously sore ligaments. I guess the real stretching has finally begun. Oh, almost forgot... Stanley, my black and white cat, brought in a baby Blue Jay this morning. It's fully covered in hair and some tiny feathers but it's eyes are still closed. I made a little nest for it out of an old basket purse and tried to feed it a bit. I don't see any wounds so I hope the little guy (or girl) makes it. It's in my car. I have the windows open and will go to check on it every couple of hours or so. Maybe Wildlife Rescue will take it. I can do it if not.

Good baby vibes to everyone today!!!

Love,
Kim

expecting Mina Rose last week of August 2004
#330 of 469 Old 04-22-2004, 12:47 PM

Oy!
Well, I do have a UTI.
I knew it.
When I went in last night, they sent me straight up to Labor & Delivery. Then I had to be monitored for an hour. A drag, for sure, but I got some good magazine reading in!
And the nurse was super nice.
Anyways, I do have a UTI, and apparently I am extremely dehydrated. Weird....'cuz I seem to drink tons of water!
Maybe I'll go from 2 diet Cokes a day to 1, then substitute the one diet Coke for yet another huge glass of water. I'm already drinking about 4 or 5 20 oz glasses of water a day.

((((((Caroline-)))))))
Hope you get to feeling better soon! I suffer mild depression, and it got bad with the first trimester of this pregnancy, so back on my meds I went. I feel SO much better. But I know meds aren't for everyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page