It's April, Mamas!!!! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love all of Aviva Jill Romm's books. They are about my favorite on each topic. Off to look at Lynsey's new pics!
#362 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 05:36 PM

I just got back from a visit with the ob my midwife suggested. He was so nice. I am still 2cm and about 50% effaced which is the same as tues. night so I'm not progressing. The small tear in the placenta is still bleeding a bit but it is much lighter and hopefully repairing. I am only to get up to go the the bathroom and shower every 3rd day. Hopefully things will settle down and close up. He was very supportive of homebirth as long as babe stays in until 36 weeks. They won't start meds for preterm labor until 24 weeks, but meds only stop ctx they don't do anything about dilation. He also was going to talk to the nurse that told me that I had enough children and to let this one go(she also didn't want to give me an appt). I know that the size of my family is very controversial to some but to be treated like that was very offensive. Mentally I am feeling better after the ob visit, the drive and office visit brought on more ctx and light bleeding though.

My older children are so sweet. They gently talk to the baby and tell her that she is too little to come play with them. It is a girl, during the u/s to check the placenta the tech said "it looks like a girl, did you want to know?" We weren't going to find out. We have never had a u/s before this pg so every baby was a surprise until delivery. We are excited to be having another girl, we have to keep our pattern up!

I have let my kids be video junkies the last 2 days(we don't get any tv stations). They have been loving it but confused as we limit how many videos they watch per week, usually 1-2. Most of my books are still boxed up so dh has a list to pick up from the library, I reserved them online so he just has to show up. My oldest really likes workbooks but she is so independent she does her work and has me check it. Dh will be able to do a lot of work from home, just go in to teach classes from 2-7 so he is a lot of help. My sister, also a homescooling mom, will be able to come over while dh is at work.

Leigh- hugs and sticky baby vibes to you! I am having a hard time being on bed rest for the last 4 days I can't imagine already being on bed rest for as long as you have. The ob I went to said bed rest for at least 10 more weeks, until I am 30-31 weeks but to be able to deliver at home I need to keep babe in until 36 weeks. The next 15 weeks are going to be so long!! PM me if you want to keep in touch. I will start a thread in I'm Pregnant for bed rest moms too for support. Hang in there!

Have a great day ladies!!
Enjoy all those little kicks and thumps!!
Sarahb
#363 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 05:41 PM

Whaaaaa! boooo.....snif snif. today is going sooooooo slow! I am bored at work trying to find things to do, but am just too caught up for my own good. So i keep obsesively checking the boards here. not much happening. so then I tried to go see the new pics on the Yahoo group and can not connect for some reason.

They are burning the prairie grass out side my building today and the smoke is giving me a massive headache. And my stomach keeps gurgling super audibly. Seriously, it sounds like I'm farting and it's really just my guts. I wonder what that sounds like to the baby?

I just want this day to be over!

O.k whine fest over, note to self... it's not that bad! It will be over soon.
The bundle just kicked me... I guess he/she wants to say HI! to everyone.

Take care
Anna Banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#364 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I can't get into our group on Yahoo either, but I can get into all my others, so I emailed their support to let them know. I want to see the new pics!!!!! Plus, if we could get in, Anna and I could steathily work chat. BTW, anyone can IM me through Yahoo if they see that I am online. Yahoo will show whose on and no one notices if I get IM at the office. I have just totally messed around at work all afternoon. Plus I'm currently totally addicted to chewy sweet tarts - hope I don't start getting yeasty from all the sugar. :
#365 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 05:55 PM

Chumani
I'm glad to hear that you had such a positive visit with your new ob. I am so glad to hear you are feeling positive about your continued plans for homebirth. It's awesome that your kids are being so sweet.

I can't believe that technician was so tactless! "Did you want to know?" Man alive, how ridiculous! Well congratulations on your little girl, they are so fun to dress! I really want a girl but have a feeling it's a boy....

I sure hope your family continues to be supportive and helps you through this. It must be soooooooo challenging having a housefull of kids while stuck in bed!

Sending you universal energy and lots of love
Anna Banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#366 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 06:07 PM

Sarah B.,
How terrible about the nurse's nasty comments... probably a very unhappy woman to have said something like that. There's no doubt that this baby is just as important and special as the rest of your children. Baby sticking vibes to both you and Leigh! I'm glad you said something about her to the doctor. At my 3 month check up, one of the employees wrote ALL of my information down in the patient's chart who had an exam just before me. When I pointed it out she huffed and puffed, then said, "My bad!". Then she knocked over a trash can, bent down to pick it all up and did not wash her hands. And, finally, she brought me into a dirty exam room and cleaned it all up in front of me. Not as bad as your experience but it didn't leave a good impression.

Leigh,
Write all of the books you want... it's good therapy when you're worried.

Does anyone have experience with a Didymos sling? Just looking for a review. Oh, I got my first pregnancy breakout last week. It's strange because the pimples are all around my hairline. None on my face but actually on the scalp around my face. I didn't switch shampoos or anything and it's never happened before. So I'm assuming it's prenancy-related.

Love,
Kim

expecting Mina Rose , last week in August 2004
#367 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 07:07 PM

hey everybody,

i've been running around like crazy these last few days. i've been reading every day but haven't had any time to post.

the running around hasn't been so good for me or baby, i don't think. i've been getting pretty uncomfortable braxton-hicks every day. slowing down today has helped so i need to keep that up.

sarahb and leigh! ((((hugs)))) to you both. keep those babies in, keep those babies in! i just joined the yahoo group for hypnobabies (it is totally free- you don't have to buy any hypnobirthing products or anything) and she has free scripts, including one for keeping baby in. i will be thinking of you both and hope you keep posting here with us!

i all the new pictures! it is so great to put faces to the names. sheryl, i totally had you pictured as a brunette too, but now that i see your picture, it does look just like you. :LOL

sarahb, i cannot believe a nurse would have the gall (or the soulessness) to say such a thing to you. that makes me so angry. i'm very glad that the doctor was so much better!!

kim, i don't know much about the didymos, other than they are beautiful and very expensive. let us know what you find out.

lynsey, yay for paityn feeling better!

anna, what wonderful news about jerome's job!! congratulations. i hope you're going to celebrate!!

caroline, i took paxil (20 mg) throughout my pregnancy with noah, throughout the 22 months that we nursed, and i continue to take it during this pregnancy. i am such an anxious mess without it. seriously, my life was just one continuous panic attack so i feel confident that my babies are healthier with paxil than all the bad "natural" chemicals my brain makes. i am sorry to hear that you are suffering. it is such a scary, hopeless place to be. please know that we are all here for you in whatever ways we can be. and to you.

** everybody rememeber it's time to pm or email me your choices for the shower/swap**

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#368 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 08:06 PM

I'm signing off for the weekend, no more chatty Anna Banana posts till monday.... it will be fun to play catch up!

I am planning a relaxing sleep filled weekend. Hope to get some work done on converting the office into a guest bedroom for my mom (and other guests) lots to do....

Happy sleepy thoughts from me to you!
Anna Banana

#369 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 08:32 PM

Chrissy, I was totally cracking up out loud that you said I look just like myself. :LOL

Anna, have a great weekend and celebrate the new job for Jerome, yee-haw!

Leigh, welcome back. I'm so sorry you are going thru this, but really we are here for support and I know how much it means to be able to come here when its a hard time. It sounds like your baby really wants this, you can work together and make it happen.

Sarahb, I can't believe the u/s tech or the nurse! Ugh! So rude! My thoughts are with you and your baby, your kids sound so sweet.

Lynsey, that's my parents' back yard believe it or not, they are right on a bay. It is gorgeous! Its funny, we've got all this snow, but a few days ago it was in the 70's and the forecast is saying 70's again this weekend, and so it will go thru May, we usually get one last snow in June too... The Rocky mtns are crazy when it comes to weather!

Well, I better scoot, I need to track down my dh, he was supposed to be home a while ago. Happy weekend!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#370 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 08:58 PM

Hi mamas!!

Welcome back Leigh! I'm sorry you've been on bedrest for so long. I'm sending healthy baby and mama wishes to you two!

Chumani-Congrats on your girl! Still can't believe they didn't ask you first though if you wanted to know or not.

Anna-great news about your hubby!! Finances are not too fun to stress about, so I'm glad things are working out for you. In Gurmukh's book, Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful, she reminds us that babies bring all types of blessings/gifts into our lives.

Kim-I don't know too much about the didymos except that they are sooo pricey. I wonder if you could make one pretty easily.
I just ordered a Pea in the Pod pouch. I'm excited for that to arrive (not for awhile though). I'm also going to get busy and make another pouch that isn't fleece.
Also, tell me what you're going to do about the breakout...my cheeks have this constant problem lately. I have little red bumps that turn into little whiteheads. Nothing seems to work! I've tried tea tree oil, honey masks, clay masks...it's almost like it's irritated. ugh!

Well, I awoke this morning, looked in the mirror, and... a little pregnant belly!!! Now, it actually looks like I'm pregnant instead of putting on weight just because!

Off to do some reading...

Meredith
#371 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 10:27 PM

Chumani I am sending vibes your way. Bedrest for 15 weeks sounds horrible. I can't believe the nurse treated you so horribly. She doesn't have the right to tell you how many kids you should or shouldn't have.

I need to take a picture of my belly for you ladies. Strangers on the street keep asking me if I am due this week. I just tell them I have another 19 weeks to go. LOL! Apparently I have a big belly.

I am just sitting her posting and feeling "lil' bit's" kicks. This babe is a lot mellower than Christopher.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#372 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 11:28 PM

chumanisarah all I can say to the nurse who told you you had enough kids is

HOW FREAKIN' RUDE!

I hope she gets some serious discipline out of that!! How inappropriate and none of her business!!

Good luck with your bedrest and yours too, Leigh... I can't imagine lying around that long. And keep us posted, please... Leigh, glad you've come back.

Anna, I'm so happy for you and Jerome and his job for the summer! *happy dance*

There's something up with the yahoo boards, I think, two of the boards I moderate I can't see. btw, Steph was it you who is trying to join with the login stephbrian2001 ? And who is brobrz?

Went to the chiro *again* today and she keeps doing crazy things to my neck and my sacrum... my neck feels great but my sacrum is screaming. Same old pain that I had before. Sigh. Maybe it will get worse before it gets better. But I love the cranio-sacral and myofascial work. That's yummy. And the baby kicks her while she does the myofascial work on my belly...

My friend Sasha was over tonight with her 3-year-old Isabella and they dropped off a ton of stuff... unfortunately I can't see myself using most of the toys (plastic! bright colors! overstimulating! batteries! flashing lights!) but the nearly brand new car seat and the changing pad are super, along with some mama pads for postpartum. You can so totally tell that Isabella's mama is an ESL teacher, Bella e-nun-ci-ates so CLEARLY. And she doesn't talk fast, either. I've never met a 3-year-old who is so easy to understand. And I was pleased to find out that they've turned into a co-sleeping family. Bella's initiative. They're all happy with it.

We did a super-blitz-cleaning when we found out they were coming over and gee! what a difference 1/2 hour of teamwork made!!!

So it seems as though mdc might be down this weekend... if it is, see you all when it's up again

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#373 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 11:29 PM

Chumani,

I am glad to hear your appt. with the OB went well. Im sure it makes you feel better to know there is a Dr. who is on your side about homebirth... I cant believe a nurse would make such a heartless comment. That is incredible. I wonder how she would feel if someone said something similar to her. Its nice to know that the OB will talk to her about it though.

And the sono tech. - some people just dont think before they speak, do they? But congratulations on your girl! that is exciting!

I hope that things will continue to stay stable for you. Ill keep you in my thoughts.
#374 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 11:31 PM

ps: I'm going to hop over to the chat in yahoo and sit there for a while, I try to stay up til 10:30 on Fridays to hear my favorite radio show, Crap From the Past which is broadcast live on the web on KFAI , hint hint, if you're an old pop junkie like I am...

j

#375 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 11:37 PM

Kim,

No experience with that particular sling... I only have a maya wrap and wont be needing another one. WHen I bought that one I had NO idea there are so many brands to choose from!

Ive been having breakouts also, but it seems like they are clearing up a bit thank goodness.

Chrissy,

Thats crappy about the braxton hicks! Were you having them often? Ive been having maybe 1 a day, but thats all. Im surprised Im not having more since Ive read several posts about them.

Heather,

Thats too funny about people asking you if you are due soon. Wow. I def. want to see a pic of you!

Jen,

Once again, that is too cool that you are getting all this free stuff. I am jealous.
#376 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 11:41 PM

Paityns fever got really high again today - 104 degrees. Shes asleep for the night but I am worried about her. I finally gave her a fever reducer and a sponge bath and it came down to 100 but I am worried about tomorrow. I dont want to go through this again. I HATE when my kids are sick. I dont know what to do. I feel totally helpless and confused. We dont even really have a Dr. which is my own fault, but I dont take them to well baby checks since we dont vax and now our insurance has changed and I cant take her to the old Dr. that made appts on Saturdays.

Next week I am going to be on the phone making an appt. for an interview where ever I can get in, so we will at least have someone we can go to when we need them. I wish there was a naturopath around here.
#377 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 11:46 PM

Lynsey is she exhibiting any other symptoms besides the fever? I can bust out my homeopathy book for you and brainstorm with you, if you like.

#378 of 469 Old 04-23-2004, 11:59 PM

Jen,

No. Shes been is a great mood for having such a high fever. Ive asked her if anything hurts and she says no, she just says shes hot.

I have a Natural Healing book for Kids and it basically scared me saying a fever over 102 for more than a day needs immediate attention. I just dont know how long to let this go on. Ive always let their fevers stay high before and they usually are better after a night of that treatment. Ive always read that when you reduce the fever the illness will last longer....

Anyways, yes if your book says anything Id love to hear it.
#379 of 469 Old 04-24-2004, 12:31 AM

This book says that most people, adults and children can run a fever of up to 104 for several days with no danger. Over 105 is a serious cause for concern.

Beware of dehydration.

Do immerse a feverish but not desperately ill child in the bath from time to time to bring down the fever.

Do give sponge baths if fever is above 103/104 and patient feels uncomfortable (hot and sweaty). Sponge one limb at a time and re-cover it before moving on.

Keep a hot patient lightly dressed and a chilly child well-covered.

Don't encourage a sick child to eat. fasting enecourages the body further to eliminate toxic wastes. Encourage a hungry patient to eat lightly.

I started listing all of the remedies that have fever as a symptom, but there are so many. So far I know that Paityn is in a good mood, feels hot. How is sleeping? Eating? What kind of room does she like? Hot/cold/dark/light? Is she sweating? Does she like to be covered or uncovered? Let's start with that and go from there.

j

#380 of 469 Old 04-24-2004, 02:48 AM

Lynsey, have you read Dr. Mendelsohn's book "How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor"? It's got a really good section on fevers. Basically he says not to worry about the temperature unless the child is otherwise acting or feeling seriously ill, i.e., vomiting, respiratory distress, listlessness, abnormal behavior, or the fever lasts for more than three days, in which cases he advises seeing a doctor. He talks about how fever is the body's natural defense, and to bring it down with drugs is counterproductive, but for the child's comfort he suggests a tepid (not cool) bath. He stresses making sure the child doesn't get dehydrated, and goes against conventional wisdom to "starve a fever" by saying that nourishment is an important part of recovery from any illness. I can see his point, but I would add that probably what your daughter needs to eat is what she feels like eating. Our bodies are smart!
#381 of 469 Old 04-24-2004, 02:54 AM

Sarah B., ooh, evil, hiss, boo! I've had run-ins with poorly-behaved medical people too. This one woman, a nurse-practitioner, everything about my appointment with her was awful. First, she did a breast exam and totally mauled me, which developed into a plugged duct, grrr. Then she had the audacity to suggest (in a very rude manner) that my choice of birth control (condoms) would never work and that we really needed to get my husband snipped. Hmph! You can believe I never went back there. You have to wonder why these people ever thought they should have entered a healing profession!
#382 of 469 Old 04-24-2004, 11:01 PM

Jen,

I wanted to let you know that I got your PM today (Sat.). P woke up so I had to get off the computer and lay dwn with her and acidentally fell asleep.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to type all that out. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I wasnt online to read it. Today she hasnt had much of a fever, but looks like she feels bad and is very clingy. I will see how the rest of the weekend goes. Hopefully shell be good as new tomorrow.

Linda,

I havent read that book, but in my natural healing for children book it basically says the same thing. 104 just seems so high for my sweet little 2 year old though, maybe I got stressed for nothing, who knows...

Anyways, thank yall for the concern and Im sorry to have gotten so off topic!
#383 of 469 Old 04-25-2004, 02:51 AM

Leigh, we're glad you're back!!!! Please "burden" us as much as you need -- who else will understand what you're going through? (Better us than exasperated hubby...)

Just remember this time will seem SO short once the baby comes, so don't feel guilty about having to be in bed all the time. I'm so sorry you had to go through such a scary bleeding episode. Keep those feet up, and bring your laptop to bed so you can keep in touch with us! =O)

Jen, I'd forgotten to mention how valuable games are for learning; we use that a lot, too. When he was little, we played a lot of Uno and War card games for math (and colors), and we found a Junior Scrabble and Monopoly Junior, and several other favorites. Nearly every game has educational value!

G'nite all!
#384 of 469 Old 04-26-2004, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

I missed you all - two days without posts!!! Well, we are pretty excited because we are making an offer on the house today. We went to see it again yesterday, and I like it even more now. I really want it, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up since so much can happen in the process between now and closing. I did WAY too much cleaning and running around yesterday and started having some really strong braxton-hicks, so I'm just taking it easy today.

I had a dream last night that I had had an ultrasound and was reading through the report to find something out and then I came past the part that said the gender and I tried not to look at it, but of course I did. It said I was having a girl. Wishful thinking probably though. Of course, I wouldn't send a boy back though!

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
#385 of 469 Old 04-26-2004, 11:14 AM

Good morning ladies!

i hope everyone is well today! I had a lovely weekend. Very laid back, but also very productive. Got lots of cleaning and organizing done.
We have a tank of tropical fish and did a complete cleaning plus moved the tank to the living room. We bought some new stuff for the tank, including a jet that actually shoots a current through the tank. It has been really fun to see the fish reacting to the change in environment. We invested in live plants this time and really like the motion and energy it adds to the tank. Seriously, we sit and stare at the tank like it's aTV or something. The fish are so fun to watch!
Very active baby this weekend, have felt some monster kicks! Lately I have been starting to feel really connected to this child in a new way. It's very exciting and scary! Been reading alot about attachment parenting. I feel really honored and kinda overwhelmed about how important I will be to this child. Pretty heady stuff to think about!

Well I gotta go work now, boss is looming.....

Anna Banana

#386 of 469 Old 04-26-2004, 12:59 PM

Hey! where is everyone? I'm lonely here in cyberspace........

xoxoxoxoxox
Anna Banana

#387 of 469 Old 04-26-2004, 01:09 PM

Hi
I am new. My name is Julianna I am 25 and Due with my first on Sept 1st.
#388 of 469 Old 04-26-2004, 01:41 PM

Hey Julianna!

I'm glad to see you found us here in the Due Dates club! I am also expecting my first child. My husband and I haven't even celebrated our first wedding anniversary yet and here we have a baby coming! Pretty exciting, but scary too!

Hey sistermama, good luck with the house buying, keep us updated!!!!

momtobaldie I sure hope Paitlin is feeling better soon. good luck with her healing!

Later
Anna Banana

#389 of 469 Old 04-26-2004, 02:05 PM

I can't seem to figure out where or how to subscribe and unsubscribe to threads now. I can tell what threads I am susbscribed to but not how to change my preferences..... I prefer to be subscribed so i get happy little e-mail notifications. anyway, anyone with advice?

confusedly yours
Anna Banana

#390 of 469 Old 04-26-2004, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Why does the new pic of people standing holding upstretched hands look like something out of "Children of the Corn" to me? Anways, I finally got around to updating the due date list. Let me know if I'm missing anyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page