It's April, Mamas!!!! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 469 Old 04-28-2004, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, first and foremost, you all have to see this eBay listing. It ends in a few hours, so hurry, if you can. If you've already seen it, forgive me. If you don't think he's at all funny, forgive me too. But I was howling in laughter at it. It's eBay listing # 4146756343.

Sarah if you liked "You are your child's first teacher" you will probably also like "Beyond the Rainbow Bridge: Parenting the Child from 0-7".

I would really like to read "How to raise a healthy child in spite of your doctor" - I guess I should check if the Mpls public library has it.

I'm starting to LOVE my chiro appts. Not just because I love the myofascial and cranio-sacral work but because I am not standing around in pain in my tailbone anymore. It's GREAT! Today instead of adjusting 12 points on my sacrum she only had to adjust 2. So I feel like I'm making progress on top of it all. Oh, and she managed to encourage sprout to move off of my cervix! I was driving to my appt and I swear that kid was pushing a hand or a foot into my cervix! It didn't hurt, it just startled me... I've never had that sensation from that direction...!

The diaper fairy descended on us again today - 2 dozen Crickett's diapers. I dunno if they're cotton or hemp but they sure are cute. Plus a mesh-bag baby chewy thing that you put a piece of fruit in and baby can gum it without having to worry about choking. Yay diaper fairy!

Well, guess what, I'm off to another meeting. Slowly this week creeps by.

hugs,

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#422 of 469 Old 04-28-2004, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Jen - that ebay listing is so hysterical. I just emailed to a bunch of people. I can't believe the amount of that bid!!! Let me know if you can't find, "how to raise..." and I'll loan you mine. Its kind of something you read once and don't have to go back to that often. Girl - you are going to have to open up a store for all the stuff you are getting! I'm jealous! You must be real nice to have so many people want to give you stuff!
#423 of 469 Old 04-28-2004, 07:55 PM

I had the biggest freaking meltdown yesterday! I felt yucky, weird .... not myself and the headache just kept getting worse and worse. so I finally decided to call my hubby (who was substitute teaching at a school nearby) to ask him where the car was parked, so i could walk the 10 minutes there and drive home. Well he didn't answer the cell phone, so I left a message. An hour later I called the school and got a secretary to bring him a message. anyway, by time he called me it was only 20 minutes to his day ending... So I waited for him to come get me. It was cold out and i hadn't worn a coat. So 3 hours after i decided to go home he comes to give me the car, but he has a meeting on campus that will take another hour, so he tells me to just go home... he'll take the bus home later.

I decided to stop up at the grotto garden to see all the lovely little plants... haven't visited in over a week and am amazed at all the changes a week has brought to the garden. I wandered around up there for like ten minutes and then decide I'm ready to go home and get in bed. I walk up to the car and realize I have locked my keys in the car!!!!!!! ARRGGGHHHH! In a dress, No jacket, low 30's outside and I'm locked out of the car. So, i walk back down to campus... about a five minute walk. And start trying to call Jerome (he has the cell phone) I ended up walking all over campus looking for him and crying. 45 stress filled minutes later he finds me, after listening to my pathetic weepy messages, begging him NOT to get on a bus and go home.

I cried the whole way back to the car, hic-ups and everything. By time we got me home, it was game over, TOTAL MELTDOWN. I slept for about 12 hours last night and called in sick today, for the morning only. I decided to go to work for the afternoon.

O.K. so there's my pathetic sob story for the day... Now on to the good news.

We met with a really cool midwife today! We really enjoyed talking with her, her office is in her home, she was breastfeeding her toddler while we were there. We really seemed to click with her and her family. Her husband was out gardening in the yard.... she provides a birthing tub (I'm really interested in a water birth right now) Jerome was totally excited after the meeting.....

We didn't make a decision then and there, but...... really it is simply a matter of committing to paying out of pocket in order to birth at home. We have been learning to manage our money more responsibly and paying out of pocket seems kinda crazy. However, when you consider we were willing to pay over a thousand dollars on surgery for one of our cats recently (thankfully we didn't have to, but we WERE willing to).... Isn't our child's safe and natural birth worth a heck of alot more! and she offers a payment plan if you need it.

Besides, which the universe is providing for us. Chance has brought some unexpected money into our lives recently, for which we are very grateful. I try to remind myself to Listen To the Universe, and trust in our ability to make ends meet. so maybe the universe is trying to tell me something...

Anyway, there's my deep thoughts for the day.
I think i will go to JoAnne fabrics after work and look at maternity patterns. Jerome specifically requested that I buy quilting thread... last time his mom visited, she showed us both how to hand quilt. Which I suck at, but Jerome rocks at..... how ironic. He's very anal retentive and has strong hands, while i am very creative and impulsive, with too long of fingernails to hand quilt effectively. i guess it just goes to show that we each have our strengths that we bring to this marriage.

Rest well everyone and be happy!
OHHH! My! The "bundle" says hi too! BIG KICKS!

Anna Banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#424 of 469 Old 04-29-2004, 12:07 AM

Aren't those meltdowns diabolical?

Gosh Sarah you're nice to say I must be nice! I'm also very lucky, there are a number of babies in our school community right now... and lots of folks who cloth diapered. What surprises me most is the people who have 4 and 5 year olds and still have all of their nappies!

Funny quote from the mom who gave me the cloth dipes today: "Some of them have little stains... they're very thoroughly washed, but, well, Anya liked blueberries..."

The meeting was very ... meetingy. At least there was pizza with a strawberry-rhubarb pie and ice cream for dessert, in honor of my colleague's birthday. 38 years old! Tomorrow's meeting is 4 hours long - 1 until 5 - I bet it will go late, too - I don't know how I am going to sit that long. Sprout doesn't like all that sitting and kicks me quite a lot the longer I sit. Maybe they will let me have the rocking chair.

It's a good thing that April is almost over... this thread is 22 pages long and we are the most prolific of any of the due date clubs! Are we just chatty, or are there an inordinately large number of Sept babies?

I gotta go to bed before I fall over.

j

#425 of 469 Old 04-29-2004, 01:57 AM

Sarah, probably it is too early to worry about posture, I guess I just feel like being extra vigilant! I would be THRILLED to not have back labor. So you had it too, huh?

I haven't read "You Are Your Child's First Teacher" but I have read "Special Delivery," and think it's one of the better midwifery textbooks. I especially like the section on complications. Although, I also recently saw her video, also called Special Delivery, and was really horrified at how the births were managed -- mother on back, and midwife s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g that perineum as the baby crowns. Ugh!

Anyway, another book recommendation along Waldorf lines (but *not* Waldorf) is Seven Times the Sun by Shea Darian. All about creating family rituals. Really beautifully written and inspiring. Here's a favorite quote from it:

"Work is love made visible. Our children will see it and sense it through the joy and meaning we find in our daily tasks. And they will be nurtured through these small gestures of compassion... for the way we come to small things shows our reverence for all things."
#426 of 469 Old 04-29-2004, 10:13 AM

Anna, that sounds like a really awful afternoon. I am sorry...I have had only a couple this time around (the most notable being the 15 minutes of sobbing because we were out of OJ), but I really feel for you. It is funny to look back on though! Wait until you are nursing the baby, then things going REALLY wacko!!!

I have the best "I appreciate being a Mommy" moment...I went to a Jewelry party demonstration at my neighbors house last night. I was only gone for about an hour or so, and my husband was here with the kids. When I walked in, my two year old came RUNNING to me and said "Mommy you are back...I missed you Mommy, I love you so much" and she sat on my lap and hugged me for 5 minutes. Makes me want to get a job and get that reaction every time I come home!! (Well, not really, I am too lazy to get a job)....

Hope everyone is well...Jen, enjoy those gnome deliviries!!

Oh, my baby shower was set...yeah!! This will be my FIRST baby shower, fourth baby.....I had moved right when the first two were born, and with my last she was 4 weeks early and was born on the day of my shower, then spent two months in the NICU, so I missed it. I am so excited. I never had a wedding or anything either, so this is the first grown up party helod for me (and the baby of course).

Caroline
#427 of 469 Old 04-29-2004, 11:05 AM

Hi everyone!

I wanted to say welcome to our two newest September mama's Karen and Linda. i hope you have found your way over to our monthly thread! I am always glad to see more experienced mommies joining up to hand out advice to a newbie like myself! Linda, can't wait to hear more about New Zealand, I have ALWAYS wanted to visit.

Caroline, I hope the baby shower is wonderful, when is it planned for? Is anyone else planning a blessing way party? I am trying to help organize one for a friend of mine who's due in late June.
I am intending to have a blessingway, and Jerome has started planning a blessing bag, he intends to construct it out of naturally (tanned / cured?) hide and is gonna use my hair in constructing cordage. His step dad is a nature guru and is a great source for using natural resources, authentically. He and Jerome's mom have land in northern wisconsin and live off the land. Gathering native plants, hunting with bow and arrow, some gardening but they strive to leave as light of an imprint on the land as possible. Pretty neat, but kinda far out.....

Jen, good luck with all those meetings... I have one this morning, but it is only an hour. how wonderful that the people around you are so generous with you. I recently had one of my absolute favorite professors offer me her 3 favorite maternity dresses. It makes you feel so appreciated doesn't it?

Julia, I'd love to hear more of those book suggestions. I am planning on picking up Ina May Childbirthing book ( the newer release, not spirtitual midwifery) was recomended by the midwife we met yeterday.

Well guys gotta go, work is calling..... Anna... Anna....
Later
Anna Banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#428 of 469 Old 04-29-2004, 01:40 PM

Oooh, I'm going to make this 1000 posts for our September group!
#429 of 469 Old 04-29-2004, 01:41 PM

And this one should be 1000!
#430 of 469 Old 04-29-2004, 01:45 PM

Anna are you feeling better? That was a sad afternoon. That kind of thing has happened to me before when I wanted to leave early and everything conspired against me doing so. That was even before being pregnant when the hormones were normal.

So, after reading all of Jen's gnome gift stories, I found myself saying, "I have friends that do things like that. I will just relax and see what the universe has to bring me."

This week I have recieved an offer of a rocking chair and a co-sleeper. YAY! The two things I was fretting about being able to afford. I'm a big believer in telling the universe what you need and then making yourself open to receiving it - the combination being very important.

Also, I mentioned decorating a 'nursery' - well I found this site: www.wallnutz.com (US) or www.dreamroomz.com (Can) and I'm going to paint the sandcastle mural. I'm excited. Although I have been doing sewing projects - sewed a fleece bunting and working on a few wetbags and a changing pad, I am eager to let my creative juices flow and get out the paintbrushes. Of course it's trace and paint by numbers, but still it should look good.

We're having a birthday party for dh this weekend. It's wine and cheese and I've already started making the desserts. Anyone ever heard of 'dulce de leche'? I made some...I think it should be called sweet madness! Ultimately it will be part of Dulce de leche cheesecake squares. Yum! I got the recipe off of epicurious.com if anyone is interested.

Have a great day,
Julia
#431 of 469 Old 04-29-2004, 01:48 PM

I'm all about the cheap thrill!

We ARE chatty!

Maybe we are just a group that really clicked from the get-go, ya know?
I love it!
I can't wait to meet you Jen, and Badomama...when will you arrive in Mpls? Will you two be attending the MamaGathering 2004?
Anyone else?
If anyone else wants to come to the MamaGathering, and wants a free place to stay, you are welcome here...we have space! You and yours must be non-smoking, though.

(((((((Anna))))))))
Here's to better, non-melting days!
#432 of 469 Old 04-29-2004, 03:18 PM

Well, i'm not melting down today (yet) but i am just not myself! I wonder if I've got some sort of bug or something. I just really want to go lay down....

Part of the problem is that I really just hate my job. I always have hated this job and felt "stuck" in it. My job pays Jerome's tuition,which is pretty freaking critical right now. I was hoping to transfer to the landscaping dept here at the college, this spring, but now that I am pregnant..... obviously not an option. So, here I am resenting my stupid indoor, computer bound, mail sorting, photocopier fixing, stamp selling JOB!

I try to stay positive and remind myself that at the end of this summer, I get to be at home with my new baby. I am really looking forward to next spring at the Farm....

But it doesn't change the fact that I am unhappy now. Man! It's really hard to Listen To The Universe when you're head is full of grumpy complaints! I really need to shake this funk off!

Grumpy pants Anna

#433 of 469 Old 04-29-2004, 03:52 PM

Chit-chat-chatty-chat, that's us! I'm going to make senior member status during this pregnancy. I bet some others will too!

Jen, what a wonderful bounty you have been receiving. If you get lots of extra stuff, you can always feel free to "gnome" us! About the hip pain, I have been getting it from sleeping on one side or the other for long periods of time (no numbness, but would bet they are closely related). A pillow between my knees has helped a TON. I had no pain for several days after I got my massage last week (she worked pretty deep in my hips). My mw suggested more fluffy support on the bed top, like an egg crate mattress. We weren't into the foam thing and decided to splurge and get a feather bed. We've had it for a few nights and it has been really nice, no pain to speak of, but it has only been a few days. My massage therapist suggested self hip massage with tennis balls. I haven't tried it yet, but imagine that it will be helpful if I can figure out how to do it well. I am trying to commit to a massage a month for the rest of this pregnancy, my mt even offered me a discount if I do! Can't pass that up!

Hey, is that ebay thing the guy with the wedding dress? That was hysterical, I can't believe he's getting so much for it!

Anna, I'm so sorry about your meltdown! I would have fallen apart too! I totally understand about not liking the job too, I wore the "golden handcuffs" for several years until they laid me off, I am so much happier now even tho our money situation leaves plenty to be desired, my day to day happiness means so much more than my bank account and credit card balances. Just remember there is freedom on the horizon! I had an emotional outburst the other day, I was listening to some speeches from the Reproductive Rights March in DC that was last week, I was just bawling as I heard these women speaking so passionately. There was a chant "keep your laws off my body" I completely lost it, it just moved me and really touched a part of me that I'm not sure I always honor.

Meredith, that was a really beautiful dream!

Ack, I have too much to say!

I have skimmed and read sections of the Mendhleson book and want to buy a copy. I liked what I read (which is most of) Birthing From Within. My mw is going to lend me the new Ina May book after one or two other mamas who are due before me. I really liked Our Babies, Ourselves, I am now reading Childbirth Wisdom both are centered around different cultures practices and traditions of pregnancy, childbirth and child care. Really makes you see how out of the ordinary modern western practices actually are.

OK, I want to mention this. I think I got a summer job. I had an interview on Tuesday that went really well and the interviewer pretty much told me she wants to hire me. Its a summer day camp counselor position (full time). It will end 2 weeks before I am due. It sounds like lots of fun, playing games, field trips, hiking and crafts with kids all summer. Its close to home (yay!), I really do need the money (starts right when my unemployment will run out), and got me all excited. But I woke up in the middle of the night after the interview worrying, I didn't tell them that I'm pregnant (I am not terribly obvious if my clothing is loose and you don't know me). I know that legally I don't have to and they "can't" discriminate against me because of it, so it shouldn't matter, but I had a feeling of guilt like I should have. Well, they will figure it out quickly enough, and it really shouldn't be a problem as I have been very healthy, active and low risk so far, so I'm telling myself to not worry about it. I think another part of my worry is that I am afraid of taking too much on, as I have no idea how I will feel in my 3rd tri. But I also feel like this was presented to me, and as Anna always says, I should just listen to the universe, look at how perfectly the dates will flow in my life, it fills the gap of no income for me, and will keep me active and occupied all summer. Well, I just had to purge all of that.

I'll shut up now. Even though I could write more and more.....

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#434 of 469 Old 04-29-2004, 07:48 PM

Very chatty! I can't possibly catch up now. Please forgive me for not responding to something crucial. I will say a potential congrats to Sheryl on the "possible" new job. That sounds fantastic!

We are now on the Salt Lake leg of our homecoming, my family home. Apparently I've become somewhat "huge" over the last few weeks. Everyone heads straight for the belly and want to see it naked. I've gained about 8 lbs since leaving Tanzania! I love food again. Jeri is kicking around like crazy. It feels like he/she is doing laps in there. I've also started to experience the excessive advice phenomenon. How is it that people (many of whom have never had a baby) feel perfectly comfortable telling me that I can't ride a bike, lift my own backpack, or that I have to eat something more than vegetables? Oh and also, to my cloth diapering choice the reaction is always, "don't you know how many times they poo?" I wonder how many times I've done that to others...

3under3-what is the MamaGathering? Sounds interesting. I'll be back by May 21...and we already found an apartment in Powderhorn Park neighborhood!!!

Jen-did you say that you know how to knit a Waldorf doll body? Or if you didn't say that, do you think you could figure it out and help me? I have this lovely soft blue acrylic that would make a great body.

I fulfilled another long-time craving at the knitting store today with the super support of dh. Together we picked out a pattern and yarn for a blanket--all blues and greens. The knitting expert said, "it must be a boy." But no, mom and dad just like blues and greens so that's what it gets. I'm going to start immediately.

I hope everyone is well, or if not they are hanging in there. I send hugs to the two women on bedrest. I tried to post last week but it wouldn't work for some reason.

off to knit,
Steph
#435 of 469 Old 04-29-2004, 10:48 PM

WHERE'S THAT WASHCLOTH ICON!!

Anna you are awesome!! Thanks for the card

The faculty meeting today went for .... drumroll....

SIX FREAKIN' HOURS!!!

The outcome: music program slashed, cut down to one Kindergarten, 3rd and 4th to have some combined classes, German program out for next year while I'm on leave (sigh), and the worst of all, 6th grade probably cut. We backpedaled on that pending a meeting with the parents who would be affected. But jeepers creepers, folks... that's a long time to sit. Or, if you're me, sit, stand, go to bathroom, sit, rock in rocking chair, stand, go get food, sit, etc...

Sheryl, I'm sure with how active and adventurous you are that you will not have a lot of problems being active into your third trimester. 2 weeks before you're due you might feel awfully big, though. As for the hips, I started using an egg crate mattress pad and it's helped. I used to have a feather bed and loved it, but I fear for how warm it would be right now.

Danielle - I'm not sure about MamaGathering. I read about it and the thought of it kinda makes me tired right now - I'm not feeling all that radical right now - but maybe you can talk me into it.

Diaper Fairy dropped by again today... 2 dozen prefolds and a mess o' covers. We are running out of space for all of these.

Foof. I'm too tired. Off to bed. I even scrapped out on Kindergarten tomorrow morning for an extra hour's sleep.

Sydney sends purrs, and Sprout sends kicks -

I just send love,

j

#436 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the card Anna! I was having a bad afternoon and that chered me up.

I went to the doctor yesterday, everything is just fine. I wasn't able to hear the heartbeat but the doctor was.Yay! I've started noticing Vaysh moving around and kicking some. It's a really weird feeling.

I got the strangest phonecall yesterday. Someone calling from a collection agency about a bill from January of '99. She was so nasty and I really had no clue what she was even talking about, or who, and I've never received any sort of notice from anyone. I was finally able to figure out who the doctor was, and they never ever sent me a bill or even told me I had a balance due so it's all very confusing.

My husband is off all next week, yay! (well, sort of, it's a professional development week and he's supposed to work on writing course materials and stuff.) We've realized though just how much work we need to do on the house before September. Ack! It's a bit panic inducing.

I need breakfast....I wonder if I should make a nice pot of decaf or go out and get a latte or something......oh decisions decisions! Have a great day everyone!

Lazuli
#437 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 10:48 AM

only a small post to say:

leg cramp OWIE!!!!!!

happy friday to all

j

#438 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 11:36 AM

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#439 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 11:40 AM

Argh! Lost my whole post.

Long story short:

Puked this morning.

Had a horrible dream that the baby died.

Sheryl, the job sounds awesome!

Anna, the midwife sounds great! Listening to yourself and the universe is good, wish I woulda done it with my pregnancy with Noah.

Better go,

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#440 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 11:58 AM

Oww Jen, I got my first leg cramp last night...yuck. They say eat more bananas, but that never helped me before. I drink a glass of milk before bed, that seems to ward it off, last night I didn't and sure enough....

Lazuli, we have a brand new house, and I can't beleive the amount of work that we have to do. Right now the baby's room (a sitting room off our bedroom) does not have floors or walls....My husband better get moving!!
Although the baby won't use the room for a while, I don't want all that dust around with an infant.

Steph, safe traveling!! Is that you who wants to join the yahoo group...stephbrian or something like that?? Enjoy your time at "home"...

Adventuregirl, are you sure you are going to able to take on a job at that time? I was never one of those woman who would have been able to work right up until my due date!!

I am jealous of those of you that get to meet....Savannah, I will be in Atlanta the last week of May.....if anyone plans on being in the Philly area.....

Caroline
#441 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 11:59 AM

Chrissy, I had the same dream last night....odd....

Caroline
#442 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 12:06 PM

Hey everybody!

I hope everyone is feeling well today, that any aches, pains, cramps, nausea and other general misery passes quickly and easily.

Hey Steph it's good to hear from you, glad your travels are going well, We look forward to having you settled again so we can hear from you more often!

Lazuli enjoy that time with your hubby! It seems like you haven't got to see him as much as you would like to lately. Give him lots of love and kisses while he's there to be showered with affection!

adventuregirl good luck with the potential job! I hope it is a satisfying experience, i'm sure you are capable of doing it justice.

3under3 what this Mamagathering about???? I might be interested in joining you guys if you decide to go.... (If only to meet you face to face!) I used to live in MPLS and have some friends and family there. It's always fun to visit! Although traveling sucks!!!!!

I've got some new books to read Ina May's childbirth (Jerome got it for me yesterday) and our own copy of Birthing from within. I also picked up a bunch of great simple patterns for maternity clothes and am hoping to get started sewing while my mom visits in about two weeks. Never had much success sewing from patterns, but didn't ever have this much of a need / reason to do so. Am quickly running out of comfortable clothing!!!

P.S. If anyone has yet to join the Yahoo group, I wanted to encourage you to do so. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MDCseptmommies/ It is fun to see pictures of each other. Plus if you post your address in the database we have started there.... then you'll get cards in the mail from ME!!! It was so fun to send cards out, I've been eagerly awaiting hearing that someone got their card in the mail. Gnome gifts are fun! Thanks for the great idea Jen!

Love to all! Especially those bed bound mama's counting the days to freedom. I think of you every day.

Anna Banana

#443 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 12:29 PM

Go see mamagethering.org for info. It is July 16-18.

Basically, each year there is a "mama conference" that is sort of started by mama's here, though I think it was originally started by mamas on the former Hipmamas boards, and held in a different US location every year. Last year it was in L.A., and this year it is being held and organized here in Minneapolis by some great mamas that I know here in mpls.
I have never been to one, but of course I have to go to this one!
Lots of workshops, guest speakers, fun, concerts, etc.
And if you've never been to our fair city, it would be a nice time to come!

Jen-
To be honest with you, I'm not sure I will have the energy to be super gung-ho about it come July, but I'll still be there anyway! I'm mostly excited to just meet other mamas.

Oooh, Dulce de Leche goodies! (I forget who made those)
We have Dulce de Leche cheesecake at work.

I had leg cramps with the 1st pregnancy, but none thereafter, thankfully!

Anyway, I hope you all have a lovely weekend!

Danielle

P.S.-
Anna- thanks for the sweet May Day card!
#444 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 01:14 PM

I wonder what it is with bad dreams lately. Last night I dreamed my 2 year old fell off a bridge into a river and we couldn't get her. It was the most horrible feeling. I just hugged her when I woke up.

I have an ultrasound tomorrow, that is if it's not affected by the hospital workers' strike. It's a private clinic, so I think it'll be alright. I'll have to call. I wonder if I'll be able to find out the sex. They've never told me with my previous pregnancies. Maybe I'll have to ask. It would be cool to know that way (I usually seem to know anyway, but it would be neat.)
The last ultrasound-which was for dating because the midwife couldn't wrap her head around me using my ovulation date instead of my last period. (The ultrasound said exactly what I said-funny about that.And then on forms, she wrote my due date according to ultrasound results. What about believing that I know my body. I hate the way midwifery had changed since it became legal here.It's become more medicalized.
My birthday's Dec. 12th. The baby was conceived on that day, and apparently, the ultrasound tech's b-day is that day too. It was the first male ultrasound tech I've run into, but he had a very gentle, quiet personality.
I wish I was more chatty and better able to keep up to the messages. I'm not great at making friends, and I'm not doing too well around here. Too self conscious I guess.
#445 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 01:35 PM

I'm not so chatty here either, but I still enjoy checking in.

Anna, thank you so much for the card!
#446 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 01:40 PM

Hey Wardermom it's nice to hear from you! Please don't feel self concious on our account not everyone is as gregarious as i am, for example. sometimes I'm embarrased by how freaking LONG my posts get! I think to myself, Jeez who wants to hear all this stuff about my life???? but i enjoy sharing my thoughts and like feeling connected to a group that is bigger than myself.

I've also had some very powerful dreams lately, not about death but illness. I've had 3 dreams about comforting / holding / nursing a sick little girl. The cool part is that I feel like I am comforting the child, even though it's scary that the child is sick.

P.S. Wardermom, let us know if you do find out the baby's sex, it's fun for those of us who are avoiding finding out to get the vicarious thrill of hearing about baby gender!

Time for my lunch break! Hungry monkey!
Anna Banana

#447 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 02:27 PM

Hi Melanie...it is actually embarressing how much time I spend on here lately! I am neglecting my kids. Actually, now that the weather is nice they are outside and don't need me as much! And I am LAZY. Although I have made dinner the last three nights....Let us know how the ultrasound goes!

Anna, you should be working....

Caroline
#448 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 02:27 PM

Well, we had our 19.5 week prenatal exam today, and it was a terrible waste of 2 hours, really.

Baby is growing well, my kidney function is still on the charts, which is great, and the bleeding is ongoing but in control.

We had ultrasound #6 today, and were hoping to find out gender but after 40 minutes of trying to convince the most modest baby in the world to uncross it's ankles and spread it's legs, we gave up.

The sonographer literally had me rolling onto each side and scanning that way....sitting up and scanning...laying back down and scanning. No matter what we did, the baby would move around, but always with legs crossed.

Emily did the same thing. We had double digit #'s of ultrasounds with that pregnancy and never knew gender till she was born. She was actually born face up, in her bag of waters (looked a bit like lady of the lake when her head came out, all black hair floating around in the amniotic sac), with her legs crossed like she was relaxing on the beach.

The tech said she'd give a 60% chance this one is a girl, but it was REALLY impossible to tell for sure.

In the end, nothing really changed. I'm still on bedrest till 30 weeks at LEAST. My placenta "may" be moving up off the cervix, but who knows at this point if it will move enough to prevent needing a section.

~L
#449 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 02:58 PM

Horray for a good progress report Leigh! I'm sorry it felt like a waste of time, but it's good to know you are hanging in there! How funny that your little one wouldn't uncross those legs! I guess it wants to surprise you!

And yes Caroline, i really should be working....... but my boss is out of the room and will be for like a half an hour. Plenty of time to "sneak" in a quick post or two,.. or three...

Naughty Anna Banana, breaking the law... breaking the law...law, law...

Later

#450 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All - I have had two busy but great days. We found out on Wednesday night that the offer was accepted on our house, so now we just get through the inspection and we should be moving by the end of May. DH works at Home Depot and they are having a friends and family event this weekend, so we are going to buy ceiling fans and paint at least. I'll put a pic of the house up on Yahoo after I post this.

Plus last night my organization had its annual meeting. Even though it all fell apart last week, we pulled it off and it came out great. We raised a bunch of money, are kids were stars and everyone had a good time. If anyone is interested, my website is ESTEEM, Inc.

Jack and I had the best morning. My mom has a little side patio off her kitchen where I have a bunch of Jack's outdoor stuff. We went out with a huge stockpot full of water and some little cups and he spent over an hour filling and dumping water while I got to read and sun my legs. Of course, I had to refill the pot about 10 times. But, it was one of those grand relaxing mornings when all is right in the world!

I haven't posted since Wed, so forgive me while I go ON and ON. Last night I was meditating cuddling Jack before I fell asleep. I am a horrible meditator (my mind is so loud and fast!) but I do try. Afterwards I was praying over Jack, calling angels to him, you know, all the things mamas who aren't particularly religious before kids do once they have them. "Guard this baby, etc., etc." I was in that weird space between wake and sleep when I the most unexpected and unbidden vision of a young man and woman. The boy was about 20 and the girl was about 18. When it struck me, that's Jack and that's his sister. It all happened so fast and I wish I had more time to study it. I was thrown off, because the boy had brown hair, but it makes since that Jack would, since dh and mine both darkened considerably as we grew. So, strong girl vibes coming from me.

Okay, I'm going to break this thing up, because it is getting way to long.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page