It's April, Mamas!!!! - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#451 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jen - what was the name of that making toys book you mentioned a while ago? With reading "You are...1st Teacher" I'm feeling all gung ho.

Leigh - I'm glad your appt went okay, but sorry you couldn't find out the gender. When you want to know, you want to know! With Jack, the only reason I even had an ultrasound was to find out (bad me) and he almost didn't let us. Then I would have felt really stupid. I'll do some placenta moving visualizations for you!

Anna - thanks for your sweet card. It was such a nice surprise in the mailbox today. I love reading your posts because you have such an enthusiastic tone and your spirit really comes through in your words. I'm with you on the job thing - but we do what we have to do.

Steph - glad to see you back!!!

Love to all - hope everyone has a fun weekend.
#452 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 04:29 PM

Thanks for being so supportive!

Anna-I wish I wasn't burdened by "social anxiety". It really gets in the way. I guess that staying home all the time homeschooling the children and not really "getting out", or dealing with many people hasn't been all good for me. I don't have to socialize much. I need to try to get out of that pattern. I've been taking the kids to the library story time, and we've been getting out to church sometime lately. Hopefully that'll help.

The ultrasound place just called. My appointment is still on for tomorrow morning. Yeah! It's just so darn uncomfortable having to pee so badly for so long though. I cheat and don't drink as much as they ask.

Caroline-Sometimes I feel like that too, like I'm neglecting the kids. I feel lazy a lot of the time, like I just don't have enough energy to get anything done-my house can attest to that. I'm trying to get a bunch of cleaning done today, so it's half decent for the weekend.

Leigh-I'm glad you're doing relatively well in your situation. It must be so hard-very stressful. I'll be praying for your placenta to move up and out of the way.

Sarah-That does sound like a nice morning. It's hard to relax outside with 6 to keep track of. Oh well, it's my choice to have so many.
#453 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 05:16 PM

Melanie,
I'm sorry about your bad dream, those really stink. Sweet dreams to you tonight.

Jen,
I thought of you Wednesday when I bought a really cool knitting book. The author recommends Knitting in Plain English. Anyway, It's called Stitch 'n' Bitch and it has a bunch of cute patterns for purses, sweaters (even a small dog sweater), and such.

In other news, my husband happened to be at the house this morning when my next door neighbor stopped by. My neigbor had thrown a bunch of dirt and flowers on my Plymouth (it's a '57 and one of my projects). He then banged on the door and, after my husband answered, the neighbor got right up in his face and told him that he was tired of my cats stomping on his flower bed. He said that he wanted us to get rid of them or he would! He said he had tried to be a good neighbor about it but couldn't take it any longer. My husband told him that we would try to work out a solution but said that we were NOT getting rid of our cats. My husband also pointed out that the people on the other side of him have cats as do both of the neigbors across the street from him and behind him (essentially everyone in my neigborhood EXCEPT for my neighbor has at least two dogs and a cat). He said he would trap them all and send them off to the pound. He has never, ever complained about the cats before. Not once! And we see him in the yard all of the time... he had plenty of opportunity. He just bought the house 6 months ago. The previous owners had flowers, too, and always told me how much they enjoyed the cats. I miss them! Why did he have to approach it in that manner the first time he complained? I cried when my husband told me because I can't bear the thought of someone hurting my cats or even having to give them up. Anyway, I got on-line and found something called Catstop. It essentially keeps cats out of flower beds/off property by sending out a high-pitched noise if it detects a cat. Humans can't hear it so I'm thinking about ordering a couple for HIS yard. At my expense, of course. When I deliver the Catstops to him, I'm also going to tell him that if I ever find dirt on my car again, I'll return it in the same way. How come people have to get so worked up before even trying to find a solution? Can't anyone be civil anymore?
Anyway, I hope everyone feels free to let me know what they think about the situation, the Catstops (as far as them being cruel, etc...), and anything else. I would keep them inside but two of them were farm cats before I got them and they cry, cry, cry to go outside whenever I keep them in.

Just trying to keep my cool (pregnancy hormones aren't helping),
Kim
#454 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 06:22 PM

Wow, how TOTALLY cool is that that we have a mama on our board who has a car as a project? And who knits? I am in awe!! Sorry about the neighbor, though, that is very sad. For sure don't let the cats out overnight, that's a recipe for disaster. Are your cats microchipped? That's the first thing that pounds and humane societies check for when animals are brought in. If they do detect a chip they call the owner on the chip. Might bring you some peace of mind... oh and I think that Stitch-n-Bitch is very cool, I also like the one that has urban in the title, like "The Urban Knitter" or something like that. It has a pattern for a knit bikini in it! (Not like I'd wear it!)

Melanie - it frustrates me too that the medical system does not trust women to know their bodies and their dates. I know the exact date I conceived (the day before you, Dec 11) for obvious reasons - it was my insemination date and I know I ovulated that day because I could feel it. But they seem bound and determined to go by my LMP which is stupid because my LMP was 27 days before I ovulated! And what's oddest is that they can't get their brains around this! I don't get it.

Sarah CONGRATS ON YOUR HOUSE!!! That's so exciting! The title of the book is "Toymaking with Children" and it's written by Freya Jaffke, who is regarded worldwide as the ueber-ober-high-Waldorf-Kindergarten guru of all time. The child development and play stuff in the intro is very interesting - don't skip it just for the patterns and instructions!

Danielle - I'll certainly think about mamagathering. I know I'll miss the early registration deadline but I guess I can scrape up $14 somewhere.

We're off to the chiropractor...

xo j

ps: will write about my last day of 1st and 2nd grades later. SO SWEET, nearly cried... *sniff*

pps: no diaper fairy today, but a mama clothes fairy. New maternity capris, yay!

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#455 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 07:13 PM

Hey all!

Jen you must really have your Mojo Working! People seem to love giving you stuff! It must make you feel so appreciated....

Sarah congratulations on the exciting new home. I bet you are really looking forward to getting settled into your new nest. I hope you get lots and lots of help with the move. And ESTEEM loooks like a really special and worthwhile endeavor. It must be really fulfilling to put energy into something like that.... I've been thinking about trying to volunteer in a community here in Madison that really needs people that care. However, i find myself feeling pretty intimidated by the enormity of need in that area, and worried about "fitting in". Also, there is a certain safety / comfort issue for me... but hey! it's good for us to step outside our usual comfort zones and meet different people. so, we'll see....

Kim, i'm really sorry your neighbor chose to vent his venom all over you guys.. Maybe you are the most approachable people in the neighborhood and he felt like he could get away with bugging you more than anyone else. To a certain extent, i sympathise with the frustration of having animals in the garden. My cats bite my indoor plants sometimes and it makes me totally CRAZY! You should have heard me screaming at my cats when i found the leaves of the orchid plant Jerome got me for Christmas all chewed up! And I love my kitties...

Lots to do this weekend and next week to get ready for our new King Bed. We are still in the process of turning the office into the guest bedroom. So much stuff to sort through. We have been getting a little done every weekend, but much remains.. I even tried to hire a student to come clean house with me this weekend for cash. But it is the end of the semester and everyone has tons of studying to do, including my husband!

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

P.S. started reading Ina May's Childbirth book. Was moved to tears while reading during my lunch break. Page 10 "A Story Of Sisterhood" Very powerfull.....

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#456 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 09:07 PM

Im Michelle, Mommy to Brianna who is 2 and Sydney who is 8 months. And I pregnant with number 3 due 9.18.04!

I got pregnant with number 3 after having my tubes tied! Pretty Crazy and Im still in shock even thought Im 19 weeks pg!!

I found out a week ago this one is a GIRL!! Cant believe it!!

Cant wait to meet everyone!!
#457 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 10:11 PM

Hi Michelle! Wow, after tubes tied??????????? Surprise surprise! I guess this one was meant to be! No stopping Mama Nature....

Jump right in, we are not formal around here!!

Caroline
#458 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 10:47 PM

Hello!

Ana, thank you so much for the card! What a sweet surprise!

Sarah, congrats on the house!!!

Kim, sorry to hear about your neighbor. I'm sure if he would have left the whole dirt charade out, you guys would have still listened to him. Why do people feel they have to go to such extremes???

Welcome Michelle!!!!

It's snowy and wet out tonight. I think I'm going to go curl up and read...
#459 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 10:49 PM

Snowing?? Where are you again? It was HOT HOT and sunny here today....

Caroline
#460 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 10:56 PM

Michelle, welcome! God has big plans for your little peanut, I'm sure...

Wardermom, glad you still jump into the fray from time to time. We've got a homeschool conference tomorrow; hubby's first one, my second. We'll homeschool my son for K/1st next year. A bit hectic with twins, but hubby plans to take up the slack.

Leigh, I had placenta previa with my first, they discovered it at the 20 wk ultrasound. By the time they had monitored it for a couple months, it was perfect. I'm sure yours will move out of the way, too!

Caroline, I'd love to have lunch or something when you're in Atlanta! Email me when it's getting close to time for you to come to work out the details. As far as I know, we'll be in town that week.

I can't keep it all together well enough to remember all the things in everyone's posts I wanted to respond to, like Anna Banana can. (I too enjoyed my May Day card surprise!) But Jen, I was tickled at the range of hobbies, too, from knitting to working on cars. I myself like to hand crochet rag rugs, rag baskets and rag bags. I'll try to remember to post a picture of those in my yahoo album.

In case you didn't read the Boobs thread, I posted my new 20 week belly photo we took today. It's also at Yahoo, but here's a direct link for those who aren't on the Yahoo group yet...

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2TRszcsWzj4
#461 of 469 Old 04-30-2004, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Why, why, why am I watching this adoption show on 20/20? I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out!
#462 of 469 Old 05-01-2004, 10:04 AM

Good morning-I hope you all had more sleep than me. I've been up since my 5:00 bathroom break and I couldn't get back to sleep. I might as well clean out my fridge, and in about 45 minutes I can go buy some groceries.

Savannah, your picture is beautiful!

I finally told my students that I was pregnant. They are really excited, though they won't be at our school next year. One of them told me she's been praying for me to get pregnant again (they knew about the last loss). So sweet. Another boy told me he just thought I was getting fat. Lovely. When my kids come in the room, some of the girls will hug me, pat my belly and say hello to the baby. I am lucky to have many sensitive, caring students. Of course, all the girls want the baby to be a girl BUT I have some news...IT'S A BOY!!!
We went to have an u/s for a variety of reasons yesterday, and thankfully everything looks good.

Caroline, we're in Denver. From what I hear, this type of weather is common during April, and we definitely need the moisture. Though, it's May now, and I'm hoping for some warm weather and showers. I'm sure the light blanket we do have will be gone by afternoon.
#463 of 469 Old 05-01-2004, 12:01 PM

Woohoo..another boy!!!! Congrats!!!!

Yuck, snow in April....(May), but yes, the moisture will be good!

Caroline
#464 of 469 Old 05-01-2004, 01:23 PM

Happy sleepy saturday!

I've got some news to share with you all..... As you may remember Jerome and I met with a midwife in our area last week and have been considering what kind of birth we would prefer. Well after lots of thought, reading and dicussion we have decided to.........have a homebirth! Ideally a waterbirth even! We actually shook on it last night, while laying in bed talking!

I'm getting really excited about the birth now. Of course I still have lots of fears and worries about what it will be like. i wouldn't be a normal pregnant woman if i didn't have some big old lurking fears, but... I am really looking forward to this passage into womanhood. I've been thinking about how badly i managed my earlier passage into womanhood, the poor choices I made concerning sexual partners... the situations I got myself into.... And i feel like this is a chance for me to take control of a major life passage. I am convined that this experience will shape me as a woman and a mother, and I want it to be the most empowering and positive experience it can be. And i believe the safety and comfort of my own home is the best place for that to happen.

JEEZ! I can't believe how pumped I am about this choice! Yipeeeee!!!

giddy goofy anna banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#465 of 469 Old 05-01-2004, 01:49 PM

Oh Anna, I'm happy for you!!! I hope you have the happy, healthy, blessed birth you envision!!
#466 of 469 Old 05-01-2004, 06:46 PM

Thank you, Greenbeing, and many congratulations on your BOY. What fun! I'm glad whatever sent you in to get the ultrasound worked out all right.

Anna, what exciting news! Jerome sounds like a great guy. I'm so happy for you and wish you the best of birth stories to share with us in a few months!

I guess I'll start posting on the May board now...

Savannah
#467 of 469 Old 05-03-2004, 12:27 PM

I hope you all had a great weekend... Greenbeing, congrats on the boy and on the decision!

Nothing more from our neighbor. We kept all of our cats in the house this weekend (they're still inside) but I noticed him chasing off two other cats on Saturday.

About the car and knitting, I know my projects are at opposite ends of the spectrum but both of them are reallly fun! And I'm much better at knitting than I am at the car. Jen, the Stitch 'n Bitch book has a bikini pattern, too, though I don't plan on making it this summer. I'm using one of the purse patterns from the book to do my Mother's Day gift. I'll have to look for the book with "Urban" in the title.

My husband came over and painted the front of the house. It rained here in Austin Saturday so we had to put it off until yesterday. I painted all of the trim and the doors. Big mistake! I'm so sore this morning. I almost called in sick but, since I have a desk job (yawn), I thought I'd be o.k. I'm so glad not to be coming back here after the baby is born. It isn't the worst job I've ever had but some of the women have been here for 20 + years. And those women, in particular, NEVER think outside of the box. If anyone ever presents a way of doing something more efficiently, their response is, "I don't think so, this is the way we've always done it".

Anyway, I hope everyone is feeling well. I can't wait to hear about all of your weekends!

Love,
Kim
#468 of 469 Old 05-03-2004, 12:35 PM

Hey Kim!

Come play catch up on the newest thread, it's already two pages long!!!!! "April showers bring may flowers"

Have a happy day!

Anna Banana

#469 of 469 Old 05-03-2004, 12:39 PM

Oops went to post on the wrong discussion.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page