It's April, Mamas!!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jen - What a great u/s! I loved getting to see Jack in his! Didn't you fall amazingly, unrevocably in love? How did you not find out? I could never have managed. Don't guess too much! You could have seen a section of the umbilical cord. Jack was playing with himself, so there was no mistaking it. What an introduction for me to boys! I only had sisters, so I was wondering what I was getting myself into!
#62 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 03:27 PM

That's hillarious, Sistermama!:LOL
#63 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 05:31 PM

Jen,

Awwww! Sounds like you had a fantastic sono - youre so lucky!

I went with a friend to her sonogram last week and we saw the umblilical cord between her babes legs and got excited thinking it was a boy - but she had another sono a few days later and shes actually having a girl! So you might still be surprised!

We wont find out the gender either, but I am dying to know. I seriosly dont know how I am going to wait, knowing that if I request a sono my midwife can probably order one for me...
#64 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Okay - just a quick rant - I HATE MY JOB!!!!!! I am so stuck here and I hate it! I am pregnant - whose going to hire me? I make way more part time than I would anywhere else and we can't afford a salary cut and I'll be able to bring the baby to work with me for a couple of months, which obviously I wouldn't be able to do anywhere else. So you're thinking - she gets paid good, she can bring a BABY with her - why in God's name is she complaining. But this place just eats away at my soul!!! Please God let dh's next year at school go by quickly so I can get out of this place!!!
#65 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 06:17 PM

Hey Jen!

It is so nice to hear from you! and with such awesome news!!! Must have been exciting, i can hardly imagine.

I am starting to get very excited about my scheduled ultrasound (next week) i finally broke down and agreed to have one. I really need to know why i am measuring so big. Is it twins? Is my conception date wrong? Gotta know.

Gotta go, work beckons!
Anna

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#66 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 06:19 PM

I hear you sistermama! Soul eating sucks!!!!

With love
Anna

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#67 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Anna. You know what's funny? I'm dying to know if you're having twins too! I don't know how you've been able to put the u/s off for so long!!
#68 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 06:58 PM

high falutin' morals, an overbearing, all natural, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, chiropractic, granolahead sister and a very stubborn nature... that's how I was able to wait this long. Te he heee.

Anna

#69 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 07:07 PM

Just to quickly say that I had the level 2 today....IT's A BOY!

Totally surprised and thrilled! Donny and my husband are beside themselves!

And we have decided on a name:
Finley James, but we will call him Finn!

Here's the not so great part.
Everything looks great, except they couldn't find the nasal bone. The tech couldn't see it, and the perinatologist thought he might have seen it, but the angle was really bad. Then, when he did get a good angle, he couldn't see it. It is a definite marker they look for for Downs Syndrome.

So now, my risk of having a Down's baby is 1 in 50.

Amnio is the only way to find out for sure, but don't know if I want to take that risk. It's a .5% (point 5, not 5%) of a risk of miscarriage. Not that much, but still. I have had 2 previous amnios, but they were all past 36 weeks, and only to check for lung maturity (long story).

I did not have the triple screen, but can go have one if I do it this week (results are no good after week 20).

They said that the level 2 must be preformed no earlier than 19 weeks, and seeing as how I'm 19 weeks just today, maybe that made a little difference, but I don't know. Maybe another ultrasound in a couple weeks will make a difference? The Dr. was kind of vague as far as this went.

We would not do anything different if we had a child with Downs, but I'm just the type who wants to know. You know? I really do. I do not want to go 21 more weeks worrying. And I want to know now, as opposed to the day the baby is born. It just seems like it would be a lot more peaceful of a birth, and less stressful the first weeks afterwards.
My husband is completely awesome about it. He is not worried, and does not care either way whether we find out now or later. He has such a great attitude about it, and I agree with him totally......but somehow it is more stressful for me, I guess.

Any advice or statistics would be greatly appreciated!

Jen-
Maybe we both have little boys????
#70 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 07:45 PM

My friend Sasha totally berated me (albeit good-naturedly) on the phone yesterday - "HOW CAN YOU NOT FIND OUT?!!!" she even volunteered to come and stand in the hallway just so the tech could whisper it in her ear - part of me would really like to know, but I find it difficult to convince people of the unique situation that makes us not want to know... most people cannot get their brains around the AI experience and how it can really script your life and take the excitement out of conception... although those of you who ttc for a long time can appreciate life being divided into follicular and luteal phases, I am sure.

Sprout has been very active today, I'm being kicked right now, it feels like. S/he kicked me too while we were at my mom's.

Danielle, congrats on your impending boy. Good middle name, that's ours too!! If you need to know just to put your mind at ease, I guess you need that amnio. AFP is frequently off the mark when it comes to Down Syndrome, I don't know if it would ease your mind at all.

Sarah I'm sorry that work is rough - I feel really lucky to have a job I love. How you feel about your job is how you feel, benefits or no. You technically can't be discriminated against in a new-job interview for being pregnant, pregnancy is classified as a short-term disability that is protected under the ADA, but that doesn't mean that your interviewers won't notice or consider it as part of your interview, sad to say. But if it's driving you too mad - I'd consider changing, for your health and your baby's!

Thanks for the warm welcome back the trip was great, the Sawtooth Mts were beautiful as always, and there had been a lot of snow this winter and it was melting, so there were a lot of spontaneous runoff waterfalls everywhere. We stayed at a really great resort in a teeny tiny efficiency cabin (the only drawback of the small cabin being that there was no way to not disturb Jo when I woke up hungry at 4 am) and were the only folks there for much of the time... even the owners went on vacation to CA the Saturday after we arrived!! The only drawback was that there had not been much melting by the time we got there so the majority of the hiking trails were very, very snowy/icy. we got about 40 ft into the Devil's Kettle trail and turned around. If I had had walking sticks maybe I would have tried it but without I fell *last* year, and there was a lot less snow and ice last year than this year. So... hopefully we can go up sometime in the summer, or maybe even with Sproutie in a backpack carrier in the fall (our favorite time for the north shore).

Finally: we noticed the Danish-American Center was having a rummage sale on our way home from my mom's today and stopped in - scored BIG on baby stuff - 2 blankets, about 8 pairs of socks and 15 hats/shirts/pants for $5. Most of the shirts and pants (and one of the hats) are baby gap, too, and none of them are pink or blue, woo hoo! We did not buy the multitude of onesies that were there because Jo said that if we did not leave *something* for people to buy us, they would get mad.

Did I mention already that I knit a baby sweater while on vacation? I got kind of obsessive about it. It is cute! Royal blue with rainbow flecks throughout. I need to go buy buttons for it.

Wishing you all well,

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#71 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 08:01 PM

Sarah, I know exactly what you mean about the job, I went through the same thing with my last "job", awesome money, easy hours, but I just hated it! Too hard to leave all that, so it was a good thing (at least for me emotionally) that they laid me off. Of course now I have to figure out how to make ends meet without a job because as you said, who is going to hire a pregnant woman, but whatever, we'll figure something out. I have some at home opportunities I am working on...

Danielle, congrats on the BOY news, so cool! Best wishes to you in your testing decision you now have to make.

Jen, sounds like a wonderful trip and u/s. Yay!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#72 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 08:04 PM

Hey 3under3

Congratulations! How exciting to see your little man!

I am awfully sorry to hear that the "establishment" has gotten you all worked up. sometimes it is just as hard to know things as to remain in the dark.... Hope you find a good solution to your worries.

hugs and kisses
Anna

P.S. Jen it sounds like a wonderfully relaxing trip and we missed your "terribly chatty" posts! glad to see you back on screen.

#73 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 08:59 PM

Hello!

Wow, so far 3 boys we know of, right??? Congrats!

Jen, glad to see you back and that your vacation and u/s were wonderful. Any way you could post pics of the sweater you made?? I would love to see it!

Danielle, do what puts your mind at ease. I'll be thinking of you and the decision you have to make.

Sarah, sorry to hear about your job. I've been there when I've just had to put up with it---it definitely can eat at you. Are there any things you could change about it to maybe make it a bit easier on your mind???

Looking forward to my appointment tomorrow with my midwife!

Those of you who have read Birthing From Within, have any of you tried the ice exercises at the end of the book?????
#74 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 09:35 PM

greenbeing,

I read Birthing From WIthin with my pregnancy with Paityn and did do the ice exercises. The hardest place for me to put it was on my wrist - Ouch!

I always tried to get my hubby to do it with me using his hands though and he never could/would. He is a total wuss. Its a good thing its me that has to give birth to the babies. I probably wouldnt like the decisions he'd make.
#75 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 09:37 PM

one more thing about the book. I never really mastered any of the other exercises in the book and I def. didnt use them while in labor. My fav. part of Birthing From WIthin was the taming your tigers part and all the stuff about how you think its "okay" to labor.... I really learned a lot about my fears through that book. I will prob. read it again this time.
#76 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 09:59 PM

Wow, another boy!! We are holding the market on boys around here!! 3under3, I am sorry the U/S gave you some worries. I would do more testing, maybe another U/S later on? The triple screen would do nothing for me, it is so finicky. Finn will be in my thoughts and prayers...

Jen, I can't beleive you could hold out! I was going to try, but htere was no way! I know what you mean about leaving something as a surprise, but the way I figure it, actually giving birth is surprise and miracle enough! Glad it all looked good!

Everyone else...who is next?

Caroline
#77 of 469 Old 04-07-2004, 11:44 PM

One of my friends is due in June and another friend is throwing her a henna shower! And I get to go! How exciting is that! I love henna art. Do you think I should get one on my belly around my navel? Usually they're done in the 3rd trimester, and at the time of the shower I'll only (only! ha!) be 21 weeks along, but I'm so tempted. Imagine the midwife's reaction when she lifts up my shirt to feel my uterus!!

I was already planning on getting one at the Powderhorn Art Festival - normally I get henna'ed ivy around my wrists. Since that's the first week of August I should have a nice ample 'canvas' for the artist to work on :LOL

Yours in henna art anticipation,

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#78 of 469 Old 04-08-2004, 09:56 AM

Danielle,

Congrats on your little boy! I love the name Finley, in fact, it was one that we were thinking of using.

About the marker for downs syndrome - is the amnio or another sono the only ways to tell for sure?

I think you should do whatever you can that will eliminate the need for worry (have another sono or whatnot to maybe get more answers). One good thing about finding out beforehand would be that you would have a chance to do lots of research and learn everything you could about D.S. - of course you could do that anyway I guess. I think I would want to know as well if I had gotten a sono and saw markers for that.

Either way, you are having a new baby boy and thats fantastic!

Good luck with whatever you decide!
#79 of 469 Old 04-08-2004, 09:59 AM

Anna,

What day is your sono next week? Man, all this talk of ultrasounds is making me so jealous. I want to see my baby.

Are you hoping for twins? Are you a little nervous?
#80 of 469 Old 04-08-2004, 10:02 AM

Good morning!

Lynsey, I, too, liked the perspective the book gave on fears. I found it extremely helpful that it encouraged you to confront those now and work through them. I'm the type who doesn't want to think about them (for example, having to go to the hospital/having a cs) because I sometimes think if I do, then I might bring them on. I know, sounds ridiculous, but ...
#81 of 469 Old 04-08-2004, 10:13 AM

greenbeing,

I dont think its ridiculous at all. I feel the same way. I do think that if you dwell on things - having an extremely long hard labor or something like that, you will bring it on yourself just because youve already been telling your mind thats whats going to happen.

With my last pregnancy I made a list of everything I was worried about and then wrote down what I could do to prevent that particular thing from happening and it really helped me stop obsessing about things.

I think I need to start making my new list now.
#82 of 469 Old 04-08-2004, 10:52 AM

We are going in on Tuesday afternoon. I am excited to find out some answers to our questions
1. Is it twins or not?
2. When am I due?
However I am worried that they will notice something that will be questionable, and then they will want more tests done and I'll get all worried about something that will prove to be nothing. also if it is twins i will be transferred to an OB and be labelled high risk and have to fight even harder for the birth i want.

If there is only one baby, then I think i might look into finding a midwife more seriously. So, I feel like I am just waiting now and can start making decisions once we know more.

Well Gotta run, work is calling
Anna

#83 of 469 Old 04-08-2004, 11:41 AM

I have to pick up Birthing From Within from the library again, I read it between pregnancies because I spotted it and had been wanting to read it. So I didn't go into any of the exercises really, but I would love to now. Is the ice exercise something about how you deal with pain? I would like to get into some of the art too.

Does anyone else find it strange that women who have never been pregnant don't understand that more than just your belly grows? I have run into this with a few friends, not understanding why I would need new undies if they are low enough to go under the belly. I just say something to the effect of, it ain't just your belly growing sister. I just find it odd because I already knew that, seems like I always have.

Hope your days are great. Its rainy and dreary here, but I am loving it, its actually a rare thing around here.

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#84 of 469 Old 04-08-2004, 03:13 PM

hey mamas!
i had a great appointment with my midwife this morning. uterus is measuring 16 cm, which is just a tiny bit ahead of schedule. heard the sweet ba-boom ba-boom so that was nice too. we talked some about the birth and i got so excited. yee haw! my hypnobirthing stuff should be coming in the next few days and i am looking forward to starting in on that.

i have 'birthing from within' from my pregnancy with noah. i really enjoyed it. i did the ice thing and didn't find it too difficult, but truth be told pitocin induced labor was a totally different thing. i definitely will re-read the book though this time.

looking forward to my prenatal yoga class tonight and hopefully lots of gardening and being outside this weekend.

jen, a henna shower sounds like so much fun. i can't wait to henna my belly! i've never done it before but brian gave me a kit from www.dharmatrading.com for my birthday. you'll have to take pictures for us! and i'd love to see pics of your baby sweater too. did you like the pattern you used? if so, what pattern was it? i really need and want to start knitting some for baby.

danielle, congrats on your growing boy!! and what a great name you have for him too. i am sorry for the concerns you are now having. i have no idea what decision i would make in that situation. lots of and strength to you in deciding how to proceed. just know that whatever decision you make is the right one for you.

sarah, i am so sorry you are stuck in a job you hate. that is a really yucky situation to be in. thank goodness it is not full time.

blueviolet (and others who aren't sleeping), i'm not sleeping well either. i don't get it either but it sucks!

speaking of sleep, i need to try to nap with noah. happy thursday to all,
chrissy

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#85 of 469 Old 04-08-2004, 04:18 PM

Jen,

The shower you are going to sounds really cool! I would like to do that this time, but I dont know anyone around here that does it. Do yall think it would look okay to henna over a tattoo? I have a butterfly tattoo under my bellybutton and it might look weird... When you have yours done be sure to take pics and send them to us!
#86 of 469 Old 04-08-2004, 04:23 PM

adventuregirl,

the book tells of several different "distraction" techniques or whatever you want to call them and I *think* that the whole point of the ice holding is NOT that its supposed to compare to labor (because it DOESNT!!! ) but it IS uncomfortable and you can practice the different distraction techniques while holding the ice to differnt parts of your body - in your hands, on your wrists (which was the hardest for me) and behind your ear. Its a really great book, my favorite. One of the artsy ideas they give is to make a special something out of clay to hold or look at while you labor. I think thats really neat and Id like to do that this time.
#87 of 469 Old 04-08-2004, 04:30 PM

Anna,

Thats the main reason I wont be having a sono, even though I am really wanting to. I am on the ICAN list (Intl Cesarean Awareness Network) and am very active with the N TX chapter (chapter leader) and I read stories all the time about sonos showing things that were never really there but that lead to many more things and that leads to something else...... Ive gotten lucky with my last 2 pregnancies but I figure my luck with sonograms will run out soon so Id better avoid them.

But I can completely see why you would want them and I am excited for you! I am living vicarously through all you girls who are having them. AND I dont mean any of that I wrote above to scare or upset you, its just what I have seen being involved in that particular community of women. But I know that most people have no problems at all and I am going to be quiet right now before I shove my foot further in my mouth.

Anyways, GOOD LUCK!!!
#88 of 469 Old 04-08-2004, 07:17 PM

Hey y'all!

Today has been a hat day. I didn't want to shower, and my hair was loking pretty snaggly so I opted for the hat, but the funny thing is how many freaking compliments I have gotten today, ON MY HAT! Seriously, it is getting hard to even thank people who tell me they like my hat. Granted, it is a cute hat but geez, does every person I talk to today have to tell me so.... Oh man, what a ridiculous thing to complain about! Sometimes I am so silly!

Tomorrow is the 9th, which my hubby and I alway's try to celebrate (Day we met, our First date, our wedding Day... etc) Every 9th we try to do something special with each other. What can I say, Newlyweds!
So, i think we are gonna have a picnic tomorrow (weather permitting) Otherwise, we have a gift certificate at a fancy Steak joint we have been holding on to for awhile. And then we must do some re-organizing in preparation for getting that NEW KING BED! Gotta make some room.

Eventually, we are leaving this weekend to go see family and do the Easter dinner thing. Should be fun.

I can't wait for today to END!!!!! I do not have to work Friday or Monday!!! Horrayyyy! I will be draggin my sorry self in to work for a few hours on Saturday, don't have to... I volunteered. Didn't want to have all the mail from Friday, Saturday and Monday waiting to be sorted on Tuesday. This way some of it will be done, and Tuesday won't suck quite so much. And I get to make up for the day i was sick and came in a few hours late this week.

Trying not to get worked up about my upcoming u/s. Must admit that I am REALLY curious about the twins issue..... I can't say if I do or don't "want" twins. Pregnancy is really freaking awful at times and it would be kinda cool to get two kids for the price of one... but am worried about coping with everything that twins would mean right now. Yikes!

Henna belly art can be really fun, but remember, it will only look as "pretty" as the artistic ability of those applying the designs. At my sisters blessingway, we dyed her belly, and it ended up looking kinda stupid. Different people all tried their hand at designs and they ended up looking weird. Human skin is a weird canvas, akward to brace your hand against, etc. people seemed hesitant to be in "full contact" with the belly while drawing. Also the applicator wasn't very fine tipped. Maybe different kits have better applicators included. You might want to bring along a really fine tipped paintbrush in order to create any intricate patterns.

I'm thinking about trying a belly cast, anyone have real life advice on doing them? i seem to recall someone had a website that had a lovely image of her last belly cast... can't remember who.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, now get off the computer and go play outside!

Anna

#89 of 469 Old 04-08-2004, 09:40 PM

Anna, here is my bellycast I did last pregnancy, and some directions:

http://home.earthlink.net/~eaglefalc...bellycast.html

Re: Birthing From Within, I really liked parts of that, didn't find the art therapy or ice cube thing helpful, and I really get put out every time I read her theory that pain is not only inevitable but necessary to giving birth : but I really loved the rest of it and often recommend it to friends.
#90 of 469 Old 04-08-2004, 10:39 PM

blueviolet, that is GORGEOUS!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page